[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can Jazz be Goth?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 091229_narzib4.jpg (66KB, 688x572px) Image search: [Google]
091229_narzib4.jpg
66KB, 688x572px
Can Jazz be Goth?
>>
its an aesthetic, anything can
>>
Yes.
>>
>>72717862
>>72717863
ok is there (good) Gothic Jazz music though? Closest i can think of is Throbbing Gristle.
>>
>>72717878
oh i have a treat for you
>>
>>72717878
Ben Monder
>>
Goth is post-punk, and I know punk jazz is a thing, so yes.
>>
No. Goth is too heavily focused on aesthetics
>>
>>72717857
Can OP be a faggot?
Could OP not be a faggot?
>>
>>72718024
that is the question
>>
>>72717947
>>72717994
Thanks a lot!

>>72718010
I get what you're saying, I know a lot of Jazz musicians, especially older cats, like to be ''all about the music'' and reject the idea of having an image or persona at all, but I don't feel like it's an inherent contradiction. It's surely in part this attitude that drove jazz into obscurity.

>>72718024
>>72718093
to /b/ or not to /b/
>>
>>72718134
Jazz works better without an attempt to have a specific aesthetic. Jazz musicians can try to create a mood, Coltrane was a master at this, but goth is too heavy handed to really work. It works better in rock derived genres.
>>
>>72718174
that's silly. jazz musicians all have an image. compare the patrician elegance of duke ellington to the icy cool of miles davis to the interstellar egyptian mysticism of sun ra
>>
>>72718174
>goth is too heavy handed to really work
Excluding themes since we're probably talking about instrumental jazz I don't think goth themes are too heavy handed. All you need is a dark mood with late night ambient feel, probably slower tempos. >>72717947 achieves that
>>
>>72718234
That is true. And like I said, they can carve out a mood, but to make "goth jazz" I'd feel would be forcing it too much.
>>
>>72718174
I don't agree. Jazz's refusal to cultivate its image is why most people think it's all elevator music. I think more theatricality would really benefit the genre, both in terms of expanding its audience and exploring its potential as a multimedia art form. In recent memory, I think Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' for example did a good job of doing tribute to the sound of jazz while escaping its trappings, both with its unorthodox production which is way more sonically interesting than a pointless search for absolute fidelity, and by having a visual language that adds to the overall experience of the album.
>>
>>72718429
A lot of jazz people purposely avoid cultivating a more detailed image because they don't want to appeal to the pop/rock crowd. They'd rather their music appeal to jazz people only. I feel that appealing to aesthetics is just an attempt to be more like the rock guys
>>72718295
That's a good point. But you could describe night lights by gerry mulligan in that way, but I wouldn't call it goth. I think goth is too specific of a style.
>>
File: 71DJjUsennL._SL1067_.jpg (202KB, 1067x1053px) Image search: [Google]
71DJjUsennL._SL1067_.jpg
202KB, 1067x1053px
also twin peaks soundtrack and plenty of trip hop, if you want "jazzy" rather than jazz
>>
>>72718617
But that's my point. Jazz nowadays is a head-to-ass ouroboros of incestuous obscurantism.
>>
>>72718742
anything jazzy and moody works for me!
>>
>>72719063
And a lot of jazz people prefer it that way. The forced addition of other elements waters it down. Like when metalheads keep trying to add electric guitar to orchestral music.
>>
try the Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble
>>
Asakawa Maki
>>
>>72719149
I know, and that's where I don't think it has to be ''forced'' or ''watered down'', but I'm not gonna change the scene, we can only agree to disagree :)
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.