[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/jazz/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_3765.jpg (16KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3765.jpg
16KB, 355x355px
ECM edition

What are you listening to?
What do you think about the ECM label?
What are your favorite releases from the label?
Favorite releases from this year? Best ECM release from this year?

For you guys who play jazz post your stuff here too. I want to hear it.
>>
>>72847421
bump
>>
"That guy who has only listened to Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme" here,
How do I go on about getting more into jazz?
Do I need to know music theory to appreciate it?
What do I listen for when listening to an album?
>>
>>72847421

Saw Metheny live yesterday - Metheny, Gwilym Simcock, Linda Oh and Anthony Sanchez played old Metheny tunes for 2.5 hours basically. Metheny's slick, but melodic soloing is pretty great to see live, but the set was just too long for me - not that big of a fan.
>>
>>72848934
>How do I go on about getting more into jazz?
Listen to more of it duh. Like the sax solos on KoB? Try some Cannonball Adderley or (more) Coltrane.
>Do I need to know music theory to appreciate it?
No.
>What do I listen for when listening to an album?
Focus on the solos but also on the tune itself, find some standards you like and a performance you love of it.
>>
>>72848934
Well which of those do you like best and what did you like or dislike about either one?
>>
File: stanko-balladyna.jpg (44KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
stanko-balladyna.jpg
44KB, 600x600px
ECM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-SQP4x1Kog
>>
File: volition1.jpg (37KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
volition1.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
unusual ECM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bITBIMNNV1Q
>>
>>72849026
>>72848967
I kind of like both, maybe ALS more.

KoB
I really like the slow-mid paced tone, sax solos kind of stood out more for me. I especially like the intro.
ALS
Again sax here, also piano in 2nd and 3 songs and drums in 3rd. I like how catchy this is.
>>
>>72848934
Listen to more jazz. Find a chart or a list of some classic albums online and just listen to them. There's no secret to it. The only trick you might not be aware of if you're used to rock or pop is that with jazz, you can look at the credits for an album and find more stuff by the same musicians by way of Wikipedia or some other resource. So for example if you like the piano solos on Kind of Blue you might want to check out some albums by Bill Evans.

You don't need to know music theory, but you might benefit from it (or you might not). My approach is that if I'm interested in the theory behind something, I look it up, but I don't go out of my way to understand something I don't care about. The likelihood is if you get into the music you'll pick up stuff about theory on the way and become interested in it.

If you're just getting into jazz via bop-based stuff like KoB and ALS, probably the main thing to listen to at any point is the soloist. What are they playing? How does it relate to the backing? Which is your favourite solo/soloist on the album? What do you like about it?

One of the ways you can compare the two albums you've heard, for example, is by focusing on Trane's solos. Both albums begin with tracks that have a very similar structure, based around a repeated figure played on bass. But what Trane does with that figure is really interesting.

If you listen to Psalm from about 4:55 it's really clear that this particular solo is based around variations of the intro to the piece. But then listen to his solo on So What (which starts at about 3:25) and, although it's less obvious at first, he does something similar, with all of his melodic explorations being grounded in very quick statements of the main theme.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but that's the sort of detail that fascinates me about jazz, and keeps me coming back to the albums I like, so maybe that'll help you appreciate it?
>>
>>72850148
Meant to say Acknowledgement, not Psalm.
>>
File: music_improvisation_company.jpg (62KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
music_improvisation_company.jpg
62KB, 600x600px
free jazz on ECM (1970)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y2uxholzBE
>>
>>72851635
Jamie Muir the guy from King Crimson?
>>
File: 8818_121599031007.jpg (106KB, 400x372px) Image search: [Google]
8818_121599031007.jpg
106KB, 400x372px
How do I write reviews of free jazz albums? What points could I try to argue to someone who's reading, my thoughts on the music? It's so abstract I can't even put my words on. That bothers me a bit, I'd like to have a clear understanding for what made me like or dislike a free jazz album? What's your thoughts?
>>
>>72853180
Try reading how other people review free jazz albums that you've heard and think about if you agree or disagree with what they wrote. freejazzblog.org has good reviews and so does jtg but I don't know if he reviews that much free jazz.
>>
Favorite Jazz-Funk album?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.