[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/daily/ - Christopher Lee edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 84

File: 1494189099158.png (1MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1494189099158.png
1MB, 800x800px
I SHED THE BLOOD OF FOUR THOUSAND SAXON MEN

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
https://plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>/listenalong schedules
http://daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previous thread: >>72775890
>>
Spain fucking blows
>>
File: IMG_0088.jpg (46KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0088.jpg
46KB, 500x375px
Bump
>>
>>72796826
it does
where you at
>>
>>72796826
fuck spain
>>
File: IMG_7076.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7076.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>72796862
Burgos. More specifically in this shithole.

Come say hi
>>
>>72796826
el
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1043x951px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1043x951px
>>72796919
omw
>>
>>72797009
See you in a bit!
>>
>>72796919
It's about two and a half hours by bus, how long are you staying in Spain?
>>
>>72797052
I'll be in here for 2 weeks, still not sure where I'm going for the weekend. Where you at mah dude?
>>
>>72796815
It's actually a good album, not just a meme. Thanks for spreading the word.
>>
>>72797084
Madrid, somewhat in the South. I work till afternoon so if I go to Burgos it's gotta be on a weekend I don't work.
>>
>>72797197
Well my plan was to go to Madrid on the weekend anyway, so we'll see how that works out :)
>>
File: IMG_5131.gif (108KB, 271x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5131.gif
108KB, 271x400px
Got #wageslaving to do tomorrow, good night /daily/!

And remember! Haino won't just shill himself!
>>
>>72797205
o if you're coming lemme know and I'll try to show you around
there's not much to do in castilla anyways unless you want to see old castles
i think your other option is the basque country which is a little closer probably, also pretty from what I've heard but I haven't been yet
>>
>>72797234
gnight doggy, enjoy wage slavery <3
>>
>>72797251
Cool beans, I'll let you know!
>>
Ah going back to Sweden in two days, it feels unbelievable that I've spent a whole year in the shithole that Santa Fe, NM is.

Excited about 12 hours or new music on the plane. Recc me some stuff that is seminal airplane music.
>>
>>72797321
Where in Sweden do you live?

James Ferraro - Far Side Virtual :--)
>>
>>72797373
Lund!
>>
>>72797455
Tell me if you come up to the capital anytime!
>>
>>72797499
Yah, definitely, do you ever travel down or to Copenhagen even?
>>
>ywn have the stomach for neoclassical power metal
feels nu male man
>>
>>72797521
Last time was probably for Neutral Milk Hotel 2014 or whenever it was, but I definitely want to go down there again soon
>>
>>72797834
You should come down for some concert. I'd meet up with you!
>>
>>72797913
I'll tell you if something comes up!
>>
File: topsters2.png (1MB, 3075x1620px) Image search: [Google]
topsters2.png
1MB, 3075x1620px
R8 me
>>
>>72798410
wew/10
>>
>>72798410
wrong thread gaiboi
>>
>>72798410
looks like a cross of "i joined /mu/ a month ago" and "i joined /daily/ a week ago"

also buyer's market? are you some rapist/child molester or smth, i get the "importance" of it but it simply isn't an enjoyable thing to sit through unless youre sadistic or can relate to it.
>>
>>72798410
4/10

You are basically just a /mu/-drone but you seem kind of new so I forgive you a bit

Though seriously...... no dark ambient, noise, no edgy music whatever, and then Buyer's Market? It's like you went to youtube and searched "darkest album ever" just so you could add it to your chart

I think you could have potential but stop trying so much
>>
File: demon smile.png (775KB, 509x389px) Image search: [Google]
demon smile.png
775KB, 509x389px
>>72798410
ten outta ten you have itaots thats all you need
>>
>>72798410
stuff everyone seems to have strong opinions on but me cept for a few albums that i love and a meme also did you put children on there after the guy died last week pls tell me no it's a nice tune tho/10
>>
File: IMG_0085.jpg (48KB, 715x538px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0085.jpg
48KB, 715x538px
>>72798410
Heard this one?
>>
>>72796826
spain is shitty. except for the weed thing.
>>
File: hehe.png (2MB, 1732x1732px) Image search: [Google]
hehe.png
2MB, 1732x1732px
forgot about listenialong
wish i hadnt remembered
>>
File: wolf shirt.png (1MB, 1027x903px) Image search: [Google]
wolf shirt.png
1MB, 1027x903px
>>72798727
I prefer this one
>>
File: an tourney.jpg (1MB, 3136x1996px) Image search: [Google]
an tourney.jpg
1MB, 3136x1996px
>letov vs shamepai
letov brought a buncha ukrainian folk which was v cool neat aesthetic but it's quite long for something that is fairly one-note, shamepai sent albert ayler my way and this thing's better than spiritual unity and the other ayler album i've heard but idr which one that was, anyway good free jazz v solid nice piano nice drums ayler's a good boy as always. shamepai advances gimme rec + meme faglord.
>>
File: happy birthday.jpg (119KB, 484x1864px) Image search: [Google]
happy birthday.jpg
119KB, 484x1864px
i think about this image every 15th of may and it makes me cry every year
>>
File: Freeform.jpg (2MB, 1560x720px) Image search: [Google]
Freeform.jpg
2MB, 1560x720px
Death - Human
>Death Metal

This fucking rips but man I’m still not big on this sound. I’m still relatively new to metal and diving into heavier stuff may have been a mistake. But - I actually loved Symbolic so I’m not sure what was missing here.

The heaviness is apparent from the start, vocally and instrumentally - the playing just comes off as clunky to me. The drumming is off the charts and the guitar just is some of the fastest shit I've heard but it ends up sounding like a mass of noise. It’s jumpy and the switches between speedy and technical passages feel awkward. The second half of the record calms down in comparison which I liked more but this didn’t stick like Symbolic. Not sure what it is though, I’ll have to go back and compare.

I appreciate what it’s going for though.

3/5

Burzum - Filosofem
>Atmospheric Black Metal

On the other hand, I really dig this one. I’m a sucker for the more atmospheric branches of metal - probably because of how new I am to the scene. The crunchy guitar is wonderful and add kind of stinging feeling to the whole album. The scratchy vocals on side 1 compliment the sound well, blending in nicely with the guitar. It never quite feels over the top though. There’s something strangely comforting about the whole album, despite the aggressive elements thrown in the mix. Little riffs kind of bounce around in the background of songs (like on “Dunkelheit”), which add a calming vibe to the whole thing.

The best track is the 25 minute ambient piece - “Rundgang” which floats around slowly and peacefully. It sounds a lot like a Steve Roach song, with spacey electronics and repetitive loops. It has a strangely similar atmosphere as the rest of the album but the shift in genre is a nice touch. It’s probably about 5 minutes longer than it deserves to be but it’s soothing and almost meditative.

Surprisingly entertained by this one but it’s probably because I’m a total metal pleb idk.

>>
File: 1449357717253.jpg (40KB, 638x473px) Image search: [Google]
1449357717253.jpg
40KB, 638x473px
>>72799632
>person who beat me in tourney loses
best petty feel

>>72800063
don't post that

>>72800000
>>
>>72800076
I'd say Symbolic is a better album than Human, but that just might be me.
If you liked Filosofem you might like Hvis lyset tar oss, or some of his "dungeon synth" albums
Paysage d'Hiver (band) also has a nice mix of synth and black metal albums
>>
>>72799632
You're banned from Cossack heaven now.
>>
File: IMG_1679.jpg (62KB, 636x534px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1679.jpg
62KB, 636x534px
>>72800063
That is a cursed image DO NOT post
>>
My friend and I started a bet where we individually listen to 4 new albums every week. I don't know how he's looking for new music, but I'm probably going to start coming here.
>>
>>72800517
Sounds great. What do you like? Got any chart or anything?
>>
>>72800134
Good to know I'm not in the minority on that one. I've heard people disagree about the best era of Death but so far I think I lean toward the later stuff. Also thanks for the recs man, I'll check em out when I'm feeling like exploring some more metal

>>72800517
Do it! Curious to see what you'd dive into. Have a RYM you wanna share?
>>
>>72800517
givingbear started a bet where anyone who wanted to would individually listen to one an album every day, and look how that turned out
>>
>>72800563
>>72800628
I don't have any chart or anything like that. And I don't really have any specific tastes. I already like a lot of different genres. I'm using the first few weeks mainly to catch up on stuff I feel I missed.
>>72800781
H-How did it turn out?
>>
>>72800836
you're posting on it
>>
>>72800836
I'd love to hear what you have to say about the albums you listen to so write about them here when you've listened to something new.
>>
http://i.imgur.com/FCTtwuS.png

Jim Sullivan - U.F.O. (1969)
>baroque pop, singer/songwriter

Sullivan’s story might be more interesting than his actual music, half because I love unsolved mysteries, half because private press releases are always cool, but this is a rock solid album, without a doubt. Sullivan’s vocals are homely, yet down-to-earth, inviting, and really smooth. Above all, they mesh with the instrumentals perfectly. These instrumentals are very distinctly ‘60s, mixing Byrdsian jangley folk and ultra-bombastic Watertown-era Sinatra well. Sometimes too loungey, with some poor characteristics often present in private press releases, but altogether quite good.

3.0-
>>
There's this wonderful 2017 [actually my AOTY] Cello-focused album I've fallen in love with. She's currently fairly unknown but I'm sure this album can be well-known with the right exposure. Highlights [for me] are Where the Heart Grows, Ophiuchus and Pleasure Highway. There's a lot of creativity, passion and talent here that deserves attention.

Thank you Orion.

https://janelleppin.bandcamp.com/album/american-god
>>
>>72801252
thanks janelle ill check it out
>>
>>72801252
ill listen to your album soon, janelle
>>
>>72801252
>>72801394
this is pretty boring janelle
>>
File: rip my curve.png (3MB, 2661x1680px) Image search: [Google]
rip my curve.png
3MB, 2661x1680px
I expected Waltz for Debby to be just as good if not better than Sunday at the Village Vanguard, but it was less engaging than most of what I've heard from the Trio. Wonderful cover art though.

Black Woman was pretty brilliant throughout, especially tracks 1, 2, and 5, but Linda Sharrock's vocals on the final track were too much for me to the point of being grating. Good thing the musicianship more than makes up for it.

The Jazz Composer's Orchestra is not the type of free jazz I usually like at all, but the individual solos were great. Unfortunately the wailing horns in the background during said solos added nothing and the overall composition was too unfocused and wild, even for free jazz. Side C was by far my favorite.
>>
>>72802647
WHAT NEXT?????????????????????/
>>
>>72800970
Well this past week I listened to both of Death Grips' instrumental releases as that was all that was left to finish their doscography.
Then I listened to To Pimp A Butterfly because I had largely ignored rap passed 2004 (besides Death Grips and whoever Gorillaz decided to feature).
Was actually pretty impressed.
Then I had Gojira's first album, Terra Incognita. I started with their latest release, Magma, and loved it. Now, I'm going to work through their discography.

This week I think I'm going to listen to Miles Davis, likely more Gojira, and Jambinai (I heard one track from them last week and immediately fell in love with their sound). Not sure what else. There is a lot of stuff I have in mind to check out but still deciding where to start.
>>
>>72802665
compulsion!!!!!!!!
>>
>>72802815
Gojira's pretty sweet. I haven't heard all their stuff but you have yet to hear their supposed best two, both of which I've heard and are pretty good.
I still need to listen to more Miles Davis too. I'll put a bunch of his albums on my next jazz chart.

>>72802825
will do
>>
finished

woolite you were way too fucking close on your predictions

http://i.imgur.com/vJ0KaC9.jpg

Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star (1998)
>east coast hip hop, conscious hip hop, boom bap

A meeting of two of the most conscious voices in hip hop is a damn good idea, and Def and Kweli deliver. Kweli is arguably the dominant force here, but the album’s greatest moments come when him and Def trade bars with ease. They both have distinct personalities and voices, but they’re best when they work together. I feel a bit more mixed about the production. It’s solid, of course, and there are some damn fine, hard-hitting boom bap beats on here, but they try for an old-school sound here that doesn’t entirely work. I’m not sure if it’s my general distaste for old-school production or a bit of a mixed effort on Hi-Tek’s part, but some beats just don’t work. The good does 100% outweigh the bad, so I’m digging this. Might even like it more than Black on Both Sides.

3.0-

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein (2001)
>abstract hip hop, east coast hip hop, experimental hip hop, conscious hip hop

Really good, that’s no lie, but I’m not as huge on this as I thought I would be. El-P is a fantastic producer, and his production here is great, but his talents are better suited to the hard-hitting nature of Funcrusher Plus, or hell, even the Run the Jewels albums. The first half contains some absolutely phenomenal production, the beats are cold, alien, and absolutely banging, but the second half tends to drag when El-P goes for a more meditative, soundscapey vibe. The MCs are consistently great, but there’s an obvious decline in the second half that makes the whole album feel really uneven and overlong.

>>
>>72802902
I'll check Black Star out, but what would you reccomend as far as Mos Def?
>>
File: 50 Albums Chart 2.png (2MB, 3220x1850px) Image search: [Google]
50 Albums Chart 2.png
2MB, 3220x1850px
woo!!
>>
>>72802935
I've only heard black on both sides lol so I guess check that out, it's v good.
>>
>>72802940
some weird shit on here
listen to The Who Sells Out
>>
>>72802979
Sell Out*
>>
>>72802940
That Argerich recital has a really good performance of Liszt's sonata, good stuff.
>>
>>72802979
will do

>>72803004
nice, I'm really looking forward to that one.
>>
File: 1491073767620.jpg (47KB, 595x595px) Image search: [Google]
1491073767620.jpg
47KB, 595x595px
bump
>>
>>72803878
montero's pretty great.
>>
whomst ready for durnkposting: trip up edition v1
>>
>>72802902
Yeah I knew you'd like the abstract album the most lol. And Kanye doesn't seem to be 100% your style.

>>72802940
>Funkadelic
>Smile
>Lets Stay Together
>154
>Stand!

What a chart
>>
File: intermission 1.jpg (493KB, 2715x740px) Image search: [Google]
intermission 1.jpg
493KB, 2715x740px
>Graham Lambkin - Salmon Run
Not as conceptually or audibly rich as Community, but it makes up for it in its sheer ability to build an atmosphere of dread. Very effective album.

>DJ Screw - All Screwed Up, Vol. II
My first Screw adventure. This seems like something I'd love in the proper mood. For now, it's a very solid record of mixing styles i can hear all over in modern production. That Art of Noise sample was orgasmic.

>Won James Won - scrempium bfhnrendifum hum hum
Fairly directionless, still decently enjoyable.

>B L A C K I E - REMAINS
he's returning to a more hip-hop based sound on the new record, implementing a lot of pianos into his sound as well. it's got as much power as his music's ever had.

>Luxury Elite - TV Party
Standard vapor fair. I enjoyed the atmosphere of it though. Very melancholy, despite the bright samples.

>Dead Kennedies - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
Lyrically too blunt for my taste, and it can get instrumentally kinda boring, but it's a solid mindless fun record.

>Erasmo Carlos - Carlos, Erasmo...
MPB is my fetish.

>Takayanagi Masayuki New Direction for the Art - Complete "La Grima"
" As briefly summarized in the album notes the band was jeered, criticized, and had various items thrown at them while playing, and chants of "go home" erupted after they finished."
Metal as hell.

>The Caretaker - A Stairway to the Stars
Thematically not as strong as most other works from the project. It does offer a great variety unlike anything I've heard from the project. It's interesting to hear something like this at its absolute droniest.

>Prince of Denmark - 8
It takes a hell of a lot of confidence to make a beat, loop it for sometimes over ten minutes, add in maybe one or two layers on top of the original beat, and then call it a track. Every component of that loop has to be perfect on every front, or else you're left with 3 hours of nothing.
Thankfully, this album knows what it is.

we now return to our regularly scheduled programming.
>>
>>72804164
that prince of denmark score is almost TOO corredt
>>
>>72804164
>intermission chart
revolutionary

>>72803918
me
>>
>>72804190
when the FUCK are yiou gonna listne to 8
>>
>>72804164
>Make an album called 8
>It's a 9/10 album

What a hack.
>>
>>72804182
it's stupidly good.
>>72804190
take note.
>>
>>72804213
tomorrow if I get a chance
just 4u
>>
>>72804264
like how hte fuck is it so fucking exact its so exact
>>72804287
<333333
>>
>>72803946
actually, ready to die was my favorite! didn't expect that...

and I really dig MBDTF, but I'm not a huge fan of anything else.

>>72804164
"effective" is a great way to describe salmon run
>>
>>72804421
excited to look more into the guy. seems like my kinda gig.
>>
>>72804287
its like 18 years long tho i hope yoou have the time
>>
http://i.imgur.com/OihRCeK.jpg

AC/DC - Let There Be Rock (1977)
>hard rock

Perhaps my most obvious 0.5 of all time. I’ve got to admit, I really don’t hate the title track. The last minute or so actually really rocks, but that’s about the only decent minute on this whole album. The guitar parts (and especially the solos) are weak as hell, the songs all go on for /way/ too long, Scott’s still a terrible vocalist, even if Johnson amplified his awfulness tenfold, this is just not a good album.

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (2006)
>soul, rhythm & blues

The title track isn’t just a masterpiece of modern day soul music, it’s one of the finest soul/pop songs ever recorded. Winehouse could’ve easily fit in with the best soul singers of the ‘50s and ‘60s, and its her vocal performance that anchors the whole record. Every other aspect of the album is a lot more spotty, to be kind. None of the other songs, save for the sultry “Rehab”, do much to leave a mark, and the poppiness of the album often leads to sterility. Winehouse herself is super talented, so it’s a shame that everything else around her here can’t match her talent.

2.0+

The Who - The Who Sell Out (1967)
>freakbeat, pop rock, mod

The concept here is overdone to hell and back, and it’s completely worthless. A few ad spoofs here and there is nice, but every single track has to shove in a hamfisted spoof with no regard to the flow of the album or the flow of the track. Everything underneath these spoofs is pretty damn great, “Armenia City in the Sky” and the classic “I Can See for Miles”, especially. This is by far the Who’s best utilization of the psychedelic aesthetic, and it’s a shame that they never expanded upon this sound and that they don’t let the sound shine more on this record.

2.5+

>>72804428
kinda shocked you weren't already a fan desu
>>
File: 1486142249758.webm (792KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1486142249758.webm
792KB, 720x1280px
Hey guys, do you like my dog?
>>
File: AprilMay_Chores.png (1MB, 1127x840px) Image search: [Google]
AprilMay_Chores.png
1MB, 1127x840px
there ya go, let me know if you want my thoughts on any of these (you dont)
>>
>>72804782
oh wow
>>
>>72804698
The first song on Bat Outta Hell will blow your cock and balls off and you will be /daily/'s 2nd girl poster.

Other than that it's just okay.

Really surprised you haven't heard Adz yet, I think you'll like a lot of it.

>>72804782
would pet
>>
>>72804850
>2nd
Which of the two current female posters is actually female (male)?
>>
>>72804698
he was always there in the back of my mind, just never fully took the plunge until now.
>>72804782
yes
>>
>>72804870
yamir (she's cute!)
>>
>>72804850
implying I'm not already
>>
File: You_Doodle_2017-05-16T03_12_45Z.jpg (372KB, 640x527px) Image search: [Google]
You_Doodle_2017-05-16T03_12_45Z.jpg
372KB, 640x527px
Chores for June, resized
>>
File: 1472350243317.jpg (82KB, 534x423px) Image search: [Google]
1472350243317.jpg
82KB, 534x423px
>>72805027
>>
Just listened to Jambinai - A Hermitage
Korean post rock
Gotta say, that was fucking awesome.
I know I saw them posted on /mu/ (and it might have been this thread), but wherever and whoever it was, thank you, I love it.
>>
>>72804850
third
>>
File: 4.20.jpg (18KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
4.20.jpg
18KB, 250x188px
>>72805197
>>
File: 1467878755312.png (3MB, 1672x1724px) Image search: [Google]
1467878755312.png
3MB, 1672x1724px
Crying Sam Collins - Jail House Blues
>Country Blues

This is a short listen, which works in its favor. Sam has a very nice voice and his guitar playing isn't half bad either (though it is occasionally out of tune), though the actual songwriting here leaves something to be desired at parts. I'm not really the biggest blues expert here if you hadn't noticed, that's nkc's and triangle's territory.

Paul Clayton - Whaling and Sailing Songs from the Days of Moby Dick
>Sea Shanties

I like sea shanties, but this isn't really a good way to do them. It's traditional shanties set to mindless contemporary folk acoustic guitar strumming (which is so poorly mixed that you can't hear it most of the time); Clayton has a very nice voice, but that's not really enough to save it. Most good takes on shanties generally use an ensemble (there's a lot of call and response and singing along that makes the songs fun) and accordions, banjos, etc. - one voice and some underwhelming guitar playing makes it very forgettable. But perhaps I've been spoiled by listening to a decent amount of shanties live (I used to live near a relatively famous seaport) and I've personally heard solo artists do much better.

Almost done!
>>
File: topsters2-3.jpg (891KB, 3198x1780px) Image search: [Google]
topsters2-3.jpg
891KB, 3198x1780px
Big mix of various library snags, recommendations from co-workers and miscellaneous that I'll be working through in the next month or so
>>
File: 1486670177388.jpg (167KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
1486670177388.jpg
167KB, 250x350px
>>72805994
I used the line "very nice voice" twice
>>
>>72804822
Why the 2.5 for Big Star? Are you not a fan of their style in general or was it a particularly weak record for them? I personally think that's the better album I've heard by em

>>72805028
The Pere Ubu and Magazine albums are awesome, check those out first!

>>72805994
>shared chart

Wtf happened to Triangle man?
>>
http://i.imgur.com/E7mplv0.jpg

Sam & Dave - Soul Men (1967)
>southern soul, deep soul

Super middle of the road soul album, and that’s really all I’ve got to say. Both Sam & Dave have perfectly pleasant, soulful voices, the grooves are pretty nice, it’s all put together well, but it’s all done in a way that’s so.../bland/, for lack of a better word. Worth a listen.

2.5-

>>72805994
rip triangle honestly

>>72805999
damn I will be checking out that black Gospel comp
>>
File: 1482204567957.png (190KB, 1000x1399px) Image search: [Google]
1482204567957.png
190KB, 1000x1399px
>>72806087
>>72806097
He had a heart attack and died at the prospect of finding half those slav albums.
>>
>>72806087
>Big Star
Really just a grab bag of highs and lows for me. Holocaust, Thank You Friends, VU cover, a few others, wow great stuff, but some of the songs like Kangaroo and Kizza Me were just like, what are you doing guys, damn

I'm hyped about the Pere Ubu and Magazine, I've heard good things. Adverts too, really looking forward to all the punk on here actually.
>>
>>72806139
but kanga roo is the best song there
>>
File: am-i-disabled.jpg (22KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
am-i-disabled.jpg
22KB, 384x384px
>>72806174
it is?
well i've got the box set thing to listen to >>72805999, maybe it'll jump out at me there (get it, jump like a kangaroo? :D )
>>
>>72806136
I figured lmao

>>72806139
Yeah, I could see that. I personally love most of those but I've heard plenty of people who see it as a mixed bag as well. I personally think it's the atmosphere of Third that makes it so great idk
>>
File: 1484932359757.png (230KB, 288x340px) Image search: [Google]
1484932359757.png
230KB, 288x340px
>>72805999
>>
>>72806254
very psyched about that one, really enjoyed Pacific and Hosono House (but heard YMO isn't comparable? hmm)
>>
File: IMG_5651.jpg (385KB, 1358x1364px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5651.jpg
385KB, 1358x1364px
first batch of listens from the remaining mothers albums i haven't heard yet!

zappa and mothers - freak out!!!

i havent listened to any rocky rock in a long time but its good to hear such a clear sound here, with the trademark zappa weirdness hanging around in the back. love the big wild collage piece at the end and frank's very uncommon for the time lyrics are nice.

zappa and mothers - absolutely free

this is where zappa really begins to let his avant stuff free. a more experimental version of freak out, although less memorable to me. zappa's holding out. also what was with progressive 60s musicians and songs about vegetables

zappa and mothers - weasels ripped my flesh

now this is it. zappa doesn't hold back at all filling this album with crazy avant jazz, noise, and sparse random sound improv. very fun to listen to.

these "reviews" are awful desu, i had better ones written yesterday when it wasnt skin meltingly hot but fell asleep before i could save them and just spit these out now to get em out. oh well.

>>72805999
good chart
loud family, anco, big star, ja ja ja, ymo i love
>>
>>72806302
its more techno and old style synthy (while also being very futuristic and progressive at the same time if that makes sense) although just as good
>>
File: IMG_0073.png (31KB, 1000x1351px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0073.png
31KB, 1000x1351px
>mfw realize that the new Year is basically Bedhead vol.2

Good morning /daily/!
>>
Freeform.jpg
2MB, 1560x720px
Fleet Foxes - Crack Up
>Indie Folk

Okay I cracked (heh) and found the 320 leak because I couldn’t wait. I honestly went into this album with sky high expectations which is usually a mistake. I’m a huge fan of Helplessness Blues - and while it may be a cliche choice (woolite? NAH...) for a 5 star album, it just blows me away every time for some reason. Something about that album just works man.

This album, despite its moments of beauty and terrific instrumentation is just missing something I loved on their first two. Pecknold’s voice is one of my favorites in folk and he utilizes it so well. He kinda sounds like Leonard Cohen at moments, with that low, almost whispery tone on the opening “I Am All That I Need”. And he soars in that usual chambery vibe on large portions of the album.

There’s plenty of nice moments though, don’t get me wrong. The eight minute “Third of May” is phenomenal and “I Should See Memphis” is among the most gorgeous tracks they’ve produced. It’s these tracks that wind through multiple passages that are the most rewarding. It replaces that bombast and over the top feel of Helplessness Blues with hints of psychedelia that kind of ripple through the album. It’s far from stripped down but it’s certainly more subtle. Little trumpets and a whirling synth pop up for less than a minute of the title track. Nature samples on “Cassius”. And all sorts of details just bubble up throughout the whole thing.

This is great and I’m sure this will grow on me. It already kind of is the second time around but it didn’t impact me as immediately as their other releases.

3.5/5

Also saw Dogteeth this afternoon and phew oh boy it's disturbing
>>
>>72806511
morning dogo
its 12am here and i am drinking
>>
>>72806538
HOpe you have a swell time bud!
>>
>>72806489
Yeah Weasels Ripped My Flesh is fantastic man. Lots of energy all throughout, love it

>>72806529
Whooops I meant Dogtooth but whatever
>>
So I started listening to stereolab after a long break (back when's j was scaruffi droning I didn't particulately care) and it just kinda sounds like krautrockish dream pop no?

Listening to Instant 0 in the universe now. LCD Soundsystem ripped off Mass Riff for Us vs. Them lol
>>
>>72804782
Wtf I love dogs now
>>
>>72805063
That was likely me or Givingbear. Check out their first LP, Connection, I think it's even better than a Hermitage
>>
i've done four shits today and i'm aiming for a fifth. music for this

>>72805994
listen to this for some primo sea shanties
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various-artists/classic-maritime-music-from-smithsonian-folkways-recordings/
>>
File: fish vs trip 2017.jpg (1MB, 1558x2700px) Image search: [Google]
fish vs trip 2017.jpg
1MB, 1558x2700px
I just made an "onkyo" song for my digital art class lmao it's terrible. Ham Nugget would be proud.

Para quienes aún viven seemed to be your average post-rock album with a flamenco vibe to it. I kinda liked it. Especially, that 2nd to last track. More of a collection of kinda cool moments rather than anything cohesive or memorable though.

>those devils numbers
\m/
>>
I actually really like the song Aaron Ellis just posted:
https://youtu.be/WboNxCFKTxk
>>
>>72804782
haha what bug is this
>>
>>72807998
end this meme
>>
>>72808260
what meme
>>
>>72808311
big meme
>>
File: IMG_2435.jpg (29KB, 294x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2435.jpg
29KB, 294x311px
>>72808449
>>
who up clicc like

>>72808659
dap on them
>>
File: worse.png (705KB, 1601x1600px) Image search: [Google]
worse.png
705KB, 1601x1600px
progress
>>
File: Tourney V.png (4MB, 3870x3790px) Image search: [Google]
Tourney V.png
4MB, 3870x3790px
Jim O'Rourke - Fast Car (Live in Japan, 9/16/2002) (Letov)
I haven't heard the Tracy Chapman version, but this is great. It has a nice rich sound all over, both the beginning (Jim's vocals are seriously great) and the drone part. I really enjoyed it, but I guess it wasn't like an overwhelming experience or something like that.

Public Image Ltd - The Flowers Of Romance (rym robot man)
Well, it's certainly an unusual post-punk. For me the vocals though were a real flaw, they felt for me extremely ordinary for such music, like if they tried really hard to be "weird". Still, it's a great listen and would have been rated even higher if not for those damn vocals.
>>
>>72809752
but what does it mean
>>
>>72809787
it is a mystery
>>
>>72809752
cant wait to lose
>>
File: cover.jpg (148KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
148KB, 1200x1200px
ayy 4 years later it finally clicked
>>
>>72809890
fsr i get the feeling i made a post like that last year and forgot
>>
>>72809890
did you dislike it before or just indifferent?
>>
>>72810988
basically the hyperactive drumming style used on something that's supposed to be atmospheric and idk like the pacing of those tracks were kind of bothering me so i couldnt get into the vibe but it wasn't bothering me last time so that's cool too
>>
Sudan

Abdel Aziz El Mubarak - Abdel Aziz El Mubarak (1987)
>Arabic Pop

Well..... not much to say to be honest. It's Arabic Pop, not more or less (at least compared to what I've heard before). It's easy listening and happy but not much substance to remember it by.

2/5
>>
Oh, i had a really busy weekend
gonna listen to the listenalong now
>>
File: 51H5KCqrr9L.jpg (48KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
51H5KCqrr9L.jpg
48KB, 360x360px
Zanzibar

Culture Music Club - Shime! (2009)
>Taarab

Taraab is a form of popular music that combines Arab Music of Egypt, Indian Music, and local music traditions of the African great lakes.
It's a pretty nice listen with really traditional percussion which is fun to hear. The album is varied with plenty of different vocalists, both male and female, who accompany eachother in a great way.

The instrumentation is pretty minmal, most often featuring careful percussion, a bass playing a repetitive bassline, and an instrument which I am unsure about what it is, but I think it is an accordion (big idiet can't recognize the instrument, I know :( ) that plays melodies as a sort of call-and-response with the vocals.
There are lots of other instruments here too but all of them are shoved to the back of the mix and is often barely hearable, only forming a kind of carpet of sound.

It's nice but I wish there was a bit more energy in it.

3/5
>>
>>72812162
Don't do it, man
>>
>>72812249
oh shit, I meant Tanzania of course.
>>
File: IMG_4081.png (459KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4081.png
459KB, 750x1334px
Dang I don't usually get creeped out by music these broken bottles are really unsettling
>>
>>72812253
I want that sweet 100% participation
and it's not bad so far
>>
>>72812292
Lucky you, cuz it's 75 minutes of the same exact thing
>>
>>72812334
looking forward to it!
>>
>>72812369 no, stop liking it! >:0
>>
File: 1494884276002.png (2MB, 1732x1732px) Image search: [Google]
1494884276002.png
2MB, 1732x1732px
sup
>>
David Thomas Broughton vs. 7 Hertz - David Thomas Broughton vs. 7 Hertz (Terminus)
Yeah, this is amazing. Kinda has that androgynous vibe similar to Antony Hegarty, but it's just better. Involving those cool instrument females was a p good decision, though they didn't change a lot, it's p much like a good condiment here. Except "River Outlet" though. It's fucking riveting there, I love it.

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Free For All (s)
This is something of incredible quality. It wasn't a sensational experience I can relate to personally, but it would be ridiculous to ignore how good this actually is.
>>
Tourney V.png
4MB, 3870x3790px
>>72812715
pic
>>
>>72812288
*glass breaks*
>>
Tourney V.png
4MB, 3870x3790px
Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra / Vasily Petrenko / Simon Trpčeski - Piano Concertos 1 & 4; Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (Shamepai)
Look, honestly, I love Rachmaninoff, he's one of my favorite piano composers. He has all this incredibly complex stuff that's incredibly hard to perform and while I encountered performances, where this was the primary issue (like the pianist wasn't fast enough or skill was lacking, like you gotta have insane skill to play some of his stuff), this was different here. I think it performed at a decent required level, it's beautiful etc, but it just didn't click for me. It's not a very emotional performance, it's not very passionate, it's just not what I imagine when I think of Rachmaninoff. It certainly is worth an average 7 though.

So this is tricky. Shamepai's overall score allows him to pass to the finals, while Letov's doesn't. The rest is unclear though, since s and Terminus have p much the same score atm. Bot's rec wasn't like wow amazing, but he did demonstrate some good performance throughout the tourn, so I'm giving him a hint of chance. To determine who's gonna make it into the finals I need EP recs from s and Terminus, I'll also try a bot EP rec as well.
>>
File: 93 listenalong Won James Won.png (2MB, 1732x1732px) Image search: [Google]
93 listenalong Won James Won.png
2MB, 1732x1732px
>>
File: 1492735810084.png (272KB, 485x489px) Image search: [Google]
1492735810084.png
272KB, 485x489px
more like lost james lost
>>
>>72813475
heck dude how will he ever recover
>>
>>72813266
hahahahahahhhhahahahhaha what the fuck is going on
John Fahey - Vol 4: The Great San Bernardino Birthday Party and Other Excursions
>>
>>72813475
Wow i hate icewiz now!
>>
File: 1485954064680.jpg (136KB, 639x843px) Image search: [Google]
1485954064680.jpg
136KB, 639x843px
Heya /daily/ qts!

Listening to https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/saagara/2/ and it makes me think of what would happen if Henry Flynt's You Are My Everlovin got a more energetic twist to it. I don't know why but it reminds me of Jim O'Rourke for some reason too.

New Loke Rahbek is available on bandcamp if anyone is interested b t w.
>>
>>72813835
>and it makes me think of what would happen if Henry Flynt's You Are My Everlovin got a more energetic twist to it.
this better be true because that sounds awesome
>>
>>72814193
It has more doot doots than violin, but the string parts remind me of Henry Flynt for sure
>>
File: nichijou2.png (116KB, 295x306px) Image search: [Google]
nichijou2.png
116KB, 295x306px
>>72785985
>I highly rec you look into more of Fahey's studio stuff. Specifically Fare Foreward Voyagers and America.
>Fahey
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh sorry not patrician enough to like him
>>72798410
basic, but the good side of basic (mostly)
>>
File: 1494954150407.png (2MB, 1732x1732px) Image search: [Google]
1494954150407.png
2MB, 1732x1732px
Glad to see these are getting filled out nicely
>>
File: 1485309867064.png (8KB, 333x359px) Image search: [Google]
1485309867064.png
8KB, 333x359px
>>72813266
>Lost by half a point

I hope the robot wins.
>>
>>72814429
>half a point
Not really though, I have a quite specific calculating system and your overall score 0.2 points behind s and Terminus, which is like an average distance considering the competition.
>>
>Friend argues white people making rap is cultural appropriation
thoughts?
>>
File: 1480239051503.jpg (20KB, 539x533px) Image search: [Google]
1480239051503.jpg
20KB, 539x533px
>>72814581
>cultural appropriation
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not worth arguing with someone that braindead
>>
>>72814581
Cultural appropriation is a non-issue invented by lanky, dye-haired white women.
t. Mexican.
>>
Tried to write a legitimate review, how'd I do friends?

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/luciano-cilio/dialoghi-del-presente-1/
>>
File: 1487942382449.jpg (11KB, 318x313px) Image search: [Google]
1487942382449.jpg
11KB, 318x313px
>>72814477
That's even worse.
>>
>>72814228
sounds good, i'll probably get round to it sometime, don't think I've ever even heard of Carnatic Classical

>>72814581
this argument is really boring, it's not a thing
>>
>>72814581
White people are shit at rap anyways so who even cares. That's the best part of cultural appropriation, the appropriator is generally the sucks.
>>
>>72814672
>White people are shit at rap anyways
I mean ok it's black culture but if you say that Beastie Boys are shit...
>>
>>72814477
Also, you should use the Latest recommendations option next time you use the robot, it gives you more obscure and interesting things as opposed to whatever famous albums you have yet to rate
>>
>>72814746
They're Stetsasonic tier.
>>
>>72814787
I never heard Stetsasonic so I don't know if your comparison is positive or what but they seem to be important for the genre so nice.

Also I should check them out probably.
>>
>>72814746
also one of their members is tangentially responsible for "I'm With Her" so Beastie Boys lose basically all of their credibility for that.

RIP in peace.
>>
>>72814581
lmao dumb on a million levels. I've thought this through actually since I have a guy I know that thinks similarly.

First of all, "rap"? So is white people making Hip-Hop in general okay ex: Endtroducing, SILY? Even if you don't like those, it's unavoidable that white people have made significant contributions to the genre. What about Eminem? Vanilla Ice? (bad, yes, but undeniably influential.) What about the countless amount of white producers/engineers/operations people involved with making rap albums? Are they racist too? Is it okay when Asian people make Hip Hop? Is Nujabes racist? Every instrumental """lo-fi"""" hip hop soundcloud artist today copped his style, so I guess not.

Second, if white people were only left with genres that were "white" we wouldn't be able to make blues, jazz, hip hop, and ROCK, most importantly. Can't wait to live in a world where I basically can only make western folk/classical music. Musically segregating the world would effectively cause most modern music to not exist. Also, arguing that white people making hip-hop is the greatest cultural injustice done in music history is a pretty shallow, musically-ignorant line of thinking.

Third...it's just...dumb, dude. It's pretty obvious virtue signaling and really not thought out on any logical level, and the only people that care about it obviously aren't musicians.

As a guy that's probably comparably pretty SJW the left is fucking stupid pretty often.
>>
>>72814581
Show them this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL4nHYFZoGs
>>
>>72814865
>virtue signaling
pretty much the only time this stupid fucking phrase is actually applicable
>>
File: 1469498307338.png (615B, 119x38px) Image search: [Google]
1469498307338.png
615B, 119x38px
Oh boy!
>>
>>72814865
>Is Nujabes racist?
no, he's dead.

;_;
>>
>>72814905
A totally sane, pretty perfect view on this imo

>>72814948
lmao I almost omitted it because I hate using that phrase just as much, but I really thought it was appropriate here.
>>
>>72815050
;____________________;
>>
Whites making hip hop music is diaspora.

Whites making rap is appropriation.

Social issues are easy.
>>
>>72814581
People seem to be more concerned about whether something is culturally appropriated than (more appropriately IMO) whether cultural appropriation is inherently immoral, has differing degrees, etc. Here's your (you).
>>
>>72814581
Yeah sure but then basically everything in American music is appropriative too. Except maybe pop? Idk if there's been any genre that doesn't borrow heavily from another culture at some point or another.

>>72814630
This fucking pic makes me crack up every time

>>72814787
>Setsasonic tier
>Forgetting Paul's Boutique is one of the most important albums in hip-hop
>It literally changed sampling laws and procedures
>>
>>72815101
>Setsasonic tier
>Forgetting Paul's Boutique is one of the most important albums in hip-hop
>It literally changed sampling laws and procedures

>Influential = good
heh

Paul's boutique only made waves in hip hop, which was about 20-30 years behind the rest of music in regards to multi-layer sampling.

Brian Eno & Robert Fripp say hello, just in terms of popular stuff.
>>
File: Cahill.jpg (8KB, 225x310px) Image search: [Google]
Cahill.jpg
8KB, 225x310px
>>72815150
>Paul's boutique only made waves in hip hop, which was about 20-30 years behind the rest of music in regards to multi-layer sampling.

>Brian Eno & Robert Fripp say hello, just in terms of popular stuff.

Thaddeus Cahill says hello from the 1800s
>>
>>72815181
>Thaddeus Cahill says hello from the 1800s
Hi Thaddeus! Hope you're doing well : )
>>
>>72815085
Curious, do you think then that white people making rock is cultural appropriation? Is Ringo racist? I need to know this.
>>
>>72815213
>white people making rock is cultural appropriation?
The Beatles invented rock tho. How could we appropriate ourselves?

>Is Ringo racist?
Yes.

>I need to know this.
See above.
>>
>>72815213
i met him last week he called me a niggerkike and spit on my shirt
>>
>>72815150
Well it's easy to be 20-30 years behind when the genre had barely been around for 10. Would you say rock was caught up to jazz within 10 years of its creation? I dunno man

Anyway, I wouldn't say the Beastie Boys are necessarily that good especially by modern standards but putting them on the same plane as a novelty group seems a little harsh
>>
File: gay communist gun club.jpg (38KB, 480x322px) Image search: [Google]
gay communist gun club.jpg
38KB, 480x322px
>>72814905
contrapoints good
>>
File: 94879314.jpg (2MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
94879314.jpg
2MB, 3000x2000px
>>72815267
>The Beatles invented rock tho.
i know you're memeing but you're really fucking me up here

just like all the other posts
>>
>>72814581
Better question: is Remain in Light cultural appropriation?
>>
imagine... no ugly mane :o
>>
>>72815530
:0
>>
File: x76.jpg.pagespeed.ic.3X8tYyOv-C.jpg (33KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
x76.jpg.pagespeed.ic.3X8tYyOv-C.jpg
33KB, 400x400px
Kenya

Ayub Ogada - En Mana Kuoyo (1992)
>East African Music

This album is peak relaxedness.The whole album is just one dude singing with a great soft voice while plucking away on an acoustic guitar (maybe it's something else? like a smaller guitar-type instrument?) with occasional soft background vocals and very quiet tambourines.

The reviewers on RYM seem to have come to the conclusion that this guy sounds like an "African Nick Drake", and that's actually not a terrible description. He's softer than Nick Drake though.

It sucks that I can't understand the lyrics, because this music would be alot better if I understood what he sang (it feels like).

3/5
>>
>>72815642
I also want to say that the production is great and everything, the only thing holding this back is my lack of understanding the lyrics and that the album is a bit repetitive. But so is Nick Drake, so if you like him you might like this.
>>
>>72815085
Appropriation is fun tho. Myspace appropriating hardcore made for the best music maybe ever
>>
>>72814581
Culture is for ________
Right, appropriating! Nothing else.
>>
>>72815530
:u
>>
>>72815848
>Culture has a purpose
>>
>>72815870
>culture is a thing that exists
>>
File: Spooooky.jpg (10KB, 200x237px) Image search: [Google]
Spooooky.jpg
10KB, 200x237px
>>72815898
>culture
>>
>>72815948
>ture
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG700BojpH0
this is a real good song
>>
File: -_-.png (323KB, 491x483px) Image search: [Google]
-_-.png
323KB, 491x483px
>there are people in this thread RIGHT NOW that oppose marxism
>>
>>72796815
Listened to the Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy today, didn't really know what to expect though assumed to a lesser degree that it would be proto-MBV or something or the sort, instead its kinda like Deerhunter (or at least it seems to be for the three listens through I've had of it thus far). Going to finally listen to A Love Supreme on my daily commute tomorrow, can't wait though I feel like I'm violating some moral framework by listening to it so hastily. Also tried this metal band Summoner who released Beyond the Realm of Light (someone shilled it in a thread and the album cover looked nice), was pretty enjoyable though the mix was quiet as heck, had to turn it up pretty high.

Feel free to bully me as you will, I'm pretty pleb and can only play the clarinet to a basic level.
>>
I missed Eurovision Song Contest this year due to attending a banquet, kinda shitty. Was there anything good? I viewed a few clips only, don't really know if I'll watch the entire thing.

>>72816686
This is literally the worst meme.
>>
>>72816763
I missed it too, but from what I've heard there wasn't anything particularly interesting except for the Australian dude mooning the audience
And our song sucked balls as usual

Also you are literally the worst meme
>>
>>72816849
I am not a meme and who are you?
>>
>>72816862
just some trip
>>
>>72816763
how do you feel about chicken mcnuggets
>>
>>72816930
I had a 20 pack for dinner on the airport the other day. They're passable.

Home made fried chicken is much better though.

Yes, I'm aware of the mcnugget hampus poster, I do use the archive to search my name every now and then you know
>>
>>72816862
Hampus is not a meme.

Hampus is not a meme is a meme.

Hampus is not a meme is a meme is not a meme.

etc.
>>
>>72816740
Man, I'm jealous. Lots of great music left to discover dude. Diving right into Love Supreme after only hearing Scenery is a bit bold but I say go for it

You gonna be positing your thoughts/progress on here?
>>
File: file.png (352KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
352KB, 640x360px
>>72816966
I haven't seen "this" in a long time
>>
>>72816980
>Diving right into Love Supreme after only hearing Scenery is a bit bold but I say go for it
lol why? Music isn't a fucking video game where you level up, anyone can enjoy A Love Supreme.
>>
File: feels guy.png (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
feels guy.png
4KB, 225x225px
>>72816991
Yeah.
>>
>>72816980
Pretty much, I wasn't intending on it initially though I've been going through the chart quicker than I thought I would, I've got a CD of Herbie Hancock's Headhunters that I haven't listened to if that'd be better than diving straight into Coltrane. Probably post about anything new that I've listened to, was supposed to get through my backlog though there are too many releases atm so I'm just going ballistic on it.
>>
Tourney V.png
4MB, 3870x3790px
Krzysztof Komeda - Cul-de-sac (s)
The problem I am kinda having with a lot of jazz (I know that's not really the issue here, since it's not particularly that much of jazz honestly) is even though I appreciate its significance and quality, it doesn't have a lot of personal appeal to me. Like, not all of it, some I can "feel" quite great, but like a great chunk of it. This is an enjoyable piece of music, it's nice and smooth, you can just sit back and listen to it on repeat for a shit ton amount of time, it's universal as well, but I still struggle to find direct emotional response to this within myself. I know it's an EP, it shouldn't be long, but one of the minor flaws for me was also the fact I am not able to experience this more fully, like I know it's not required for an EP to be a full musical experience, but like Idk that would be nice.

My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realize (rym robot man)
First thought I had about vocals is that they are very appropriate. They communicate well with the music too. And yea this music fine. This sound is like unique as hell, it's experimental and pleasant. Even though almost every track seemed quite valuable for me, so far I'm way more into the closing part.

Stereolab & Nurse With Wound - Simple Headphone Mind (Terminus)
It's like Stereolab but weirder. I like it.

Terminus, rec again, you up against bot one more time.

>>72814778
Hm thanks didn't know that

>>72816849
It was actually a meme ukrainian weirdo who likes to fucking bury his face in celebrities' dicks or something like that
>>
>>72817032
Yeah I agree - not saying you have to work your way up to A Love Supreme. I just found myself appreciating it more as I heard more jazz along the way. Figured it was a polite suggestion idk

>>72817064
Sweet dude, glad to hear it. Definitely feel free to join in and post your thoughts
>>
>>72817102
>It was actually a meme ukrainian weirdo who likes to fucking bury his face in celebrities' dicks or something like that

Damn, haven't really read about it
>>
>>72817032
t. level 7 jazzpleb
>>
>>72816740
listen to sing to god, remain in light, eureka, fear of music, song cycle, rumours, flood, tired sounds of, not available, beat happening, replica, music for airports, dataplex, brilliant corners, the koln concert, ask the ages, machine gun, he ry cow, fare forward voyagers, hounds of love, and cocteau soon!!!
>>
>>72817403
>machine gun
ok definitely listen to other jazz before this one though lol
>>
File: 1478652787078.gif (504KB, 584x459px) Image search: [Google]
1478652787078.gif
504KB, 584x459px
>>72817111
>>72817403
>>72817547
Funnily enough I've listened to the first 15~ minutes of Machine Gun months ago, though only as a one-off, similar things occurred with Remain in Life and so I don't count that. They Might Be Giants will probably be one of the last bands (at least in that section) that I'll listen to, largely since I prefer to go through the discographies of the bands on the chart and their's confuses me a fair bit (with all the children's albums). Nearly bought one of the Cocteau Twin's albums earlier (Treasure if I recall?) though didn't in favour of getting Psychocandy and The Idiot (like getting physical copies sometimes).

Couldn't get a download for He Ry Cow unfortunately so it may be a while before I consider it, likely a while for the other albums you mentioned. The artists I'll likely get to soon (given that I've either downloaded their albums giving greater incentive to listen to them or feel like its "the right time") are;
>Fishmans (keep debating whether to play Long Season each night).
>Swans (want to get into no-wave prior though its been getting more and more tempting, been partially using the post-punk flowchart so I want to ride it there, you know?).
Also got Dr. Octogonecologyst though I'm not really big on hip-hop, don't know if I'll like it or not so I'll probably hold off for now.

Oh, forgot to mention that I tried Burial's two albums (need to listen to them more though before I properly evaluate them), really find it hard to believe that's what dubstep really sounds like (coming from someone who's prior exposure to the sub-genre was Skrillex), really like the glitchier samples on it and the odd beats.

Thanks for all the recs by the way.
>>
>>72817840
henry cow is on youtube and it's an incredible listen, but i would wait to listen to it anyway.

i can see why jazz intimidates u now that u say that about machine gun lmao
>>
>>72817840
its actually Henry Cow, i just mistyped haha
they're a very good Rock In Opposition band and i would definitely recommend reading about the whole RIO scene
>>
>>72817926
>>72817960
I'll make sure to read a bit on the scene before I go into it, though again it'll be a long time before I try Henry Cow (and probably start with Legend when I do eventually get 'round to it). Yeah Machine Gun was pretty odd, to be fair I had some fun listening to it for ten minutes or so though I couldn't imagine a whole 30mins-1 hour of it being too enjoyable (though at least its not Pulse Demon I suppose).
>>
o nvm it is!
>>
>>72817840
Most jazz doesn't come off as that intimidating t b h. So don't stress about that jazz section, there's a nice variety.

Also Dr Octogonecologyst is a good intro to hip-hop if you want something strange. A lot of people find the lyrics of modern stuff harsh and the beats of older classics to be really dated so it's hard to find a middle ground to get started. DOOM, Kool Keith and that whole abstract sound seem to reach that middle ground for a lot of people for some reason. But there's plenty of variety in hip-hop in general imo.
>>
http://i.imgur.com/k8t02eS.png

Johnny Burnette & The Rock 'n Roll Trio - Johnny Burnette and the Rock 'n Roll Trio (1956)
>rockabilly

First couple of tracks are straight flames, urgent, rollicking rockabilly at it’s most idiosyncratic. Burnette’s vocals are super passionate, the bass work is exquisite, and every track has an incredibly contagious energy. After the first four tracks, barring “The Train Kept A Rolling”, the quality drops. The focus on ballads kills the energy and flow of the album, and the rockabilly tracks don’t feel as fresh and original. Has some absolutely classic tracks, but it’s also got way too many that don’t stack up.

2.5+
>>
>>72819299
fucking love Burnette. He has a few stinkers but the tracks like Lonesome Train are excellent. Train Kept a Rollin is wild as well, ahead of it's time.
>>
File: 1466489402901.jpg (142KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1466489402901.jpg
142KB, 500x500px
The Modern Dance is great and all, but why does this album not get as much attention when it invented both dub and house music?
>>
>>72819430
it also invented housing! we'd probably still be living in huts if it weren't for this album
>>
>>72819430
uwu
>>
http://i.imgur.com/FPpwpj9.jpg

The Police - Outlandos d'Amour (1978)
>new wave, pop rock

The band’s reggae shtick desperately needs to be dropped, because once that whole failed attempt is taken out of the picture you’re left with a pretty solid, ultra-tight new wave album. Sting’s vocals kinda grate, as do the repetitive song structures, but it’s hard to deny the songwriting chops these guys have. “Roxanne” and “Can’t Stand Losing You” are damn fine pop tunes, and the krautrocky groove of closer “Masoko Tanga” is great. The songwriting is admittedly insanely repetitive, though, so at its core this album is basically a display of the band’s instrumental prowess. Copeland is one of the best drummers alive, Sting’s basslines are funky as hell, and Summers’ low-key guitar work provides the base for the rest of the album to build off. Check this out if you’re into Talking Heads and want that but worse, basically.

Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis (1969)
>pop soul, blue-eyed soul

Blue-eyed soul is always a really iffy genre, because so many albums in the genre fail to have even the slightest modicum of soul in them. This bucks that trend, because Springfield /oozes/ soul. On the album’s most famous track, the Pulp Fiction-featured “Son of a Preacher Man” (one of my least-favorites here, actually), every line sung packs a major punch, even if the instrumental backings might sometimes falter. While I might not be too in to the more rhythm & blues influenced tracks, the tracks indebted more to baroque pop are fucking incredible. Springfield has a perfect, bombastic voice for the style, and the arrangements are great. Another one of those classic albums I shouldn’t have slept on.

>>72819373
def the best track, the guitar is wild.
>>
File: bush on a hike.jpg (132KB, 591x563px) Image search: [Google]
bush on a hike.jpg
132KB, 591x563px
If RYM informs me that you just wrote 2+ reviews I will not be reading any of them thanks have a good day
>>
>>72820212
>bush on a hike
Why is bush hanging out with obama? Shouldn't he be hanging out with more dignified shrubbery?
>>
File: Lulu.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Lulu.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
has there ever been a more misunderstood album? it's lou reed's blackstar. if you go in without the mindset of expecting a lou reed or metallica style album it'd be a lot more enjoyable, if not at least less infuriating for everyone.

>>72820212
wheres the button to stop getting notifications of my friends reviewing albums i have literally never clicked on a review that showed up there
>>
Idea: Have members of /daily/ take a political allignment chart quizes and plot users on one chart.

Thoughts?
>>
>>72820242
bush and oboman are working out their differences over an ice cold bepis as all good men should

>>72816930
>>72816962
***MAC nugget

>>72820354
in acct settings I forget where

>>72820364
sounds like a terrible Idea I'd be down
>>
File: saxy..........jpg (137KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
saxy..........jpg
137KB, 640x640px
>>72820364
>Thoughts?
about once a week some random poster comes and posts a link to some political quiz and derails the thread into everyone comparing their results and arguing over dumb shit

im sure other people would want to do it but i dont see the point of it
>>
>>72820364
sounds fun.
>>72820395
i took that femenism quiz for shits and giggles. didn't know it was part of a trend.
>>
>>72820354
also, lulu is like lvl 1 "misunderstood album". I remember there used to be a new thread every day talking about how "misunderstood" it was every day when I used to actually use the catalog

>>72820395
>im sure other people would want to do it but i dont see the point of it
so we can scream at each other
>>
File: 1480106583631.jpg (93KB, 620x670px) Image search: [Google]
1480106583631.jpg
93KB, 620x670px
>>72820354
>it's lou reed's blackstar.
>>
File: The Ark Work 1.jpg (88KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
The Ark Work 1.jpg
88KB, 600x600px
>>72820449
i dont browse /mu/ so i wouldnt know, understandable
i'll jump to lvl 2 misunderstood albums

>so we can scream at each other
ok lets do this
>>
File: he.jpg (89KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
he.jpg
89KB, 540x540px
>>72820465
lmao this is always hilarious to me

>>72820522
level 3 misunderstood albums
>>
File: Grosse_Fuge_Manuscript.jpg (90KB, 562x450px) Image search: [Google]
Grosse_Fuge_Manuscript.jpg
90KB, 562x450px
>People fuckin' around with all these amateur hour "misunderstood" albums
plz, plebs. Step aside.
>>
File: mullvad more like mullBAD.jpg (108KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mullvad more like mullBAD.jpg
108KB, 1200x1200px
>>72820543
level 4
try to keep up

>>72820465
am i not the first person to say this
i was proud of this thought
>>
File: despair but also an erection.png (34KB, 201x160px) Image search: [Google]
despair but also an erection.png
34KB, 201x160px
>>72820576
>am i not the first person to say this
>i was proud of this thought
Never heard it sad before, so I'll give it to you actually.

Also,
>it's lou reed's blackstar.
pic related
>>
who in /daily/ has the gay
>>
>>72820684
all
>>
File: chart.jpg (34KB, 480x400px) Image search: [Google]
chart.jpg
34KB, 480x400px
>>72820364
here's me
>>
>>72820684
Gayminus
Gaywander
Gayne
Gaytov
Gaypai
jimmy jizz
I'M HOMOSEXUAL
Jorts
Supergay
ricebeansandgay
sshx (stands for super steamy homo xperience)
good friend with benefits rodriguez
dick up
GayBoy
gaykingcole
homosexual black god (how can white boys even compete?)
gaynine
comosexual
ImposterHeterosexual
precum-feelist
spermelade
talking gay bob
? (stands for questioning sexuality)
Misha the Homoerotic
herb kid (more like faggot)
>>
>>72820904
>Jorts
wew
>>
File: clap.gif (2MB, 219x186px) Image search: [Google]
clap.gif
2MB, 219x186px
>>72820904
>dick up
>precum-feelist
>>
File: heppy riche.jpg (40KB, 500x392px) Image search: [Google]
heppy riche.jpg
40KB, 500x392px
>>72820904
>precum-feelist
>spermelade
i liked these

>jimmy jizz
but we already call him this
>>
>>72820364
It'd be like 80% of us in the same quadrant based on previous threads

>>72820904
>I'M HOMOSEXUAL
>herb kid (more like faggot)

Idk why, these made me crack up
>>
>>72821076
>you will never make shitty b movies and get laughed at by dudes on the internet
>you will never then get invited to their studio to watch shirtless men run around a forest in what is 70 minutes of blatant fetish porn
>>
File: 1477767266185.png (56KB, 491x585px) Image search: [Google]
1477767266185.png
56KB, 491x585px
>>72820904
>super steamy homo xperience
>>
>>72820904
>spermelade
>I'M HOMOSEXUAL
heh

>no yamir
guess im not gay :)
>>
>>72821162
bumir
>>
>>72821162
>guess im not gay :)
sucks to be you
>>
>>72821162
yagmir
remove the r and type it backwards ;)
>>
Freeform.jpg
2MB, 1560x720px
Shabaka and the Ancestors - Wisdom of Elders
>Spiritual Jazz

Nice spiritual stuff, with a bit of an afro-jazz flair. Reminded me of Batsumi, with mellow vibes and tight sax playing. There’s also some similar vocals, with a little bit of a chanting thing going on. A bit on the wandering side though, with some tracks going on a few minutes longer than they deserved to - the 13 minute opener being a prime example. And the whole album is almost 80 minutes, which could’ve easily been reduced. Anyway, the album can’t quite decide if it’s gonna be straight up smooth, contemporary or old school spiritual which I found made it a weird experience. A lot of albums can wind through different styles but this for some reason felt like it was having an identity crisis. The last three or four tracks on here are fantastic though, with everything I was hoping for out of the label “spiritual jazz”.

Lot of cool ideas for a modern jazz album (2016) but it’s kind of scatterbrained.

3/5

Wes Montgomery - Down Here on the Ground
>Soul Jazz

So I randomly picked this one up on vinyl a few weeks ago since I’ve been a fan of Montgomery’s stuff so far. Finally had time to give it a spin tonight. Pretty solid session from his early CTI career, with Hancock on piano and Hubert Laws on the flute. According to what I’ve heard/read, it seems like CTI kind of kicked off the smooth jazz movement. No idea if that’s true but based on this and the later Hubbard I’ve heard, it seems to be fairly accurate. There’s strings and light guitar playing, plenty of flute and all sorts of corny elements. It actually works fairly well though, with the strings staying pretty subtle on a fair amount of the tracks.

None of the tracks stand out much but Montgomery and Hancock are pretty solid on here. Plus “When I Look In Your Eyes” is a beautiful classical piece shoved in the middle of this, with nice violin passages and all.

Okay stuff with some great moments throughout.

>>
>>72821162
rimmir
>>
>>72821162
im not a gayboi either;)
>>
>>72821162
rimya
>>
so when i say something is trashy but isn't trashy enough to be enjoyable on a purely mindless level? lil yachty is the level of trashy i'm talking about.
>>
>>72820364
i'll participate
>>
>>72820364
sure
>>
ya boi baked but not gay
>>
>>72820904
feels got to not be part of the gay club
>>
>>72822353
Boyzoi
>>
>>72822341
Nah u baked and gay
>>
File: BreeBorm.png (2MB, 2540x1340px) Image search: [Google]
BreeBorm.png
2MB, 2540x1340px
i gotta stop listening to music i like baka
>Jeromes Dream - Seeing Means More Than Safety
listened to this on a whim before i went out somewhere, it was pretty solid. the screams were nice, and i liked the overall noisiness of it, but it left a lot to be desired from me. this is technically my first screamo release, so its probably not the best starter.
3.0-

>Ensemble Pittoresque - For This Is Past
ever-so-quirky minimal synth. my friend described this to me as the joy division of minimal synth, and i definitely can see where hes coming from. this had a heavy post-punk feeling throughout. it was real fun tho

>Animal Collective - Hollindagain
dare i say it, this may be the prettiest and most captivating anco release, second to STGSTV. the noise is implemented so nicely throughout, and although a lot of it is slow, it doesnt feel that way. the parts where it picks up rock hard. this is a real underrated anco release.
4.0-

>MIMEO & John Tilbury - The Hands of Caravaggio
figured id give this a try since its tilbury and i loved duos for doris, and what can i say? tilbury did it again. first thing i noticed is mimeo is packed with big names: keith rowe, kevin drumm, jerome noetinger to name just a few. second thing to note is that this is loosely based on the caravaggio piece "the taking of christ." that being said, this is more really dark eai, but its AMM levels of dense and chaotic. theres so much going on here that its blissful: so many different sounds and noises flying over each other. its full of energy, and really kept my attention well. i thought it represented the piece nicely, too.
im probably gonna make either an eai chart or a tilbury chart in the near future cuz im loving this shit
>>
Freeform.jpg
2MB, 1560x720px
I suck at writing about metal, sorry

Ulver - Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler
>Atmospheric Black Metal

Oh shit, this is tight. One of the cooler metal albums I’ve managed to find, with an eerie folky atmosphere throughout. It starts of super mellow, with the opening cut, “Capitel I” sounding more like a folk track than anything. It’s still a bit eerie, with the vocals kind of echoing in the background. The album moves on to harsher passages - with the intro of “Capitel II” in particular really taking me off guard. There’s shrieking vocals and heavy guitar riffs, with lots of thrash influence during sections. Most of the tracks wind along for about 6 or 7 minutes, switching between the punkier, thrashier sections and more mellow atmospheric stuff. I prefered those moody little riffs but man the thrash influence hits hard. I’m assuming the heavier sections are more along the lines of most black metal but I appreciated the variety on this. Nice for a beginner.

Might be a cliche thing to say but this album, especially the folk passages, made me think I’m out in some creepy ass forest. And that sample in the middle of “Capitel III”, with the piano playing in the background? Solidifies the whole atmosphere, it’s just terrific. I couldn’t help but nod along to some of the drumming too, it’s definitely impressive. And the constant switching in styles was surprisingly effective, let me put my guard down before diving into something tougher.

The vocals were still a little jarring to me but I gotta say, it’s a style that’s slowly growing on me. In this context, it doesn’t feel harsh for the most part (like on Burzum) so I think it was a good intro to this style.

3.5/5
>>
File: Captcha.png (235KB, 403x586px) Image search: [Google]
Captcha.png
235KB, 403x586px
Also wtf captcha really
>>
>>72823333
damn what a waste of quads >:|
>>
File: 012932357.jpg (124KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
012932357.jpg
124KB, 620x413px
>>72820904
this is a good post

>>72820364
it better be a different quiz from the normal /mu/ threads

>>72820354
I read people's reviews :(
>>
http://i.imgur.com/1FNY9CI.jpg

Cheap Trick - Cheap Trick (1977)
>hard rock, power pop

The a-side is a solid collection of hard rock tunes, but the b-side’s softer, more power pop-focused lens isn’t done well. “He’s a Whore” is the album’s shining moment, a raucous, driving hard rock track with subversive lyrics and a goddamn /killer/ hook, and the rest of the a-side mostly stays on par quality-wise. “Taxman, Mr. Thief”’s Beatles homage is the one track worth saving on the b-side, it’s a catchy, infectious track in a sea of uncharacteristically tuneless, flaccid misfires.

2.5+

Alice Cooper - Love It to Death (1971)
>hard rock, glam rock

Cooper’s shocking, entertaining persona sure doesn’t make for very good music. “I’m Eighteen” is a great cut, and the vocals are quite great throughout, but this whole thing is just-pseudo glammy, generic hard rock at its worst. “Black Juju” is decently cool, but in its nine minutes it does absolutely nothing of note, besides thoroughly plagiarize “The End”. Gotta give Cooper and co. credit for revolutionarizing shock rock, but the music does absolutely nothing for me.

Black Devil - Disco Club (1978)
>space disco, electro-disco

Sparse, spooky, brutally minimalistic disco, and it’s just as cool as it sounds. I can’t deny that every track sounds pretty much exactly the same, but having the album clock in at a cool thirty minutes was a wise choice, as it never seems repetitive, just hypnotic and groovy. I’ve never heard a disco record sound so sinister yet still possess all the typical danceable, fun qualities of disco, and that alone is enough for me to dig this.

3.0-
>>
File: fish vs trip 2017.jpg (1MB, 1558x2700px) Image search: [Google]
fish vs trip 2017.jpg
1MB, 1558x2700px
While I've never been a huge fan of Alt R&B in the slightest, Process is probably some of the better stuff I've heard from the genre. I quite liked the first two songs in particular, but after that it fell off pretty hard.

Gee, y'all gave some shit recs btw.
>>
>>72824897
can u post the whole list of albums again i lost mine
>>
>>72825020
I'll find it one sec

Next album is 2 by Saagara
>>
>>72825035
ty ty
>>
>>72825183
Full list of remaining albums:

Saagara - 2
Endon - Through The Mirror
Dedekind Cut - The Expanding Domain
Nathan Fake - Providence
Idles - Brutalism

Pile - A Hairshirt of Purpose
Decibelles - TIGHT
Handless Man - Three Years Floating: Recordings '14 - '17
Miss Miracle - Walk On, War
Dogwander - The Exalted Garden

Dasychira - Immolated EP
Fuuka ASMR - NXCXTC
emamouse - Build a parallax
Six Organs of Admittance - Burning the Threshold
Angelo Harmsworth / Theodore Cale Schafer - Japanese Whisper

We should maybe do another one of these at the end of the year if we're both still here. 2017 ain't even half done yet.
>>
M
>>
A
>>
C
>>
N
>>
U
>>
R
>>
G
>>
G.
>>
E
>>
The
>>
T
>>
good thread.
>>
S
>>
Wasn't even at bump limit yet, baka
>>
>>72825468
I mean, close enough I guess.
>>
>>72825487
Well after the spamming it is lol
>>
hol
>>
up

>>72826087
>>72826087
>>72826087
>>
bep
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 84

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.