[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/jazz/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_3774.jpg (124KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3774.jpg
124KB, 600x600px
>tfw the only good thing about the board dies edition

What are you listening to?
What do you think of it?
Favorite jazz releases this year?
Jazz releases you're looking forward to this year?
>>
File: SD_1330_1_l.jpg (74KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
SD_1330_1_l.jpg
74KB, 650x650px
I'm listening to pic related, one of my favorite giuffre records, but i've been listening many george lewis stuff lately, homage to charles parker is a 10/10
>>
File: alice coltrane.jpg (14KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
alice coltrane.jpg
14KB, 225x225px
Listening to pic related, just got it by the mail. I need some acid.
>>
>>72937808
Glad to see this back
>>
What contemporary pianist do you guys recommend?
>>
>>72938611
depends. what other pianists/other players do you like best?
>>
>>72939106
Monk, Gillespie, Ornette Coleman, Horace Silver...
I also discovered Steve Lehman recently and like it a lot.
>>
monk, brubeck, miles davis, bill evans, ella...

do you guys recommend any jazz theory books? like the good stuff?
>>
>>72939243
Check out Vijay Iyer. Pic related is good.

Also Craig Taborn, Orrin Evans, and David Virelles.
>>
Listening to Miles Davis - Kind of Blue today
Listened to Lanquidity earlier, wild ride

I feel like I'm perpetually at this point of "just getting to know jazz". Not sure if it's entirely a bad thing
>>
File: 245772_zoom-00.jpg (56KB, 638x802px) Image search: [Google]
245772_zoom-00.jpg
56KB, 638x802px
>>72939404
This is the standard one. There's also The Jazz Piano book with theory focused just on jazz piano.
>>
>>72937808
didnt this general use to have a copypasta with dl links?
>>
>>72939795
That's understandable, there's so much out there. As you keep getting acquainted with jazz as a whole, your ear will become more perceptive to the plethora of spontaneous subtleties that lie within, allowing you to branch out and discover lesser known recordings with the confidence that you can understand and appreciate what is going on.

Being a musician helps speed the process along. Especially studying and playing jazz. That, in conjunction with dedicated listening, is by far the most comprehensive approach. It is musician's music, after all... Well, the good stuff anyway. Being able to understand and appreciate jazz from a musician's perspective brings a whole new level of intellectual enjoyment to listening. Plus it will probably make you more open to all styles of jazz and music in general, because musicians who know the music inside and out, and know what kind of commitment it takes, is open to any music regardless of dissonance or complexity.
>>
File: 52246833.jpg (82KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
52246833.jpg
82KB, 520x520px
Still the best jazz album so far this year.
>>
File: verneri_pohjola_pekka.jpg (223KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
verneri_pohjola_pekka.jpg
223KB, 1200x1200px
next week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsQmLzUi-5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKEMftzEIpg
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.