[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Connecting instruments to a cumputer.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: preview.jpg (240KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
preview.jpg
240KB, 1200x1200px
I'm going to buy these instruments when i'm finished with my exams. I have never bought any instruments and i was wondering what extra equipment i should buy so i can connect them to my computer.

Any help appreciated.
>>
fisher price playset
>>
>>72722368
get some cables from the closing radio shack and solder them to a USB.
>>
File: shopping.jpg (17KB, 376x376px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
17KB, 376x376px
my boy here is only 2 and he already working with zaytohvehn on some fiiireee beats
>>
>>72722368
get an audio interface. I have a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 I bought second hand for $100. idk if the MS20 does MIDI out over USB (there's only a proper MIDI in jack so fuck if I know). and, of course, audio cables so you can hook up the synth to the audio interface.

HOWEVER, I'd strongly suggest you go with something poly over a monophonic synth if it's your first hardware purchase (which it does sound like). it'll be a lot more fun, and the MS20 isn't particularly newcomer-friendly either.
>>
>>72722556
to follow up on this (and this might be superfluous if you already understand MIDI, but I'm assuming you don't. don't take it personal if it sounds like I'm patronizing, it's not my intent). the Korg Minilogue, in the same price range, does MIDI in/out over USB *and* has a built in sequencer, meaning you wouldn't need the SQ1. with MIDI in/out you'll be able to hook the fucker into your computer, smash the keys and have your computer register it, then play it back from the computer while you play with the knobs. if it's only MIDI in you won't be able to record the data sent by neither the keys nor the nobs; you'll have to do all that manually from your computer, making it a whole less intuitive.
>>
>>72722437
>>72722412
They mad, cuz ya homeboy want's to make some noise.
>>
+1 to getting an audio interface.

The instrument spits out audio. if you want to work with a computer to record, you need a way to get that into your computer, and the "line-in" jack on your soundcard is a lame way to do it. Do google search for "Audio interface". Range in price from $30 to like $300 or something. I say get a cheapie
>>
>>72722659
The ms-20 mini does have usb connection on the back.
>>
>>72722835
>>72722659
>>72722556

Thanks my friends. If i ever get to making some music i will credit you for your kindly help.

BUT...

Are there any cables i should get with this?
>>
PS: Could you guys recommend me a audio-interface from this store:

http://www.gear4music.no/no/search/?str_search_phrase=usb+audio+interface&ref=h
>>
>>72722987
>>72722961

yeah, I'd recommend the NI Komplete Audio 6 (the one I have), but it's on the slightly more expensive side. and yeah, it's not a very fun gadget, so spending money on it feels shit, but if you buy a cheap one you'll have latency issues and noisy audio. look for a used one.

as far as cables go you'll need audio cables (if it's mono you need one, if it's poly (ie stereo) you need two (and you really ought to consider a poly synth instead desu). if does MIDI over USB you just need the USB cord (usually a USB 2.0 to USB 1.0 cable); if it's old-school MIDI you need one or two of those.

>>72722905
yeah, but is it in and out though? seems weird that it'd lack a proper output *but* feature both through USB.
>>
>>72723161
(wait, scratch the number of audio cables thing, it depends on the synth. I've got a Juno-106 which requires one for the right channel, one for the left but this doesn't apply to all poly synths.)
>>
>>72723161

It says on the site that the ms20 min has USB-MIDI Input/output.
>>
>>72722368
i have these two as well, and to connect to your computer one way all you would need is a single midi out( male ) cable on both ends. baisically there are two ways to connect these to your comp

you can either plug the sq1 into your pc via usb, and it will convert midi to cv, then you can take cv out and trig out from the sq1 into the ms20mini cv in and trig in. the sq1 midi to cv conversion is awesome.

or, with the sq1 plugged in via usb, you can use the cable it comes with to take midi out from the sq1 and put it into the back of the ms20mini.

or you can take midi stright out from the pc with a usb - midi cable into the back of the ms20min.

i trigger my ms20mini all the time via midi
https://soundcloud.com/bobodurango/1together-instrumental
>>
Ok.

I can connect the sq1 through my ms-20 or through my pc. And the ms-20 i should connect to an audio interface with a midi cable?

(Nice music by the way Bobo Durango)
>>
>>72723267
What instrument do you use to get the bass noise on your track "rise higher", Bobo Durango?
>>
>>72723368
that's an ms20mini going through distortion. korg monotribe for drum snare https://soundcloud.com/bobodurango/sets/bedroom-tapes
>>
>>72723459
Wow, i can't wait to try this instrument out.

Thanks a lot for your help my friend.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.