[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WEEZER - PINKERTON

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Pinkerton_cover.jpg (14KB, 307x300px) Image search: [Google]
Pinkerton_cover.jpg
14KB, 307x300px
I never really listened to Weezer, because I thought they were shill alt-rock. I like the Blue Album so I was listening to that the other day and I remembered my friend saying that he liked El Scorcho, so I put it on and immediately dug the vibes. I like the quality of the production; like early Dinosaur Jr. and the emotion in the vocals like the Pixies, but there is something deeper about the way Rivers lays it all out there. Lines like "Everyone is a little queer" and "and we don't wanna be alone" are eating at my soul now. Can we discuss this album and how I can write music as honest and real as Pinkerton?

How do you put your soul out there like that?
>>
He did and was laughed out of the music industry for several years. He even disowned the record for years.

Eventually people starting praising the album for it's sincerity and Rivers started boasting about the album.

He is full of shit.
>>
>>72972284

Lyrics are shit. Just scribble some shit down on paper and some aspie will be able to relate to it somewhere.

Lyrics are pretty worthless. I wish instrumental music was the norm again. I love Weezer, but I couldn't care less about the pain o expression of a single person. I feel like if you're going to write lyrics, you have a responsibility to be better than yourself and not talk about what you're going through. I dunno it just seems narcissistic. Most lyrics are narcissistic and self-centered and that's why I can't enjoy pop music at all.

So yeah the way to be like this is just scribble down some sad shit and somebody will find it compelling.
>>
>>72972401
Do you think that was because it was juxtaposed with the success of The Blue Album? If Pinkerton had been their first I doubt they would have received negative reactions, it had some bangers.
>>
>>72972447
My band wrote a 10 minute proggy track, but I didn't have fun singing the lyrics. It was very instrumental, switching from 5/4 to 3/4 and back. Now we've gone towards something easier to produce; grimy surf-jams that pack a lot of punch in a short amount of time, it's more fun to sing with all that energy, but the lyrics still aren't meaningful.
>>
>>72972447
hey guys look how much edge this guy had for breakfast
>>
>>72972480

Quiet. You aren't cool.
>>
>>72972451
Yeah, but it shows music critics are full of shit and change their opinions based on the zeitgeist.
>>
>>72972447
They're not writing the music for you though.
>>
>>72972502
So can you fault Rivers for being the same? I mean don't we all write music to please other people? Either you write it for yourself to enjoy which is narcissistic or you write it for an audience and then you're dicked on for caring too much about what other people think. Catch 22?
>>
>>72972507

People should write lyrics that have some kind of social significance or something beyond themselves. When half of your lyrics are "I" "me" "you" "us" "we" and so on, it just seems like less of a piece of art to me. It just seems like the ramblings of a narcissist. I find that boring and lazy.
>>
>>72972556
It was written so you could relate to him. He was looking for people who suffered similar situations so he didn't feel so alone in the world. He wanted you to understand him so you wouldn't feel alone in your struggles either.
>>
File: Rivers_Cuomo_7.jpg (29KB, 470x554px) Image search: [Google]
Rivers_Cuomo_7.jpg
29KB, 470x554px
It's definitely cringe-core, mostly because of how much I could relate to the lyrical content during my late teens. It's great, but I think you have to discover it at the right point of your life in order to fully appreciate it. When I'm trying to get friends into weezer I recommend blue 100 percent of the time.
>>
>>72972586

I should just shut the fuck up. There are no rules to music. I know this.

I just think lyrics are a pretense and we should be focusing on instrumentation and composition.

Like the song El Scorcho mentioned at the beginning of this thread. Great composition. Perfectly whimsical, silly, fun, and expressive. Couldn't give two shits about whatever the fuck rivers is talking about.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.