[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NEU! Discussion - What are your thoughts on the album?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: Neu!.jpg (33KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Neu!.jpg
33KB, 600x600px
You know what, I'm just going to say it, NEU! despite its supposed influence on numerous artists throughout the 70's and beyond (see CAN, David Bowie, Kraftwerk etc.) is not all its cracked up to be. Not to sound fastidious though I have hyped this album up for years, longing to develop the musical knowledge to appreciate such a spectacle to its fullest capacity only to be let down enormously. The entire album is essentially a 4/4 motorik beat (if that, a third if not almost a half of the length is just silence) with a few tinny synthesizers thrown into the mix, its as if people listened to this and thought like bespectacled children "woooow! dual-panning! I've never heard this before!" before putting pen to paper writing numerous positive reviews for this faux-intellectual imprecation of a "classic album". Let it be known that there is nothing remotely "classic" about this - its just pointless forced-music that refuses to challenge any conventions nor engage the listener. Now that I've said this know that I've listened to the album around 7 times fully through and have tried both NEU! 2 and NEU! 75, both far superior albums in that they actually contain music and not just a series of scattered sound effects that, God knows why, are interpreted as being the voice of percussionist Robert Hooke laying the groundwork for the entirety of the Krautrock scene despite copying the beat straight off of CAN (the CAN meaning that they indeed can form a coherent beat).

Anyhow, your thoughts on this album?
>>
always found it weird that they were considered the same genre as can, they're really nothing alike
>>
>>73094010
You really think that people like Negativland and Hallogallo for their spechul effects? What an over-analysis of two seminal songs.
>>
>>73094061
Well what is there to those songs? They don't really develop of do anything, just a motorik beat with nothing really happening, is that supposed to be enjoyable or something? The entire albums just a soundtrack for being in a traffic jam in late-70's Berlin and having Bowie run up and jump on your car roof before screaming and masturbating incessantly, its just a mess.
>>
>>73094213
What is there to Yoo Doo Right or Mother Sky? Or Velvet Underground for that matter.

It's tightly preformed, groovy psych music. Progressive in its simplicity rather than over-the-top. I don't think it's the best album ever or anything, I only care for those two songs.
>>
It's like the black metal of krautrock.
That's a shitty simile, sorry.
>>
File: 1493788668864.jpg (25KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
1493788668864.jpg
25KB, 340x270px
I just wanted to say, thanks for this post friend. It's so refreshing to see an actual discussion post here.
>>
File: harmonia deluxe.jpg (32KB, 500x486px) Image search: [Google]
harmonia deluxe.jpg
32KB, 500x486px
Harmonia's second album Deluxe gets compared to NEU! as far as I've seen. Is it actually an accurate comparison? I'm about to listen to the album and I would like to know what to expect.
>>
>>73094653
Their debut album is mediocre, but I was pleasantly surprised by Deluxe, although I wouldn't consider it great.
>>
Reminder : it's pronounced NOY!
>>
>>73094028

That's kind of the entire point of the Krautrock label. The bands either rejected it or embraced it ironically because it's completely meaningless.
>>
>>73094332
Is it really tight though? I mean half the time they aren't even playing their instruments, I will admit to liking Hallogallo and especially Negativland a lot more than the other tracks but not to the extent of considering them "great" or anything above, though even then it doesn't really excuse the overall quality of the album.

>>73094622
You're welcome, always nice to hear.
>>
File: Neu! '75.png (253KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
Neu! '75.png
253KB, 500x491px
The first record is great but there is very little that compares to '75.
>>
>>73094717
>I mean half the time they aren't even playing their instruments
Is this a problem somehow? Do you discredit electronic music completely?
>>
>>73094713
Not true at all
>>
>>73094717
Well it's sparse because Neu! and the rest of Kraftwerk to an extent leaned towards German minimalist composers rather than the British/American psychedelica that Can seemed to like more. He's a very tight drummer even if the Apache beat or whatever is simple.

After that it's really opinion on which you prefer.
>>
>>73094889
Not particularly as they aren't blatantly emphasizing instrumentation in the manner that many krautrock bands do, and given that electronic music generally is far more listenable, has atmosphere, mood etc. and some degree of consistency as opposed to random synths that just seem budget and make the album annoying rather than interesting or special in any way, then it is clearly a grievance. This is probably the only case so far where I genuinely can't understand how one could like this album in its entirety, at least Pulse Demon had texture and was dance-able to the most minimal extent, but this just doesn't really do anything.

>>73094940
I'd have to try more of CAN's material and a lot more krautrock in general to truly give a valid judgement, though this album really puts the water in my latte, any stuff you can recommend be it articles and/or compositions that'd help me appreciate it?
>>
>>73094991
Get familiar with Can, they're the best of all the "big kraut rockers"
>>
>>73094991
>>73094991
Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, and early Kraftwerk can give you context as to why you might find Neu! boring.. Although those would be even tougher listens as they're way more sparse than this. This is all early electronic music, you should listen for historical purposes if anything. I'd imagine Stockhausen would be pretty brutal tho.

Can is pretty simple, you can go from their debut through to Future Days and see how it progresses from pretty standard psych rock to what Tago Mago is. By far the easiest krautrock band to get into.
>>
>>73094028
Because "krautrock" is just a stupid, mocking tag created by British journalists to refer to German rock bands from the 70's.

The bands were from different cities and had no relation with each other whatsoever.
>>
>>73095242
>>73095242
This is only half-true, it's a dumb media term but all of the bands weave a winding web you could follow forever. Jaki played with Michael Rother of Neu!, almost the entirety of Can studied under Stockhausen, Faust toured with Neu! and on and on.
>>
>>73094925

Great argument!
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.