[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should I consider if I want to start collecting CDs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: cd.jpg (54KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
cd.jpg
54KB, 600x400px
>>
>>73001542
you shouldn't. actually invest some money into records. you won't regret it.
>>
buy many vinyls
>>
File: 34578374.jpg (823KB, 1200x1080px) Image search: [Google]
34578374.jpg
823KB, 1200x1080px
>>
>>73001556
I am asking about CDs not Vinyl.
>>
>>73001542
hahaha kys
buying music is a meme
buying physical music is even bigger of a meme
buy fucking cds is the ultimate meme
>>
>>73001605
I mean as in what are things I should take into consideration.
>>
>>73001556
>>73001604
>>73001605
>>73001621
GOD FUCKING DAMNIT I AM ASKING THIS SERIOUSLY
>>
>>73001624
Buy em.
Put em somewhere.
Congratulations, you have now collected CDs, now do the world a favor and kill yourself.
>>
>>73001633
there really isn't anything to take into consideration though. a good cd setup isn't that complex or expensive, and they can be stored really easy without ever getting damaged. i guess the only advice i have is don't scratch them up and don't drop them or anything cause the jewel case breaks/ cracks really easy? idk
>>
Burn your own its super easy
>>
>>73001542
suicide
>>
You should consider that in less than four decades, even still shrink wrapped CDs are developing spots of disc rot.

There are vinyl records from the 30s and 40s that still play well and will last for many years to come.
>>
>>73001556
but records are twice the price of cds
>>
>>73002148
this
>>
File: 20170521_110347.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170521_110347.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>73001542
Buy CDs, put them on a shelf. Ta-da.

They're good fun
>>
>>73001542
Not much. CDs are pretty low-maintenance which makes them fun to collect without having to worry about the quality of individual pressings or individual CDs/records.

My two recommendations: find a local retailer that sells used CDs for cheap, and scour garage sales for larger collections of CDs that you can purchase for a lump sum of like 30-50 dollars.

I once came across an individual who was selling his dad's collection of classical music CDs; I bought all of them (~800-900 CDs) in exchange for a case of beer. Organizing them and putting them on my shelf really kind of kickstarted my love of collecting CDs.
>>
>>73002093
in thirty years anon will be too busy trying to escape from cannibal transexual jihadists in the wasteland to care what happened to his cds
>>
>>73002726
This. Subhuman fanatics running around raping little girls, terror bombing innocent men, women and children, victims not even putting up a fight but just drawing shit on asphalt with crayons, and anon here is more worried about some shitty data that's going to erode thanks to disc rot and rotational velocidensity anyway. Open your eyes dude, shit. The end is here.
>>
>>73002551
>collecting cds
>buy tiny etsy shelf
You need to get some serious cd racks/shelves if you wanna really collect. But since its not the 90s you are gonna have trouble finding any.
>>
>>73002760
But we are fighting, we're fighting against turning into you, you bitter, worthless nobody.
>>
>>73002868
Give me your name, surname and DOB, I'll make sure to draw a smiling crayon dick on the sidewalk after the next terror attack decorates the walls of some graffiti covered shithole in your guts. If you have a colour preference you can include that too.
>>
>>73002093
I beg to differ, if you take really good care of your CDs the can last a couple of more decades.
Of course they're not gonna last long so they can be in good conditions in your dead bed, but how listens to music on his dead bed to begin with?
>>
Don't.
That is all.
>>
>>73002726
"hey guys who cares what we do we are all gonna die anyways hahahaha why even do shit like amarite hahaha"
>>
>>73001659
Kek
>>
>>73002726
/Pol/ always brings a nice chuckle from me.
>>
>>73001542
I'm sorry people are being themselves but that's what happens when you ask 4chan for an advice.
You already have some pretty good answers, Op, but to sum up just get what you like, get a nice shelf to put em, take good care of them, don't worry that much of disc rot since it doesn't affect a lot of cds and it not that common, and of course, have fun.
Some vinyl snobs telling you all the downs of cds are just there to annoy you, if you want to only collect cds that's your decision, not theirs.
Cheers.
>>
>>73001542
Of Montreal's CD packaging is usually p. cool. Skeletal Lamping is my favorite. Album by them and packaging, I mean.
>>
>>73002914
Differ all you want, but collectors and retailers already reporting disc rot as a big problem.
>>
don't use CD wallets
>>
>>73001542
Still best format for collecting music. Used are very cheap (and new are much cheaper than vinyl). Immediately rip ur CDs to digital, in any (and every) file format you want. I rip both MP3 and lossless. CDs Still small enough to keep if you want, or get rid of them knowing you have the digital versions forever.
>>
>>73003081
I have a feeling 'disc-rot' is mostly propaganda spread by vinyl-people. They certainly make more $ selling vinyl than CDs.

I have yet to encounter a CD from the manufacturer with 'disc-rot', and I have many issued in the 90's.

I HAVE encountered burned CDs than degenerated - but never one from a record company. The only CDs of any type which I have personally seen degenerated were exposed to lots of heat and sun (which can happen when you leave them in your car)
>>
>>73001542
Hi OP I have been collecting CDs for almost a decade now. Let me first say disc rot is a meme: it DOES exist, but it so far is only really affecting discs made in certain plants in the UK during the 1980's. There are isolated cases of it happening outside that range. I have read about this a lot, read posts by people on other forums with thousands of CDs in their collections and a small fraction of their discs ever experience rot. It might happen but it's nothing to worry about, you can just replace the discs or the trays; rot is caused in part by chemical reactions between the bad discs and their trays. It's not a major roadblock.

Right now I have a collection of about 500 CDs. Half of them I keep on a shelf in the open because they are really good albums that I play frequently. The other half I acquired by some other means, heard em, didn't care for em, and now I store them away. No disc rot on any.

When you clean your discs, read the technique (its actually printed in the booklets or inserts in most cases pre-2000) and do it correctly. Your discs will get scratched up if you don't do it right. Really irks me when friends naively pick up a disc and just rub it on their shirt--that will ruin the disc.

There's really not much to consider, it's a straightforward thing to collect. Always try to buy old stuff used and cheap as fuck, buy new releases from artist website, their labels, at shows, or from bandcamp to support the artist. Discs are fun to collect and great for archiving. I have some from the 1980's which I can still rip MP3s at 1700 kbps from.
>>
>>73004736
I'm this
>>73003683
guy.

Other than spilled goop, I've never cleaned a CD in my life and even that fact hasn't caused me problems. I keep them in cardboard boxes in the original case and if I pull one out from 1993 its as good as new - every time.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.