[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this album a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: a1752648874_10.jpg (60KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a1752648874_10.jpg
60KB, 1200x1200px
Why is this album a meme?
>>
>>72701535
Blackies got mad that people did something different, and better, with their meme subgenre.
>>
>>72701589
I love Sunbather and Deafheaven but they weren't the first to the blackgaze thing
>>
Pecan Tree is the best track
>>
if the album cover werent pink it would be less of a meme
>>
Some fags made an above average album with black metal elements and a fashy cover and all music journos started circlejerking about how 'black metal has grown up' etcµ.
Same with aesthethica.
>>
>>72701535
it triggers trve metalheads
>>
>>72701640
he didn't said they were, yet they got a lot of hate for no reason
>>
Metalheads are scared of the color pink and band members that wear normal people clothes.
>>
>>72701812
It's not pink
>>
>>72701907
semi-pink
>>
>>72701907
peach?
>>
>>72701535
It's simply a case of a bad album being praised by clueless journos who know nothing about BM
>>
>>72701899
More like patricians are scared of third wave of post rock and screamo pretentiouness in good genres
>>
>>72702014
Why is it bad?
>>
>>72702019
Wrong. Try again
>>
It's only as big of a meme as you believe it is. Try forming your own opinion and listening (or avoiding) music based off what value it has to you, and not by how it's perceived online.
>>
>>72702021
For starters it's derivative and relies too much on post rock cliches
>>
>>72701535
Because it's mostly a recollections of latest Pitchfork flavor of the month trendy black metal clichés for babbies who never put an ear on the genre itself
>>
>>72701812
This. New Bermuda was forgotten because it has a black album cover. Meanwhile Sunbather is in a Apple commercial.
>>
>>72702696
There's also the fact that New Bermuda sounds pretty different
>>
File: 1493844887796.jpg (36KB, 640x535px) Image search: [Google]
1493844887796.jpg
36KB, 640x535px
>>72701812
It's pink because it's supposed to be successful. It had too much time in the sun, hence the typeset itself is fading away. This is reflected in the music - by the second to the last track we're literally hearing the singer buying downers off the streets - a clear departure from the rockstars who tour with Slipknot. The label paid for Deafheaven's exposure and they wrote an album about it (buying a a "Dream House", feasting at the infamously scanty "Pecan Tree"). Decent album but not worth the hype. New Bermuda was better but still a 6-7/10
>>
The songs on New Bermuda are all way better in a live environment.
>>
>>72701860
I think most of the hate for Aesthethica was how ridiculous HHH's philosophy behind it was. Most serious metal fans still love the album musically because of how unique it is.
>>
>>72702813
Huh, I never knew this. Personally, I can never understand screaming.
>>
File: our boy.jpg (43KB, 650x377px) Image search: [Google]
our boy.jpg
43KB, 650x377px
>>72702817
Agree, I was a little disappointed when I first heard it but they really translate well live

Then again they could play Mary Had A Little Lamb live and everyone would still be staring transfixed at George the whole time
>>
>>72701535
> band makes pretty good album
> metalfags: yeah it's okay
> p4k/TMT/every conceivable human ever: HOLY SHIT BLACK METAL HAS GROWN UP THIS IS THE FUTURE OF THE METAL GENRE WOOOOWWWWW ALSO IF YOU DON'T LIKE THIS YOU'RE STUCK IN THE PAST AND A BASEMENT-DWELLING MEAL VIRGIN LOL
> metalfags: nevermind, this album is shit
>>
>>72702866
the point is that it's not for everyone

>>72702840
and then, after a literal manifesto on the burst beat and American Black Metal as a maximal, primal expression of the modern liberated human, he makes a completely different album because he's bored with black metal. cool guy
>>
>>72702021
>standout album in a tiny niche genre
>derivative

More buzzwords!
>>
>>72702986
Was for
>>72702075
>>
>>72702941
I interpreted The Ark Work as an attempt to further his philosophy that just ended up failing spectacularly. There are continuations of the weirder things from Aesthethica (the "transcendental" mathy rhythms, the burst beats, the HEEEEEEEEEEY).
I remember someone on /metal/ doing a really detailed examination of it and he ended up relating the glitchy sound and intentionally bad MIDI orchestral sounds to some part of his philosophy, and it actually made sense. Don't remember exactly what he said though.
>>
>>72702986
I'll give you niche but black metal has more deep cuts and undiscovered artists than any other type of music except maybe techno. Not to mention that there are still volumes of high-quality albums being made still.
>>
>>72703051
it's a good point, and i guess it makes sense considering that i feel that i can judge Aesthetica against his ABM manifesto, but i find the Ark Work impenetrable on a philosophical level. I guess the clue is in the name - it's a departure for sure - but i'm not so quick to assume he dismissed that much of his aspect on black metal so readily. the terrible electronic effects i just assumed were his recursive grasps at black metals inherent lo-fi, reaching back to black metal's past as he seemed to (assumingly) pierce beyond it.
>>
>>72703088
I meant Deafheaven's sound specifically
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.