[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do they have decent records /mu/ ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: sonic youth.jpg (107KB, 479x432px) Image search: [Google]
sonic youth.jpg
107KB, 479x432px
Do they have decent records /mu/ ?
>>
>>72980453
Experimental Jet Set is probably the only album of theirs I'd say is an actual mess, just due to the recording quality being really poor (on purpose) and the songs sounding rushed or half finished. Everything else of theirs is great, some may just be better or worse depending on your tastes
>>
I don't think any of them are below a 6/10 personally. Even if their focused songwriting chops are questionable these guys know their way around a guitar and a jam. They can just feel their way to a decent record if they wanted to.
>>
Every album they released in the 80s is at least an 8/10
>>
>>72980492

Also true.
>>
>>72980453
nope they can't write a song for shit. i like the noisy aesthetic but SY is truly overrated garbage.
>>
>>72980533

They could write an honest tune on occasion such as Sunday or The Empty Page but they couldn't do it for an entire album until Rather Ripped.
>>
>>72980533
This is completely wrong. The best thing about SY is that their noisemaking was supported by quality songwriting and not just an excuse to fuck around with feedback and stuff

I guess maybe I can see why you'd think that if you've only listened to CIS and BMR but stuff like The Sprawl, Hey Joni and Candle is just great rock composition
>>
>>72980611
indeed daydream nation is simple catchy pop songs with awesome dissonance and noise
>>
>>72980626

Dunno about "simple" but the band did finally hit a middle ground between their artsier jam tendencies and more accessible songwriting. You could see them working at it on Evol and really getting somewhere on Sister but Daydream Nation really nails it on a consistent level that few of their songs since have matched, let alone albums.
>>
>>72980575
Disagree, those songs are shit too. The only thing i've ever liked from them is their cover of superstar.
>>72980611
You're half-right SY wouldn't have been total shit if they were an instrumental band.
>>
>>72980611
BMR is great, needs a remaster tho
>>
>>72980685

Well, if you can't get into two of the most accessible songs that the band ever wrote then I don't know what to tell you. Surely at least Incinerate qualifies.
>>
>>72980626
>>72980653
They do tend to use a lot of simple Krautrock grooves on DDN but they also utilise fairly complex harmonies, modal changes, contrapuntal improvisatory passages etc.
I'd say they achieve quite a nice middle-ground between simplicity and complexity. Compare a song like Silver Rocket, which mostly just uses power chords the whole way through in a really simple pop song structure with a noise/feedback bridge. with 'Cross the Breeze with all its shifting sections, rhythmic changes and such. Really demonstrates their creative range.

>>72980695
It's a great album but it is basically them fucking around with feedback to make dense, repetitive textures and then singing over it.
>>
>>72980808
could you point out what a krautrock groove is? Just curious
>>
>>72980994
On songs like The Sprawl where they lock into a groove with a repeating, syncopated ostinato on top of a motorik-like drumbeat. It's the same kind of thing TVU were doing on songs like I'm Waiting For Your Man that was later expanded on by a lot of Krautrock bands.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.