[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went so wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

What went so wrong?
>>
Politics
>>
I'll give you a hint it starts with the letter N
>>
he was trying to impress his teenage daughter and brought in way to many guests with no clear direction
>>
>>73063907
Nu-males?
>>
>>73063907
Niggers?
>>
>>73063879
White guilt and Trump
>>
>>73063897
>>73063907
>>73063911
>>73063918
>>73064239
>>73064372
All this plus not enough 2-D

Still a few bangers in it tho
>>
A certain someone being absolutely butthurt over who won the US Presidential Election.
>>
>>73065588
>BANGERS
>>
>>73063879
when ur mum and dad conceived you just to shitpost on 4chan
>>
Gorillaz went full Rēddit. I hesitated to call them Rēddit music because I liked them but Damon just couldn't stop himself from making the ultimate DONALD BBRRRROOMPHHHPPTHH album, which would be okay whatever but the music is so unbereably uninteresting that the dumb ass propaganda just stands out more. I bet you anything /r/Gorillaz has a thousand "yeah fuck Donald Trump and fuck white people, I love Gorillaz!" threads up and they're all loving their virtue signaling niggerfest of an album.
>>
>>73063879
They forgot that music is - first and foremost - a form of entertainment.
>>
>>73065588
they released all the bangers as singles before album came out. rest is crap
>>
>>73065976
except he literally bleeped out any mention of trump or obama. why there is awkward edits in some verses
>>
(1/2) longer than usual analysis incoming. i've thought about this album a lot, probably way more than i should

so the concept is this: in the wake of uncertain and harsh times - like in the wake of trump’s election, a troubled relationship, sin and vice, or an era of smartphones and disconnection - how do we react? more specifically, what are the different ways in which different humans choose to react? humanz is like a compilation of different humans and artists answering that question, with some choosing to feel fear and loneliness, some choosing to indulge in substance and partying to enjoy the moment, and others choosing to fight back with love. all of this is done through an 80s pop / modern club hit aesthetic and sound.

however…

on demon days, damon had the ability to move from one topic to another from one song to the next. on humanz, however, because the overwhelming number of collaborators were probably given the same prompt by damon before contributing, many of them speak to the same issues on a number of songs. they don’t sing about these issues in radically different ways, and what results is a number of voices presenting the same few messages over and over again in a cluttered, confused, redundant, unsure, uninteresting presentation, with overstated themes of the smartphone era, trump’s election, the end of the world, and committing sin in indulging in greed or drinking/partying/living in the moment.

most songs are also flat out boring or uninteresting sonically. the artist’s voice is all there is to focus on. whether intentional or not, this works to the album’s disadvantage, adding to an inconsistent feel to the album - a lack of a consistently identifiable or memorable sound

some songs flow well instrumentally, thematically - andromeda into busted and blue, submission into charger; in most places, nothing flows though. most of the album retains the feel of a compilation of singles by miscellaneous artists (with production and...
>>
2/2

…occasional vocals from Damon Albarn)

interludes - do nothing for this album sonically and lyrically, as far as i can tell. they say little and barely help tracks flow into one another. i’d rather that tracks flow instrumentally like from andromeda into busted and blue. the album has no explicit “story”, so interludes barely contribute to the narrative. they’re too bare, too scarce, too unnecessary, just make the album feel more bloated. this album could be a much more accessible 14 tracks without them. the only interlude that says anything interesting, “the nonconformist oath”, isn’t even written by gorillaz - its directly taken from a steve martin skit.

many songs like we got the power, busted and blue, and ascension sound like good ideas or blueprints that, once developed on further, could turn into fantastic songs, but that otherwise sound half-baked. the album’s length shows for it, too - despite only having a whopping 14 core tracks, it’s only under 40 minutes

there’s a lot of interesting *reactions* to these uncertain times, but not a lot of solid, thought-provoking *commentary*. songs like carnival and hallelujah money are the few songs with solid lyrical commentary - on the other hand, the message of “technology is bad because it makes me feel scared and lonely as we are all physically disconnected - so just switch it off and enjoy the moment” is presented on at least FOUR songs, but no other legitimate commentary on technology is made. say something new, present interesting variety that’ll pull me in, don’t be so redundant

the songs on humanz are by all means good, but they’re far from great. they need work and fleshing out. they need better lyrical content. they need a more uniquely identifiable sound with more attention to production and instrumentals. they need to flow better and feel less like a compilation of singles when arranged together. i don’t hate this album, but i expected a lot more out of gorillaz.
>>
>>73066748
>>73066760
this
>>
Damon went try hard to impress his daughter with a collab album instead of a Gorillaz album

Momentz and She's My Collar are sick tho
>>
>>73066900
already been sed >>73063911
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.