[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alice Coltrane

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: LBOP087cover-1.jpg (3MB, 3717x3717px) Image search: [Google]
LBOP087cover-1.jpg
3MB, 3717x3717px
More music like this?

I hadn't really listened to her apart from her being sampled in Flying Lotus, so it's nice to finally listen to what she does. I feel more tempted to say she's New Age or Gospel than jazz, but I guess this is still jazz?
>>
>>72786020
I don't know maybe listen to her other albums first?
Also, the type of jazz she plays is usually called Spiritual Jazz and other kinds of various avant garde jazzes.
John Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, etc.
>>
>>72786020
I got it on glorious cassette! Came in the mail the other day.

You should listen to 'Turiya Sings'. IMHO her peak (and maybe anyone's peak). Never commercially released, but I think someone put it on Youtube.
>>
>>72786059
this is AC's non-secular music. It's not jazz.
>>
>>72786092
I guess you're right, on David Byrne's label too.
I listened to one track and feel compelled to recommend Master Musicians of Jajouka (with a JA the JO master musicians of JOJOUKA are a different group that's worse, but they play the same traditional folk songs)
>>
>>72786020
>More music like this?
You could also maybe check out some of Pandit Pran Nath's ragas.
>>
>>72786123
yeah Luka Bop.

I'm gonna see a recitation by Coltrane's congregation of their services timed to the sunset on Sunday evening.

Cool project by those guys.
>>
>>72786092
One thing I've always been confused about. What is her faith? Is it Hare Krishna?
>>
>>72786232
I guess it's some kind of Hindu since she's singing praises to Rama and Krishna, but Hindu itself is rather wide in scope. The notion of "religion" we have in the west is a bit different than the way Indians think about religion. It's kind of hard to explain, and I just don't know enough about it to elaborate.

Hare Krishna's a part of/offshoot of Hindu, at least.
>>
>>72786232
Does anyone know? I believe Coltrane published at least one book about it. Lyrics on the j-card sound very hare krishna like. But I remember reading she believed all faith is valid . Sounded nondenominational.
>>
>>72786386
>But I remember reading she believed all faith is valid
That wouldn't surprise me. Those post-'60s years had a lot of that kind of religion going around.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.