[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best way to listen to a group like Godspeed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

I've never listened to Godspeed You! before, so when I listen to pic related, what should I be doing? I have this question about lots of more "high-brow" music like post rock, jazz, and experimental shit actually.

But anyway, is it important that I use headphones? Should I lie back and close my eyes? I hear it's a political album but it's instrumental. What do you listen for to get the message from an instrumental album like this?

And to give you something more to talk about, what's your favorite thing about Lift Yr. Skinny Fists?
>>
just listen to it you sperg
>>
>>72774204
I like going for walks while listening to Godspeed, F A ∞ is especially good at night. Bottom line, listen to it in whatever way you're most comfortable, I'd recommend headphones over speakers though.
>>
>>72774225
I may be highly autistic, but I have trouble properly appreciating certain instrumental albums, so I feel like I'm missing out on a huge chunk of music that I could be enjoying.
>>
Smoke whead, sit & properly enjoy already-beautiful music you twitchy attentionless sperg
>>
>>72774204
OP do not listen to the normies trying to take one of the best experiences in life away from you.
You need to be mentally prepared if you want to truly appreciate it. Don't listen to it until you feel ready.
>>
>>72774204
post rock is not and has never been considered high brow, so idk what you mean by that

that being said, as with most music meant to be experienced as an album it is preferable that you listen to it somewhat attentively.
>>
>>72775287
Tell me an album that is "high-brow".
Now.
>>
File: R-1307807-1289397146.jpeg.jpg (81KB, 600x526px) Image search: [Google]
R-1307807-1289397146.jpeg.jpg
81KB, 600x526px
>>72775314
>>
File: 1485751331819.gif (495KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1485751331819.gif
495KB, 500x281px
>>72774204
get /comfy/ and stare at the night sky while listening to GY!BE.
>>
>>72775560
Wow it's nothing.
>>
>>72775624
t. clueless philistine
>>
File: 1486771149494.jpg (70KB, 277x406px) Image search: [Google]
1486771149494.jpg
70KB, 277x406px
>>72775570
>stare at the night sky
>can't see shit because you live in a city
>>
I do most of my listening while riding my bike, it's perfect. Still, can't ride with headphones, so I also give them a proper listen before sleeping, laying in bed with my headphones on.
>>
>>72775314
most avant garde jazz, (modern) classical

it's a silly way to categorize music as high vs low brow, but pop = low brow, and GY!BE = popified classical music. I'll agree it's dumb but so is a lot of shit.
>>
>>72775730
I feel nothing listening to classical or pop. lysf is possibly the only piece of music that made me feel something.
>>
>>72775754
Yeah and I'm kinda pissed of that stars of the lid is really the only other group to get me into that same zone.

I really have no idea what to listen to next, is what I'm getting at.
>>
>>72775754
with pop I mean popular music (ie modern pop, rock, hip hop, etc).

and I don't get that thing about GY!BE being the only band that makes you "feel something"
>>
>>72775754
You might be autistic
>>
>>72775806
>with pop I mean popular music (ie modern pop, rock, hip hop, etc).
My brain likes solving the patterns but no feelings whatsoever.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.