[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do all the best math rock bands reject the term math rock?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: tm.png (90KB, 616x608px) Image search: [Google]
tm.png
90KB, 616x608px
Why do all the best math rock bands reject the term math rock?
>>
What the fuck even is math rock supposed to mean?
Why is it math? Do they write their riffs in algebraic functions?
>>
Math involves work. Just like listening to math rock takes work to listen to them
>>
>>72737977
only mathematicians like it
>>
lots of bands are against genre names period, it makes them uncomfortable to have their music be limited to one thing, even if it is in some cases

For example, Steve Albini calls all of his projects punk rock when every listener of his music knows that Big Black, Rapeman, and Shellac are all pushing the limits of the term in different ways to the point of it being justifiable to call his music stuff like noise rock, industrial punk, math rock, post-hardcore etc
>>
>>72737977
Arhythmic time signatures
>>
>>72737977
It's more or less a joke title, sometimes used in spite.

What's a good name for rock music that steps out of the conventions of normal rock anyway? Progressive rock? I guess that works to a point, math rock is just a fun term to describe complicated rock music
>>
because they really wanted to be a post-hardcore band but they realized the only interesting thing they had were time signatures. in reality most math rock bands write bad songs with impressive instrumentals, including tera melos (who i'm a fan of).

Toe could be called a math rock band, but they're too good for that, so they're called post-rock
>>
>>72737990
>>72738010
So it was named by highschool kids who didn't want to do their homework?
>>72738002
That would be unmathematical. Math is consistent.
>>
>>72738034
>So it was named by highschool kids who didn't want to do their homework?
yea
>Math is consistent
ever heard of the godel theroem
>>
>>72738044
math is a language used to bring sense to the chaos of the universe. just because things can be explained in numbers doesn't mean they can be explained in meaning.

this is why the humanities and philosophy are far more interesting and worthwhile endeavors than any math discipline.
>>
>>72738074
ok
>>
Second this, Adam of the Brave Little Abacus never referred to his band as anything more than "experimental rock", but it was less a conscious effort to detract attention and more a youthful lack of knowledge of other sub-genres
>>
>>72738074
ok
>>
>>72738074
humanities and philosphy are far more interesting and entertaining.

Too bad you can barely make a living from them.
>>
>>72738102
>puts Abacus in the band name
>b-b-but don't call us math guyz
>>
>>72738120
i make a living doing some version of math.

i have never paid attention in math class.

every one of my coworkers no matter what their pay is as smart or smarter than me, also with very little need for more complex math than anything i had ever been able to prove in high school.
>>
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>72738171
>released eleven months after The Fall of Troy

hmm
>>
File: 1487360406420.jpg (90KB, 544x756px) Image search: [Google]
1487360406420.jpg
90KB, 544x756px
>>72738220
>>
>>72738120
>Too bad you can barely make a living from them
Humanities majors don't make any less over the course of a lifetime compared to STEM. Dunno why you'd buy into the /pol/ meme
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.