[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jazz General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: love.jpg (161KB, 1061x1059px) Image search: [Google]
love.jpg
161KB, 1061x1059px
I'm going to listen to a whole bunch of jazz today i've never listened to the genre but it always interested me.

im starting with bill evans discography,
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Vince guaraldi trio - Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus
thelonious monk - misterioso

and anymore you guys can rec me
>>
>>73075864
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Gone With the Wind
>>
>>73075864
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
Miles Davis - ESP
Wes Montgomery - Smokin at the Half Note
Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages
Michael Brecker - Tales from the Hudson
Pat Metheny - Questions and Answers
Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
Ben Monder Trio - Dust
>>
File: IMG_3791.jpg (46KB, 471x469px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3791.jpg
46KB, 471x469px
>>73075864
>>
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
>>
>>73075864
start with blue train from coltrane and kind of blue or in a silent way by miles
>>
>>73075864
https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/reviews,ss.rd
>>
>>73075864
Don't let Bitches Brew be your introduction to Miles.

People don't understand that that album is very challenging and abrasive, and is NOT an introductory jazz album by any means.
>>
>>73077108
yeah start with kind of blue. Also Sun ra - Lanquidity was my first jazz album and its one of my favorites still
>>
Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda
Alice Coltrane - Ptah the El Daoud

I personally prefer Alice of John but both are amazing musicians and have great discographies
>>
>>73075864
I would personally stay away from the more free jazz oriented stuff for a bit. Free jazz is a reaction to jazz and you really have to understand a lot of the context of jazz to understand what the guys who played it were going for.

I'd rec A Love Supreme and also
Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
Miles Davis - Four & More
Bill Evans Trio - Portrait in Jazz

Those are all kinda typical records as in the songs on them are reflective of most jazz as a whole (except kind of a love supreme, but it's so good it doesn't matter). You have set heads then set solos and end with a head. Those are also some of the most classic records with tons of great playing on them.
>>
why hasnt anybody recommended charlie parker?
bird and diz
jazz at massey hall
>>
this shit is so good
>>
>>73079129
cuz peeps are pleb and can't into 50s jazz

>jazz at massey hall
i'd rec complete sessions with those bud powell solo tracks, or just both 'amazing bud powell'
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.