[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Kurt Cobain kills himself after Nirvana becomes too big for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 306
Thread images: 40

File: layne-staley2.jpg (58KB, 400x501px) Image search: [Google]
layne-staley2.jpg
58KB, 400x501px
>Kurt Cobain kills himself after Nirvana becomes too big for him to handle
>following Alice In Chains' rise to being one of the biggest rock bands on the planet, Layne Staley becomes a shut-in and spends 8 years isolated in his apartment, obliterating himself with drugs before finally dying
>Soundgarden break up at their creative and commercial peak; they eventually reunite and release a couple of lukewarm albums before Chris Cornell kills himself as well
>Pearl Jam freak out about being too popular and go on an autistic boycott against music videos and Ticketmaster, fucking up their career in the process

Why were grunge bands so shit at handling success?
>>
the 90's were about being as authentic as possible and not selling out
>>
>>72871821
>Be Chris Cornell
>Try not to "Sell Out"
>Become wildly successful, considered a founding father of an entire movement as the lead singer of Soundgarden
>Forced to leave because of sudden meteoric success
>Join a broken up band and form Audioslave
>Every album sells, get top hits, sell out stadiums
>Forced to leave
>Do a solo acoustic tour, with strings and shit, think nobody will show up
>Every gig is fully booked
>Fuck out of there and do a Temple of the Dog reunion
>"Who's going to want to see this? the band is decades old by now and eddie vedder wont even show up"
>Every ticket for every event is sold out in 1 second by scalpers due to such high demand
>Go back to Soundgarden
>Still sell out entire stadiums
Suicide was the only way out
>>
>>72872005
this

grunge has been commercial for the past few decades and it completely sucks the meaning out of the idea
>>
>>72871821
I was too young for the grunge scene (was a toddler when Nevermind was released), but I'll never understand why Layne Stanley is considered in the same group as the others.

His voice was fine, but obviously became horribly dated and retroactively slapped with the 'buttrock' 'derp' tag, but beyond that, they just didn't make great music.

Kurt, Chris, and Eddie all had excellent radio rock vocals but also penned great music. Alice in Chains only make sense in the context of the grunge era, whereas Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and (lesser extent) Soundgarden sound pretty timeless.

Even fucking Scott Weiland had better material. Dunno, guess you 'just had to be there' but I can't into Alice in Chains at all, and I have genuinely enjoyed the other groups for my entire life to date.
>>
>>72871821
I guess being a good musician and songwriter doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be ok with handling fame and success. Particularly when a lot of them were paranoid and fucked up on drugs anyway.
>>
>>72872060
I think over time some of his Audioslave work will be considered "Timeless rock classics" because they're more radio friendly and less metal than anything he did in Soundgarden
>>
>>72872060
It's Layne STALEY not Stanley

It's more the guitar sound that makes it grunge and I disagree with you about his voice he sounded awesome and I want to whip your ass for this shitty post.
>>
File: 2.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>72872060
>not liking Layne
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>72872131
He's a real bitch and I just hope to God he's trolling or I'm going to demolish him irl
>>
https://youtu.be/3PsLjEe6Ic0
>>
File: 1491713567011.jpg (93KB, 677x631px) Image search: [Google]
1491713567011.jpg
93KB, 677x631px
>>72872005
Kek he probably had a 'no funeral' sign around the noose too
>>
>>72872060
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Suck a giant black cock you Layne hating bastard. I hope your mother gets constipated and triggers an aneurysm while pooping. I hope your dad finds her a few days later, gags on the smell of decaying flesh and poop, trips and hits his head on the corner of the sink and dies also.

I hope your sister comes back, notices the scene runs to get an ambulance but trips on the stairs and breaks her neck.

Then I hope you find them all but live, you fucking dick licking bastard.
>>
>>72872060
yeah go fuck yourself
>>
Kurt killed himself to make his art ethernal. That's pretty amazing desu.
>>
File: 960.jpg (86KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
86KB, 960x540px
>>72871821
They lived the dream
>>
File: 68ec48eccb194e869b783efc84a6f30a.jpg (209KB, 770x1153px) Image search: [Google]
68ec48eccb194e869b783efc84a6f30a.jpg
209KB, 770x1153px
Speaking of grunge bands with fucked up frontpeople, is Hole actually good or are they just the Courtney Love meme band?
>>
>>72872282
Dumb Poo pee poster
>>
>>72872005

auto-erotic asphyxiation is not suicide
>>
>>72872412
Hole is actually good. Give "Live through this" a listen.
>>
>>72872412
depends on how much you like nirvana or smashing pumpkins

basically kurt and billy wrote all their good songs.
>>
>>72872060
Eddie Vedder is a fucking trash vocalist and Pearl Jam is by far the worst of all of them.
>>
>>72871862
Sadly, even in hip-hop they all embrace "the man". It's not hip to be underground and "authentic" anymore.
>>
>>72872005
fuck you Chris for having killed the Grunge music
F
U
C
K

U
>>
>>72872401
How to get godly early 90's grunge hair?

wash it twice a day? or not at all?

womens products?
>>
>>72872509
>wash
>grunge
pick one
>>
>>72872412
Kek.
Kurdt and billy wrote that album.
>>
>>72872518
so don't wash it at all?
>>
>>72872518
Kurt used conditioner and everything. He just never brushed it.
>>
>''Why were grunge bands so shit at handling success.''

That's the point. They never want the sucess, they never want to be commercial. It was a consequence, but they never really want that.
>>
>>72872483
>basically kurt and billy wrote all their good songs.

Nah, a lot of people(including people who are no longer friendly with Courtney and don't have any reason to lie) confirmed that Kurt had nothing to do with Live Through This aside from singing backing vocals on a couple of songs and writing one song which ended up being a B-side on a single.
Corgan's involvement on Celebrity Skin was similarly limited. He had a small bit of input on like what, 3 songs or something.
>>
File: 1991.jpg (15KB, 229x383px) Image search: [Google]
1991.jpg
15KB, 229x383px
>>72872509
>you will never have grunge hair
>>
>>72872552
ya know what im actually sorry for spewing bullshit without researching. it was just something i heard from my cobain obsessed roommate who wound up killing himself. i never bothered to fact check. pretty on the inside has NOTHING to do with billy or kurt and apparently billy has credits on 5 songs. still a big chunk but yeah. cool. i'll have to listen to them sometime
>>
>>72871821
>Why were grunge bands so shit at handling success?
handling success means selling out to the jew

it's better to burn out than fade away
>>
>>72872005
this post made me laugh lol
>>
>>72872060
AIC is the best grunge band, fuckface
>>
File: tmp_resize1379024984.png (170KB, 400x275px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_resize1379024984.png
170KB, 400x275px
>give a bunch of uneducated rock musicians a lot of money
>they can now afford to be addicted to alcohol and drugs better than before
>buy more alcohol/drugs
>life still shitty
>now also forced to play the same songs 200 nights a year
>songs you've actually put feeling in to now lose that feeling because endless repeat

really makes you think
>>
>>72872639
THIS.
>>
>>72872060
can't tell if ur trolling or not but go fuck yourself m8. layne is a fucking legend. AIC is timeless
>>
>>72872639
Never thought about it like that before. I guess it's the loss of emotional connection with what you create that causes you to be known as a sellout. For a lot of these artists music is their only outlet so when it becomes too commercial they lose their souls.
>>
>>72872639
I remember hearing Kurt hated playing Teen Spirit over and over
>>
>>72872060
It's not retroactively slapped with buttrock derp, you said that, no one else did. Eddie Vedder is really considered the father of that style btw. Alice In Chains definitely had better songs than Pearl Jam. I can't even think of a single Pearl Jam song I enjoy.

I consider my rating system relatively objective, not completely, but I don't give Kurt points for dying young. I don't like Manic Street Preachers, and I think THEY are a perfect example of an overrated band due to a member's "Death".

Now, with all that said, Nirvana was just clearly the best out of all the "big four" grunge bands. Ignore the politics, ignore Cobain's hypocrisy. If we are looking at it from an artistic perspective, Cobain was clearly the best, artistically. He was the best songwriter. People shit on him for aping Pixies, but if you were intellectually honest, you'd know that Nirvana was superior to Pixies. Yes, he was influenced by them, but Cobain was an amalgamation of influences. He wasn't just aping the Melvins. He was all the quirky indie bands, he was noise rock, he was punk, he was pop, all mixed into one. Which is why his music stands above the rest. Not due to rock mythology created by his death. If he didn't die, Nevermind and In Utero would have still been 2 of the best albums of the 90s.

Alice in Chains are clearly talented, and have wrote more than enough good tunes. I would even argue that they hit GREATER artistic heights than Nirvana, but this is few and far between. Nirvana was CONSISTENT. Even their b-sides shit on most bands best songs. You listen to a Nirvana song and you're getting a good pop song, or at least something noisy and manic.

Soundgarden were all EXTREMELY talented musicians, and had more "music theory" points with knowledgeable people. They played in weird time signatures, they had long songs, they had alternate tunings. Chris was a monster of a vocalist. However, all those factors don't (1/2)
>>
>>72872848
>However, all those factors don't
whatever you're going to say next is gonna be some bullshit
>>
>>72872848
lend themselves to good songwriting. Soundgarden was a not-metal-enough metal band. They didn't have the chops to impress me technically the way a Megadeth record would, or really any thrash, and they didn't have the songwriting capability to compete with Cobain. They were a product of their influences, and they just happened to wear their influences, Sabbath and Zeppelin, on their sleeve more than Nirvana or Alice In Chains.

Alice in Chains suffered from some very on-the-nose songwriting. You can TELL they used to be a hair metal dudes. That influence is there, so there sound is more rooted in the 90s. Soundgarden was weird enough to be a little ahead of the curve, so their sound is a little more timeless, yet they still suffer from MUH PENTATONIC RIFFS BRO.

Cobain didn't. Cobain not only was lyrically cryptic enough that people thought he was speaking nonsense (which he wasn't), but he also knew the perfect musical counterpoint to each one of his riffs. Vocals fit perfectly with the guitar line, the bass line complimented, and the next section of the song was a perfect answer the question posed in the previous.

Cobain gets shat on for "hurr durr muh 3 chords" but this is just ignorance spewed by people who want to hate Nirvana due to contrarian backlash to Nirvana's lasting popularity. Lithium's main riff alone has 7 different chords, and it is a WEIRD and DIFFERENT chord progression that still manages to be catchy, all at once.

Vocally, Cobain was cut from a different cloth. Staley and Cornell were CLEARLY better singers, no doubt. Cornell could sing circles around Cobain. But, and this is from someone who has listened to a decent amount of music, I have yet to hear someone scream as manically as Cobain does, especially on a song like Negative Creep. There's something so primal, so cool about a dude just screaming at the top of his lungs with no regard for his vocal cords. He wasn't controlled power like Cornell, he was complete chaos.
>>
>>72872639
who's next, then?
>>
>>72872995
Eddie
>>
>>72872982
>didn't have the songwriting capability to compete with Cobain
see, I knew it was gonna be some bullshit
kurts lyrics can't complete with the shit chris cornell wrote
some of nirvanas lyrics are literal gibberish
you could take lyrics from cornells solo albums, soundgarden and audioslave and put it in a book and sell it as poetry
>>
>>72873054
I meant more the songs themselves not lyrically.Lyrics are secondary to the songs themselves if you ask me. Lyrically, yeah Cornell was great, better than Cobain? Sure, why not. But the SONGS are not better than Cobain's. Understand?
>>
>>72873054
songwriting =/= lyrical content, you mong
>>
>>72872603
If you actually look at Hole's lyrics it's clearly obvious a woman had large input in the creation of the song. The more you listen to Hole throughout the years you'll see that Courtney tends to re-use a lot of the same themes, certain words etc.

If you wanna try getting into them don't forget about the deep cuts. "My Body The Hand Grenade" and "Ask For It" are amazing
>>
>>72873081
here's the thing, you've now agreed that chris cornell and soundgarden were better in every objective way to nirvana, and your preference for nirvana hinges on a subjective opinion

I happen to have the opposite subjective opinion, that chris cornell has put out upwards of 50 tracks I consider to be better than your favorite nirvana tracks

he took advantage of not committing suicide for a few extra decades which gave him the time to produce so much excellent shit
>>
>>72871821
The Seattle Police Department appreciates your acceptance that Kurt Cobain's death was a suicide. As does Courtney Love.
>>
>>72873164
>Better in every objective way

Songwriting? No

Originality? Hell no

Catchiness (which is vital in pop music)? Nope

Artistic vision? Nope

(Songwriting) Which happens to be the most important part. Yes, Chris was a better vocalist, even a better lyricist. He's also got way more songs to pick from, and a TON more misses than Cobain did. Ultramega Ok and Louder than Love are veritable trash. Audioslave is mostly garbage. Most Soundgarden songs are in a metal purgatory where they aren't hard and technical enough to be impressive, not riff-centric enough to be entertaining, and not pop enough to be catchy.
>>
>>72872412
Hole were actually the best of the grunge bands that made it big as far as record sales went(as far as "grunge" in general went though, they were bested by the Melvins Mudhoney and the Screaming Trees). Courtney Love was one of the most exciting frontpeople in rock at the time
Hole were also considerably bigger than Nirvana when Courtney and Kurt met up, which is why the gold digger take on Courtney never made much sense to me.
>>
ask yourself why grunge even got big anyways, isnt that kind of weird that alt rock became such a cultural force?
It would be like diiv releasing an album today that topped the charts and knocked beyonce drake beiber off of them.
And then there being some sort of shoegaze cultural explosion.

The 90's were a unique time when you think about it
>>
>>72873290
>It would be like DIIV etc

No, it wouldn't.

It's not weird that alt rock became a cultural force because rock was still very much the music of the youth. "Grunge" came right when it was supposed to, people were ready for a new sound, it had been stewing in the underground for awhile.

DIIV isn't even a blip on the radar. Rock isn't relevant anymore. At least new rock music.
>>
>>72873219
courtney thought someone killed kurt ya retard
>>
>>72873333
>DIIV isn't even a blip on the radar. Rock isn't relevant anymore. At least new rock music.

lol i really hate you poptmaists acting like rock was topping the charts back then and not like fucking new kids on the block and Whitney Houston or some shit.

It totally would be the same.
You say rock isnt relevant, what if you woke up tomorrow and diiv was number one on the charts, everyone would be asking what the fuck is diiv and there would be music buinessmen looking to sign diiv knock offs, there would be a shoegaze look and kids at school would be all "yeah im totally a shoegazer"
The local new would ask "IS YOUR CHILD A SHOEGAZER AND IS IT DANGEROUSE?!"
>>
>>72873353

No, anon, she HAD Kurt killed. El Duce, presumably did the deed.
>>
>>72872060
>His voice was fine, but obviously became horribly dated and retroactively slapped with the 'buttrock' 'derp' tag, but beyond that, they just didn't make great music.

If I didn't know better I would think you were talking about Vedder in that sentence.

Layne had the most unique and soulful voice of the big 4 Grunge vocalists. Cornell had the most power and range.
>>
>>72873400
>poptmaists
>acting like rock was topping the charts

Nevermind replaced Michael Jackson's album as number 1 on the album chart. Are you serious right now?

DIIV will never be number one on the charts because there music is both boring shite and not the right type of shite to be number one of anything
>>
>>72872060
>i'm a turbopleb: the post

How can you be so devoid of taste? It's one thing if you just aren't into grunge music. But to actually think AIC are a sub-tier band compared to fucking Pearl Jam and Nirvana? AIC probably had the most original sound of all of the Grunge bands. Cantrell's riffs are unique and his harmonies with Layne make the band's sound unmistakable. The melodies are as catchy as they are dark and haunting.

How is something like Rain When I Die or Dirt (the song) "buttrock derp"? Especially when you compare it to stuff on Pearl Jam's Ten.
>>
>>72873485
>DIIV will never be number one on the charts because there music is both boring shite and not the right type of shite to be number one of anything

Im not saying they are, im saying how fucking weird it would be if they did, you antagonistic retard, that shit would be pure 90's
>>
>>72873452
why are nirvana babbies the most unintelligent fanbase in the entire world
http://www.stereogum.com/1820955/new-alice-in-chains-book-reveals-courtney-loves-suspicion-that-kurt-cobain-didnt-commit-suicide/news/
>>
>>72872509
Wash maybe once a week
>>
>>72872491
Hip hop and rap has changed and helped to keep it relevant. They've got meme and joke rap now.
>>
File: El-duce-02.jpg (86KB, 322x465px) Image search: [Google]
El-duce-02.jpg
86KB, 322x465px
>>72873452
El Duce stated that he knew Courtney had him killed one way or the other, because she approached him to do it but he declined. Then he mysteriously got hit by a train and died two days later.
>>
>>72873525
No, you originally said "isn't it weird that alt rock became such a cultural force?" And then went on to say it'd be like DIIV getting a number one, and I said and proved why that wasn't weird and why it's not like that at all, and then you sperged out and began misspelling things and trying to defend your non-point. It would not be "pure 90s", because DIIV has literally 0 chance of ever being that big, and it makes perfect sense bands like Nirvana and Alice In Chains got big in that time.
>>
>>72872459
this

dude literally died doing what he loved most
>>
>>72873591
So she approached some random nobody to kill a man who at the time was the most famous rock star in the entire world.

whew

What's it like to have Courtney live in your head rent free?
>>
>>72872060
Fuck off, Alice In Chains were the only good band to come out of "the grunge scene".

They were heavy as shit and wrote some fucking dark material, Pearl Jam were pure buttrock, Nirvana were "le edgy underground Seattle sound XD" and Soundgarden were average at best.
>>
>>72873017
he honestly doesn't seem the type.

not that that ever stopped anyone.
>>
>all these grunge guys keep killing themselves
>foo fighters still going

what if "foo" is suicidal ideation? that's why dave grohl is still around. so foo fighting=going against suicidal ideation of other grunge acts..
>>
grunge was never anything more than a major label marketing term anyway
most of those bands were completely unrelated to each other in terms of sound
alice in chains and soundgarden were metal bands, nirvana was college rock, mudhoney was garage punk, pearl jam were pretty typical hard rock, melvins and hole were noise rock, screaming trees were psych/garage rock etc.

it was all a meme made to sell flannel shirts and concert tickets
>>
>>72873547
>>72873619
If these two posts are from the same person, you seriously under-investigate things before you open your mouth about them
>>
>>72873687
>yfw you realize pat smear has been in two bands whose frontmen killed themselves

we'll see whether Dave managed to break the curse or not
>>
>>72873687
really activates my almonds

>>72873703
>melvins
>noise rock

other than that you're pretty much on the money

>>72873642
>They were heavy as shit and wrote some fucking dark material

edgy 15 yo metal head confirmed

Alice In Chains weren't really that "heavy" musically, and while they might have been "heavy" subject matter wise, they were really corny about it, as expected from former glam guys. You are correct about Pearl Jam, they were actually more proto-butt rock though.

Your criticism of Nirvana is practically non-existent. And Soundgarden were better than average.
>>
File: mother-love-bone.jpg (558KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
mother-love-bone.jpg
558KB, 1000x1000px
>>72871821
They're from Seattle so it's in their DNA to kill themselves (except Eddie Vedder because the Pearl Jam guys got him from San Diego when their original frontman died of heroin OD)
>>
File: 08.jpg (11KB, 300x210px) Image search: [Google]
08.jpg
11KB, 300x210px
>>72873727
uhhh can't even provide a proper response, you definitely didn't know about the book. courtney should have been pushing the suicide narrative, instead she was frantically calling people that were strangers to her hoping they knew anything about him getting murdered

u tried
>>
>>72873792
Out of Pearl Jam's good albums only Ten resembles buttrock
>>
File: 1495135015501.png (182KB, 367x367px) Image search: [Google]
1495135015501.png
182KB, 367x367px
>>72873792
>aic wasnt heavy
>>
>>72873930
They really weren't that heavy. In the "grunge" scene sure but in the grand scheme of things not really
>>
>>72872760
God that shit makes me cringe, like Thom Yorke hated playing Creep. Get the fuck over it. You chose that fucking job. You wrote the song, you sent it out to hundreds of thousands of people, and it's an amazing un fucking believable job for somebody to have.
>>
>>72872005
>Mfw I saw him 3 times on 3 different tours in the last 4 years
>Mfw I killed him
>>
>>72873832
The book, the book, the book. Get any other research done, or is that all you need? And if that IS all you've got, have you considered she may have actually been making sure to hide any tracks, under the guise of frantically caring about her soon-to-be ex-husband? According to this 2nd/3rd/4th hand claim that could easily be the case, especially when coupled with the piles of evidence you clearly haven't even heard about.
>>
>>72872005
truly a miserable life
>>
>>72872950
It was bullshit when he dropped this precious line: 'I consider my rating system relatively objective'

99% of everything you read on here, or anywhere else for that matter, is bullshit, the only thing separating posts apart are how comically serious the poster takes himself. I don't even know anymore.
>>
>>72874331
Art can be objectively graded. Sorry you fell for the post-modern meme
>>
File: 1462125597595.jpg (64KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1462125597595.jpg
64KB, 600x600px
>be edgy struggling musician who doesn't want to be famous
>make music that any pleb can enjoy
How ridiculous, even Pavement is harder to get into than Nirvana or Soundgarden
>>
>>72872950
>>72874424
>>72872982
lol
>>
>>72874424
>he brings up memes now after baiting with objectivity
postmodernity really has jumbled your popcultural bearings son
>>
>>72871821
drugs are bad. "grunge" stars were the last rockstars so they had no idea how they were supposed to handle themselves. they took everything way too seriously and didn't know the meaning of moderation

also grunge isn't a real genre
>>
File: A9plo.gif (575KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
A9plo.gif
575KB, 250x188px
>>72874232
yes a book that was published containing information that was "hidden" for 20+ years, a book that she had nothing to do with. i don't know what 2nd/3rd/4th/ claim you're talking about when they talked to layne's stepdad himself and it wasn't even the point of the interview or book it just came up.

meanwhile you're just spouting bullshit providing nothing. "soon-to-be ex-husband". care to provide some documents supporting that (:

anyway since you seem to have all this exclusive evidence no one else has access to you better go take it to the authorities. good luck!
>>
>>72874465
t. mad SG Fan
>>72874467
dude where's your argument.jpg
>>
>>72874545
im sorry did you consider what you were doing one?
>arguing
>with opinions
o dood seriously my dod
>>
File: 1451069439049.jpg (122KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
1451069439049.jpg
122KB, 460x460px
>>72873284
>Hole were also considerably bigger than Nirvana when Courtney and Kurt met up
That's just flat out untrue.
>>
Staley had a one in a million voice.

Literally a once in a lifetime voice, only rivaled by voices of the caliber of Morrison or Danzig.
>>
>forgetting Scott FUCKING Weiland
>who also killed himself

AiC>>>>STP>>>>Nirvana>>>>Soundgarden

GRUNGE IS LITERALLY MORE DANGEROUS THAN BEING A BLOOD DIAMOND TRADER IN SOUTH AFRICA!!!
>>
It's weird to think Staley lasted as long as he did.
When you watch some of the last recorded live footage of AIC, he already looks and sounds extraordinarily weak and decrepit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C-4gdI7uzU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__biilMpnmw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssn9I47Tjd0

To think that he lived and kept destroying himself for 6 more years after this is pretty bleak.
>>
>>72874581
(an argument) (what you said)
>>
>>72874607
Before Smells Like Teen Spirit came out? Not really, Hole had a huge following in the indie scene, especially the UK. Though it seems kinda pointless to try and compare popularity when both of them were indie at the time.
>>
>>72874607
Nah, as far as the American indie rock scene at the time went, Hole were among the A-listers and Nirvana were a very B-list band. They weren't even among the biggest Sub Pop bands, much less the biggest indie bands around at the time.

That's kind of a funny thing to me about Nirvana, in a way they were always the runt of the litter.
By the time it took them to score a major label deal, their contemporaries like Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees and Soundgarden had all already put out their major label debuts(all of which ranged from being moderately successful to extremely successful as far as record sales went).
>>
File: 1491009251154.png (157KB, 332x450px) Image search: [Google]
1491009251154.png
157KB, 332x450px
Wait, Cornell died? Fuck me
>>
>>72872848
>>72872982
I enjoy all of these bands and even I think you're fucking gay
>>
>>72875033
That's cool, I'm glad my opinion made you react in such a way. Do opinions typically bother you?

>>72874789
Revisionist shit.
>>
But my wings have been so deniiiiiiieed

I have been guilty of kicking myself in the teeeeuth uh
I will speak no more of my feelings beneath
>>
>>72875097
lol you wrote two max character posts about your opinion and you wanna talk about reacting a certain way?
>>
>>72875181
>you getting flustered enough to insult me is the same as me sharing my opinion

Yeah no

You realize you are on a music discussion board, correct?
>>
>>72873703
melvins is sludge tho
idk about hole
>>
>>72874490
So that book IS all you have. Just clarifying.

I really didn't mean to get locked into some bullshit argument, so I'm leaving it. You wanna feel like a winner because of that, good for you. I just don't care enough. I've noted that you are thoroughly convinced by a couple passages quoted in an article by someone who clearly believes that what the author of the book he's quoting has written is unquestionably factual, as said author certainly implies he believes, which is that he talked to the father of a now dead fellow rock star, who gave his impression of a brief conversation he supposedly had with Courtney Love over two decades ago, regarding her desire to speak with her son. That is not first hand, or even second hand info, but sure that could all be true. It's still a pretty weak testimony for what was actually going on in her head at the time, but again, that might be the case. We'll never be able to know for sure anymore. Well, you might.

Now that I've accepted all you have to offer, I'm not going to lay out all the details you're unfamiliar with. There's too much, and like I said above, I don't care enough. I recommend you see the documentary Kurt and Courtney for starters, then look any further if you feel like it. Or don't.

tl;dr: You didn't read this because it was too long, and you already know you're definitely right.
>>
>>72873523
How can you not tell that I'm talking about this music in the context of 2017 and not the early 90s?

Play a Nirvana song for a kid today, they'll probably enjoy it.
Play a Pearl Jam song for a kid today (especially their more radio friendly ones), they'll probably enjoy it.
Play Soundgarden to a kid that still subscribes to the slacker/burnout/stoner image or is a fan of classic rock, they'll probably enjoy it.

Play Alice in Chains and they'll probably laugh at you. It's not even grunge, it's generic hard rock with not even one essential track to be named. Layne's vocals are objectively 'good' because he had good tone, but his style is also pretty limiting for their music.

I dunno, based on the barrage of responses, I must the minority. But I grew up with nu-metal and post-grunge, and I loved that shit. Even Audioslave got 12 year old me pretty fired up. But I never once fucked with AIC because they played too straight. I like outsider pop music, and Kurt had that down to a science. AIC just straight up didn't. They went for middle of road hard rock and it never resonated with me on any level.
>>
>>72875219
Yeah I think you have trouble figuring that "discussion" bit out. Sperging out and writing a whole bunch of inflated bullshit isn't discussion.
>>
>>72871821
>kurt cobain
>killed self
lmao
>>
>>72875290
>I define what discussion is

the action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.
"the proposals are not a blueprint but ideas for discussion"
a conversation or debate about a certain topic.

I'm glad my opinion made you forget what discussion is though.
>>
i wish /mu/ was as autistic to classify band genres into notes instead of plebey plaintext nouns

like saying X is F# C minor tho, Y belongs more to the C major sustained counterpoint D dual fade family.

Imagine an entire thread of conversation like this, with reaction chains made of notation sheets. You'd just know the autists participating in it are not seeing letters and symbols but are hearing music from reading. Authentic, poser-intolerant community as fuck.
>>
>Soundgarden
>Pearl Jam
>Nirvana
>Alice in Chains

Am I the only one that things none of these bands sound alike? Nirvana is more punk and the only band I could see grunge describing pretty accurately.

Pearl Jam is like Nickelback to me. Soundgarden and AIC were like 90s metal.
>>
>>72872394
>Kurt killed himself to make his art ethernal. That's pretty amazing desu.

Kurt dying is really similar to Tupac. They both died right before they peaked/went downhill.

I don't understand why after wild success at age 52 Chris would kill himself though. He had no reason to do it.
>>
>>72875262
>outsider pop music, and Kurt had that down to a science. AIC just straight up didn't. They went for middle of road hard rock and it never resonated with me on any level.

I actually like AIC but that was the point I was making. Their songwriting was very much from the hair metal school, that much was obvious. Lots of blues influence, lots of wah guitars. They are definitely more middle of the road, but they benefit from having a traditional sound sometimes, as I think that a traditional sound can tap into a different part of your brain. But yeah, Nirvana was way better.
>>
>>72875382
definitely all have a different sound
>>
File: reaction44.gif (1MB, 325x245px) Image search: [Google]
reaction44.gif
1MB, 325x245px
>>72872848
>>72872982
This fagget knows what he's talking about. Good posts
>>
>>72875382

You're right, none of them sound alike.

>the only band I could see grunge describing pretty accurately.

None of them do. There really isn't a "grunge" sound. Early Soundgarden, Bleach era Nirvana, Tad, Gruntruck, Skin Yard and early Melvins all share a bit of a common thread. But even that is pushing it.

Grunge was just a convenient label to put on all those bands so it could be the new "scene" to replace Hair Metal.
>>
>>72875465
You're right, I just mean that grunge kind of accurately describes the guitar of Nirvana, on songs like Come As You Are and stuff. It's a dirty, grungy sound to me. None of the other bands really have that. Kurt was the only one that had a "grunge" image to me, like a... flannel wearing long haired really early '90s image, the others seemed like copycats to me when they tried to portray that.

But really there isn't a such thing as "Grunge", is there? I'd say Nirvana was almost like Pop Punk or something.
>>
>>72875465
>None of them do. There really isn't a "grunge" sound. Early Soundgarden, Bleach era Nirvana, Tad, Gruntruck, Skin Yard and early Melvins all share a bit of a common thread. But even that is pushing it.
>Grunge was just a convenient label to put on all those bands so it could be the new "scene" to replace Hair Metal.

Also, yeah I agree with this. If there was a "grunge" sound it was all of those artists in the 1980s, before they got big. After 1990 they definitely were completely different
>>
File: 119wjdw.jpg (41KB, 569x428px) Image search: [Google]
119wjdw.jpg
41KB, 569x428px
>>72874716
>Hole was formed the same year Kurt and Courtney met. Nirvana released their first album that same year.
>Hole released their first album around the same time Nevermind was released
You're both retarded. Why do you feel the need to just make up untrue things?
>>
>>72874789
See>>72875523
>>
Would you guys consider this "Grunge"? I honestly feel like this is one of the bands most similar to Nirvana while not being Nirvana. I feel like Nirvana was really influential on Pop Punk and even on 90s emo in a way more so than Post-Grunge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4YoCZ8Vw8
>>
>>72875262
>How can you not tell that I'm talking about this music in the context of 2017

It's actually pretty obvious when you're this far off the mark.

Nothing you say is remotely true and only a total airhead would have these opinions. Speaking objectively Nirvana's sound is about 10x more cookie cutter and generic than AIC's ever was. Nirvana were playing a style that had existed for at least a decade before them. There's nothing they did that band's like Dinosaur Jr. and Husker Du hadn't already been doing in the 80s. Nobody sounded like AIC before they did.

Also "outsider pop music" fits AIC better as well. Their music is filled with amazing harmonies and exceptionally catchy melodies. Yet they probably had the darkest and most down to earth lyrics of any of the Grunge bands. All those bands were known to have heroin issues. None of them ever sang about them as bluntly and honestly as Layne.
>>
>>72875550
It's funny because what you're accusing Nirvana of is really more what AIC did.

Kurt was just too humble to admit he ever innovated anything, he claimed to rip off Dinosaur Jr. and The Pixies out of humbleness and sarcasm
>>
>>72872060
Bashing the best band to come out of the grunge scene. Good job. pleb.
>>
>>72875550
Except Dinosaur Jr and Husker Du don't sound as much like Nirvana as you want them to

I've listened to Dinosaur Jr albums, and while you can tell it's a piece of the Nirvana puzzle, it's not NEARLY as big as you claim it to be.

And Alice in Chains not sounding like anybody huh? You ever listen to King's X? Ever heard the opener to Gretchen goes to Nebraska? That song is proto-Alice in Chains. Practically an Alice In Chains song if you ask me.

>Cookie cutter and generic

Yet Alice in Chains was writing songs like man in the box, an incredibly generic song. Basically hair metal with a little more edge and less glam.

And with lyrics like "Super jaded, out of my mind" in Heaven Beside You? Come on now. Plus that riff after which is basically Jerry trying his hardest to sound badass

"Heaven beside you, hell within" Yeah real groundbreaking lyrics going on there.
>>
>>72875595
Kurt admitted he ripped off The Pixies because he knew they didn't sound that alike. Dinosaur Jr. and Huker Du are better examples which is why I mentioned them. Nice try though.

>It's funny because what you're accusing Nirvana of is really more what AIC did.

Care to share a list of bands from the 80s or earlier that AIC ripped off and sound just like? Or are you going to just keep sharing your shitty subjective opinions like they actually mean anything?
>>
>>72875550
>don't listen to Alice in Chains
>a total airhead

Yeah, this ain't no Brendan Fraser movie bro.
Obviously you're a huge fan and that's cool. I don't really like any of these grunge bands anymore, so I'm not sure why I'm even still in this thread. Kinda just upset about Chris Cornell to be honest...

I personally love the tone of Eddie Vedder's voice, and his doesn't sound 'forced' to me. It just sounds like his natural voice, in all it's slightly derpy glory. Layne to me sounded like he was putting it on every time, and I really can't into that sound.

Even Kurt's feels a bit phoney at times, but his was more a genuine scream than a throaty chinbeard type vocal. His timbre was also very unique, he hit a lot of notes even when sounding breathy or subdued. Layne had to really belt it out to cut through the mix, and that to me just sounds forced. Kurt also just wrote better, more immediate songs. I don't care about his personal diary entries about heroin use, I want poetry and great song structure.

Dunno, would love for you to show me even one track that puts Alice in Chains in even the same stratosphere as Pearl Jam or Nirvana. Keep in mind I'm more of a fan of instrumentation than anything (and I know AIC is famous for having some pretty killer bass guitar tones if nothing else).
>>
>>72875322
Your autistic shit fit was blatantly not for the purpose of exchanging ideas. You define yourself as an "objective critic" which you use to cut down the opinions of others. Get a clue, retard.
>>
>>72875643
Mate are you really saying Nirvana sounds exactly like Dino jr?
>>
>>72875662
>Autistic shit fit
>all I did was write my opinion

hahah why do anons always try to project anger onto others when they are the clearly flustered ones.

So now you claim to know my motivations for posting, yet the whole reason I posted that was to exchange my ideas. So now you've moved the goalpost, because what I said was discussion, you said it wasn't, I proved you wrong, now you have to make what I said out to be an "autistic shit fit" so you don't appear incorrect, even though you are.

Again, I'm glad my post could make you forget what discussion is due to being blinded by rage
>>
Alice In Chains peaked with Tripod desu. Dirt is overrated.

People always talk up Dirt for how miserable and diseased it sounds but to my ears that album has too much of a Headbangers Ball vibe.
Tripod was the one where they really became this sludgy, rotting, bleakly psychedelic nightmare band.
>>
>>72875754
agree
>>
When will people stop giving a fuck about the 90s?

People kind of in a way give more of a shit about 90s music than anything in the 00s. And most 2010+ music is forgotten after a few years.

The 60s, 70s, and 80s have solidified themselves, and are considered classic, but the 1990s music still maintains relevancy today and hasn't truly faded into "the past" category as far as being very distant. Listening to 90s music doesn't really sound dated besides 90/91 stuff and it's been like that for a while. When will people stop caring about people like Kurt Cobain, Tupac, etc.?

When will people get tired of 90s music and stop bringing that era up?
>>
>>72875881
you already made a thread on this
>>
>>72875914
yeah but nobody responded lol
>>
>>72875708
>i'm not mad u r
>I consider my rating system relatively objective
>it's only my opinion

>my opinion
>relatively objective

You must pick only one. Is it discussion, or a critique? Social studies isn't hard anon baka.
>>
>>72875538
Not at all.

Actual dates of band origins aside, as far as the mainstream/commercial music scenario is concerned Nirvana opened the door for Green Day, Green Day opened the door for Blink 182, and Blink 182 led right into the arrival of Sum 41. With each step the authenticity of punk roots deteriorated more and more, starting with Nirvana being surprised at their sudden surge into popularity, on to Sum 41 and their ilk pretty much ready to "sell out" right away (thus, not really selling themselves out so much as what was still considered to be punk). Pop punk = my favorite oxymoron ever.

So Blink 182, a SoCal band, is really much more of a pop-punk band, born into a scene pre-paved for them where pop-punk was already there. Most everyone from the grunge scene was up in rainy, grey, depressing Seattle or nearby, and were derived largely from more underground bands. There's really nothing more than that timeline to link Blink 182 to grunge at all.
>>
File: latest.jpg (232KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
232KB, 1600x1200px
Take this photo and compare it to...
>>
File: 1410305980640.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1410305980640.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>72876004
...this
>>
>>72875361
take your circle of fifths and shove it up your ass!
>>
>>72876004
this doesn't look all that different to how soundgarden and pearl jam looked in those days desu
>>
>>72871821
Seriously though, is there any genre with more drug/suicide deaths than Grunge?
Drugs:
>Layne Staley
>Scott Weiland
>Mike Starr
>Andrew Wood
>Kristen Pfaff
Suicides:
>Kurt Cobain
>Chris Cornell
And those are just the obvious ones
>>
>>72872982
I agree. Pearl Jam is the luke warm coffee of grunge
>>
>>72876004
This one.
See? Can you see the fucking difference?
>>
>>72875941
Great news! It can be both

Discussion:
a detailed treatment of a particular topic in speech or writing.
synonyms: examination, exploration, analysis, study; treatment, consideration
"the book's candid discussion of sexual matters"

You literally started out with >>72875033
>I think you're fucking gay

plus >>72875662
>U had a shitfit!!
>no I didn't
>Though based off your posts you seem mad
>Noooo you can't say I'm mad only I can to you even though it's baseless and yours clearly isn't!!!
>>
>>72873235
>louder than love trash
wew lad strong opinion 8 songs out of 12 are pretty good.
>>
>>72876043
Staley was a suicide as well though. When his ex-fiancee died in 1996 he pretty much lost interest in everything and just went into hiding. Several people close to him said that he was actively trying to kill himself through severe drug abuse, he had no illusions about how he was going to end up.
>>
>>72876080
Shits boring breh
>>
>>72875881
When you and your ilk genocide moot and hirogooki's generation. Or when you make your own /mu/ board on millennialchan
>>
File: mattmelvins1.77121050_std.jpg (24KB, 462x300px) Image search: [Google]
mattmelvins1.77121050_std.jpg
24KB, 462x300px
>>72876056
Or this
>>
>>72875994
in your view, what does it mean for a band to sell out?
>>
>>72872005
This. The Soundgarden reunion was probably the biggest anticipated thing that happened this decade. A lot of his solo work received some tepid reviews in media but the fans still came out in droves, especially for the songbook tour. Hell, I tried getting tickets to one of his solo gigs a few years back and it was practically sold out the moment it was announced.
>>
>>72872060

For some fucking reason though, Stone Temple Pilots is one of those bands where when you listen to them you're like "meh" and then you're like "this is fucking awesome" and then you end up being like "meh" again.

Alice in chains's listening catalog is like drugs. You find one and you listen to it and get burned out. but you try one album that you tried before and didn't like it but you actually like it and enjoy it more and then the process repeats.

This never happen with me with Nirvana, I liked In Utero first, then Bleach and then back to Nevermind. Sorry for being a normie folks :^)
>>
File: 3069.jpg (384KB, 887x960px) Image search: [Google]
3069.jpg
384KB, 887x960px
>>72876056
Or this one.
>>
>>72875881
maybe soon. my friend played biggie to his 14 year old sister and shes like "who the fuck is that?" meanwhile halsley (or w/e her fucking name is) has a song on the radio with the mindless lyrics about being raised on "biggie and nirvana".
>>
>>72876056
>>72876152
>>72876192

See >>72876035

Good work ignoring all those photos of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden where they look like low-tier hair metal/cock rock bands too broke to afford proper hair metal outfits.
>>
>>72876190
STP could have been one of the best out of that whole scene but idk something about their music doesn't hit like it's supposed to. They were extremely close too. It's too bad. I think they could have possibly benefited from different production. They were easily the most diverse and talented songwriting wise besides Nirvana imo, but their music just doesn't hit me.
>>
>>72876035
Exactly.
But melvins, nirvana, tad mudhoney, etc didn't look like that at all. They didn't look like a bunch of pretentious chads. They also didn't sound like that...
>>
>>72875681

No. I'm saying that Nirvana sounds more like their influences than AIC do.
>>
File: download.jpg (4KB, 149x144px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 149x144px
>>72871821
>Kurt Cobain killed himself
>Chris Cornell killed himself
>>
>>72871821
You know who else killed themselves? Brad Delp, the fucking singer from Boston. Can we please stop all this "oooh noo seattle is saaaad! Grunge is so depressing!" bullshit?
>>
>>72876371
>They were extremely close too.

Purple and Tiny Music are God-tier. They couldn't have done much better. Their other albums were solid as well.
>>
>>72876284
Well yeah, it's because Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were the same mediocre tier as Alice in Chains.
>>
>>72876107
>boring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm0IhihIHdA
>>
>>72876425
The real question is.....did any of these rock stars actually kill themselves?

I believe Ian Curtis did. Most of the other ones I don't buy.
>>
>>72876482
>>72876482

was it loominati? maybe the lizard people?
>>
>>72876161
That's always the golden question, isn't it? Personally, I think it's when a band trades in their artistic integrity for fame and fortune. In some circles that can be attributed to their cultural integrity as well (like with punk, for example). Based on that description, I don't think Nirvana sold out, it was just that the landscape changed. I do think at least one of them FELT like they kinda sold out though, just because of the cultural shift. I think Green Day sold out (their scene at least), and I think Blink 182 saw that and thought, "good idea." I don't think Sum 41 sold out in that way, because by then it was already an established scene they could pursue in the first place. MTV generationalized.

If you're familiar with the band Chumbawumba, that just might be the greatest example of a band selling out ever.
>>
>>72876536
Nigga fuck off. The L.A. record industry is DIRTY as fuck. It has been PROVEN they extort/harass/threaten artits. (JDL etc.)

It's no 'conspiracy'.
>>
>>72874014
there's a difference between banging tin because you have to and putting emotion and energy into something because you have to. I certainly couldn't do the second.
>>
>>72874431
>Chris Cornell
/thread
>>
>>72876605
Yep. Mainstream media/ entertainment industry = (((mob)))
>>
>>72876559
i grew up listening to nirvana, green day, blink, and sum41. only saw green day in concert though. id still like to see sum41.

im prob missing stuff here, but here's how i see it:
nirvana, dead before selling out.
green day, sold out when chasing the emo scene
blink, sold out by reproducing the same shit again & again. they're like the nickleback of punk-pop. (i like Angels & Airwaves though)
sum41, idk how i feel.
>>
>>72876709
Entering into any kind of deal with these people is incredibly foolish.

Kubrick straight up said it.
>>
maybe dont make really accessible music if you dont want to be famous
>>
>>72876896
or wear a kfc bucket on your head
>>
>>72876896
You still believe that bullshit?
>>
File: thefaceofdoubt1.jpg (33KB, 607x530px) Image search: [Google]
thefaceofdoubt1.jpg
33KB, 607x530px
>>72876896
>people commit suicide because they don't want to be famous.
>>
>>72872412
Their first album Pretty on the Inside is noise rock, in a similar vein to Sonic Youth and bands of that nature. Live Through This is a bit more accessible for most listeners.
>>
You know whatever nevermind
>>
>>72876946
this
you dummies don't understand Chris was on medication that was a high dosage which had one of the side affects be suicidal thoughts and slurred voice. He had a slurred voice so he probably also was depressed. Don't know about though

Layne was just so deep in addiction he literally rotted away in an apartment on heroin and spray cans

Kurt was cucked by Courtney and was deep in addiction so he killed himself

none of them was directly influenced by being famous
>>
File: 483942943.jpg (97KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
483942943.jpg
97KB, 630x420px
>>72875253
sry babes it's not just me, basically the entire world. go on and cling to your fan fiction tho
>>
>>72877088
Cobain didn't kill himself anon. He was murdered.
>>
>>72875523
Yes because Hole didn't release anything else before Pretty on the Inside. No singles, nothing.

Good to know
>>
>>72877088
Cornell didn't kill himself either.
>>
>>72877115
Courtney Love is shady as fuck.

Probably a '''butterfly'''
>>
>>72877111
trips of truth
>>
>>72876918
well that obviously doesn't work since you and I both know who you're talking about, so he's clearly pretty famous
>>
>>72877142
Did you quote the wrong person
>>
>itt: nirvana was actually good and aic is bad

lmao what. we got some real contrarian shit going on now
>>
>>72875382
The whole grunge term was coined by Bruce Pavitt and Jonathan Poneman of Sub Pop to basically sell the bands signed to their label and to give it sense of community.
>>
>>72877322
well I tell you what
those guys know how to do a good job
>>
File: 200_s.gif (26KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
26KB, 267x200px
>>72871821
because they've partially built their success on shunning success.

full circle.
>>
>>72873452
>>72873619
>>72873832
>>72874490
Literal fucking retardation, from someone who's up in their own ass.
I would really hate to know you in real life
>>
>>72877368
Fuck off.

No one kills themselves because their famous.

Let's be real....Hollywood is the mob and kills people.>>72877398
>>
>>72875253
Kurt and Courtney....dude really? Are you gonna suggest Tom Grant's stuff next christ. Love how there's literally dozens of theories, and alterations of them and fans can't even stick to one cohesive timeline.
>>
>>72876192
WOOD
GOB
LIN!!!!!!
>>
File: haircut.jpg (53KB, 545x561px) Image search: [Google]
haircut.jpg
53KB, 545x561px
>>72877438
I agree that the fame aspect is the mane catalyst, but come on friendo, you have to admit that these people got what they want and never wanted it again. they created music to spite the mainstream and got sucked into the mainstream because it resonated with people at the time. Their success subverted their ideals.
>>
>>72877398
aw i'd love to know someone irl who is retarded enough to think courtney is that powerful and clever. would be fun! here let me save you some time
>b-b-but it's super easy to get one of the most famous men in the entire world killed!
>>
>>72877548
nice lyric insert
>>
>>72877588
>b-b-but it's super easy to get one of the most famous men in the entire world killed!
well, I mean, it seems pretty easy
chris cornell and kurt cobain both died "alone" in a bathroom
>>
cornell died from autoerotic asphyxiation
>>
>>72877548
These musicians got into business with people they should not have and paid the ultimate price.

Disinfo away....but it's the truth.
>>
>>72877589
thnx anon
>>
>>72877588
It was her HUSBAND you dumb disinfo nigga.
>>
>>72877316
Really activates the almonds, doesn't it?
>>
>>72877610
PUHleeze. Like that's even a real thing.

BULLSHIT
>>
>>72871862
The Black Album came out in the 90s though. Possibly the biggest sellout of all time
>>
>>72877646

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_asphyxiation#Famous_cases
>>
File: download (1).jpg (6KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
6KB, 290x174px
>>72877646
david carradine btfo
>>
>>72877588
Plenty of punk sources have stated that Courtney manipulated people and used her nasty ass pussy power to get what she wanted.
But you have literally no idea what you are talking about, you read a single polarized biased book and all of a sudden think you know what you are talking about.
It's actually really funny and pathetic, plz keep posting bud
>>
>>72875640
If you are the same anon who was posting about how much you loved post-grunge and nu-metal, kindly post some examples of what you consider "great lyrics" from those genres. I'll wait.
>>
>>72877646
Robin Williams son died from autoerotic asphyxiation.
But he was still the World's Greatest Dad
>>
>>72875994
eh, I'd say the Offspring more closely influenced by, and benefitted from the success of, Nirvana. And they were genuinely underground when they got big (Smash is still the biggest selling album released on an indie label, I believe). Also they had a much grittier sound than Green Day.
Both bands ended up sounding like shit in their later years, mind.
>>
>>72871821
because they weren't trying to get nearly as big as they did, it was a fluke in the industry and these guys weren't necessarily part of the game they found themselves at the forefront of
that said, in the specific case of chris cornell, he definitely sought it out, as for why or how he felt about it, that's unknown
>>
File: l04he.jpg (27KB, 399x385px) Image search: [Google]
l04he.jpg
27KB, 399x385px
>>72877693
>more Hollywood niggas offered up as 'proof'

fuck outta here

Like those DC politico niggas who die from 'bench pressing'
>>
>>72877364
I read somewhere that their receptionist made up some grunge lingo on the fly when all the music publications called the label trying to get a clue as to what the whole scene was about during it's infancy.
>>
>>72877666
More Hollywood people.

>b-b ut muh Michael Hutchison

I know you're a shill, but if you weren't I'd have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
>>
>>72877693
good film
thinking about it makes me miss robin williams again
>>
>>72877779
True. They printed it in the NYTs.

'wack slacks'. Kek.
>>
>>72876076
Anon, you don't get it. Literally n o b o d y c a r e s what your synopsis on these bands is. You got buttflustered enough to write two max character posts in response to a post you disagreed with. You're an autist. You'd best just come to terms with it.
>>
>>72877111
I know all about Kurt Cobain because I watched a documentary. He is dead. He is alive. It was suicide. It was murder. He sings kumbaya because he was so fucking happy.
I love Curt so much his wife killed him. I feel good to drag his family through the mud. Because I watched a documentary.
>>
File: mtv32.jpg (26KB, 282x400px) Image search: [Google]
mtv32.jpg
26KB, 282x400px
>>72877608
k go kill courtney then, you have until may 23rd. chop chop

>>72877633
and? how exactly was she able to cover her tracks to their entire inner circle, which became even bigger after they got married. you gotta stop gassing courtney, i know she's one of the most gifted assassins of her clan but chill

>>72877673
lmaooo like WHAT. bitch was a flop, she was trying non-stop to make it in the 80s and didn't get an ounce of fame until 1990 with hole.

oh wait i forgot she had a role in some shitty-ass indie movie with joe strummer. that really turned her into quite the a-lister, congrats queen of manipulation courtney slay yassss
>>
File: 364.png (3KB, 448x357px) Image search: [Google]
364.png
3KB, 448x357px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge_speak

During the interview, Jasper made up the following terms and their definitions:

bloated, big bag of bloatation – drunk
bound-and-hagged – staying home on Friday or Saturday night
cob nobbler – loser
dish – desirable guy
fuzz – heavy wool sweaters
harsh realm – bummer
kickers – heavy boots
lamestain – uncool person
plats – platform shoes
rock on – a happy goodbye
score – great
swingin' on the flippity-flop – hanging out
tom-tom club – uncool outsiders
wack slacks – old ripped jeans
>>
>>72877747
Yeah, I just meant like as a loose marketing example, not so much musically (other than the blanket term "punk"). As far as the music industry capitalists were concerned. But yeah.
>>
File: wat.gif (1MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
wat.gif
1MB, 640x480px
>>72877800
the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>72875262
Terrible taste.
>>72875433
Your explanation describes why AIC is great. Electric blues is above all else, and they made it both masculine and angsty.

Nirvana is pop music, pop fans are brain dead.
>>
This is the best Grunge album of all time.
>>
Nirvana: dude what if the beatles and the pixies but also metal and punk

Soundgarden: dude what if led zepplin but metal and punk

Alice in chains: dude what if black sabbath but on heroin and slightly more punk

Pearl jam: dude what if neil young but metal and punk
>>
>>72877913
>swingin' on the flippity-flop – hanging out
fuck, my sides
it's like the rooty-tooty point & shooty all over again
>>
>>72877913
kek

bloated, cob nobbler, dish, harsh realm, kickers, lamestain, score i remember hearing all these both on the street/club and in the movies of the era.

way to go Jasper, a true memelord
>>
>>72877913
This is fucking great. I'm gonna start unironically using this.
>>
>>72875640

If you can't respect AIC for their mainstream hits which I agree are generic, respect Mad Season for this beautiful song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swxw2t-9ir4
>>
>>72871821
I was just saying this yesterday

Someone protect Eddie Vedder! He's the last major grunge singer left
>>
>>72877159
It's a full house of truth mate, dubs-trips.
>>
>>72877908
My bad, I thought you were a real person, but you must just be fishing for (you)s, little girl
No one can be this stupid, uninformed, then at the same time think they know what they're talking about.
Keep it up though bud, maybe next you can read Clifford the Big Red Dog and tell us all about psychological conditioning on canines
>>
>>72878058
that all works pretty fucking good except for the nirvana one, I'm not seeing it
>>
File: Nirvana.jpg (87KB, 640x539px) Image search: [Google]
Nirvana.jpg
87KB, 640x539px
>>72878171
My punk sources told me otherwise :-) but keep fighting the fight sis! Take all your exclusive evidence and bring Courtney to justice woooo careful though she might kill you too
>>
>>72872060
Laynes voice was the best part of AiC. Dirt and Jar of Flies are the only must have albums by them though. Facelift has 4 good songs, Sap is ok, and the self titled just isn't close to on the same level as Dirt

Best grunge albums by the big 5 in order
>badmotorfinger>dirt>bleach>ten>Purple
>>
>>72878194
dude, this is litttrly a Beatles song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpMt_YqVbhw
>>
>>72877891
Frances has been gushing about her mom a lot recently on Instagram, must be killing them.
>>
>>72878273
ok, you got me there
>>
>>72872060

AiC, Soundgarden and STP are best groups in 90s alt-rock scene.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>72877891
I trust the information in the documentary and judging by the behavior Courtney has publicly engaged in through the years she's cemented her reputation as an angry skank with no concern for social responsibility. I'm not saying she killed Kurt. I'm sure he loved her. But she earned her name being dragged through the mud on her own.
>>
>>72878319
i remember kurt once said he drove around for hours listening to meet the beatles before he wrote that one
>>
>>72877891
I really enjoyed this post.
>>
>>72878058
Pretty true

Rankings hold up too
>>
>>72876192
HELP ME JACK PEPSI
>>
>>72878370
I believe it
just about every artist lists the beatles as one of their major or their #1 biggest influence
you don't usually get a direct homage track like that though
>>
>>72878397
oh yeah

Guns and roses: dude what if the rolling stones but metal and punk
>>
>>72878194
Yeah that's essentially what the Grunge movement was always supposed to be. An amalgamation of classic rock with early metal and punk rock. They were all into punk and metal but far enough removed from the pretentiousness of the L.A. punk and metal scenes to buy into all of the bullshit attitudes they had down there. About what was or wasn't ""true"" punk or metal. So they had long hair like metal dudes but had a who gives a fuck? attitude like the punk bands.

Also stuff that was hated in L.A. was accepted in Seattle.Llike post-Damaged era Black Flag
>>
>>72878570
My War and Slip It In are fucking amazing, better than Damaged that was more of a transition between the Dez era and the Henry era
>>
>>72878058
I always felt AiC was a bit more GnR.
>>
>>72878570
Im waiting for the first rock band to figure out
: dude what if michael jackson but punk and metal

Closest is tame impla, but its more like: dude what if michael jackson and psychedelic music
>>
>>72873792
>AIC not really heavy

You know stuff doesn't need to have death metal vocals and blast beats to be heavy right? Black Sabbath have some of the heaviest songs of all time despite them being from the early 70s.
>>
>>72878624
They moved from LA to seattle when the grunge scene took off so that's probably where they get that sound. You can really hear that influence on Facelift
>>
>>72878625
>: dude what if mj but punk and metal

I don't think such band exists
>>
Why do people hate STP so much, and Scott Weiland in particular? imo purple and tiny music fucking rule, but nobody really likes to associate them with the mainstream grunge scene it seems. what gives?
>>
>>72878609
Indeed. It was great material but a lot of the L.A. scene thought they were selling out. They also grew their hair long during that time and Rollins in particularly became kind of overly defensive and shitting on the typical Punk Rock mind set.
>>
all these cunt hating on pearl jam, kys
>>
>>72878678
thats what im saying, it should, that would be a novelty, something old, something new, but with a modern twist
>>
>>72878698
Always thought Henry was a pretentious douche until i read that years ago, punk elitism is a total contradiction, Henry was right
>>
>>72878625
>dude what if michael jackson but punk and metal
the issue with that is the amount of work it takes to become a michael jackson
that dude practiced 18 hours a day and shit
nobody can do that
>>
>>72878736
Yeah. He kinda was a douche, especially back in the day. But he's also just socially inept, or at least was back then. He had the right frame of mind but over did it at times (see his first nardwuar interivew and the interview with the 14 year old fan)

He's a cool guy now though and I really enjoy his stand up stuff. He has some good stories.
>>
>>72878951
You can't deny that he's still got the pretentious mindset though.
I think one of the most pretentious punkers though is Fat Mike. I still love him though
>>
>>72871821
I don't see how being mad that Ticketmaster is gouging their customers is autistic.
>>
>>72871821
>Kurt Cobain kills himself after Nirvana becomes too big for him to handle
Good... They suspect nothing...
>>
>>72879125
I agree. That Ticketmaster thing was bold but for the right reasons
>>
>>72879145
Have Kuck babbies resorted to RPing now
>>
>>72879081
I think Fat Mike toned down a little since the book though. But he still doesn't give a fuck about anything.
>>
>>72872005
I CAN COUNT IT ON MY FINGERS
I HAVE ALL MY REASONS NOT TO FEEL
>>
>>72879362
He's sober now, which breaks my heart, because he was always the shit human being I could view as being a little shittier than me.
Bought a kilt because of him
>>
>>72878625
What is nine inch nails
>>
>>72879407
Yeah the detox thing. I forgot about that.
I don't know if it lasts though. He started drinking again so...
>>
>>72879456
Idk I know that drinking is bad, but the I feel like the coke/valium + drinking, was why it was so bad
>>
>>72879499
Probably. I remember watching the first Backstage Passport and he said that he was taking 20 diferent pills everyday. And that was 9 years ago.
>>
>>72877866
>Literally n o b o d y c a r e s

And nobody cares about...anyone's opinion here? Do you think you're somehow special? I've eviscerated your points multiple times, so now you resort to the final

>hurr durr no one cares anyway anon

Yeah, no shit? Obviously someone cares on a small level since you reacted so negatively, and another anon agreed with what I said and said I knew what I was talking about.

Those opinions weren't really that much of a reaction to that post if you read it. It's something I've formulated before on grunge threads. I didn't get
>buttblasted
(nice use of decade old u-madisms that would make a /b/tard blush though)

And I don't know how max-character posts are relevant either, I'm sorry lots of words scare you. The fact is every point you've made has been proven wrong, and no matter how many times you say "u mad" or "autist" or "retard" won't change that
a. you didn't know what discussion meant
b. you were so flustered you insulted me and continued to argue with me despite being wrong the whole time
c. you claimed no one cared yet you cared enough to reply multiple times in argument, as well as the other anon who agreed with me
>>
>>72879651
What other punks/musicians do as much fucked up shit as Fat Mike?
Not including GG
>>
>>72872060
>tfw actually triggered reading your post
imagine having such a shit taste
>>
>>72877960
>Nirvana is pop music

So is Alice in Chains

Nirvana also happen to make the most inaccessible music out of the big four, and they were the best at it, too.
>>
>>72875640
>Yet Alice in Chains was writing songs like man in the box, an incredibly generic song. Basically hair metal with a little more edge and less glam.
you sound so stupid
>>
>>72880001
Stefan Molyneux
>>
>>72879914
How caught up in yourself do you have to be to keep posting these walls of text
>>
>>72880081
Sorry sir I'll make sure to keep my posts to a 10 character minimum for your 10 brain cell maximum brain sir!

I know reading hurts your brain because you have trouble with any thought that is longer than a single sentence, so I'll try to accommodate.
>>
>>72880136
I mean come on you're not even good at talking shit
But I can clearly tell you think you're hot shit with hot opinions. After 4 hours of anons telling you you're an autistic retard you think you'd get it through your thick fucking skull.
>>
File: rqw.jpg (89KB, 507x594px) Image search: [Google]
rqw.jpg
89KB, 507x594px
While you filthy plebeians argue over Nirvana, Alice, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam I think we all know who the REAL winner is
>>
File: pearl-jam_yield.jpg (75KB, 803x795px) Image search: [Google]
pearl-jam_yield.jpg
75KB, 803x795px
I don't understand the universal hate for Peal Jam here. There are better groups out there both their contemporaries and elsewhere but c'mon, it's like nobody here has listened to Yield or Vitalogy before
>>
>>72880196
>"Lol ur not even good at talking shit"
>calls me an autist, the one insult everyone uses

also

>One anon calls me an autist, a practically meaningless insult on 4chan
>"lol bro everyone thinks you're autistic"

You're still the one who didn't know the definition of a discussion right?
>>
>>72880212
>Not posting her Asian boytoy
>>
>>72880237
me neither
I'd go and see them every time they were in town
if I wasn't for my crippling social anxiety
>>
>>72872005
I smiled at this, then got sad.
>>
>>72880274

Saw them at Bonnaroo last year, really great show. I think Eddie was a little sauced though, hearing him slur/butcher the words to Wishlist was kinda funny. I lost it when they started playing Given to Fly man, that song's my jam
>>
>>72880248
Who were you "discussing" with? All the people who tell you that you suck?
I guess autism truly does mean that you can't understand the emotions that people are trying to convey to you.

Keep having wrong opinions, and keep getting easily triggered little boy. Makes for more (you)s for you
>>
>>72872005
kek
>>
>>72880323
>one guy tells me I suck
>"all these people"

lol how delusional can you get

>Autism truly does mean that you can't understand emotions that people...

Emotions? When did emotion come up? Are you trying to say you have a little...emotional investment in your needless arguing right now?

>Keep having wrong opinions
and the truth comes out. I said something you didn't like and now you can't let it go.
>>
>>72879968
Those punks are old. They don't do half the things they did in the 80's/90's. Fat Mike kept it up but even him got tired of it.
Fletcher still occasionally fucks things up, Noodles drinks heavily and that's it. It's a real shame.
>>
>>72872060
you are absolutely right and i really appreciate you saying that. for some reason /mu/ is especially filled with contrarians who like to proclaim that AiC are somehow clearly the best. i've always liked layne staley and AiC but they do not deserve to be put in a category above soundgarden or nivana. stone temple pilots are quite similar to AiC in quality but if you make that comparison here people freak out. and anyone comparing layne staley to chris cornell in terms of vocal ability is having a fucking laugh
>>
>>72880315
I love listening to their live albums
when he has the fans sing the climax to Black, you can tell everyone in the arena knows every word
>>
>>72872537
Sometimes, he also went weeks without washing it other times.
>>
>>72872639
I mean this is exactly what happened to all the famous rockers of the 60's and 70's and only like 1/3rd of them died from drugs or suicide.
>>
>>72873017
he seems the type to not kill himself just to spite everyone who expects him to go next. He was the only one really into the ticketmaster thing, and they would have stopped it sooner if it wasn't for him
>>
>>72872401
Is that Jason Everman on the left? I know he was in Soundgarden briefly after his also very brief stint in Nirvana.
Thread posts: 306
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.