[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are guitars becoming obsolete?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

They are becoming less and less prevalent in popular music. Is the guitar a dying instrument?
>>
File: hltnsilver1.jpg (36KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
hltnsilver1.jpg
36KB, 480x640px
>2018
>listening to guitar over ironic sousaphone indie
>>
>>72690219
depends on what you like to listen to
>>
>>72690275
I'm talking about popular mainstream music.
>>
Popular maintstream, yes, it is bleeding a very slow death. It'll likely come back into scene again later, who knows. Acoustic backings are still a little common but you'll not find electric solos on the radio anymore.

A dying instrument? Absolutely not. Still massive waves of blues, alt-rock, metalcore/scene shit, jazz guitar, etc around. Still a good bit of heavy metal around.
>>
>>72690310
well what do you mean by mainstream? Top 40? half of non-rap tracks, especially those shitty chainsmokers songs, have a guitar in them. bruno mars normally does. country, folk, mainstream alt. rock, and most spanish music is guitar heavy. metal is still popular. p4k indie shit is normally guitar driven.
>>
no, not really.
>>
>>72690373
>yes, it is bleeding a very slow death
>dying instrument? Absolutely not
>>
>>72690575
>take out the context of the text and it means something else
epic, anon! I said "Popular mainstream, yes, it is bleeding a very slow death". As in, within the utter top of popular mainstream music, it is no longer particularly relevant.

As an instrument overall, outside of the context of pop, it is not "dead" nor "obselete" because there are still mass amounts of people using the instrument. However, not for mainstream radio music/top 40s.
>>
The electric guitar hasn't been a relevant normie instrument in over a decade. It'll come back eventually once electronics get overplayed and people go back to more traditional instruments to try and spice things up.

As it stands though, the only things that matter in top 40 pop are the vocalist and the producer (100% electronic)
>>
>>72690646
>once electronics get overplayed
Won't happen desu. Electronics have way too much variety of sounds
>>
>>72690219
If Humanz is a preview of things to come everything but phone-voice is becoming obsolete
>>
>>72690219
The guitar is too iconic. It might go out of fashion for a while, but as long as rock music and people who like rock music exist, it will stick around. Mainstream music might not see a revival of guitar music (barring the occasional sappy acoustic singer-songwriter) but let's not forget that the audience for "mainstream music", i.e. top 40 radio, has become more and more narrow over the years. In the internet age it's only going to get harder to identify what's popular in music (beyond whatever teenagers are into at the moment) because everyone's gonna do their own thing, and for some people that's still going to be guitar-centric rock music.
>>
>>72690219
Lol Beyonce, frank ocean, kendrick,lil uzi, drake have all had guitars on their recent albums.
Do you not know when you hear a guitar in a song you fucking retard.
>>
It's not on the forefront of the top 40 anymore, but I don't think it's dying. Plenty of people still like guitar driven music and want to learn guitar.

It's definitely in need of a rejuvenation of sorts.
>>
>>72692219
kek

guitars became popular in the 2nd half of the 20th century because they fit in the modern lifestyle. they probably still do.

>easy to travel
>not that hard to get started
>don't need any hookup to play
>>
No, because there's literally a post about this subject every fucking day.
>>
>>72690373
Honestly I blame the Chainsmokers somehow becoming massively popular despite being everything wrong with EDM. Also blame Trap music being eaten up by the normies. Its so easy to make a trap beat that you don't even need a guitar or a recording studio.

>>72692176
>but let's not forget that the audience for "mainstream music", i.e. top 40 radio, has become more and more narrow over the years
So much this. The last three years have been godawful in terms of Top 40 music, and 2017 is looking to be even worse than 2016 was. Late 90s into the early 2000's at least had a diverse Top 40, so there was something for everyone. Now thanks to meme dances that teenagers love to eat up, its just at the point of no return.

I mean fucking look at Linkin Park right now. Yes they've gotten worse over the years, but at least they tried to stay in the rock/metal area. Their new album literally went full on pop in the worst way imaginable.
>>
>>72692535
You're being too generous to the late 90s/early 00s. I recall some study from a few years ago (can't remember where) that showed that variety in top 40 music peaked in the 60s - and I believe it, because while we might associate that decade with a few particular trends, novelties often dominated the charts in those days. I think it's all a function of the accessibility of recorded music as opposed to radio. When radio had a broader audience, it had to cater to more tastes, but it's become increasingly obsolete.
>>
Guitar player here. 15 years. Have been producing for about 10.

I've been using less and less guitar in my stuff for .ethe passed couple of years and I've noticed. I want to tie it in so much because it was my gateway into music and feel like it's my primary outlet. But with the advancement of electronic music and the bleeding edge refreshing everyday, it's getting pretty stale tracking guitar. I've tried the whole pedal thing, making my guitar not sound like a guitar, and sampling and sound engineering but I've gotten bored. Jazz standards on sundays will never get old for me, but I'll probably never find myself pulling out a guitar in front of a crowd.
>>
>>72690646
im sure thats what classical pianists said in times gone passed
>>
>>72694174
And they were right. Piano tracks still top the charts in pop music. Hello was one of the biggest songs of last year.
>>
Guitar-based music died around 2008
>>
>>72690219
...just like rock/metal, it'll never 'go away' but it'll never be the same
>>
>>72690219
not at all if you can actually play guitar and be catch it's very prevalent it's an instrument you can use and it's cool as fuck at shows you wow the crowd it's a talent not many can do which is why you have to get gud.
>>
>>72694230
right around the time 'muricans found out about dubstep
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.