[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Most Overrated Bands of All Time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 5

File: joy-division-pictures.jpg (3MB, 4016x2761px) Image search: [Google]
joy-division-pictures.jpg
3MB, 4016x2761px
1. Joy Division
2. Sonic Youth
3. Radiohead
4. Talking Heads
5. Pink Floyd
6. Animal Collective
7. Pavement
8. Nirvana
9. Sex Pistols
10. Oasis
>>
>>72981506
"no"
>>
Where are the Beatles
>>
>>72981506
Animal Collective is so out of place here. They may be overpraised as fuck in certain circles but they're not nearly on the level as bands like Radiohead or Sonic Youth.
>>
>>72981521
this. When you think of iconic rock acts of the last half century you don't really think of AnCo. They haven't quite gained that status
>>
>Sonic Youth
>Talking Heads
>Pink Floyd
No

1. Beatles
2. Elvis Presley
3. Prince
4. David Bowie
5. U2
6. Radiohead
7. Pavement
8. Guided By Voices
9. Beck
10. Moby
>>
>>72981551
go to bed piero
>>
>>72981551
why isn't U2 1?
>>
>>72981629
this. Somehow they're considered one of the most popular and critically acclaimed bands of all time yet I've never met a single person who likes them and rarely hear them on the radio outside of 3 or 4 songs which all sound fucking horrible.
>>
>>72981506
you missed the smiths
even in 2017 you meet people who listen to them exclusively
>>
1. Elvis Presley
2. U2
3. Coldplay
4. Pink Floyd
5. Dire Staits
6. Radiohead
7. Ramones
8. One Republic
9. Lynyrd Skynyrd
10. Black Sabbath
>>
>>72981513
Who is Piero Scaruffi?
>>
>>72981676
>Elvis Presley
wrong
>U2
wrong
>Ramones
wrong
>Black Sabbath
wrong
>>
Swap Talking Heads out with Beatles and Animal Collective out with Bowie (even though i like him he's still overrated as fuck).
>>
>>72981677
hi, not that guy, but the Beatles are my 2nd favourite band and I still think they're overrated as fuck
>>
>>72981653
My mom is the only person I know who unironically likes U2.
>>
>>72981725
That's embarrassing. She likes Nickelback and Creed too I presume.
>>
>>72981506
insert popular bands you don't like
>>
>>72981506
Totally agree with Sonic Youth
>>
>>72981506
>Pink Floyd
>Radiohead
>Talking Heads

kill urself
>>
>>72981506
1.Mumford and Sons
2.Van Halen
3.Hopsin
4.Coldplay (at one point The Fray)
5.Bring Me The Horizon
6. Red Hot Chili Peppers
7. 30 Seconds to Mars
8. Beck
9. Logic
10. The Beatles
>>
>>72982983
Correct
>>
>>72982983
delet the Beatles and you good
>>
>>72981506
>Sonic Youth
>Talking Heads
The rest I can agree with being a bit overhyped but these two earned every bit of their reputation.

Queen is the answer you're looking for btw
>>
1. Kanye West
2. Kanye West
3. Kanye West
4. Kanye West
5. Kanye West
6. The rest of nigger rappers
>>
In very particular order
1.Nirvana
2.Metallica
3.Coldplay
4.Gorillaz
5.Blur
6.Radiohead
7.Aerosmith
8.Van Halen
9.Animal Collective
10.Lynyrd Skynyrd

You're welcome
>>
>>72981506
>the most overrated bands
>when half of them are "literally who" for normies aka 99% of society
>>
>>72983044
why are you so bad at posting
>>
>>72983541
AnCo and maybe Pavement are the only ones that most normies wouldn't know. All the rest are some of the most popular and acclaimed bands of all time.
>>
Nirvana is absolutely #1, no contest. Probably will never be topped in that department. Joy Division is more susceptible to being aped by posers than people overrating them.
>>
>>72983579
So are Talking Heads (although some may know Psycho Killer) and Sonic Youth
Joy Division and Sex Pistols may be known as "the music my dad listens to
Oasis,Radiohead and Pink Floyd are known for one or two songs.
Nirvana is propably the only band from there that is actually known by normies
>>
>>72983599
I would say that Unknown Pleasures is definitely an overrated album though. It gets put up with the best albums of all time when it's not even the best post punk album.
>>
>>72981506
remove pavement and anco, add TVU and Zeppelin; or just add TVU and Zeppelin as 11 and 12
>>
1 - Beatles
2 - Led Zeppelin
3 - Pink Floyd
4 - Rolling Stones
5 - Radiohead
6 - The Who
7 - The Clash
8 - Nirvana
9 - U2
10 - Elvis
>>
>>72983653
wtf? Talking Heads have so many hits, Psycho Killer isn't even their biggest. Sonic Youth is a very famous band name, not as many have listened to them but most everyone knows them. But Talking Heads are probably the biggest new wave band so I don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

>oy Division and Sex Pistols may be known as "the music my dad listens to

Every fucking teenager and "alternative" college kid owns an Unknown Pleasures t-shirt. Everyone fucking knows the Sex Pistols, they're easily the best known punk band next to the Ramones.

>Oasis,Radiohead and Pink Floyd are known for one or two songs.

>Pink Floyd
>Known for one or two songs
jfc dude

Everyone and their mom knows Wonderwall so that alone makes Oasis more well known than 95% of bands in existence.

Radiohead is fucking huge and has always been huge. It's patrician music for people who don't actually want to dig into deeper cuts. Not to say that makes them bad, but everyone knows who Radiohead is and everyone says they like them, at least on some level.
>>
>>72981506
Don't really understand this mentality in general. Are you really so insecure about people gravitating to the most accessible post-punk band?
>>
>>72981506
>Joy Div
wouldn't seem overrated at all if not for meme teens in le unknown pleasures shirt
>Sonic Youth, Radiohead, Floyd, AnCo
Somewhat overrated but they've all made masterpieces at some point so they deserve it.
>Talking Heads, Pavement
Rated just right tbqh
>Sex Pistols, Oasis
sure (sex pistols are pretty underrated on /mu/ though. never mind the bollocks is actually pretty good.)
>Nirvana
By now the sentiment "Nirvana was overrated garbage and (contemporary band) did what they did better" is just as common as the unnecessary praise professional critics and plebs lavish upon them. Honestly, they're both over and underrated. Nevermind, a good but not great album, gets put on a pedestal because it was a trendsetter, and because it's still a normie favorite. In Utero and Unplugged, however, are truly fantastic albums, but contrarian faggots won't listen to them because they've already decided that Nirvana is for twelve year olds.
>>72981551
>Beatles
Obviously music is subjective, and they're not my favorite band, but if everyone had to agree on one "best band ever", they'd be the sensible choice. I don't think any other band has reached the levels of critical acclaim, commercial success, or enduring popularity that they achieved - and they did all of that at the same time. I suppose they are overrated in that they're rarely ever criticized, but no band has deserved to be overrated as much as they have.
>Elvis
His importance in popularizing rock music cannot be understated, but yeah, he was basically an old-fashioned pop star who ended up in the right place at the right time.
>Prince
He was pretty underrated before he died.
>David Bowie
Just slightly but almost all of his work in the 70's was brilliant.
>GBV
A few incredible albums and a lot of shit, which is to be expected from someone who writes shit tons of songs on a regular basis.
>U2
Jesus Christ this. I think U2's alright, but just alright - I've sincerely wanted to like them but I just can't
>>
>>72983496
>blur
>radiohead
"nah"
>>
>>72983653
Autism.
>>
>>72984484
Blurs most popular song is basically a rehash of Smells Like Teen Spirit, hence their tongue in cheek song title.

Radiohead are boring as fuck to listen too and only lauded for their "experimentation" which is basically just the inclusion of electronics.
>>
>>72983906
Good post. Spot on
>>
Five for Radiohead. Three for Pink Floyd, Elvis, Nirvana, Beatles, U2 and Coldplay. Just a reminder that the more people call something overrated, the less overrated it becomes. The more they call something underrated, the less underrated it becomes.

Really makes ya think
>>
>>72983681
>TVU
"literally who?" - every normie ever
>>
>>72983653
>Oasis,Radiohead and Pink Floyd are known for one or two songs.
In America maybe but Oasis are still fucking massive in bongland and a lot of Europe
>>
>>72981769
I love u2 and I'm not his mom so stfu nigger
>>
>>72984928
>Blurs most popular song is basically a rehash of Smells Like Teen Spirit, hence their tongue in cheek song title.
That's only applicable outside of England, their home country.

Why does Song 2 being their biggest hit make them overrated exactly?
>>
>>72984984
This is actually true
>>
File: ws.png (608KB, 763x630px) Image search: [Google]
ws.png
608KB, 763x630px
>>
File: Capture.jpg (15KB, 177x176px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
15KB, 177x176px
>>72984984
Yeah man. Those stinkin' normies will NEVER find out about TVU. :^)
>>
>>72981551
>Bowie

Wew lad
>>
1- Slint
2- My Bloody Valentine
3- Slowdive
4- Animal Collective
5- Sonic Youth
6- U2
7- Aphex Twin
8- Radiohead
9- Kanye West
10- Talking Heads
FTFY
>>
>>72981551
This is actually spot on anon, congrats
>>
>>72985099
>Bowie
>band
>>72985107
>More AnCo, U2 and Radiohead
Keep it up and the term will no longer apply to them. And no, I do not have any particular vested interest in any of them.
>>
I can agree with all of these
>>
>*obnoxious metal scraping guitar riff*
>UNO DOS TRES CATORCE
>*shitty 3 power chord post-grunge riff played over and over*
>HELLO HELLO I'M AT A PLACE CALLED VERTIGO AND I CAN FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL
>YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH
>entire track is so overcompressed it physically hurts to listen to
>iPod commercial tie-in

yeah... the fact that people think u2 is worthy of the praise they receive is astonishing
>>
>>72985213
That song fucking blows (their worst single by a country mile), but they get a lifetime pass from me for Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and Zooropa.
>>
>>72985056
I know Damon Albarns nationality.. and how is this only applicable outside of England? What does that even mean exactly, explain yourself better.
>>
>>72984928
Song 2 was also supposed to make fun of the grunge movement. Blur released pretty good albums though such as Modern life is rubbish and everything afterwards except the great escape
>>
>>72985383
Song 2 was released in 97, you're meaning to tell me that this is supposed to be a joke? Thats like coming up with a comeback to some guys insult 5 minutes after he said it.
"Grunge" and I use the term very losely, died off with Kurt. Shit like this is what makes them a novel band.
>>
>>72981665
the smiths only have one bad song desu, everything else is amazing
>>
>a million listeners
>a lot

someone doesn't understand just how many people are on last fm
>>
>>72985518
meant for this fag >>72985073
>>
>>72985449
>Shit like this is what makes them a novel band.
Did you mean to say novelty? Also you're literally ignoring their entire discography because of one meme single.

>>72985373
In England, Blur are known for being one of the biggest and most acclaimed rock groups of the 90s. They aren't just "le woo hoo band".
>>
>>72981506
>6. Animal Collective

DELET
>>
>>72984984
A band can be overrated without normie love, that's the case of TVU.
>>
>>72985745
this would hold water if the music wasn't objectively good
>>
>>72985760
which isn't the case for TVU
>>
>>72985701
that's why they're overrated. they're far too praised but they only ever amounted to one real hit which fucking sucked.
>>
>>72981506
>he doesn't get Joy Division
wew
>>
>>72985790
nobody's impressed
are you forgetting that the quality of music is objective?
>>
>>72985811
Music quality is irrelevant when it comes to being overrated/underrated.
>>
>>72985701
>Did you mean to say novelty?
Typical Brit behaviour, resorts to grammar correcting when he feels backed into a corner
>>
>>72985819
>have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved.
how do we know what level of opinion of a work is deserved
>>
>no beatles

instant trash list
>>
>>72985841
Depends on what they're being praised for.
>>
here's my list
1. popular band that I don't like
2. popular band that I don't like
3. popular band that I don't like
4. popular band that I don't like
5. popular band that I don't like
6. popular band that I don't like
7. popular band that I don't like
8. popular band that I don't like
9. popular band that I don't like
10. your favourite band
>>
>>72981506
Ill give you pavement and oasis. You can fuck off with those other choices though
>>
File: 1451631485771.jpg (67KB, 397x525px) Image search: [Google]
1451631485771.jpg
67KB, 397x525px
>>72985107
FUCK YOU NIGGA
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKK
YYOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU
>>
Only brit-tards think Oasis and Blur had careers outside of the one minor hit each band had in 1996.
>>
File: 1453624541689.png (394KB, 482x618px) Image search: [Google]
1453624541689.png
394KB, 482x618px
>>72981506
Okay faggots, this is the objective list:
1. Pink Floyd
2. Gorillaz
3. The Eagles
4. Blink-182
5. KISS
6. Muse
7. The Strokes
8. Pavement
9. The Ramones
10. Led Zeppelin

The Beatles, Radiohead, Animal Collective, Sonic Youth, Arcade Fire, U2, Joy Division, and Nirvana may be overrated, but they made some great stuff and at least one 8/10 album.
Radiohead, Animal Collective, Sonic Youth, and Joy Division aren't even highly rated by normies.
>>
>>72986172
>Leaves out AC, AF, JD and SY
>Includes Pavement

also:
>Radiohead not highly rated by normies
where do you live?
>>
>>72985923
delet this please
>>
>>72981551
Pink Floyd and sonic youth suck ass. Talking heads is good. Beatles is okay. U2 is not overrated, most people know they suck. Pavement sucks guided by voices may have a lot of shit but there good songs are really good
>>
Queen is #1
>>
>>72986330
>U2 is not overrated, most people know they suck.
Except they've apparently sold 150 million albums, have the highest grossing tour of all time and several albums that critics love.

I would argue lots of people like them.
>>
>>72986382
lots of people like their steaks well done too
>>
>>72986412
But if "most people" know they suck, why do they appear to be exceedingly popular?
>>
>>72986537
plenty of places will literally refuse to serve them well done
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.