[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is rap and contemporary R&B/ urban pop so damned horrid?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: 1299038451953.jpg (32KB, 560x400px) Image search: [Google]
1299038451953.jpg
32KB, 560x400px
Why is rap and contemporary R&B/ urban pop so damned horrid?

Musically speaking, even jackhammers aren't as artistically bankrupt and atonal
>>
File: d2f1a76e.jpg (207KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
d2f1a76e.jpg
207KB, 600x600px
this is now a rap/r&b thread.
what's grabbed your attention in 2017?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YpaTTk3emI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOSw2MF8uao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1J_lMSYigQ
>>
>>72819645
How do you not know that we're in a second golden age of hip-hop?
>>
>>72819645
I'd say Contemporary R&B starting from like 2004 - present is shit. Urban Pop has always shit. Hip-hop starting going to shit when it became trap/dance music.
>>
>>72819838
rap has always been dance music, since the 70s.
>>
>>72819838
Frank Ocean, the Weeknd, How to Dress Well, Jamila Woods, Janelle Monae, Jai Paul, Miguel, and The-Dream are all post-2004.
>>
File: 500x500.jpg (91KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
500x500.jpg
91KB, 500x500px
>>72819879
have you heard Electrik Red? The-Dream's girl group project.
only one album but what an album.
>>
>>72819960
No but I'm checking it out now since I love his first three albums
>>
>>72819866
I know but it was good dance music.
>>
>>72819980
How can you unironically think that today's hip-hop is worse than 70s and 80s hip-hop? The genre has evolved so much that old stuff just feels awkward
>>
>>72820008
Probably just my preference for older material probably. I mean at least you can make out what the older artists were saying, today it sounds like the artist is choking on syrup while trying to rap is hurts my fucking ears.
>>
>>72820008
70s/80s rap is great, no reason to throw one under the bus defending the other.
>>
>rockists
>>
>>72820182

maybe it's just me, but I'm not really all that interested in contemporary "rock" music as well
>>
>>72819645
i don't you know what atonal means
>>
>>72819645
Because it's made for concerts, for a bunch of apes to jump around to. It's not made to be sold on its own as quality music.
>>
>>72820942
>>>/b/
>>
>>72819866
Nah bro, some rappers like to ride unconventional beats that really aren't meant to be danced to. I see it the same way that jazz evolved into a more cerebral form of art that pandered to other musicians. Of course, you had guys like Mingus say that jazz died when they took the dance out of it, but everyone's got a different opinion.
>>
>>72819736
play me your three best hip hop songs, no joke
>>
>>72820942

I thought it was made to offend the air itself, as a passing car with its windows down ruptures the stillness of a pleasant afternoon
>>
>Musically speaking, even jackhammers aren't as artistically bankrupt and atonal
ignoring this thread this in an interesting topic on it's own. not only has recent r&b and hip hop become become more rhythmically driven (granted hip hop is normally unmelodic to begin with), but pop music in general has become less melodically driven and more percussion and rhythmically focused. a lot of choruses are mainly just one or two notes repeatedly with a vocal fill at the end of the measure. and the melodies the are exceptions to this are very child-like and like nursery rhymes. if you want to make a modern sounding song, for the most part, dumb down the melody. i saw an otherwise shit video talking about taylor swift's writing style and it mentioned how previously, a rule of thumb is that if the song wouldn't work on piano, good production can't save it. however, at the moment, it's loud borderline spastic production and rhythm over melody and harmony.
>>
>>72821107
Pick any three songs from Kendrick's last three albums. Same goes for Danny Brown and Kanye.
>>
>>72821145
Yeah thanks
>>
>>72821127

I had a chance to notice this at my town's most recent markt day, where one piece of hiphop's motif was a word or two being repeated for at least three minutes
>>
>>72821188
was this a mainstream hip hop song or some underground souncloud guy?
>>
>>72821145
>last three
cmon bro, TPAB's production is really the only proof that doesn't really take non-rap fans much effort to understand. DAMN didn't do too well with the non-fans, because all they hear is programmed instruments and think "that takes no talent" (which of course isn't the case)

I agree with hip-hop having a golden age right now just because of how popular it is, which makes it more common for really classic acts to come out of the sea of directionless hype rappers. Of course, even they're pushing the sound forward, so guys like Kendrick and Joey Bada$$ can really use it to say something that changes the culture dramatically.
>>
It's a shame how rap lyrics devolved from doing bad things because the world forces you to, to doing bad shit because it's "cool". I pray to fucking god Eminem comes out with a new album that stops this shit.
>>
>>72821362

haven't a clue
>>
>>72821458
because if it's soundcloud then that's horrifying because that means it'll be mainstream in 6 months
>>
>>72821450
This. Hip hop glorifies what it used to deplore. It used to be disgusted at people that never knew hardships, but now it's adjusted to target those very people. I can't tell you how many fucking kids I see buying shit like yeezys and expensive shit, just to try and replicate modern hip hop
>>
>>72821450

>Rap Lyrics
>devolved

It's the most simplistic genre when it comes to lyrics. Average lyrics in the last 10 years have decreased down to a 4th graders reading level. Although this is true for many genres.

>inb4 flow and cadence
>>
>>72821450
holy shit

no one take this bait
>>
File: lmfao.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
lmfao.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
WHO HYPE

Also, can anybody give me recs more like pic related? Schoolboy Q is pretty nice too. Really grimey yet refreshing and real.
>>
File: cover.jpg (260KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
260KB, 1280x1280px
>>72819645
I guess everyone forgot about this.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.