[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What am I missing ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 51FtfAJeArL.jpg (47KB, 499x500px) Image search: [Google]
51FtfAJeArL.jpg
47KB, 499x500px
Souvlaki's one of my favorite albums, but everyone says it's one of the most up-beat shoegaze albums. Every time I listen it's extremely depressing though. Can someone explain why Souvlaki's considered "happy music" (at least from who I've talked to)
>>
they must not be paying attention to the lyrics
>inb4 >paying attention to shoegaze lyrics
I don't see why not, for the most part the lyrics are pretty audible
>>
>>72723699
>Can someone explain why Souvlaki's considered "happy music" (at least from who I've talked to)- 0 post shown.
watch the p4k documentary if anything. it always feels hopeful and warm to me. not depressing

>>72723733
what about them are depressing?
>>
Everyone interprets music differently, but shugazi stuff seems to be more extreme than a lot of others. I don't think it's upbeat, but I can see how some of the songs sound kind of "sunny" and bright, lyrics aside. I wouldn't say it sounds depressing either though, kind of melancholy.
As much as I love Slowdive I don't feel like their music is very far in either direction, mostly just neutral but dreamy and abstract.
>>
Souvlaki is considered the break up album. Just read the lyrycs dude, alison is a great example. One thing that may change your perspection of the album is your mood. I first listened it during a very special period of my life so I also have a very strong attachment to it.
>>
>>72723733
I didn't want my post to be too long, but I wanted to mention this
>it's so lonely in this place
>so cold I don't believe
>there's a shadow on my wall
>it dances like my soul

>>72723754
Yeah, I don't think upbeats the right word either, but definitely beautiful and lavish. It always reminded me of Disintegration a little, probably because it's one of my favorite albums, so naturally I just interpreted the tone as pretty depressing.
>>
>>72723806
>>it's so lonely in this place
>>so cold I don't believe
>>there's a shadow on my wall
>>it dances like my soul

m8 thats not depressing. just describing the time when they moved him to this cabin after the breakup
>>
>>72723743
Alison is about a girl who is losing grip on reality because she's too high
Machine Gun has drowning imagery
Here She Comes now is pretty mopey, even though there's a tinge of hope
Altogether and Dagger I feel need no explanation
I think 40 Days and When The Sun Hits are relatively bright sounding but not like twee pop bright by any stretch of the means. I think Loveless, despite Sometimes, is much more of a sunny album, for comparison.
>>
>>72723823
>Alison is about a girl who is losing grip on reality because she's too high
thats the point of drugs...... i lose sense of reality whenever i do acid.

anyway think ur mind is made up on this being depressing. seems like /mu/ go to buzzword for everything these days.
>>
>>72723823
>Loveless is more of a sunnier album
Thank you ! That was my point, I don't see how when you sleep or soon are really sad.
>>
>>72723874
Yes, but the lyrics ("I said we're sinking" "Your messed-up world" "I guess she's out there somewhere") combined with the overall haze of the song gives the drug trip a darker edge. I can see how you can interpret the song as playful however, but I don't see it. I suppose it would be easier for me to interpret the song as playful if the arrangement was more in-line with, say, jangle pop for an example.

>anyway think ur mind is made up on this being depressing. seems like /mu/ go to buzzword for everything these days.
sorry i wasn't aware that my subjective experience is just a buzzword

>>72723890
Blown A Wish makes me ridiculously happy
>>
Nearly everyone on this board is utter shit at understanding the meanings/atmospheres of songs. Evidently you can. It's a pretty somber and melancholic record. Sure the production is kind of bright and sunny, but big fucking deal. That has fuck all to do with the content of the songwriting. Loveless is a pretty upbeat and happy record. It's basically recreating feelings of ecstasy, just look at the lyrics. Souvlaki is melancholic and sad.
>>
>>72724026
>"I said we're sinking" "Your messed-up world" "I guess she's out there somewhere"
yeah cause of the drugs he himself explained it
shes doing heroin and he likes watching her get fucked up. but then wonders if should stop it or not.

https://youtu.be/Sjr6esFXJl4?t=2553
>>
I used to cry myself to sleep in high school listening to this because of a girl.
>>
>>72724086
I understand it's about the drugs, but I'm saying that lyrically it takes a darker tone and the music facilitates it. You don't have to agree with me, and I think that this disagreement is a testament to how great the lyrics are. It allows for double meanings and multiple interpretations.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.