[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys like Steely Dan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7

File: aja.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
aja.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
>>
>>72813915
My dog is named after them, so yes
>>
no we dont
>>
>>72813915
yes
>>
>>72813946
yes we do
>>
>>72813946
yes we absolutely do who asked you ya pleb fuck
>>
>>72813946
Liar.
>>
love steely dan
>>
Gaucho is on par with the rest of their albums tbqh w/all of you right now
>>
>>72813924
Is your dog literally named "Steely Dan" or is he named like "Aja" or something?
>>
WHILE THE POOR PEOPLE SLEEPIN' WITH THE SHADE ON THE LIGHT
>>
Yes, most of /mu/ loves Steely Dan.
>>72814084
Gaucho's probably my favorite album by them desu.
>>
>>72814104
YA KNOW THEY DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT ANYBODY ELSE
>>
>>72813915
It's hit or miss for me. Either I really love a track or find it complete corny garbage
>>
>>72814084
gaucho is easily one of their best imo. the royal scam/aja/gaucho is a fantastic run and the height of the band imo
>>
I wonder if anyone on /mu/ had the same amazed reaction i had to Haitian Divorce when I first heard it.
>>
I do but generally speaking I never got the lyrics really
>>
>>72814123
LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES
>>
>>72814125
it will grow on and you'll love it if you take the time to get into it
>>
>>72813915
yes but not this album
>>
countdown to ecstasy is one of the best albums of all time.
>>
>>72814152
Steelydandictionary.com has a glossary of all the obscure words, people, and places talked about in their music.
>>
>>72814187
It really is.
>>
>>72814084
Why would you imply that Gaucho is their weakest album?
>>
>>72814173
THEY GOT THE HOUSE ON THE CORNER
WITH THE RUG INSIDE
THEY GOT THE BOOZE THEY NEED
ALL THAT MONEY CAN BUY
THEY GOT THE SHAPELY BODIES
THEY GOT THE STEELY DAN T-SHIRT
AND FOR THE COUP-DE-GRAS
THEY'RE OUTRAGEOUS (OH HONEY LET ME TELL YA)
>>
>>72814403
THEY GOT THE STEELY DAN T-SHIRTS

>Reeling In The Years riff plays
>>
>>72814445
Dude holy shit i never noticed that. I can't remember the exact part of reeling in the years that happens though can you tell me what time it happens?
>>
Love Steely Dan and record posted is GOAT!
>>
>>72813915
Yes, one of the most consistent discographies of all time. Would also highly recommend any of their albums for night driving by the way.
>>
>>72814864
This. Night driving to Steely Dan is one of the comfiest things ever.
>>
File: Donald_Fagen_-_The_Nightfly.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Donald_Fagen_-_The_Nightfly.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
Fuck yeah. Also Donald Fagen's solo album The Nightfly is a masterpiece. And I seem to remember that Zazu by Rosie Vela (which Becker and Fagen produced) is a pretty good pop album.
>>
>>72814974
never knew about zazu, ill have to check it out.
>>72814864
this. i've spent so many hours driving around listening to pretty much their entire discography
>>
>>72815022
I have to say, it probably isn't as good as classic Steely Dan but it's a pretty decent pop album and it's interesting to see their music work within that more populist context
>>
File: greg p.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
greg p.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
>>72815047
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBbvQ-dM7II

have you heard lazy nina? sounds like its straight off of the nightfly. outside of writing it for greg phillinganes i don't think donald fagen ever performed it or personally recorded it though. i love it.
>>
>>72815147
Those Mu Major chords have Donald Fagen all over them
>>
File: A-160906-1452080884-3924.jpeg.jpg (5KB, 300x163px) Image search: [Google]
A-160906-1452080884-3924.jpeg.jpg
5KB, 300x163px
The Royal Scam is my favorite but quite frankly all of their albums are damn good.
>>
>>72815205
AND THEY WANDERED IN FROM THE CITY OF SAINT JOHN WITHOUT A DIME!
>>
>>72815220
i was going to post how this is probably their best album closer but then i remembered josie and third world man.
>>
>>72815394
Honestly I think it is their best album closer. I never cared for Third World Man. I really, really wish that they had just taken the time to remake The Second Arrangement rather than produce that song.
>>
File: Steely_Dan-Countdown_to_Ecstacy.jpg (119KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Steely_Dan-Countdown_to_Ecstacy.jpg
119KB, 300x300px
Best steely dan incoming. finally found a copy of this on vinyl and in great condition after years of looking
>>
>>72815193
it's crazy how much mu major chords make steely dan sound so distinct.
>>
>>72813915
Yes, very much so
>>
File: Steely-Dan.jpg (37KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Steely-Dan.jpg
37KB, 600x400px
I love this picture of Fagen and Becker from the early days.
>>
>>72814147
This. I thought that was generally assumed to be their peak run
>>
>>72815147

yeah we all saw the mac demarco video asshole
>>
PUT A DOLLAR IN THE KITTY
>>
>>72816295
I'm not the bloke you're replying to and I've been listening to Steely Dan for way longer than Mac Demarco has been about but tbf to this dude that is a fair shout considering that Donald Fagen wrote it and it is a pretty decent song. I guess what I'm saying is don't be prick
>>
>>72816323
DON'T THE MOON LOOK PRETTY
TONIGHT WHEN I CHASE THE DRAGON
THE WATER MAY CHANGE TO CHERRY WINE
AND THE SILVER WILL TURN TO GOLD
TIME OUT OF MIND
>>
>>72813915
who you calling steely dan
>>
>>72816707
I ain't calling you for dinner!
>>
>>72816295
lol i gotta share it with anyone who missed it, and i've been dying to talk about it with some fellow dan fans
>>
>>72816868
what does mac DeMarco have to do with that video? someone fill me in on this
>>
>>72815487
Third World Man is excellent.
>>
They is good
>>
>>72817761
Have you ever heard The Second Arrangement?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FlQRmYaXiE
From wikia.com "In 1979, during recording sessions for their album Gaucho, the band Steely Dan had originally intended a composition known as "The Second Arrangement" to be included among the tracks. "The Second Arrangement" had been a favorite of producer Gary Katz and engineer Roger Nichols.[1]
In late December 1979, after weeks of working on a particular recording of the track, approximately 75% of the song was accidentally erased by a junior engineer who had been asked by Katz to ready the track for listening. It was Nichols who broke the bad news about the assistant's mistake to the band; when Donald Fagen was told the news, he walked out of the studio without saying a word.
There were attempts to re-record the song but none of those takes were satisfactory to core band members Walter Becker and Donald Fagen, who are both well-known perfectionists, so they abandoned the song altogether. "The Second Arrangement" was dropped in favor of a demo song they wrote called "Were You Blind that Day", which would form into "Third World Man" on the final album."
Although some say that Becker and Fagen may have made up that story to avoid having to include it on the record. Due to how great of a song it is I tend believe the first story.
>>
>>72813915
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUKCQfLY7nQ
>>
>>72813915
10/10 album
peg is GOAT tier
>>
>>72814445
>>72814496
That exact part isn't in Reelin' in the Years, but it sounds very similar, might be in the same key.
>>
>>72817860
Haven't, I'll listen to it when I get home.
>>
>>72813915
My dad's favorite band of all time.

He just saw them in Vegas on some bucket list shit so I decided to download some of their stuff.

>>72815529 this and Aja are super good. Kinda upset I overlooked them for so long.
>>
>>72814094

I met a girl named Aja
>>
>>72816898
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_WGJScwjgg

at the end of this video he recommends the song. he's been name dropping steely dan for years.
>>
>>72819494
sounds like my kind of guy
>>
>>72813915
Seriously, anyone who doesn't like Steely Dan is utterly tasteless.
>>
Never heard Steely Dan but my father likes them so I hate them.
>>
https://youtu.be/XcUtflDtfdc
Wish they fleshed this song out
>>
>>72813924
your dog is a dildo from a William Burrough's novel
>>
>>72820957
Damn that's nice.
>>
>>72820957
The entire roaring of the lamb album is a goldmine. I love "More to come" is amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-M-Z1jIEDs
I wish they had fleshed all those songs out while Fagen still had his 70's voice.
>>
>>72821060
Have you read Naked Lunch? I attempted to get into it but there was just so much jargon that didn't make sense it was just impossible to get into.
>>
>>72820957
>>72821650
oops I didn't mean to link the one with the out of place not Steely Dan instrumentals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44nO0-JPWRA
here's the actual demo
>>
>>72815487
Royal Scam has best opener and closer
>>
love them. saw them on tour with my dad last summer. 10/10 would see again.
>>
>>72821785
And neither of those are even the best song on the album.
>>
>>72821812
I saw them on tour back in 2013 with my uncle (he's probably their biggest fan he's been following them around on tour since the first album). needless to say they were amazing.
>>
>>72821846
what's your favorite track on that album? mine is probably Hatian Divorce/Don't Take Me Alive/Royal Scam
>>
>>72821885
Sign in Stranger.
>>
IIII HEARD THEM WHISPERING
III SAW THEIR EYES, THEIR CHESTS, THEIR SECRET SMILES
DANCING WILD NEW TANGOOOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaABCejUM8g
>>
>>72821885
Green earrings.
>>
We went from U2 general to Steely Dan general thank god
>>
>>72822174
steely dan threads are always the chillest on /mu/
>>
>>72822212
This is the longest Steely Dan thread I've ever seen on /mu/.
>>
>>72822414
I've seen one about this length but it was back in 2013.
I wish Steely Dan was part of /mu/ canon.
I know it was included in CLT's list of patrician music but other then that it's not a regularly posted thing. The fact that certain other bands from the same time period get more attention then them is what makes me sad. :(
I'm going to post "more steely dan" on the meta thread that's going on right now.
>>
Black Cow and Deacon Blues are my favorites. I've only listened Aja and a little bit of Pretzel Logic but I really love what I've heard.
>>
>>72822794
If you want some amazing 70's rock (specifically more rock influenced than jazz) listen to countdown to ecstacy
If you want more of the muzak-y jazz stuff I'd recommend the Royal Scam or Gaucho
>>
>>72813915
Reminder that they dropped off hard after The Royal Scam.
>>
>>72815220
GREEN EARINGS
>>
File: cover.jpg (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
1MB, 1000x1000px
>>72822977
This is the better early album. On par with Aja sans jazz. Wtf is wrong with you calling The Royal Scam muzak?

>>72823009
What a ridiculous opinion.
>>
>>72823107
sorry I actually I regretted using the term muzak after I posted that.
I meant rock with more jazzy influences.
>>
dad rock disguised as sophisticated art music
>>
>>72814094
He's named "Steely Dan" but we call him Dan.

>>72821060
Yes I'm aware of this. My family wasn't when we named him.
>>
>>72824079
That's cool that there are people out there that appreciate Steely Dan enough to name one of their pets after them.
>>
Saw them about six times in the last.

>reelin in the chips
>>
>>72813946
You're wrong. You love Steely Dan, and so do I. We all do.

Also, first album, best album.
>>
>>72821687
I've read it and I enjoyed it quite a bit just because of how utterly bizarre it is. There were some sections that were incomprehensible but a lot of it reads pretty easy once you get used to his stream of consciousness style
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.