[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the essentialest post-punk?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1361182016_is_this_it.jpg (136KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1361182016_is_this_it.jpg
136KB, 1000x1000px
What is the essentialest post-punk?
>>
is this even post punk??

i thought it was 60s~70s garage rock revival
>>
>>72958879
it is. post punk is like 1980's joy division, siouxsie and the banshees, the cure, etc
>>
File: Unknown Pleasures.png (107KB, 625x593px)
Unknown Pleasures.png
107KB, 625x593px
>>
>>72958905
listen to unkown pleasures and then is this it.

they do not look alike
>>
>>72958905
i have a real problem classifying music past 80s.
>>
>>72959100
i was agreeing with anon that it is garage rock revival not post punk buttface
>>
File: Y.jpg (67KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Y.jpg
67KB, 500x500px
>>
>>72958794
>>72958936
t. overrated
>>
Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
Wire - Chairs Missing
Chrome - Half Machine Lip Moves
PiL - Metal Box
This Heat - Deceit
Swell Maps - Jane From Occupied Europe
Mission of Burma - Signals, Calls and Marches
>>
>>72959133
i wouldn't say overrated. but unpopular opinion: room on fire is better than is this it
>>
>>72959204
it's a close call for me, but Is This It beats Room on Fire by a little on lyricism. Room on Fire is on par with musicality, though. It's a more diverse album, too.
>>
>>72959249
i get why its generally considered second, especially since this is it was their first album, i listen to room on fire more and always all the way through
>>
>>72959204
unknown pleasures
>stock standard alternative rock album with some reverb and a sad frontman
the only thing that's impressive is that it came out in 79 but by that time television, mars, and the velvet underground had already happened
>>
can this wise sages make one alt rock chart?

i feel the need to have it documented
>>
you cunts never mention porcupine

>>72959171
good list
>>
>>72958794
>when you thought it was a knee
>>
>>72959288
it's worth noting that First Impressions of Earth has some of The Strokes most underrated songs. Namely:
>Red Light
>Ize of The World
>15 Minutes
>Razorblade
>Ask Me Anything

honestly take out the 3-4 filler-y songs and it's on par with the first two for me.

>>72959394
every time.
>>
>>72959440
ill have to give it a re-listen, honestly haven't paid any attention to anything outside of those two in a while
>>
>>72959440
>skipping Juicebox
>>
>>72959476
it's got a pretty different tone (not as different as Angles, tho). I understand why people wouldn't like it a ton, but I think that it has some really strong songwriting and the direction they took fine by me. it's just a little messy as an album, not as tight as the first two.

>>72959440
Juicebox and YOLO were singles. And pretty big ones at that. So I didn't really think of them as that underrated.
>>
>>72959525
>>72959565
>meant to reply to this and not myself
i'm a moron
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.