[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: /lit/ music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: dylan.jpg (20KB, 317x400px) Image search: [Google]
dylan.jpg
20KB, 317x400px
ITT: /lit/ music
>>
File: 1401x788-75482115.jpg (147KB, 1401x788px) Image search: [Google]
1401x788-75482115.jpg
147KB, 1401x788px
>>
File: Tea_for_the_Tillerman.jpg (41KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Tea_for_the_Tillerman.jpg
41KB, 300x300px
>>
>>73050179
Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen, and David Thomas are pretty much the only musicians actually literature tier.
>>
>>73050500
I won't argue with Leonard Cohen being 'literature tier' and I'm not overly familiar with David Thomas; I do however know all of Nick Drake's (tiny) discography well. If you are genuinely suggesting Nick Drake is a better lyricist than Bob Dylan you are clean off your fucking head.

>With your mercury mouth in the missionary times,
>And your eyes like smoke and your prayers like rhymes,
>And your silver cross, and your voice like chimes,
>Oh, do they think could bury you?
>With your pockets well protected at last,
>And your streetcar visions which you place on the grass,
>And your flesh like silk, and your face like glass,
>Who could they get to carry you?
>Sad-eyed lady of the lowlands,
>Where the sad-eyed prophet says that no man comes,
>My warehouse eyes, my Arabian drums,
>Should I put them by your gate,
>Or, sad-eyed lady, should I wait?

Bob Dylan is the greatest songwriter of all time. He's up there with Rabbie Burns for me, and as a Scot that means a lot.
>>
File: Simon & Garfunkel - Live 1969.jpg (144KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Simon & Garfunkel - Live 1969.jpg
144KB, 1000x1000px
>>
>>73050500
Nick Drake is good but his music hasn't had no where near the musical and cultural impact of Bob Dylan's song writing
>>
>>73050500

I can't feel you anymore
I can't even touch the books you've read
Every time I crawl past your door
I been wishin' I was somebody else instead
Down the highway, down the tracks
Down the road to ecstasy
I followed you beneath the stars
Hounded by your memory
And all your ragin' glory
>>
>>73050721
The sad part is that you actually believe Bob Dylan is a better lyricist. Bob Dylan isn't even a good lyricist. Bob Dylan is the equivalent of purple prose. He uses elegant artsy metaphors for rather simple, low brow topics. Nick Drake is a master of aesthetics and symbolism, something Bob Dylan never even came close to being in his career (despite his ham fist efforts on Highway 61).
>>
>>73051134
Nick Drake was a waifish self-pitying stoner cliché whose lyrics are forgivable only taking into account his age and naïveté. There is not a single Nick Drake song that can stand up to any of Bob Dylan's best works. I was obsessed with Nick Drake as a teenager yet right now I am struggling to recall any of his lyrics besides Cello Song and Parasite - the latter isn't even a particularly good song. The only reason Nick Drake is popular is that he had a pretty voice and died a tragic death.

Clearly you dislike the cryptic side of Bob Dylan's work (that's your failing by the way), so here's a beautiful song packed with imagery that manages to be both erotic and dignified at once. If Nick Drake could have written like this he wouldn't have died in obscurity. This song is clearly not guilty of any of your spurious allegations.

>Lay, lady, lay, lay across my big brass bed
>Whatever colours you have in your mind
>I'll show them to you and you'll see them shine.

>Stay, lady, stay, stay with your man awhile
>Until the break of day, let me see you make him smile
>His clothes are dirty but his hands are clean
>And you're the best thing that he's ever seen.

>Stay, lady, stay, stay with your man awhile
>Why wait any longer for the world to begin
>You can have your cake and eat it too
>Why wait any longer for the one you love
>When he's standing in front of you.

>Stay, lady, stay, stay while the night is still ahead
>I long to see you in the morning light
>I long to reach for you in the night
>Stay, lady, stay, stay while the night is still ahead.

I feel sorry for you, it seems you wouldn't recognise genius if it punched you square in the face.
>>
>>73051486
Nick Drake lyrics was always his worst part about his music. Nevertheless he is no doubt one of the greatest singer/songwriters because of his great skill to put his emotions into music. That's what all artist should strive for.
>>
File: bill-callahan1.jpg (49KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
bill-callahan1.jpg
49KB, 500x250px
His songs really do have an unadorned, yet poetic quality. I would very much consider him a /lit/ songwriter and not in an overly obnoxious or obvious way either.

>When I take the prisoners swimming
>They have the time of their lives
> love to watch them floating
>On their backs
>Unburdened and relaxed

>I sit in the tall grass and look the other way
>And when I haul them in they always say
>Our sentences will not served
>We are constantly on trial
>It's a way to be free

>Most nights I go for a drive
>To the highest place I can find
>Stand there on a cliff with gooseflesh
>Watching the wind rip the leaves from the trees

>Death defying
>Every breath
>Death defying

>Soon we will all be back in the yard
>Behind the wall
>Living hard
>Dreaming of cool rivers and tall grass
>We are constantly on trial
>It's a way to be free
>>
File: nickcave2.jpg (9KB, 236x232px) Image search: [Google]
nickcave2.jpg
9KB, 236x232px
>>73050179
>>
>>73051134
embarrassing
>>
>>73051550
Not him, but are you saying that Bob Dylan didn't do that? Neil Young disagrees with you:
https://youtu.be/bmADAA97RTI
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.