[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

where do you find new music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1475700728414.jpg (68KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1475700728414.jpg
68KB, 645x773px
Hey /mu/

The other day, there was a thread about posting what people were listening to. There was a lot of good stuff in there, but there were also a lot of posts about how because so many people were using apps like Spotify for music, that it was creating a homogenous bubble that would drive /mu/ to become the same rehashed stuff over and over again.

I'm not really here to discuss that though, I'm more interested in what apps/websites/ways people find new music to listen to. Is it from this board, music apps, review websites, word of mouth, or what?
>>
Word of mouth
Websites
>>
I use discogs, RYM, and searching random words on slsk mainly. Also looking for bands members of my favorite band were in, that's how I discovered Moistboyz. Also if you're really dedicated, listen to entire label's discographies, I did this with Shimmydisc and found quite a few good artists I would've never heard of if I didn't.
>>
Sharethreads & generals

RYM charts

Exploring discographies & related artists
>>
>>73065935
Rym: lists, related artists, what have the musicians been involved with other than that
Read up on artists, scenes, genres on he internet
>>
One of my friends listens to an absurd amount of music, I almost always get great new albums from him. Other than that I just seek out music that is somehow related to the music I already like; whether it's similar, or was an inspiration for that music, etc.
>>
my favorite way is reading about musicians I like. They'll usually cite some influences or favorites of their own. It's hard to find new stuff but you can find some good stuff on bandcamp and rym by searching in the 2017 categories
>>
>>73065935
Honestly, one of the best ways to find music (for me at least) is looking into labels/movements, etc. If you like an artist, check out what label/scene they're in, and check out other stuff in that genre. Also watching interviews -notably the amoeba records "what's in my bag" series, is really good too. then look at the artists recommendations and research them, their label, etc.
>>
Spotify recs
Last.FM recs
/mu/'s chart+5x5 threads
Friends
Googling genres I'm interested in
>>
Pretty similar to what has been mentioned, I've got:

- The friend who's into a lot of music and recs stuff to me every now and then.
- Trusted websites (Sputnikmusic is my favourite, they are pretty fair and it's interesting to see the different opinions).
- Labels (I'm into anything released by Kscope, for example)
- Artists that influenced others (e.g. from Queen to Muse, from Muse to Royal Blood)
- By far, my favourite way is going to a festival. Go watch a band that you already like and check out other ones, probably smaller. The downfall is that you may become a fan after a show impresses you and you wish to see them again now knowkng all the songs lol
>>
RYM is the best way, also sometimes youtube, but RYM is the best way
>>
If you can get a good station going, i think pandora trumps all in terms of music "radio". but you have to be carefull about seeding, upvote sparsely, and downvote things that are way off.
>>
>>73065973
Here's some for when you're bored
>http://trackswap.com
>http://www.whosampled.com/six-degrees/
>http://www.gnoosic.com
>http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html
>albumoftheyear.org
>>
if all else fails, try tastedive.com. decent music recomendations if you are willing to sort through a bunch of obvious and unrelated crape
>>
File: Capture.png (3KB, 374x34px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
3KB, 374x34px
>>73065935
I fucking hate the people who inhabit this website and RYM but if you know how to use both of them correctly you can find amazing music through both, especially if you are a regular on sharethreads

I also talk to people regularly who like music and they end up recommending some great stuff too
>>
I have a couple things...

- A Google Keep doc that's just a running log of any albums I happen across. So like if I'm browsing /mu/ and I see a good recommendation or even just a cool-looking cover, i'll right click and add to keep. So I always just have a big pool of whatever when I want something new.
- People would shit on me a lot for this but I actually think last.fm does a really good job of recommending similar artists. You won't get super obscure stuff but at least for me, it just knows what I like. Found lots of really good stuff through there.
- If you're really looking for something specific then something like RYM just to use the charts & searches and stuff
- If you want random shit you can use gnoosic or other similar tools

This is all if you're interested in finding brand new stuff. There's two types of finding new things in my mind...1) finding stuff like what I already know, and 2) finding stuff that's totally off my musical radar. Hope this helps OP.
>>
>>73065935
pitchfork and needledrop if you want to be informed on the new stuff that everyone will talk about (it's fucking true).
>>
I use indiecurrent.com. Other than that I like to keep track of what I've been listening to and ask friends with similar taste for reccs until I have tons of albums to listen to.
>>
Scaruffi, RYM and Wikipedia
>>
Record labels are a godsend. Find a band you like and explore their labels catalog thoroughly. Many labels put everything on Bandcamp or their website these days.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.