[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Speaker help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: IMAG0245.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0245.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Hello /mu/. I recently bought some used speakers, turntable, and receiver all in working condition. However, when I hooked everything up, I can't seem to get a sound out of it. Any idea what is going wrong?

Pic related is of my speakers and receiver.
>>
pls hlp, I've tried looking stuff up on forums, but nothing's helping
>>
do you have an amp/preamp? or are you speakers active?
>>
How do you have them hooked together?
>>
File: IMAG0246.jpg (841KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0246.jpg
841KB, 3264x1836px
>>72783271
I thought the receiver acted as an amp/preamp? And by active, do you mean working?

I hooked up the positive and negative wires to their respective spots on the back of the receiver. Something that I'm confused about is that in the back of the speakers they have a third thing that I have no idea what they're for. It's a port with the letter C below it, and most speakers I've seen don't have this.

I suspected that it might have been the C thing being the problem.
>>
>>72783372
Does the receiver have an input labeled PHONO? You'll need you make sure the turntable is hooked to that input.
>>
>>72783431
It has a phono input. I tried switching the places of the yellow and white cables since all the phono input label said was left and right and I wasn't sure which belonged to which. The turntable also has the ground connected.
>>
>>72783372
I think I found your issue, those are passive speakers. You will need a power/integrated amp.
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-9050-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B009JBZFVK
>>
>>72783461
Ah, I see. Thank you anon. But why wouldn't something like my receiver work on passive speakers?
>>
>>72783510
That receiver should work, >>72783461 is a moron.

When you say all of the components are in working condition, how do you know this? did you audition them when you bought them? It might be something in the amplifier.
>>
>>72783461
that amp seems fine and you should still be able to hear something. something must just not be hooked up right or the pre amps are blown out. do you hear anything using a different input source like hooking an aux cable up or a tape or cd player or something?

it might be as simple as you just having the wrong input selected. it might be plugged into the phono input but you have the wrong input selected-- probably a button on the front.
>>
>>72783573
For the turntable, I asked the guy to play a sample and it sounded fine. For the receiver same. I just took the word of the guy on the speakers since they were only $20.
>>
>>72783654
Was the receiver playing from a turntable when you auditioned it?
>>
A few possibilities.
The speaker selector, far left knob, is set to the wrong pair of outputs. A/B
Tape monitor is on.
Equalizer loop is on.
If there's still no sound, then next step is to check any and all fuses you can find. Some may be inside the machine, and require removing the outer case to get to them. Also, if you're inside, inspect the circuit boards. Look for burn marks or popped capacitors.
>>
>>72783461
That old receiver sure looks like it could drive speakers. Receivers with amps were pretty common in the 70s and 80s.
>>
>>72783704
Don't open a receiver and start screwing around unless you know what you're doing. You can get electrocuted.
>>
>>72783734
Fuck off shill, that's what we want
>>
>>72783734
Unplug it first, should be obvious. Also, if you're really worried, wait ten minutes after unplugging to let the caps drain.
>>
Also, the gear that Im specifically using:

Sony PS-5550 turntable

Onkyo TX-3000

Claricon 67-345
>>
>>72783768
capacitors can potential retain their charge essentially forever. its never safe to touch the ones that are in receivers even if it hasnt been on in years.
>>
File: 20170514_211046.jpg (431KB, 1577x2024px) Image search: [Google]
20170514_211046.jpg
431KB, 1577x2024px
>>72783882
I've never run into the problem, and I've got a stack of old receivers that I've opened and serviced. Under some extreme circumstance, a cap can retain a charge for a long time, but in the real world, especially when talking about 30+ year old electronics, they'll leak out in a short amount of time.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.