[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could hair metal come back if it were updated sound wise and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: stick13.jpg (75KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
stick13.jpg
75KB, 630x420px
Could hair metal come back if it were updated sound wise and combined big hair with modern fashion.
Im thinking a more erotic deftones type vibe plus maybe some post metal but dressed like Mötley Crüe and a bit more pop.
Is this the recipe for creating a monster?
>>
>can a fashion trend come back

If big cooperation decides to push it back to the market
>>
File: 5181Z0MJ65L.jpg (50KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
5181Z0MJ65L.jpg
50KB, 500x447px
>>73032785
I see more of a T.Rex kinda vibe coming back soon desu
>>
>>73032785
>Could hair metal come back if it were updated sound wise and combined big hair with modern fashion.
Fortunately not.

Some bands (like Black Veil Brides) tried that, they did not bring it back, they simply carved out a niche for themselves.

Cause here's the thing: if you "update" glam metal, it's no longer glam metal. Black Veil Brides is post-hardcore with a few glam metal elements.

And as a result it's shit.

It's like with every trend: if you try to bring it back by "updating it", you just fuck it up and it no longer feels like the original thing.
>>
>>73032785
>Is this the recipe for creating a monster?
That's the recipe for creating shitty alt-rock like early Radiohead
>>
No, New Romantics are due a reboot. And god help us all when that happens.
>>
>>73032858
New Romantics had good fashion and music taste.
>>
>>73032785
New bands attempting to update the '80s hair metal sound pretty much always fall flat on their face.

Just look at shit like Crashdiet.
>>
>>73032832
Im not saying to bring back 80's hair metal, im saying to update hair metal for a modern age, hair metal 2.0.
A new wave of hair metal, something with more depth, but still with big hair, and sort of erotic and sexual lyrics, and a bit pop.
>>
>>73032890
So, NOT hair metal, then?
>>
Like i want it to be hair metal, but also sort of alt rock if that makes sense.
Sort of like motly crue, but experimental and poetic, but still sexual and drug filled
>>
>>73032890
We understood that, and we're explaining you that the result would be shit, and wouldn't be commercially successful.
>>
>>73032900
Yes, you moron, i said in the first post, an updated hair metal
>>
>>73032916
im not interested in commercial success, just something unique.
>>
>>73032890
The Darkness?
They came and went.
>>
>>73032932
No, im saying to fuse the hipster with hair metal, hair metal fashion, with sort of an art metal sound.
But a bit more mainstreamish.

I think you people are being purposefully dense now
>>
>>73032905
You don't understand the appeal of glam metal if you want it to be like alt-rock.

There are several glam metal albums that are experimental and poetic. But they do so without being lame and wimpy-intellectual like alt-rock.
>>
>>73032917
"updated hair metal" =/= hair metal

how hard is that to comprehend?

>>73032929
Then you're not interested in hair metal and you were lying when you said you wanted to "bring it back", because that means commercial success, trends, and imitation.

Go jerk off to some obscure weirdo indie band if you want something "unique" instead of hair metal.

>>73032966
artisness+mainstream appeal = hipsterdom

that is plainly obvious to everyone except you.
>>
>>73033002
the only way to bring it back would be to updated, playing the same shit from the 80's wouldn't work.

Think, axl rose, in hipster glasses
>>
Hair Metal's weakness was being too poppy for its own good, and not consistently aggressive enough to be perceived as "legit" by most obsessive metal fans.

It relied too much on catchy singles, and not enough on the album-focused formula that helps create a lasting cult following and to cultivate a genre.

As a result it fell by the wayside as soon as the bizsuits decided to promote something different.

Interestingly, the most popular and effective hair metal songs were NOT necessarily the poppiest, they were usually the most aggressive and primal. The ballads were also very popular, but they were often perceived as "too wimpy" by metal purists, and eventually the young girls they were aimed at grew bored with them.

The problem is that they banked too much on the ballads and not enough on the stronger, more "metal" tracks.

In order to work, hair metal has to strike a subtle balance between poetic, melodrama and aggressiveness, and unfortunately it leaned a bit too much towards the former for its own good. It was a bad move, especially in a genre that promotes "extremeness" and built itself upon an over-the-top image.

More experimentation would certainly have helped, but going more poppy, softer, more "alt-rock/post-metal" would only castrate it, and prevent it from achieving durable success and artistic purity.

In order to reactivate hair metal in a real way, you would need to make it more powerful, more bombastic, edgier, more "extreme", and to make it really explore its own aesthetic in an assertive way, instead of watering it down with more current trends.
>>
>>73033063
axl rose in hipster glasses isn't axl rose.

So it doesn't count as "bringing it back". What you have in mind is creating something drastically different that only has a few superficial elements of a previous trend.

Kinda like what Black Veil Brides are doing, except that instead of hipster music, they're doing post-hardcore bullshit.
>>
>>73032905
Have you ever listened to Jane's Addiction?
>>
>>73033063
Glam metal for nu-males, then.

Doesn't work, the two aesthetics are not compatible, it would be incoherent and fucked-up.
>>
>>73033189
>What you have in mind is creating something drastically

Yes, i said in the first post to bring it back by updating it.

Why the fuck is mu so hostile and illiterate tonight?
>>
>>73032785
please no, as some guy above said, updated hair metal =/= hair metal, you ignoring the fact those bands wore that hair and clothes because it was trendy atm, it's not trendy at all now. Besides hair metal relied on the fact that rock was popular af back in the 80's... not anymore im afraid
>>
It's awful

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5DpKFLG8p3Y
>>
>>73033271
We're explaining you repeatedly that "updating it" the way you suggested would NOT bring it back, it would result in something that cannot legitimately be called hair metal.

do you understand what we're explaining you?
>>
New York Dolls back in 1973 where actually a really good band while for a bit. They where a mix of rockabilly American sound with metal rolling stones type sound. It was pre hair metal.
Outrageously flamboyant

They kind of just disapred into the whole mid 70s rock scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgZHXF-FaOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJRfx-19U84
>>
>>73033320
yeah, a big stylistic staple of glam metal is that rolling stones grooviness that completely disappeared from mainstream music in the 90s.
>>
Glam's making a comeback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQbOA3r0Hgc
>>
Steel Panther is just a parody band, but still one of the best to ever exist in a genre they're making fun of. Should tell you everything about where it belong.
>>
>>73033189
>axl rose in hipster glasses isn't axl rose
I understand what you're trying to say but what the fuck
>>
File: 220px-Waspcrimsonidol.jpg (13KB, 220x218px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Waspcrimsonidol.jpg
13KB, 220x218px
reminder that glam was perfectly concluded with this album
>>
>>73035637
I thoroughly agree

but I still want it to come back.
>>
>>73032858
new romantic is my favorite 80's trend
>>
>>73033194
not glam at all. they were a product of the late 80's LA thing that happened in between hair metal and grunge
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.