[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is vinyl a waste of time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1240.jpg (257KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1240.jpg
257KB, 1600x1200px
Could you convince someone to switch from digital to vinyl?

Could you convince a poor person that it's worth saving up for?
>in before the experience of dropping the needle and flipping the disc.
>>
>>72687980
When I listen to my music I dont want to hear a bunch of crackling and popping.
>>
It's not a waste of time, it's a waste of money, sure there's the whole point of vinyl of "Dude you get the closest experience to your music when you do this" and the covers are pretty but overall i don't see a lot of people completely switching from digital and vinyl and buying every single album they have ever listened and waste thousands of dollars, vinyl is just a niche for most people, not a everyday use tool
>>
It's more of a collector thing for me. When I really enjoy an album i will get it on vinyl, but i will still listen to digital versions anyway can't be bothered with all the needle dropping and plate turning, it's so inconvenient
>>
>>72687980
it's fun if you like collecting stuff and taking time to appreciate the physical forme. yeah sounds gay but it's just a hobby so enjoy it or don't idk.
>>
>>72687980
I'd never tell anyone to abandon digital completely, and I've never met any young vinyl collectors that say that they exclusively listen to vinyl.

I use spotify for stuff I don't yet own, discovering new music, and for listening when I'm out, and listen to records when I'm home and want to listen with some nice headphones, maybe read, fall asleep to music, or just focus solely on listening.

Both methods are good for different listening experiences.
>>
>>72687980
Not a waste of time if you have money.
If you want to collect the album for the cover art or for the insert, more power to you, i like to collect things. Its like a personal music and art gallery combined. Anyone that argues about the fidelity of the sound is blowing smoke out their ass though. Abandoning digital is a dumb idea though, most songs arent available on vynil and the sound quality of a FLAC is superior.
>>
You ever listened to a vinyl record? They sound like shit. No bass, distorted treble, surface noise, poor dynamic range. I've heard high end equipment and it's all worse than digital.
>>
>>72688792
try not shopping at urban outfitters and you'll be fine
>>
File: 1490670677038.png (304KB, 538x429px) Image search: [Google]
1490670677038.png
304KB, 538x429px
>>72688150
>fun
How dare you
>>
I have an old vintage gramaphone my dad bought when I was a kid so I enjoy collecting thicc 78rpms for it but I really dont get why people waste money when digital music is way more convenient and they have no nostalgia for the thing
>>
File: 1463612602457.jpg (23KB, 506x437px) Image search: [Google]
1463612602457.jpg
23KB, 506x437px
>>72687980

Why do you have to "switch"? Only the biggest autist would actually use vinyl as their main listening set up. I do 99%+ of my listening digital (my entire library is pirated) and I chuck a vinyl (or CD) on when I'm in the mood for it.

>>72688055

Then keep your vinyl clean, carefully choose your stylus cartridge combo, and don't buy garbage-tier reissues with shitty pressing quality.
>>
>>72688792

Must've have been some pretty crappy "high end" gear and/or a shitty record itself. Vinyl is very capable of sounding extremely good. Of course, the "it's better than CD!" myth is a meme, at least if you're stupid enough to believe that it's a rule of thumb. With a good pressing and vinyl specific mastering the record can absolutely sound better than CD if the CD was a loudness wars victim, for example. But if the CD was actually mastered with audiophile sensibilities it will sound excellent and there's really no reason trying to seek out a better sounding vinyl, because there's unlikely to be one.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.