[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Master of Puppets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Slayer.jpg (117KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Slayer.jpg
117KB, 300x300px
Does anyone want to help articulate why I think this album sucks/wants to defend it and explain why it's so highly rated?

Because I'm bored and have too much time on my hands I've been going through a whole bunch of dad-metal discographies. So far with Metallica, I thought Kill 'Em All was very enjoyable, Mustaine's guitar work was really on point and the overall sound was pretty dirty in a p nice way. Seek & Destroy is also probably their best riff. Ride The Lightning had a pretty phenomenal opening four tracks and was incredibly punchy. While the guitar solos were incredibly cheesy at times, the songwriting took a huge step forward and the obvious classics (For Whom The Bell Tolls and Fade To Black) are both rightly masterpieces.

Then there's Master Of Puppets, RYMs second highest ranked Metal album and 45th best overall. Now I know most RYM users are plebs, especially when it comes to overrating dad-metal, but it's incredibly hard to not find merit in one of their top 200-300 albums.

Ok, so this album is just kind of there. The production is technically better, but I feel like the approach where every sound has its own space takes a lot away from the punchy heavy sound and as a result, the overall sound just feels so weak, or like it's missing something. The songwriting is just ok, with the somber breakdown on Master of Puppets and the epic intro to Welcome Home (Sanitarium) being the highlights, but overall it's really hard to see what all the fuss is about. Is it a case of the Seinfeld Is Unfunny trope?

So what makes this a better album than Ride The Lightning?
>>
>>72715389
Any excuse to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xui06jwWaAM
>>
>>72715416
Holy shita
>>
should I have posted this to /r/metal instead?
>>
>>72715617
haha, it suuure looks like it.
>>
>>72715389
This album has a lot of similar sounds to ride the lightning, with better production but weaker songwriting. Battery is just fight fire with fire, acoustic intro, and then turning into one of the fastest songs on the album. But battery is less memorable. welcome home is just fade to black, but again, less memorable. And again with trapped under ice and disposable heroes.
and call of kthulu >>>> orion

I think the main reason this album is held up higher is because master of puppets (the song) is ridiculously good and brings the album up while ride the lightning (song) is pretty weak and the production makes the sound really fucking massive. Like on battery when the whole band comes in on the end of the intro, it sounds huge. The crisp production makes the album more accessible as well
>>
>>72716984
adding on to this some more thoughts :

I think it's the same case as nirvana's nevermind vs in utero. Most people who really know nirvana or music in general will say in utero is better, but generally nevermind is rated higher because of it having the biggest singles that everybody knows, and because of it's initial impact on music. I feel like that's the same case here,
>>
>>72715389
>Suddenly, the lengthy and intricate pieces of Master Of Puppets (1986) exhibited an elegant, glossy sound that was more appropriate for classical music than for rock'n'roll. The balance between supersonic instrumental prowess, narrative ingenuity and romantic urgency had only a few precedents in the realm of progressive-rock.
>8/10
>>
>>72715389
Is metal really your thing? I don't mean that as an insult, just the way you described the solos on ride the lightning as cheesey and your preference for Seek and Destroy is something I see a lot of punk fans getting into metal say. Also Mustaine didn't play on Kill Em All, it was Hammet. You're probably not listening to MoP loud enough if I was to make a guess. You don't have to make your ears hurt, but the more scooped sound gives you a bit of room to turn it up to hear the kick drum.

Metallica albums from RtL to AJFA and DM all follow the same flow btw.
>Fast aggressive opener normally with a light opener to the track
>title track or at least what's supposed the fill the role of the title track
>slow heavy song
>ballad
>2-4 other tracks to expand on the themes of the album
>instrumental
> last aggressive track, normally most aggressive track on album or second most behind the opener

The only exception is RtL switches the last two tracks. This kinda makes it either to figure out what you like and dislike in a Metallica album.
>>
I feel at a generational disadvantage with this music not because my weary bones can't take its power and speed but because I was born too soon to have my dendrites rerouted by progressive radio. This band's momentum can be pretty impressive, and as with a lot of fast metal (as well as some sludge) they seem to have acceptable political motivations--antiwar, anticonformity, even anticoke, fine. But the revolutionary heroes I envisage aren't male chauvinists too inexperienced to know better; they don't have hair like Samson and pecs like Arnold Schwarzenegger. That's the image Metallica calls up, and I'm no more likely to invoke their strength of my own free will than I am The 1812 Overture's.

8/10
>>
Battery is one of their best

If this doesn't get your pulse up you are literally dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yHJBDeshPA
>>
>>72715389
Disposable Heroes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYaRQKF0mpk

Also their best album is [spoiler]AJFA[/spoiler]
>>
>>72717769
who wrote this? walmart music?
>>
>>72718450
>ajfa
>30 hour long songs
>boring midpaced chugging 90% of the time
>literally two good songs ( Dyers Eve and Blackened)
>>
>>72718700
>i'm a teenager that just discovered metallica

I envy you because you have so much to discover with the band
>>
>>72718744
really nice projection
>>
>>72715416
beautiful
>>
>>72715389
I think the writing is better on this than RtL, and I pretty much despise Metallica. It's more energetic, I think. RtL literally puts me to sleep because of how one-sided and monotonous it is.

But it's Metallica. It all blows.
>>
>>72718700
I liked One
>>
>>72718797
>>72718700
Lucky for you they have a nice condensed version to spoonfeed children

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4zGGXCuBVw
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.