[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

my favorite Christian album

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: swanschildrenofgod.jpg (312KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
swanschildrenofgod.jpg
312KB, 500x500px
my favorite Christian album
>>
none
>>
itaots
>>
>>73002184
Ode to Quetzalcoatl
>>
16 Horsepower/Wovenhand
MewithoutYou
Starflyer 59
Flatfoot 56
>>
Newsboys
Skillet
Third Day
Christian Death
MxPx
Switchfoot
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Rotting Christ
Creed
>>
>>73002184
Personally prefer Brother, Sister or Seven Swans when it comes to Christian pop/rock.
>>
>>73002359
I chuckled
>>
I know it's cool these days to be Christian and all that shit, but I wish there were more artists who weren't afraid to make good pagan music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33OOYHFGUoM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_vbsKWBi5Y
>>
File: 1484097009854.jpg (67KB, 599x563px) Image search: [Google]
1484097009854.jpg
67KB, 599x563px
>yfw Christian Jazz exists
>>
>>73002184
Are ya jokin? Swans is some of the gnarliest feeling music I have ever heard. Certainly not Christian.

Josh Garrels
Wovenhand
In The Midst Of Lions
JS Bach
>>
>>73002688
Yes, he's joking. I think this is the first time where I'm going to unironically say "welcome to 4chan, have a nice first day," and not mean it as an insult
>>
>>73002481
Yeah dude what's up with that? I left 4chan for a couple years and now it seems like Christianity is accepted and even championed on several different boards. Not real Christianity mind you, some sort of strange intellectual meme Christianity.
>>
I'd just like to say hello to the rest of the /mu/ Wovenhand fanclub.
There's like 8 of us now I think.
>>
>>73002723
When /pol/ went unironically right wing, they dragged Jesus in with them
>>
File: johndavis.jpg (89KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
johndavis.jpg
89KB, 500x500px
John Davis of Superdrag made a few Christian solo albums.

Brian Wilson incarnate here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaI0ywN2NVY

Shoegaze goodness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GX0X7xx32I

P sanctified here, bro. Absolutely love the vocal melodies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxqDMSu9yZo
>>
>>73002732
David Eugene Edwards is a strange beautiful man.

I haven't been around /mu/ for years now, I can't recall Wovenhand or 16HP getting any attention here before I left. Do they ever come up?
>>
>>73002732
Fun fact, Nergal of Behemoth, a literal Satanist, is a huge Wovenhand/16 Horsepower fan
>>
>>73002742
Is that what happened? I'm an actual Jesus loving church going Christian and I think all this is very bizarre. And kind of whack. Why did /pol/ seemingly spill over onto every other board? It's horrible.

And to stay on topic I would say King's Kaleidoscope is pretty good.
>>
>>73002753
A little. For a while neofolk was popular on here, and it seems like Wovenhand was popular with people who liked stuff like Current 93.

I'm not into neofolk, but I've been a huge fan of Wovenhand for the last few years, so I usually post them on chart/favorites threads
>>
>>73002753
I have seen some more love for DEE lately, but i don't think it's from more than 10 posters.
>>
>>73002759
Yeah and Marduk have done at least one cover that I know of.
>>
>>73002753
Occasionally. It's usually in threads like this or a genre thread.
Not exaggerating, if there's an alt country/gothic Americana/whatever thread, I probably either made it or am 9/10ths of the posts.
>>73002759
I get the impression a lot his fans aren't religious. I'm an athiest myself. That's hilarious.
>>
Trouble - Psalm 9
>>
>>73002184
Talk Talk
Nick Cave (he's not religious anymore)
>>
>>73002805
Brother you got any dark americana recommendations for me if I'm not such a big fan of the lyrically dark, moreso just sonically? Like Jay Munly and Those Poor Bastards but not so fucked up? Does it even exist apart from DEE's stuff?
>>
Good chunk of Sufjey's stuff is pretty religious.
>>
There's a surprising amount of music made by Christians that isn't shitty alt butt rock. It's just hard to find. Really pisses me off that the late 90s and early 2000s fucked it up so bad.

>>73002848
Guy, I've been looking for that for a while, and I've yet to hear any that DEE isn't a part of. Most of what I've found is either pronky revival tent stuff like The Handsome Family or satan-is-my-neighbor like Munly, SCAC, and friends.
There's a playlist on Spotify called 'The Sound Of Gothic Americana' you should check out.
>>
>>73002942
I'm from Colorado and I've seen Jay Munly, and the sense I get is that the gothic country scene was tiny and David Eugene Edwards was its only true visionary. Don't get me wrong, Munly is great, but the sense I get is that everyone else in the gothic country scene was doing it ironically - they do the doomsday preacher thing to make fun of it. Edwards was the one guy who was dead serious, and that makes his work way more powerful.
It might be worth checking out the folkier side of sadcore, like Whiskeytown. Some punk blues groups, like The Gun Club and The Gories, are great. My biggest recommendation might be Jaimeo Brown, who doesn't do this stuff, but he combines bebop jazz with slave spirituals, which creates a similar atmosphere. Algiers might be worth a glance, they combine post-punk and southern black gospel. And there's Nick Cave and Rowland S. Howard, of course
>>
Christian artists are just failed pop musicians that couldn't make it in the big leagues. They sold-out and took an easy route to "stardom" by "becoming Christian" and making "music".
>>
>>73003064
The mainstream artists, yeah a lot of them. There are a lot of honest devoted people who do what they do sincerely.
>>
>>73003064
Katy Perry actually did the opposite
>>
>>73003127
And my man Justin Bieber.
>>
>>73003039
I read an interview with Edwards once and he said something about 'making music that his church doesn't like,' or something. He seems like a genuinely devout guy.
I haven't really looked into punk blues been meaning to.
That what I was talking about with the revival tent thing. I like it but I can only listen to that dark cabaret sound for so long.

>>73003064
Some of them are sincere.
>>
>>73002184
The Downward Spiral is mine
>>
>>73003142
Jesus this post is a mess. I can't type when I'm tired.
>>
>>73003142
The guy utterly defies any and every box anybody tries to put him in. I've watched and read interviews where he runs circles around the interviewer while they're trying to pigeonhole him or make sense of him. And yeah, they guy genuinely loves God. I saw Wovenhand live here in San Francisco and when the fella took stage the atmosphere of the whole venue changed. If I understand him correctly his frustration with the church is that they have taken something incredible and marvelous and boiled it down to a weekly meeting and some cheap talking points, that's why he may be proud to make music his church doesn't like. He's also not offended when Marduk covers his music because he understands why they hate religion. He also hates religion, but he didn't let it scare him away from God.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.