[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is this so much better than AA?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: Grimes_-_Visions_album_cover.png (175KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Grimes_-_Visions_album_cover.png
175KB, 300x300px
why is this so much better than AA?
>>
Visions was a good balance of her earlier experimental bedroom pop with more accessible sounds (though I still prefer stuff like Geidi Primes). AA lost the sounds that made Grimes' work before it interesting (including Visions) and just becomes a bland pop album.
>>
Visions is actually my least favorite Grimes album and I still don't understand why people like it so much
>>
>>73011578
halfaxa and art angels are better
>>
because she tried way too hard and completely lost her ability to make good music
>>
>>73011878
I agree

Halfaxa > Art Angels > Visions > Geidi Primes
>>
>>73011578
because you're going to talk about it
>>
>>73011860
The synths dance together with her voice so perfectly, almost like ghosts. Its catchy without being obnoxious and ethereal without getting boring.

Art Angels was a lot cheesier and colorful, ranging from guilty pleasure to just kinda bad.
>>
>>73011819
>becomes a bland pop album
a what? a lively, fun and exciting pop album is bland in your opinion?! it's like you hate pop music.
>>
>>73011934
it's funny how different are the opinions about her discography. visions is her best one imo, then art angels, halfaxa and gp.
>>
Because more drugs.
>>
art angels sacrificed a lot of the really well thought out songwriting and emotion for great production and only had like half an album of songs that could compete with visions. Visions you can hear that shes just a fucking garageband audacity kiddo but she has great ideas that she spent a lot of time developing and adjusting to create an incredible sound that doesnt even need professional daw fuckery
>>
Visions is maybe better cohesively and aesthetically, but AA has a much higher number of great songs.
>>
>>73012928
i beg to differ. visions is full of great songs as well. yes, even those small songs that seem filler. take eight as an example. pay attention to it and see how great it is.

visions is the kind of album that is rewarding in the long run while art angels is more immediate.
>>
>>73011578
>>73011578
Because I'm assuming you like it more, and people have a tendency to mistake subjective opinion for objective truth.
>>
>>73012762
>art angels sacrificed a lot of the really well thought out songwriting and emotion

>"I made Visions in a couple weeks and Art Angels took me like a year. In that regard, there's a more diverse range of head spaces, where Visions, a lot of songs I made within a single day. Taking more time to write was great just in the sense that there were songs that four months before the album came out they were almost a year old at that point. I was able to step back, look at things and decide what was best, instead of kind of just throwing out everything that I made.
>"I love Visions as an album, but I do feel like there's a bit of filler. I was on a deadline, the release date was set before the album was done, and there were just unfinished things. It was really just what I made in that period; there wasn't a lot of demos. For this record, I got to try out a bunch of different styles and try a bunch of different things that I probably wouldn't have been able to do."
http://www.fuse.tv/videos/2015/12/grimes-fuse-first-art-angels-visions-interview
>>
>>73013656
its possible to put more work into something over a short amount of time than in a three year gap between albums fampai. Art angels was more focused on post production which i do believe she clearly spent more of the time on than coming up with the initial ideas. also she binged adderall while working on visions so she basically worked at triple speed anyway
>>
>>73011987
not him, but it felt shallow. She took basic ideas from 90s pop music which itself was a shallow version of more interesting more underground music. I don't get why I would want to listen to it when I can just listen to actual pop or actual underground music
>>
File: grim.jpg (130KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
grim.jpg
130KB, 683x1024px
>>73013709

>Art angels was more focused on post production which i do believe she clearly spent more of the time on than coming up with the initial ideas.
say what you will, but the songs from art angels are laser sharp focused. you can't make songs so good, catchy and replay resistant in a weekend. i don't get why people are assuming that she spent little time making the songs and a lot of time polishing them. her real working style is different than expected. she works like a programmer, always improving stuff by experimenting and doing multiple iterations:

>"@unknownined it's annoying i know haha, but my albums take a long time to create because i don't buy songs/ hire producers/ writers or engineers. the majority of artists do, so they are able to release music faster. unfortunately it takes me longer because if there's a style i need to learn i just have to figure it out by trial and error, or if im stuck on a lyric or beat sometimes i have to start again. i think it leads to more original product though, and hopefully the fans are happier in the long run. that said, i am making a lot of music right now, but i also want to have more of a sonic theme to this album so i'm using less of the stuff i'm recording. in any case, ill try to be as swift as possible!"

so, she actually does songwriting and production at the same time, while modifying her songs all the time in the search of the perfect version.
>>
>>73013867
that's just your opinion. now, could you name even one similar album to the "bland" art angels? it should be easy if you pretend it's generic.
>>
>>73013867
>I don't get why I would want to listen to it when I can just listen to actual pop or actual underground music
Maybe, just maybe, you happen to like the way music made by Grimes - in particular - sounds...

Radical concept, I know. Personally, I don't like nor listen to 90s pop albums (nor any other contemporary era of pop music since I don't like the way it sounds.) And yet, I REALLY like Art Angels. Because I happen to like the way Grimes musically interprets things.
>>
>>73013963
Oh I should have said, I don't find it bland. I was just replying to that anon because I felt like complaining. I found the album very colourful and fun, I just never feel like listening to it again. It was the musical equivalent to fairy bread. I haven't listened to it in 4 months but I would rather listen to the new charli xcx stuff, or madonna's ray of light, or aqua, or kero kero bonito if I want fun pop music in that sort of sphere.
>>
>>73013867
>I don't get why I would want to listen to it when I can just listen to actual pop or actual underground music
you could listen to whatever you want, but why would you reject some experimental pop music that it's so well done that it will stay with you for years? why would you reject an unique take on pop music and choose well trodden music paths? why would you reject music that it's catchy, sonically diverse, critically acclaimed and emotionally stirring at the same time? are you afraid of new things?
>>
>>73014051
>I would rather listen to the new charli xcx stuff, or madonna's ray of light, or aqua, or kero kero bonito if I want fun pop music in that sort of sphere.
i know all these albums/artists. grimes surpassed all of them by far. art angels is not only much more diverse and experimental but it's incredibly catchy.

anyway, it's just a matter of taste.
>>
>>73014129
In what way is grimes actually experimental though?
>>
>>73014129
>it's just a matter of taste
>he says after saying that Grimes is better than all of the other artists named
I like Grimes but come on
>>73014095
probably because he just said he didn't find it worthy of repeated listens
>>
>>73014175
the same way death grips is experimental
it's not
>>
>>73014051
see
>>73014009
The primary reason to listen to listen to Art Angels isn't because it sounds like pop from a bygone era. It's because it sounds like it was made by Grimes.
>>
>>73014175
She takes elements diverse musical elements (such as contemporary electronic dance beats and contrapuntal voice-leading techniques) and puts them together into rarely (if ever) heard combinations, to uncertain outcomes of overall musical effect - the very definition of experimentation.
>>
File: 1486348811761.gif (82KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1486348811761.gif
82KB, 400x400px
>>73012979
>>73013656
>tfw grimz filler > most other songs
>>
>>73015317
Imo that IS part of the irony.
>>
>>73011985
>>
>>73014186
>it's just a matter of taste
>he says after saying that Grimes is better than all of the other artists named
do i need to add imo after every sentence? it was obvious that was just my opinion.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.