[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rappers are not musicians. Fight me.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 1494444565526.jpg (151KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494444565526.jpg
151KB, 1080x1080px
Rappers are not musicians.

Fight me.
>>
>>73087366
thats a photoshop btw
>>
I mean they literally are
>>
rappers aren't musicians unless they make their own music as well
rapping is basically just poetry set to beats and if you're only doing the lyrics then you're just a writer

>>73087372
yeah its cropped
>>
>>73087366
Musicians are people who play instruments

Instruments are objects that produce sounds to create music

Rappers use their mouths as instruments

/thread
>>
>>73087415
>rap
>music
>>
>>73087372
Krist Novoselic said it's real? Anyone have a source on this?
>>
>>73087431
he was trolling
he also said 2pac was in the picture
>>
>>73087366
No shit. They're not musicians. They're rappers. They rap. Now if you also make beats like Kanye, I guess that makes you a musician.
>>
>>73087424
>Implying
>>
>>73087415
By that logic everyone who has ever existed is a musician. Animals and inanimate objects too
>>
>>73087479
Life is love, life is music
>>
>>73087457
Nirvana would listen to N.W.A and shit sometimes on the tour bus. Kurt liked some hip-hop/rap
>>
>>73087431
biggie didn't get big until after Kurt died, also the van that kurt's in was the Melvins' touring van when he was their roadie while Nirvana was still in its very early stages
>>
>>73087505
Not to mention Krist was born in fuckin' Compton
>>
>>73087499
if I take a shit and rub it all over a wall somewhere, technically someone will call it art and technically I can be called a painter, but that doesn't really mean anything in the real world
>>
>>73087571
Don't knock it til you try it bro
>>
>>73087521
>>73087505
>>73087431
don't know if you guys are trolling or legit stupid
Ready to Die came out nearly 6 months after Kurt killed himself
>>
>>73087620
oops, forgot the picture, now i just look like an angry asshole with no real proof. but now i'm an angry asshole WITH proof
>>
>>73087574
>they too, use their vocals as instruments.
As MUSICAL instruments. Therein lies the distinction.
>>
File: avirex.jpg (55KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
avirex.jpg
55KB, 620x400px
OP here, you're all fucking retarded and rappers are still not musicians
>>
>>73087574
holy shit retard read his post again

dont make madlib listeners look bad again
>>
>>73087505
He also listed a couple hip hop songs that he likes in his journals
>>
>>73087521
To be fair, if I had the opportunity to mislead the internet into thinking that a band I was that became legendary was also hanging out with biggie and others in the rap scene who were huge at the time I would definitely take advantage of the opportunity. That shit will end up in textbooks dozens of years later because people are too lazy to double check
>>
>>73087393
>singers aren't musicians

Technically, yeah, but when people say "musician" they generally mean "musical artist" and something something voice as an instrument. Point is, saying that rappers aren't "musicians" if they only write/perform lyrics is kind of silly. Traditional singers are like stringed instruments, rappers are like percussion instruments. More of an emphasis on rhythm with relatively less melodic range (with the exception of keyboard percussion instruments like xylophone/vibraphone/marimba but you get my point).
>>
>>73087366
There are tons of rappers who can't rap in time because they don't understand how to subdivide rhythms. Yet, there are a load of rappers who can. Not to mention the many rappers who also know how to sing, produce and play multiple instruments. Sure, you have shitheads like Chief Keef who's a fucking retard, but that's like saying all rock is bad because of Nickleback, or that all jazz is bad because of Kenny G, or that all art-music is bad because of Danny Elfman.

OP needs to lurk more. The fact that you even say shit like this shows you don't know what goes on in the studio when hip-hop records are made. This is coming from a multi-instrumentalist who's followed hip-hop for almost a decade, played in orchestras, jazz groups and rock bands.
>>
i see biggie appearing a lot more here on /mu/

that's good because he's my favorite rapper ayy
>>
>>73087816
That's a slippery slope. I can take a terrence mckenna youtube video and slice it so that it's slightly rhythmic and then add it over a beat. That doesn't mean I can go do his wikipedia page and edit it to say he's a musician. Same with shit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ybegrx7Hs

Donald Trump is a musician.
>>
>>73087907
Then YOU are the artist, not the person whose voice you're turning into an instrument. There's a big difference between Gil Scott Heron or Listener or whatever "spoken word" artist and someone giving a speech. Part of that has to do with content. Part to do with intent. If I hit a snare drum to communicate in Morse code, that's not really art, that's just attempting to communicate with a vehicle that can be used for art. A rhythm in a song that happens to match up with Morse code is different from that, again because of intent. And context, I suppose. I get what you're saying about drawing lines or whatever, but I think the line is easier drawn than you're admitting.
>>
>>73088024
Adding to this since I just thought of it, you could argue that a speaker who engages in certain forms of rhetoric is an artist, but it's still distinct from art in a musical sense. MLK Jr. is an artist, but still disparate from Heron.
>>
>>73087571
What does it mean to matter in the real world though? People don't care enough to differentiate rappers as something else because normies whatever word you wanna use just hear it as music

sure some guy could see your shit on a wall as art and museums won't take it seriously but like rappers do have concerts and go on tour and people go to it to listen to music, they don't say like "I'm going to the writers festival featuring background instrumentals" they go to have fun listen to music, do drugs (optional), probably not pay attention to exactly everything they say. Just to go and have fun as anyone would at any other concert
>>
>>73087366
Technically they are, but the music they produce is low quality.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.