[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flag Bearers of Metal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: iron-maiden-tee-juicy.jpg (61KB, 600x404px) Image search: [Google]
iron-maiden-tee-juicy.jpg
61KB, 600x404px
Would you agree or disagree with this assessment?

>60's: Black Sabbath
>70's: Iron Maiden
>80's: Metallica
>90's: Pantera
>00's: Mastodon
>10's: Gojira

What would you swap in or out?

I'm basing this off my own personal assessment of bands as overall originators, their popularity, and their impact on that particular decade of metal, not specifically my "favorite"
>>
There is no band like that for 2010's, yet
>>
60's = Led Zep
70's = Venom
80's = Celtic Frost
90's = Death
00's = Tool
10's = BTBAM
>>
I definitely wouldn't say Gojira since their 10s material is pretty sucky.
If we're going by trends I'd say that Periphery would be the 10s flagbearer (this is not an endorsement of Periphery), or some atmoshit band if you're going into non-mainstream innovation
>>
>>72743806
replace zep with deep purple

Otherwise patrician list
>>
>>72743809
Magma is the album of the decade imo, but I've been wrong before
>>
File: Meshuggah.jpg (49KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
Meshuggah.jpg
49KB, 512x288px
>10's
>Not this
>>
I think Ghost has been the best example of where metal is meant to go in the 2010's. The next decades bands will be heavily influenced by them and their unique style, of which they don't really have any contemporaries to be compared to.
>>
>>72744127
>The next decades bands will be heavily influenced by them and their unique style
this is bait right
you know ghost are a complete 70's tribute act?
>>
>>72743732
Normie-core more like it /s

I think that Iron Maiden shoe-horned into the 70s is kinda hard considering their official discography is in the 80s. Honestly Black Sabbath dominated the 70s as well, but if we had to differentiate between the decades I would pick Judas Priest.
>>
>>72743732
Black Sabbath had one album released in the 60s, with most of their best albums being released in the early to mid 70s. So I would definitely disagree with Black Sabbath being the 60s flag bearer for metal.
>>
2010's is Pallbearer even if you call me a nu-male for saying it.
>>
>>72744223
Something being inspired by and something being a tribute are two different things. Ghost is the former.
>>
>>72744127
I realize they've gotten popular, but are they really metal? They sound like Muse to me
>>
>>72743732
>no deafheaven
>>
>>72743732
>>70's: Iron Maiden

Maiden's first album didn't even come out until 1980 . the 70's was Zeppelin

I don't think there was a "flag bearer of metal" in the 60's. genre was too new than to award any band that title.
>>
>>72745320
You don't need a heavy sound to be put into the metal genre. Metal is about aesthetic.
>>
File: tallica.png (12KB, 406x119px) Image search: [Google]
tallica.png
12KB, 406x119px
the 80's belong to Metallica, don't try to deny it.
>>
File: hhhh.jpg (53KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
hhhh.jpg
53KB, 1000x666px
>10's
>not Liturgy
>>
>>72743732
B8 tier post
>>
>>72743806
>70's = Venom
>>72743732
>70's: Iron Maiden
>60's: Black Sabbath
>>72745844
>You don't need a heavy sound to be put into the metal genre. Metal is about aesthetic.

You people can't actually be this fucking stupid.
>>
>>72746077
Di'Anno is better than Dickenson. I'm sorry to break it to you. Doesn't matter if he had more albums with them, Self-Titled and Killers, along with Priests' "Screaming for Vengeance" WERE metal in the '70s.

And name any other type of band that uses a metal aesthetic that isn't metal.
>>
>>72746132
Screaming for vengeance was released in 1982
>>
>>72746132
>Di'Anno is better than Dickenson. I'm sorry to break it to you. Doesn't matter if he had more albums with them, Self-Titled and Killers, along with Priests' "Screaming for Vengeance" WERE metal in the '70s.
S/t, Killers, and Screaming for Vengeance were released in the 80's you thick fuck.

So if a band plays for example indie rock but with a metal aesthetic they're metal? You have to be baiting.
>>
>>72746247
Ghost isn't indie rock.
>>
>>72746132
>Di'Anno is better than Dickenson

this is a whole new level of contrarianism and faggotry
>>
>>72746264
Fuck off you illiterate cunt
>>
>>72746287
I'm not illiterate. I was defending Ghost as a metal band, someone said Ghost sounded more like Muse and weren't really metal. I then said metal was about aesthetic, rather than sound, and then you go off on a tangent implying that Ghost must be indie rock because they don't sound metal.

Aesthetic isn't just about how you dress, but how you make the audience feel. Limp Bizkit isn't metal because Fred Durst doesn't make the crowd feel the way Papa Emeritus II does.
>>
>>72746347
>for example
Can you not fucking read? I never said Ghost is indie rock you moron.
By your logic, Dungeon Synth must be metal, which is a load of horseshit.
>>
>>72746422
You don't get to define whats metal.
>>
>>72746437
Who defines metal then? Whoever they are, they can agree with me that Dungeon Synth isn't metal even though the aesthetic and atmosphere is nearly identical.
>>
>>72746474
If I took any of Vargs' recent albums and put it in 8-bit, I'd have Dungeon Synth. It still makes it metal because of the feel.

As to who defines it, I'd say its popular consensus. Ghost won Loudwire's(The top metal channel) "Top Song of 2016", so I think its safe to say they are metal.
>>
>>72746519
The consensus says Dungeon Synth is not metal. You don't get to define what's metal.
>>
>>72746545
Got a source? I'm seeing a lot of hyperbole and strawman arguments without any links to back them up.
>>
>>72746568
You're either baiting or the stupidest person of earth.
>>
>00's

>Mastadon and not Korn
>>
>>72747214
If Korn is metal, then Linkin Park is metal.
>>
>>72747267

Yeah that makes sense, just because you want to be a faggot hipster and dislike them because of their popularity = Korn not metal...

Obligatory kill yourself
>>
>>72747318
I don't dislike Korn at all, but they aren't metal.
>>
>>72746132
Dickinson is better, but i think Steve's somgwriting was much more creative and original in the Di'anno years. He got lazy with the whole triplets in E thing.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.