[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Indie Rock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: huge_avatar.jpg (46KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
huge_avatar.jpg
46KB, 300x300px
As someone who is just starting to get into Indie Rock, what bands or albums should I listen to? What bands or albums should I stay away from?

Indie Rock I'm Into Now
>Sonic Youth
>Dinosaur Jr
>Pixies
>King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
>Neutral Milk Hotel
>Ovens
>>
Built to Spill
>>
>Sonic Youth
>Indie

Really?
>>
surprisingly sebedoh and arcade fire arent hipster wannabe different garbage like they're portrayed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um7kFyLmrQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b_IHjWXbuM

btw what's your favorite SY album?
>>
>>72670887
>what bands or albums should I listen to?
anything up until 2001
>What bands or albums should I stay away from?
anything after 2001
>>
>>72670887
is gizzard indie?
>>
File: 71b15upe61L._SL1500_.jpg (201KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71b15upe61L._SL1500_.jpg
201KB, 1500x1500px
>>72670954
I've seen a lot of people saying this album is bad but I don't really see why. It was the album that got me into Sonic Youth
>>
>>72670978
I'm pretty sure yeah
>>
>>72670997
yeah it's definitely one of those albums you gotta listen to a lot for some people. my only real problem with it are the songs can drag on but it's sonic youth's most solid album.
>>
>>72671032
wouldna v guessed it laddie
*selects gas stations with pipe on touch screen*
>>
>>72671075
why ruin a perfectly respectable thought by tagging a shit opinion on to the end?
>>
>>72671131
it's not my favorite but in terms of coherency and sound, the whole album fits together very well
>>
define indie rock please
>>
>>72670887
>King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
Don't know them, but you might want to check out The Jesus Lizard.
>>
>>72670887
>Pavement
>Guided by Voices
>>
Modest Mouse up till Good News For People Who Love Bad News.
The Lonesome Crowded West is GOAT.
A more obscure suggestion is Chokebore.
>>
have anyone tried todo a indie rock flowchart??
>>
>>72672044
I would assume so, but it's such a broad genre it'd be hard to cover.
>>
>>72670921
Murray Street and Sonic Nurse are pretty indie rock-ish
>>
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People

(also listen to the s/t, it's great too)
>>
Broken Social Scene

also probably not essential but I like Cymbals Eat Guitars a lot. listen to Lose first; if you like the abstract songs like Place Names listen to Lenses Alien next, if you like it a bit poppier like Chambers listen to Pretty Years next
>>
>>72672044
You wouldn't be able to do it without someone getting mad at you for not doing it their way because indiefags are the most serious
>>
File: slsk.png (24KB, 759x298px) Image search: [Google]
slsk.png
24KB, 759x298px
who else is downloading uncle bunny faces
hurry up
>>
File: pavement.jpg (134KB, 450x445px) Image search: [Google]
pavement.jpg
134KB, 450x445px
>>
Hollerado - Record in A Bag / White Paint
Modest Mouse (entire discography, they havent released a bad album)
PUP (more punk) - S/T / The Dream is Over
Dismemberment Plan - Emergency and I
Gob - Foot in Mouth Disease
Mathew Good Band - Beautiful Midnight
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Black Keys - Brothers
The Strokes - is this it?
White Stripes - Elephant
White Reaper - White Reaper Does it Again
Tokyo Police Club - Forcefeild
>>
Super Furry Animals
>>
Kings of Leon
Fleet Foxes
Motion Theatre
Band of Horses
>>
>>72672507
b8
>>
File: figure8.jpg (36KB, 391x400px) Image search: [Google]
figure8.jpg
36KB, 391x400px
>>72670887
>>
The best Indie Rock albums of all time are ITAOTS and Funeral by Arcade Fire. Anyone who denies that fact is delusional. Also Modest Mouse, Pavement, Dismemberment Plan etc.
>>
the shins
>>
>>72672740
I was very underwhelmed by Emergency & I. I don't get the hype. Musically and production wise it was pretty good, great even, but it wasn't all that unique or creative, and the lyricism I thought was pretty bad and downright cringey in some parts. What am I missing?
>>
>>72672885
I find the rhythm section to be pretty creative and unique but agree with you that the lyrics can be a little cringey. Maybe you'd like Change more?
>>
>>72672507
NME-core
>>
>>72672958
I'll check it out, thanks
>>
>>72672885
I don't know boi, I loved it, I think instrumentation is really creative and it's full of this moments of astonishing inspiration were the song changes, like some choruses or instrumental passages.desu I consider it to be one of the best albums of the 90's
>>
>>72672384
May I suggest adding Humbug by the Arctic Monkeys to that list?
>>
>>72672384
I think White Blood Cells is miles better than Elephant
>>
>>72672507
people are gonna shit on you, but I think Youth and Young Manhood is a seriously fantastic album
>>
>>72673128
Well like I said, musically it's pretty damn cool. The record sounds great. But I really can't get past the cringe lyrics. It's weird cause there are some chunks of lines in there that I consider great (red wire, left temple) but a lot of it seems just a step above run of the mill emo band lyrics.
>>
sioux falls is pretty good
this whole album is quite good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMa3WcB6vrk&list=PLuf1Vi1YgaE3vjhFP1WVP94q7wu-raU1U

modest mouse is good

french kicks. one time bells is my favourite. swimming is good

mock orange. get at their earlier stuff, more accessible in general, kind of punky but sharp and melodic. their older stuff is a bit more out there, kind of goofy for lack of a better term. still good.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.