[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for musicians

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

Would you sell out and compromise your art if it meant getting super rich and famous?
>>
nope, fame and fortune are for small minded peasants who aren't interesting or valuable as people so they yearn for those two things to fill the gaping holes inside of them

people who are interesting and fulfilled know fame is a curse and money is a means to an end and not the end itself
>>
I can't really see myself enjoying fame.

The amount of attention I get currently already makes me uncomfortable. Getting recognized in public, much less regularly pestered, would be pretty awful.
>>
I love making music and don't give a fuck about fame- but at the same time, yes, of course I would. Because it wouldn't be a compromise. Tons of artists of all different styles get a wide audience. Getting a wide audience isn't selling out, it's really just the sign that you're doing it right- it may mean you're more accessible, but more accessible doesn't mean bad
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw

I would not, I prefer being white as shit and living a upper middle class lifestyle. But I would be famous if it was for a good cause.
>>
>>72857401
Giving the audience what they want always seems to be an artistic misstep in the end, though.
>>
>>72857450
How is it a misstep when honestly, every artist you and I enjoy is well received and famous to an extent? And I don't mean that we only listen to radio pop. Hell, I love Jandek, but this applies to him too.
>>
>>72857484
I mean the audience is always going to want to hear a rehash of what they consider to be someone's best or most familiar work, they don't want to be led on to something new.

I mean since Thom is the OP, Radiohead would have just stuck with stuff that sounds like OK Computer forever. They're hardly avant garde or anything, but they had more to say than that. Giving a shit about what the fans want would have just held them back.

You can be well received without pandering to your own audience.

The best approach seems to be to just do what seems the most interesting to you, maybe promote it after the fact but don't expect anything to come out of it.
>>
I would sell out but only so I could then reverse sell out and be a hero like Radiohead or Talk Talk
>>
I guess if I were to be a popstar, I would prefer to be someone like Thom Yorke or Björk, who get to reap the benefits of being very successful musicians, but who are under no contractual obligations as far as their music is concerned and are basically free to do whatever they want with their sound.

Combining success and money with artistic integrity would be great.

Very few musicians get to do this though.
>>
>>72857659
They still have to deal with public scrutiny. Bjork in particular seems uncomfortable with it at times.
>>
>>72857352
3deep5me
>>
File: 1464984584165.jpg (140KB, 803x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1464984584165.jpg
140KB, 803x1024px
>>72857306
I don't want to be famous, but I definitely want to be rich.

I'm broke as fuck at the moment and live in a shitty flat and sleep on a bloody and pube ridden mattress, I eat 1.5 meals a day. Being a rich hedonistic asshole would be a lot better than this.

But in saying that, I guess I would work as a producer for mainstream artists creating mindless pop drivel to bring in the shekels. That way I don't have to compromise my art in my own personal project.
>>
>>72857821
why the hell do you bleed on you mattress
>>
>>72857306
Yeah, of course
Make a couple of decent if accessible and shallow records, and once I'm financially comfortable I can start doing whatever I want
>>
>>72857909
the fleas man, the fleas

2016 was a shit year
>>
>>72857641
This. Start off doing something pretty interesting, get signed and release some accessible stuff that still has the merit of your early work then use the money to make your true art pieces.
>>
>>72857970
yeah but you'll be screwed with record contracts and bad press.
>>
>>72857764
I think most people have learned to steer clear of Bjork, especially if she has her kid with her.
>>
>>72857306
I'd settle for moderately rich and famous.
>>
>>72857401
just getting an audience isnt 'selling out' though
When your pushing an image some record execs gave you.
Or being handed lyrics and acting like theyre all your own.

shit like that is selling out, the type of shit sociopaths are ok with
>>
>>72857821
most people think they want to be rich but what they really want is security

money, like anything else, will destroy you in excess

nobody really wants to be famous, they want to be valued and appreciated and feel like they are worth something. fame is a gross misrepresentation of that because it's not you that they fans value, but a warped caricature. you're more of a brand than a person, hence the 'selling your soul' trope and the dead inside pop artist
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.