[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you believe in elitism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: metallum.jpg (13KB, 333x100px) Image search: [Google]
metallum.jpg
13KB, 333x100px
Why do the people at Metal Archives still thinks that Visual Kei is a genre and deliberately rejects a lot of visual kei bands (that are obviously metal, e.g Matenrou Opera)?

Fuck, there isn't any metal database as good as Metal Archives (I don't even know if others exist) but I'm starting to think that their stupidity in their elitism have no boundaries.
>>
metal is for kids

reported for underage
>>
it's either elitists, or poptimist redditors. pick one and have a nice day
>>
>>72978876
Anti-elitism is worse imo. Especially in the metal scene where not liking Baby Metal means your some sorta elitist. You see it a lot on trash websites like Metal Sucks. I'd rather a group be exclusionary and have people have to argue the merit of something than too excepting.
>>
>>72978915
Meant to say accepting
>>
>>72978915
the bad part is that 90% of the time, these people want metal to sound like boring post-grunge or top 40 pop. i get not being into metal, just don't try to make the entire community cater to you
>>
>>72978888
>>72978915
Tbh I didn't want to put that as the title. The main reason I opened this thread is to ask if there's any other alternatives. Something similar but more forgiving.

Looks like I went out of track for some unknown reasons.

I do agree about the Baby Metal thing and I do think they have their own merits.
>>
>>72978915
Elitism is good to some extent. It keeps idiots and normies out. It becomes a problem when all you're allowed to listen to is old school death and black metal.
>>
>>72979005
what's wrong with rym? I know you don't get the artist profiles and all that, but I've not had any problems using the two of them in tandem.
>>
>>72978979
"Indie" is even worse with the poptimist shit. They talk about artists like Katy Perry or Migos like they have anymore artistic credibility than Kid Rock did. I'm not saying pop music is inherently bad because I do enjoy quite a bit of it, but to lower the standards for quality in an attempt to not appear elitist or rockist just defeats the purpose of having these niche things.
>>
>>72979068
Honestly, I've been living under the dark and I only know of Metal Archives. I don't know how I got there but it's been my companion from the get-go.

Thanks for the RYM suggestion and I just found Metal Storm as well to look for some new materials.
>>
>>72979068
It's disorganized, missing a lot of demos, promos, ect, doesn't have any notes about the release like MA, and doesn't have nearly as many bands.
>>
>>72979101
You will be disappointed. Nothing even compares to MA.
>>
>>72979025
That's the thing with elitism though, you have to be able to argue the merits of why something should be treated as good or not. If people stil won't agree because they're stubborn or even if it's just because they don't see things the same way, it doesn't matter as long as you can make a good argument
>>
>>72979101
honestly i started over at MA as well, but I've been using rym pretty regularly since three or four years ago and I tend to find it more useful for finding new music, especially because of the lists.

MA is good for finding obscurities in some ways, as well as general band info, but RYM blows it out of the water in most aspects
>>
>>72979137
>RYM blows it out of the water in most aspect
How?
>>
>>72979122
>>72979137
I sometimes prefer to have a ranking or charts of sorts but (forgive me if I'm wrong) it seems to me that Metal Archives seems to be lacking in this aspect.

I'm not a regular in the forums, so I don't know about there, however.
>>
>>72979162
Ignoring any ranking or review aspects, RYM is dogshit compared to MA.
>>
>>72979154
lists, better filtering for browsing/searching, community in terms of user profiles. I can't speak about the forums on RYM but I know the MA board is just awful.

I wish RYM had the ability to tailor their "random" function to correspond to specific genres, though.
>>
>>72979194
The most essential thing that makes me like Metal Archives so much is the "Lyrical themes" tag.

I'm a religious person, I prefer to keep my music "clean". Don't argue about this here though. This is not within the scope of our discussion.
>>
"Real Metal" fuckers are the absolute worst.
>>
>>72979162
http://www.furia.com/em/releases-style.html
MA rankings based on average reviews
>>
>>72979131
thing is if you look at "critical communities" like dmu who think like this, their discourse is extremely one-dimensional. nearly everyone agrees what "the greats" are and has similar conceptions of what makes music "good." if you don't form an argument _on their terms_ it'll fall on deaf ears. music criticism is one of those fields where plurality is exclusively positive
>>
>>72979254
Thank you so much for this. I never thought of looking for a third-party website that takes the data from MA.

This will be very helpful. Bookmarked.
>>
>>72979197
RYM is missing a lot of small releases such as demos, promos, rehearsals, and EP's. They don't even have a section for demos or anything, all of them are thrown in the EP section. Band members and personnel are also much more comprehensive on MA. They're missing or incomplete a lot on RYM and MA's formatting for it is more organized and comprehensible.
>>
>>72979259
>music criticism is one of those fields where plurality is exclusively positive
I extremely disagree. Yes there are issues with people making you argue on their terms and by their rules, but that comes from having a community not police itself to prevent stuff like that. But at the same time someone should be able able to defend why something should be discussed. There was a post like three days ago where it was just saying that Katy Perrys tour is starting and then just listing the different ticket packages with their prices. It was literally just an advertisement. But that stuff is tolerated because it's an extension of the poptimist philosophy. If someone wants to argue the artistic merits of Katy Perry, that's fine, but they better be able to present an actual argument. Just accepting low quality music pollutes a community with lil peep and xxxtentacion threads.
>>
>>72979402
the quality of the music that people talk about doesn't have as much to do with the quality of their discussion as you probably think, in fact looking at this board it seems more like an inverse correlation than anything
then again it's probably not the best example for elitism because it constantly tries to dismantle its own canon
>>
>>72979696
It is true that the quality of music isn't necessary indicative of the quality of discussion, but at the same time there is more options for potentially discussing the attributes of the good music that make it good. But when discussing SC rappers there's basically nothing to talk about.
>>
>>72978876
>removing all those deathcore bands
>saying they'll never put NAILS in and they do anyway
I really fucking hate that site
>>
>>72978876
They wont even allow a bunch of fucking grindcore/goregrind bands either

MA is extremely useful, but at the same time fucking stupid
>>
>>72979759
would you say ambient/noise/eai/onkyo those kind of abstract styles aren't worthwhile because there's barely concrete vocabulary for them?
>>
>>72979819
oh and they removed a lot of metalcore bands and put in a lot of powerviolence bands. they have no standards anymore.
>>
that are just opinions, Metal Archives is one of the best resources to learn about metal music and is very useful. If some opinions doesn't match you ok, just like here, where everybody just talk shit.

If you like it use it, if don't, look for other stuff.

Like all those retards who always speak shit about heavy metal, listening rap and intellectual music is like other styles, I don't like it but I listen Kraftwerk and some experimental bands but I still listening Saxon, UFO and Judas Priest, I started with 15 years and still listening the same music, sometimes if I discover new stuff and is interesting I add it but not quit other tastes for these new ones.
>>
>>72979834
You can describe what makes a noise or other more abstract album good
>>
File: Aion.jpg (94KB, 500x533px) Image search: [Google]
Aion.jpg
94KB, 500x533px
>>72978876
>Why do the people at Metal Archives still think that Visual Kei is a genre
They don't, all of the visual kei bands that get onto metallum get labelled as speed, thrash, power, death and so on respectively. Metallum accepts a shit ton of visual kei, as long as it's firmly metal, but they put their foot down for the pseudo-"metal" visual key bands.

>Matenrou Opera
Metallum's really stupid about symphonic metal visual kei bands though, but that's because a lot of symphonic metal visual kei bands put more emphasis on the symphony bits than the metal in the first place. They only accept the symphonic visual kei metal bands that are firmly rooted in metal, Matenrou Opera doesn't know if it wants to be hard rock or metal, kind of like how bands like Sound Horizon are too. The riffing's very minimal and generally in the background.
>>
>>72979206
Agreed, it's a great function.
>>
File: Loli metal.png (11KB, 1034x113px) Image search: [Google]
Loli metal.png
11KB, 1034x113px
>>72979206
Lyrical themes tag is great
>>
>>72980731
lol
>>
>>72979206
Yeah, RYM has that as well. It's essential IMO.
>>
>>72978876
Visual Kai is cringy angsty garbage.
>>
File: 1483921512191.jpg (13KB, 313x305px) Image search: [Google]
1483921512191.jpg
13KB, 313x305px
>>72978876
>metal archives
>>
>>72979206
whimp
>>
>>72978876

Visual Kei has good sounding music but they dress like homos. Too bad, if they didn't dress like fags, maybe I'd enjoy their music.
>>
>mallcore
>>
>>72982461
No, it doesn't.
>>
>>72978876
Metal archives is not elitist by the metal community's standards.
>>
>>72979206
>this genre have such unintelligible lyrics that I need a guide in order to know whether it's kosher for me to listen to it or not
>>
What's the punk equivalent of the metal archives?
>>
>>72985976
There is only prog equivalent as far as I'm aware
And unlike Metallum, they are very liberal in what counts as prog
>>
>>72986113
What is it?
>>
>>72986219
progarchives
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.