[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where should I start with Tom Waits? Not at all familiar with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Tom-Waits-Sebree-e1460679967287.jpg (230KB, 1201x799px) Image search: [Google]
Tom-Waits-Sebree-e1460679967287.jpg
230KB, 1201x799px
Where should I start with Tom Waits? Not at all familiar with his work but as a massive Bob Dylan fan he's often been recommended to me.
>>
Blood money
>>
Rain Dogs
>>
>>72735889

Tom Waits is a much different animal than Bob Dylan. His sound evolves so much over the years that it can be pretty polarizing.

His early stuff sounds like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRyYayGtRBo

His later stuff sounds like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIxPTpxvxyc

Which do you prefer?
>>
>>72735889
Start with heroin.
>>
>>72735954
Christ, you're right how much his voice has changed. The first voice is surprisingly beautiful and clear (something I didn't expect), the second is like someone with severe COPD - that said, I really like both.

Might go chronological in that case. Any albums to avoid entirely for now?
>>
File: ___.jpg (18KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
___.jpg
18KB, 500x374px
>>72735981
Heart Attack and Vines is kinda boring.

If you're into lyrics Real Gone and Alice are good.
>>
>>72735981

Not really. Blood money is a very dark and heavy album and that can be pretty jarring if you go straight from his old stuff to that.

He hasn't really put out an awful album so going in order isn't really a bad option.

My personal recommendations

Blue Valentines
Heartattack and vine
Rain Dogs
Bone Machine
>>
File: DvFhwjQ.jpg (366KB, 2380x1552px) Image search: [Google]
DvFhwjQ.jpg
366KB, 2380x1552px
>>
>>72736080
Sound, thanks for the advice. I will start with Closing Time and look forward to reaching some of the albums recommended here.
>>
>>72735889
Anywhere it's all great. I don't see dylan as comparable but if you're coming from there start with closing time.
>>
>>72736095
Hah, could be prescribed both or either or depending on how forthcoming and honest I was (and have been in the past). My drug of choice now is purely pot.
>>
Just a wee update to say I've found Closing Time a fucking brilliant first album, definitely going to keep going with Tom Waits. Surprised how brilliant the sound production is too, everything sounds crystal clear and perfect.
>>
>>72736616
For the first 6 albums, have whiskey and cigarettes
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.