[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Mars Volta

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: The Bedlam in Goliath.jpg (34KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
The Bedlam in Goliath.jpg
34KB, 500x500px
In a lot of discussion about The Mars Volta, I see this album consistently disliked or placed at the bottom of lists, and I kind of don't understand.

This is my favorite TMV album (though I know it's not their best work), and I want to know your thoughts on this album and what parts of it measure up to other albums or don't.

EG: this might be my favorite album by them, but I still think its flow is completely crushed by Cavalettas and Agadez, two of the weakest and longest tracks back to back.
>>
it feels like them trying to do their sound on the first two or three but mathier. Its not bad at all but was the first time they really seemed like they were repeating themselves in a stale way.
>>
Because people are stupid and the people of 4chan especially.
>>
>Cedric constantly using that stupid bug voice effect, or that obnoxious falsetto/lower register vocal doubling trick
>Songwriting is less ambitious than the previous albums, with a more obvious verse/chorus/verse structure.
>Super cluttered instrumentally, even compared to their previous works.
>>
I can't speak for other publications, but Pitchfork has an irrational hatred of the mars volta for some reason.
>>
It's honestly my favorite too, but I can see why people would dislike it. It's more "structured' than their older stuff. I just think that makes it more catchy tho.
But maybe i'm just a contrarian, i fucking love Amputechture but can't get into their debut.
>>
>>72902742

>Pitchfork has an irrational hatred of the mars volta for some reason.

I never got this, I think it has something to do with p4k being way edgier back when TMV was releasing good albums, if there's ever a reissue of the first 3 albums they'd probably give them BNM
>>
Octahedron is best
>>
De-Loused in the Comatorium
Frances the Mute
Amputechture

can't be bothered with the rest of them.
>>
All Mars Volta albums are great albums
>>
>>72905154
This, never seen anybody else with this opinion.
>>
bedlam is almost perfect for me, though it might have one two many hooks. cedrics voice sounds great on it, i dunnno what the effect he uses on it but it sounds great. ive heard people say bedlam is too busy and has too many ideas and 'freak outs' but it love it
>>72905154
i agree, i guess its so underrated due to is subtlety, which is ironic because a common complaint about mars volta and omars music is that its too crazy.

deloused is good, very nostalgic but maybe their weakest? i dont know why its their most popular.
>>
>>72906758
It's a very coherent piece of music from start to finish, fantastic opening tracks and even better closing tracks. There's a few songs in the middle that aren't quite as good, but then you have songs like Cicatriz that make up for that. Also Jon Theodore's drumming is outrageously good.
>>
>>72900644
Ive only heard their first 4, so heres my ranking, Im about to listen to Octa so Ill rank that in after

1. Frances The Mute 10/10
Perfect, insanely memorable, great story, one of the hardest albums to pick a favorite song from but if I had to pick it would actually be Miranda
2. The Bedlam In Goliath 9/10
Very good, some less memorable songs, but overall an amazing experience, that I have a lot of good memories of. Favorite track would have to be Goliath
3. Amputechure 9/10
Great, very nice latin music influences, favorite track would be Asilos Magdalena
4. DITC 7/10
good, but not that memorable, cant pick a favorite because I dont remember it that much to be honest, have to relisten
>>
What do you folks think about noctourniquet? Just curious.
>>
>>72905145
Yeah like that will happen
MOV already fucked up Deloused and none of the members of the band actually own copyrights on any of the music
>>
>>72907441
Gets utterly unwarranted hate, some fucking brilliant stuff on there. Bedlam is my favorite too btw.
>>
File: cedricbixlerzavala.jpg (99KB, 770x1181px) Image search: [Google]
cedricbixlerzavala.jpg
99KB, 770x1181px
Amputechture has to be their best work for me, that album just mesmerizes me to no end. They used the latin influences extremely well.
>>72900644
Bedlam is a great album, unfortunately /mu/ is full of underage hipster and people who parrot shitty opinions without hearing the actual music. Metatron is such a beautiful track.
>>72907424
Their first four are the best by far in my opinion. I would give Bedlam a 7 and DITC at least an 8 though.
>>
>>72907441
Fantastic album though it was a slow burner at first. In Absentia is an amazing track.
>>
>>72900644
I really like this one too, anyone remember that weird occult point and click game they in promotion?
>>
>>72900644
Racism against Hispanics. If everyone in TMV was black they would be considered the best band of the 21st century.
>>
File: rrjaalC.png (347KB, 379x504px) Image search: [Google]
rrjaalC.png
347KB, 379x504px
DITC - 10/10
FTM - 9/10
TBIG - 9/10
>>
File: 1KNi5ow.jpg (28KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1KNi5ow.jpg
28KB, 600x450px
>>72900644
>Cavalettas and Agadez, two of the weakest and longest tracks back to back
shit opinion 2bh. those two tracks is honestly why i love bedlam so much, so chaotic yet so groovy at the same time, fits the album well
>>
>>72908396
This is objectively correct.
>>
>>72905907
Try out Noctourniquet. It's better than anything else after Amputechture and the most comparable.
>>
DITC - 8/10
FTM - 9/10
Amp - 9/10
TBIG - 9/10
Oct - 8/10
Noct - 7/10

>>72900644
Agadez is easily the best track on TBIG
>>
File: The Bedlam in Goliath.jpg (320KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
The Bedlam in Goliath.jpg
320KB, 1500x1500px
>>72900644
How can you like Bedlam and find Agadez and Cavalettas weak tracks? Cavalettas contained the most interesting interaction with Goliath, and Agadez was filled with good energy and hooks. Even though they seem all over the place, I feel like that works well for the album. There wasn't much of a uniform flow to crush in the first place. It's in the album's title that bedlam is happening.

Also, I'm pretty sure Octahedron and Noctourniquet are consistently more disliked than Bedlam. I'm curious if anyone has one of those as their favorites and why they do.
>>
deloused and frances are my favorites
>>
>>72902144
Honestly Bedlam seems like one of the bigger changes of pace in their discog. Definitely enough to keep their sound fresh for me.
>>
i like frances more but goliath and conjugal burns are god tier songs
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.