[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Poptimism Now As Blinkered As The Rockism It Replaced?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: 1482726527712.jpg (116KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1482726527712.jpg
116KB, 645x773px
>Poptimists argued, once, that the disposal and the shiny were as valuable as the self-consciously worthy. They argued that the single was as worthwhile as the album. They insisted that unquestioning reverence for a style of music - reverence that was adopted just because that was the way things were, rather than because of any inherent worth in the music - was unjustified

>Now, though, pop occupies the space that, for many years, rock had colonised: the one in which, in the critic Douglas Wolk's words, rock was "normative", in other words, "rock is the standard state of popular music: the kind to which everything is compared, explicitly or implicitly". That's now the case with pop, and other non-rock genres, such as R&B and hip-hop.

http://thequietus.com/articles/22389-rockism-poptimism

Thoughts?
>>
i'm glad music journalism is dying
>>
>>72834401
>>72834401
Read this the other day, dude's right.
>>
>>72834401
Not going to read that, but I'd say it's now worse than rockism. At least rockism focuses mostly on the music, a lot of poptimist journalism focuses on outside factors like the message or the societal relevance more than what the actual content of a record or single is.
>>
Yes, poptimism is pure cancer. I wouldn't say it's ruining music, because nothing really ever ruins music. But it is an annoying tumour on the music industry that I wish would be cut off. If it does ruin music at all, it's by ignoring artists simply because they aren't popular.
>>
>>72835136
>If it does ruin music at all, it's by ignoring artists simply because they aren't popular.
this is the only reason i hate poptimism- shunning entire worlds of music because you "haven't heard of it." as bad as this board can get, we can bullshit about what is or isn't on the /mu/core chart: just remember, the outside world is full of people whose music doesn't go anywhere beyond ed sheeran or the chainsmokers
>>
>>72835386
That's really the main reason to hate poptimism, and it's probably the most valid reason.

There's also the bit about putting down all sorts of rock music in general, which is basically throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
>>
>>72835427
Right. Instead of evening out the discussion, it's just been inverted. Now if things aren't topping the charts or extremely popular it's "for a reason" which implies that it's bad and if it weren't everybody would like it.

Or lashing out towards "rock music" (bonus points if there's a mention of how it's "music made by white men for white men")
>>
>>72835386
>>72835427

I think the point in the article where the writer says "Poptimism ranks quality by popularity. After all, 50m Elvis fans can't be wrong" is really poignant.

I mean, no one is essentially saying these genres are bad, but they are essentially popular simply because 'they are'. The people 'championing' them are doing just that, just saying how great it is and everyone should listen. No one seems to criticise anymore, lest of all the sacred cows of the pop world.
>>
>>72835657
I loved that bit, it's probably the best line in the article, really sells the point - rockism and poptimism have led to the same ends.
>>
>>72834401

good article, this is what I have been thinking for a while
>>
Poptimism was bound to die because it's used to push music without substance for social reasons. The only way music can be evaluated is in a Darwinian system.
>>
File: IMG_1334.jpg (111KB, 902x850px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1334.jpg
111KB, 902x850px
>>72835532
Tfw your a black man who enjoys rock and indie more than hip-hop
>>
>>72837353
wow you're such a special snowflake do you want a cookie with your reward
>>
>>72837353
There's always Living Colour and Jimi Hendrix and many other things (especially as you go back), so I reckon you're fine.
>>
>>72837416
t.projection
>>
>>72837416
I never said I was a special snowflake. It's just that people always say rock is music made by white men for white men has never made sense to me.
>>
>>72837353
Right, it's a strange assertion that assumes a lot of racial dynamics for some reason

Hell I know more white people that like Kendrick Lamar than black people. Things don't play out that simply.
>>
>>72835532
>kek when young people like jazz and rock during the boomers era.yet, millennials claim "they love all kinds of music".
>>
>>72834401
I know I know I'm gonna sound like a Le wrong generation kid , but it seriously sucks when you're not really into hip-hop and all the indie bands are too soft sounding, yet you wanna hear something rockish sounding yet modern and actually be huge.
>>
>To not care about Taylor Swift or Beyoncé or Lady Gaga or Zayn Malik is in itself questionable. It reveals not your taste in music, but your prejudices. In the worst-case scenario, you may be revealing your unconscious racism and sexism. At best, you're trolling.
>>
>>72837650
>what if I don't care for pop music :/
>>
>>72837671
Sorry bro you gotta stop trolling yourself
>>
>>72835386
>ed sheeran or the chainsmokers
who?
>>
>>72837623
>haha you born in the 90s fags are easy to spot.
>>
>>72837688
I should care?
>>
>>72837550
It sucks. I remember being in high school and dating white girls. They would always play hip-hop music just to impress me. It felt really weird and alienating especially knowing that they weren't really into that.
>>
Music journalism is so cancerous. Lets just stroke our beards and speculate the next big trend that catches on among vapid college students. Oh man i dont know what to write about so x genre is dead!
>>
>>72837782
oof yeah dude that sounds awkward as fuck

like anyone trying to show off a thing that they clearly don't like is already cringey as fuck, but to be doing it to try to gain some kinda race cred is pretty fucked
>>
>>72837694
they're both awful, but i really doubt you've never heard of either of them
>>
>>72837855
and then the reaction when they found out I listened to Radiohead, white stripes, basically any 00s indie (which was the time that I was in high school), pop, underground ish hip-hop during that time and some mainstream hip-hop but not gangster hip-hop. They got so fucking shocked it was just embarrassing to see.
>>
>rock made by black musicians
>made for 'white people'

what did they mean by this? likewise

>said genre 'is' for one 'group' only
>couldn't be made without musical and technical innovations of other groups

I really despise it when people try to segregate music, which to me, is the most universal thing in the world, next to good food and probably sex. If you like a song you like a song and that's it.
>>
>>72837914
Ed Sheeran sounds familiar but I have no idea who he is
I'm mostly into classic rock and electronic stuff and recently blues and soft jazz, and I really don't care who makes the music or when or why, I just care if it's good
>>
>>72834401
Miley Cyrus killed poptism by leaving its biggest pushers with a massive amount of egg on her face when she went back to being Hannah Montana without the alias.
>>
bump desu
>>
>>72834401
BUMP DESU BAKA SENPAI
>>
>>72840752
What the kek w-w-what the kek.
>>
>>72837353
CAUCASIAN'D
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.