[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Totally know to vinyls, so sorry for my ignorance and stupid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: record-player.jpg (33KB, 550x360px) Image search: [Google]
record-player.jpg
33KB, 550x360px
Totally know to vinyls, so sorry for my ignorance and stupid questions.

How do I know if poor sound quality is the fault of my record, or the record player itself?

How often do record come scratched? If my music is skipping is it ALWAYS because it's scratched, or could there be other reasons?

I ask because the other night I picked up my first vinyl and when I went to listen on my friends player, the sound quality was garbage and it skipped in 2 different spots. The record was new from the merch booth at the bands concert, so I'm hoping it's the needles fault or something.

Anyone mind giving me some advice? Again, I'm totally new to this so feel free to talk down to me like a child. I really have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
File: mark holly boy.png (355KB, 847x686px) Image search: [Google]
mark holly boy.png
355KB, 847x686px
>grammar
>>
File: 1476162716478.jpg (5KB, 191x178px) Image search: [Google]
1476162716478.jpg
5KB, 191x178px
>>73039845
>this grammar
>>
>>73039914
>>73040073
Thanks guys, but I really didn't come here for an English lesson.

[spoiler]cut me some slack, it's not my primary language[/spoiler]
>>
>>73040124
It's not my FIRST lenguage
>>
>>73040124
Ok, i think the problem can be the record player, If you have another one available try it on it.
You can also look for some supplys to clean your record, one of mine used to skip but once I cleaned it, it stoped skipping and the sound became even clearer.
Also, refer to vinyl in plural as records, people tend to get mad when you call the "vinyls", it's an advice as someone whose first lenguage is Spanish and I been trying to improve my English.
>>
>>73039845
What turntable did you use. If Crosby or the cheap audio technica I wouldn't jump to negative conclusions about the quality of the record itself.
>>
>>73040269
Crosley I think it was called
>>
>>73040314
It was definitely a cheap one though. He said he got it from Target so I assumed it wasn't exactly top of the line
>>
Okay so record players aren't computers, so troubleshooting requires more of a guess-and check approach. I can't diagnose your problem over the internet; you have to fix this yourself. The way you do it is you narrow down the potential culprit, starting with the most likely causes first. So here, I'll help you out.

>PROBLEM: The (new) record is skipping on a cheap turntable.

>#1 likely cause: The slip-mat was dirty and transferred dust to the record; now the record is dirty.
>Solution: wipe the record and slip mat (or equivalent area) off. Try again.

IF IT'S STILL SKIPPING:

>#2 most likely cause: the needle is dirty.
>Soultion: wipe the needle off

IF IT'S STILL SKIPPING

Time for some sleuthing. Play the record. Is it skipping in the same place over and over again? Examine the record. Does it look damaged? Try to figure out the point in the record where the skipping occurred. Examine that area. How does it look?

>#3 likely cause: the record has some stuff in the grooves that wiping didn't dislodge.
>solution: wipe more thoroughly with water

Question: Does your turntable have a counterweight? If it does, try decreasing the weight of the counterweight. Does the skipping persist?

Question: Are you sure the record is skipping? Watch the record spin. What is happening?

And you just keep going like that, checking to see if other records skip, etc. until you can isolate the problem.
>>
>>73040314
Yeah lots of my records will skip on my friends Crosley but play fine on my turntable. Also if you use the built in speakers that will negate any benefits vinyl brings to the sounds quality.
>>
>>73039845
>>73040314
This is bait right?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.