[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to start with Bob Dylan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: news-13-03-van-dyke-parks.jpg (12KB, 470x311px) Image search: [Google]
news-13-03-van-dyke-parks.jpg
12KB, 470x311px
>>
That's not Bob Dylan, that's Van Dyke Parks.
>>
>>73045624
John wesley Harding is his best album imo, I'd say just listen to a few songs and see which you like, then listen to that album.
>>
Damn, Will Toledo aged quite a bit, didn't he?
>>
Bringing It All Back Home, Highyway 61, Blonde On Blonde, Blood On The Tracks
>>
>>73045646
my sides
>>
File: bringing-it-all-back-home.jpg (135KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
bringing-it-all-back-home.jpg
135KB, 800x800px
As a Dylan nut I'd recommend Bringing it all Back Home as a starting place. Great mix of both electric and acoustic, contains both lighthearted fun songs and some of his most scathing lyrics alongside several of the best songs of his entire career (and if you ask me, the best songs of all time). After that, you wouldn't go far wrong going chronologically but don't miss out on the earlier folk and protest material (especially The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan).

I'd say his best album is a toss up between Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks, but I don't think these are the ideal introduction as the former is cryptic to the point that may be off-putting to the uninitiated, whereas the latter is a bit of a black sheep in that it's very obviously about his divorce and at times deeply depressing (but brilliant).
>>
>>73045646
>WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT CHUBBY LITTLE KID
>>
>>73045780
Mono or stereo?
>>
>>73045809
Stereo, no doubt about it in my mind.

*Edit on my previous post - Blood on the Tracks is not about his divorce, his separation I mean. He hadn't divorced at that point.
>>
>>73045624
If you want an easy and satisfying start, then listen to Freewheelin'
>>
File: 719BGLk3lNL._SL1207_.jpg (218KB, 1201x1207px) Image search: [Google]
719BGLk3lNL._SL1207_.jpg
218KB, 1201x1207px
>>73045936
It's a superb album, only reason I didn't recommend it as a starting point is that in this day and age of short attention spans I fear it's not indicative enough of his style to reel in those who aren't already fond of acoustic.

As a side note, definitely one of his best album covers.
>>
Call me a pleb but I started with a greatist hits compilation. After that I went with Freewheelin'
>>
Almost all of Dylan's albums manage to be interesting, even the shit-tier 80s ones, but his two main creative peaks were in 1962-66 and 1974-76.
>>
File: 51shzlXiLRL.jpg (47KB, 497x500px) Image search: [Google]
51shzlXiLRL.jpg
47KB, 497x500px
>>73046187
I honestly don't think it's plebby, just try not to get stuck in the trap of only listening to the greatest hits compilation. This album introduced me to Dylan when I was 14 and I've been hooked since then. I'm 28 now and I still listen to it occasionally, I love the version of You Ain't Goin' Nowhere on it and The Mighty Quinn. Also a great CD for the car.
>>
>>73046254
>This album introduced me to Dylan when I was 14
same here except I was 15. My favorite albums are the mid 60s electric trilogy along with the live shows from 1966.

https://youtu.be/-AN2rfP6Wcc
>>
>>73045624
Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, Highway 61, Freewheelin.
>>
File: guesswho.png (131KB, 428x317px) Image search: [Google]
guesswho.png
131KB, 428x317px
>>73045624
>>
>>73046541
Awesome vid anon. I just ordered No Direction Home on blu ray yesterday, had the DVD years ago but lost it before I got a chance to watch it. Can't wait.
>>
>>73046713
>No Direction Home
I also suggest the bootleg series from around that time period. It's a goldmine
>>
>>73045624
Start with Bringin It All Back Home lot's of artist have said it as an influence
>>
>>73046825
I'm in the process of trying to work my way through all of Dylan's material right now so I will definitely get to it, my partner of four years and I broke up recently and obsessing over Dylan has helped me retain my sanity above all else. Blood on the Tracks must be the best break up album of all time, I cried for the first time in twenty years listening to If You See Her Say Hello on repeat.
>>
>>73046917
Well you got a long catalogue to go through. Hope things begin to look up for you.
>>
>>73047177
Cheers anon, they already are thanks in no small part to Dylan. If anything being callously dumped by someone you love is pretty fucking useful for enhancing your appreciation of songs of love, hate, suspicion and resentment.

It helps that my ex seems very similar in personality to Sara Dylan and is the absolute spitting image of a young Joan Baez, I could easily picture her round Dylan's arm. I think of no one else when I hear Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.