[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who wore it better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: splhcb v woiiftm.png (1MB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
splhcb v woiiftm.png
1MB, 1000x500px
Who wore it better?
>>
File: R-626642-1161770580.jpeg.jpg (154KB, 502x502px) Image search: [Google]
R-626642-1161770580.jpeg.jpg
154KB, 502x502px
>>73031185
Macabre.
>>
>>73031198
>band has two drums
>>
>>73031185
Well, Zappa made the whole album ironically, including the cover, so the Beatles inherently had more originality in their attempt.
But maybe Zappa's irony is just as original, idk.

I love both albums. They are both some of their best works.
>>
File: We did it better.jpg (122KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
We did it better.jpg
122KB, 700x700px
>>
>>73031242
>the Beatles inherently had more originality in their attempt
How exactly does that follow? Doing something with a sense of irony doesn't make it derivative. And it's pretty clear the two albums sound nothing alike
>>
Zappa had the real Hendrix so he wins by default.
>>
>>73031350
I mean, he ripped off the design. You can call it parody but that doesn't change the reality.
>>
>>73031550
Ripped off the design? Like that's what truly matters.
>>
>>73031577
Whatever
>>
>>73031185
Zappa > Beatles.
>>
>>73031550
I don't think you understand how satire operates. At any rate you said
>Zappa made the whole album ironically
which is contentious in itself, but even if he
>ripped off
the cover design, he certainly didn't rip off the Beatles' sound on Sgt. Pepper's (which is really just sanitized psych-pop, right?)
>>
>>73031630
I'm not the first poster.

And this thread is (I think) about the cover designs, not the music contained therein. So any discussions pertaining to that aren't necessary.
>>
>>73031630
I think this may be the beginning of chaos in this thread. We'll see.
>>
>>73031651
>>73031493
>>
>>73031651

desu i was also hoping in some discussion on the album themselves

>that streak from "Who Needs the Peace Corps" to "Absolutely Free"
>>
>>73031670
I hate just about everything Zappa has ever done.
>>
>>73031550
Actually he called McCartney and asked if he could have permission. He obliged, but the label forced them to use the inner sleeve for the cover art instead.
>>
>>73031702
McCartney giving him permission doesn't change anything, it just meant he consented. The act itself is still that.
>>
File: Essential-bill-monroe.jpg (54KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
Essential-bill-monroe.jpg
54KB, 500x498px
>>73031651
Let me ask you: is Don Quixote worse than the forgotten romances it partly parodies?
>>
>>73031693
>>73031652
And there we go.
>>
>>73031651
Let me ask you this: is Don Quixote somehow worse than the medieval romances it parodies? Is any re-appropriation of a "design" doomed to be worse than the original?
>>
>>73031714
That's the point. It's a parody. It isn't deeper than that anon. Lighten up.
>>
>>73031718
>>73031749
kek double posted
>>
>>73031741
I actually tell a lie, Watermelon in Easter Hay is a jam, but aside from that he's nowhere near as interesting or funny as he and his fans seem to think. If his humor or insight doesn't land he's just insufferably smug, and this pervades every aspect of his work.
>>
>>73031753
I'm not condemning him for it, it's just that the anon giving The Beatles points for originality was right.
>>
the composition in Zappa's is reminiscent of Bosch or Bruegel, how can the Beatles compete with their campy lullaby of a cover?
>>
The punx wore it best!
>>
>>73031762
I dislike his humor and "commentary" too, except, funnily, on We're Only in it for the Money, where I think it mostly works
>>
>>73031762
Insufferably smug? You haven't listened to a single interview with him or you're the type of person who simply cannot fathom music with a sense of humor, which is more likely. There are also death and black metal parody bands which are hilarious and amazing for me, but most likely unfathomable for true metal fans. I understand that.
>>
>>73031762
The humor is secondary. It's there to make otherwise insufferable prog rock and fusion listenable to a normal music goer. Although I will admit You Are What You Is has some of the best social commentary I've ever heard in music.
>>
>>73031950
Underrated album. Good choice.
>>
>>73031950
>Zappa
>For normal music fans
Not really. Bobby Brown was a song to slow dance to in Norway when it came out, but that certainly wasn't his intention.
>>
>>73032031
I'm speaking in commercial terms. Because when Zappa was alive that's how music was. It's hard for people from the last two decades to understand.
>>
File: 51EI0iXXMCL.jpg (52KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51EI0iXXMCL.jpg
52KB, 500x500px
Fun fact: Bob Dylan's John Wesley Harding is an inversion of Sgt. Pepper as well. He didn't like Sgt. Pepper and made this album as an antithesis. Instead of this fictional aristocratic Sgt. Pepper, he named the album after a real outlaw named John Wesley Harding. Instead of the lavish sound production and innovation, he went back to his roots as an acoustic folk singer. In the Sgt. Pepper era that's when The Beatles got more political, so he made a song called Wicked Messenger about him effectively not being political anymore, and it's the second to last song on John Wesley Harding. The last song is "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight," a simple love song. The cover is also an inversion of Sgt. Pepper. Sgt. Pepper had The Beatles surrounded by famous musicians and celebrities. John Wesley Harding shows Dylan with two obscure South African musicians and his gardener. It's a real interesting piece of work. Apparently, when Paul McCartney was at Dylan's home, he showed him an advance copy of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Dylan's only response was, "oh I get it, you don't want to be cute anymore"
>>
>>73032110
This is great, I never knew this. I have even more respect for Dylan now. Thank you.
>>
>>73032110
>Dylan's only response was, "oh I get it, you don't want to be cute anymore"
Jeezus thats harsh
>>
File: 2994900.png (134KB, 264x334px) Image search: [Google]
2994900.png
134KB, 264x334px
>>73031267
thanks for putting in noel
>>
>>73032110
>Dylan's only response was, "oh I get it, you don't want to be cute anymore"

Wearing moptops and identical suits is just as commercial as their Sgt Peppers get up. Don't understand what Dylan really meant by this.
>>
>>73032873
>>73032149
>>73032110
He was probably just bustin their balls. He and George actually became quite good friends and I'm sure there was a ton of mutual respect between all of them.

"“I’m in awe of McCartney. He’s about the only one that I am in awe of. He can do it all. And he’s never let up… He’s just so damn effortless.”
>>
>>73031185
One artist is trying to create something that is new and unique. While the other "artist" is just trying to be ironic and ripping on shit that's actually 10 times better than anything he could ever come up with.
>>
>>73032991
Pop stars trying to create something new and unique? That's pushing it.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.