[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to get into Swans? I listened to a few live performances

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: giriak.jpg (111KB, 658x520px) Image search: [Google]
giriak.jpg
111KB, 658x520px
How to get into Swans?

I listened to a few live performances on youtube and The Seer documentary from pitchfork and I liked what I heard, but I often get intimidated by getting into bands with such large discographies.

How did you get into their music? Also, what else is interesting to know about them trivia-wise? I read about Gira's bad temper, but only found one video of angering when his amp didn't work.
>>
>>73091759
Filth if you want noise rock
The Great Annihilator if you want goth and psychedelia tinged post-punk
The Seer if you want to start with the modern Swans post-rock sound
Soundtracks For The Bind if you want to dive into the deep end first
>>
File: 1399702083643.jpg (804KB, 2437x1448px) Image search: [Google]
1399702083643.jpg
804KB, 2437x1448px
>>73091759
>>
>>73091887
>>73091897
Thanks, that's very useful. I'm very much into post-rock so I'll try to go with that direction.
>>
Children of God sums up Swans pretty well
But yeah, if you like post-rock, go with The Great Annihilator
>>
>>73092077
Or The Seer, but it's pretty experimental compared to TGA and COG
>>
>>73092096
I've actually listened to The Seer, because I tried to start by listening to the post-reformation albums, I liked it very much, as well as My Father.
>>
Swans played so loud in my hometown that it's about to bankrupt the organizers who were fined by the city administration for exceeding the allowed decibel levels
>>
I was pretty much like you. To Be Kind is the best starting point, then go to The Seer or The Glowing Man. Then I basically went back to Filth and started just working through chronologically very very slowly
>>
File: 1467015680230.jpg (3MB, 3754x3394px) Image search: [Google]
1467015680230.jpg
3MB, 3754x3394px
>>73091759
This, as well at the other chart already posted are great guides. If nothing else, start and go chronologically so you can see their progression
>>
>>73092139
lmao
>>
OP here. I went with the post-rock direction from the chart and I'm digging Soundtracks for the Blind. Thanks y'all
>>
File: 5K5fXh6.png (184KB, 446x344px) Image search: [Google]
5K5fXh6.png
184KB, 446x344px
>tfw saw one of their 2013 shows when they were playing coward live again
>>
File: 1494923720846.jpg (61KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1494923720846.jpg
61KB, 1000x800px
>>73092462
Ayy np bro
>>
>>73092464
Damn, must've been killer
>>
>>73092571
gira kept spitting straight into the air and kept hitting cristoph hahn during the slow opening riffs. He was pissed.
>>
>>73092613
Wait, why? Did Gira disagree with playing Coward?
>>
>>73092629
No, he was just really feelin it.

didnt mean to hit him, he was leaning back so far it was going backwards towards him.

I should have clarified that cristoph was pissed because he was getting spit all over him with no way to stop because it was too loud to tell him to stop, not Gira was mad.
>>
>>73092653
Kek
>>
>>73092613
>He was pissed
Good way to get him into the mood of the song
>>
What isntances of Gira showing his bad temper are well known?
>>
>>73092464
that shit was dynamite. i was front of the crowd center stage. those stabs felt like literal stabs.
>>
I'll be honest with you, the best way to get into Swans is to go to a show. Before I went to see them I had a really deep respect for what they were doing musically but couldn't fully immerse myself into it. After seeing them live it all totally clicked, to the point where now my favorite part of their discography is so much different than what I initially started with (started with The Seer, now my top two are Cop and Public Castration).
>>
>>73094148
They came to my town a few months ago, but at that point i hadn't heard anything apart from Reeling the liars in, or a song of similar sound, so i thought seeing them ive would be only a good experience if I was familiar with their material. It's only recently as I checked them out more, that I realized what an experience their show is.
Not sure whether they would tour after the last one, just with a different lineup, or if Gira's gonna be touring with his solo material now only. I hope to see them once though
>>
Anyone heard Deliquesence yet? Opinions? I love their live albums and as many here have said the shows are often the best part of Swans so wondering if its worth the price
>>
Watched A Long Slow Screw video on youtube, then I listened to Children of God.

>>73095100
Still waiting for my copy. So cool that it one of the shows recorded for the album was the one I went to in Berlin.
>>
why is the band called swans?
>>
>>73095196
because they're really beautiful creatures with really ugly tempers or something like that
>>
>>73095196
i am the swan and the band is mine

t. m gira
>>
>>73095238
hi mike

stop raping people
>>
>>73095262
what rape? you mean my music? i am raping your ears
>>
I spent the entire summer of 2014 listening to their entirely discog. Started with TBK. Fell in love.
>>
>>73095288
>summer of 2014

fuck, all the things I'd do to go back there
>>
>Pitchfork
>>
>>73095479
Does the fact that pitchfork produced the documentary negate the fact that Swans were in it and they were the ones talking and performing?
>>
>>73095647
Link to documentary?
>>
>>73091759
I scrobbled them over night on mute
>>
>>73095736
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sdOvQjtUrg
>>
>>73095446
I don't know how you spent yours but I'm glad it was worth remembering. I wish I could discover Swans again
>>
>>73091897
!!!ATTENTION!!!

THIS CHART IS MISSING THE GLOWING MAN AND IS OUTDATED
>>
>>73095141
>Watched A Long Slow Screw video on youtube, then I listened to Children of God.
what a bizarre way to get into them
the fuck did you think at first; during/after A Long Slow Screw
>>
File: money.png (212KB, 558x462px) Image search: [Google]
money.png
212KB, 558x462px
Here's your money!
>>
File: vlcsnap-00017.png (517KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-00017.png
517KB, 720x540px
>>73098531
HOOOOOOLLLLLLLY
>>
Is there any moment on Public Castration that affects you more than "I'LL REMEMBER EVERYTHING" near the end of A Hanging, or that 'quiet' opening line, "I'll walk... fifteen steps..." that cuts through the tension after the explosive metallic noise at the beginning of Another You?

I'm curious about what exact moments of the album affect people the most, and why. Why does it feel so -however- to you? Anybody care to weigh in?
>>
>>73098531
KKSSSSH KSSSH HOOOOLY MONEY KSSSH KSSSSSSH HOOOOLY LOVE KSSSSH KSSSH HOOOOLY MONEY KSSSSH KSSSSSH HOOOOOLY LOVE
>>
I forget - which song on Public Castration has Gira devolve into screaming over and over something that sounds like "SHUT! SHUT! SHUT! SHUT! SHUT!" ? I love that bit. Anybody know/remember?
>>
>>73099518
Coward
>>
>>73099518
he alternates between "sharp", "shit", and "shut".
>>
>>73099604
That's what I thought. Thank you!
>>
>>73099621
Yep. But, do we know from where those words originate? Most of Swans' lyrics are written down in some form, even if they're nigh-incoherent and irrelevant to the text; yet, I've never seen a version of the lyrics that actually includes the "sharp, shut, shit" thing. Do you suppose it was just glossolalia or 'word-feeling' or something?
>>
>>73099664
I'm not sure if it's written anywhere. "Sharp" is probably written down somewhere, as it's clearly spoken on the secondary vocal track on Holy Money. As they do now, Swans songs have always transformed throughout live tours (very noticeable in Anonymous Bodies... and Swans Are Dead). Originally, the words devolved; they lost syllables as Gira became carried away during performances. After enough performances, some of them reform into coherent words. The new words certainly won't be written down anywhere, at least not in an official disclosure. I think that the way Gira stops making anything beyond the "ssh" sound, and allows the shrill (keyboard?) noise to finish the sounds for him suggests how those little orchestrations come into being.
>>
>>73099982
>Swans songs have always transformed throughout live tours
You know, even though I love their music, I feel like that this hasn't always been a positive. A recent case-in-point is Black Hole Man. I know for sure that a great deal of people (myself included), even now, prefer that original work to its incarnation as The Glowing Man.

I suppose that I simply wish that they recorded and archived *everything* they did, as opposed to just every tenth rework or whatever.
>>
>>73099099
Those voice cracks during Fool.
When the drums start up at the end of Fool and the piano fades out, leaving only the reverb of the toms to take over.
The more insistent doubletime clanging during Money is Flesh at 7:38
>>
>>73100870
>>73099099
Also those feedback spikes during the climaxes of A Screw and Coward. (Or is that a keys patch? Hard to tell.)
>>
>>73100160
i can agree with you when it comes to the knot, as the version on deliquescence was very different to the version i heard on sunday

i can't remember how the knot went on sunday, but when listening to the deliquescence version i can definitely tell something was different to the version i heard live, and it really bugs me in a way.
>>
>>73100160
Gira has said that they record 75% of shows. They're simply not released.
>>
>>73101409
Well, that's crappy.
>>
>>73100160
I cannot stand the tone of Pravdica's guitar in Black-Eyed Man. I think that the vocals sound awful as well. Why do you like it more?
>>
>>73101584
Black Hole Man, not Black-Eyed Man.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.