[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prove Me Wrong

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Grunge isn't a legitimate genre and the term was only created for marketing reasons. Can you honestly say Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam have a similar sound?
>>
is this bait? grunge isn't a genre, it's a subgenre of rock. all those bands sound exactly the same though
>>
>>72690113
I agree
Same with Britpop
>>
grunge sucks. little creativity
>>
>>72690113
Bleach, Facelift, and Badmotorfinger have a similar sound. So does Temple of the Dog which became pj and sg.
>>
>>72690113
Yeah that guy from sub pop coined it. Cobain always made fun of the term and so did most of those bands anyway. Grunge is a good category for 90s alt rock that isnt basically nu-metal. I will say the musical technique is in the same kinda calibur though
>>72690172
This is true
>>
Pretty much every genre's going to be like that to an extent. Genres usually have way more to do with scenes than sound
>>
>>72690113

Killdozer was the first grunge band.

No one lived up to their legacy.
>>
File: 181810384_BINARY_5597233.jpg (2MB, 3543x2429px) Image search: [Google]
181810384_BINARY_5597233.jpg
2MB, 3543x2429px
Literally the greatest songwriter of all time
>>
There are no genres. Can you honestly tell me that Beethoven, Aphex Twin, Marvin Gaye and Cher sound different? It's all just a collection of voices and musical instruments.
>>
>>72690113

I dunno, I'm from the area and my parents were in the mix in the 90's and saw the real life spoonman

My boss saw all those fuckers perform at WSU

Sure it was marketed and created as a term but it would be for any band to come out of a certain area with a sound I'd say, not really something exclusive to grunge

Drug abuse and alcoholism around here is a lifestyle though, grunge or no grunge
>>
Rock isn't a legitimate genre and the term was only created for marketing reasons. Can you honestly say Chuck Berry, The Rolling Stones, Elvis and The Beach Boys have a similar sound?
>>
>>72690134
>all those bands sound exactly the same though

You haven't listened to any of them if you're saying this.
>>
>>72690453
Different time periods and sub-genres.
>>
Prog isn't a legitimate genre and the term was only created for marketing reasons. Can you honestly say King Crimson, Henry Cow, Pink Floyd and Tool have a similar sound?
Post-rock isn't a legitimate genre and the term was only created for marketing reasons. Can you honestly say Tortoise, Slint, Stereolab and GY!BE have a similar sound?
Hip-hop isn't a legitimate genre and the term was only created for marketing reasons. Can you honestly say Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Death Grips and 50 Cent have a similar sound?

And sho on and sho on
>>
>>72690415
WSU as in Washington State University?
Where on campus did they play? Beasley?
>>
>>72690113
While I do think those bands were clearly distinct from one another, there's no denying that most alternative rock that came out of the early 90's had a certain distinct sound to it.
>>
>>72690113
First time i heard the word Grunge was in 1987. It was used in the HC/College/Underground/Whatever scenes to describe what was going on up in Washington. Basically punk+ 70s hard rock.
>>
Yes, they do. I can't describe it but I think we all know that they have a distinct and similar sound even if Nirvana may be more poppy
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.