[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's been a whole year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: A MOON SHAPED POOL.jpg (842KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
A MOON SHAPED POOL.jpg
842KB, 1400x1400px
Today in 2016 A Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead was released.
How has your opinion of it changed since then, if at all? Does it still hold up? Do you still listen to it? Was it a worthy successor to The King of Limbs?
>>
>>72654800
Top 5 imho.
>>
>>72654800
>worthy successor to TKOL
mate the shit i took this morning was a worthy successor to the king of limbs
>>
>>72655610
hey fantano
>>
>>72655610
t. fantano drone
>>
File: 1488317861075.jpg (41KB, 960x904px) Image search: [Google]
1488317861075.jpg
41KB, 960x904px
>I have browsed the board for more than one year
Holy fuck wow
>>
>>72654800
top album right behind the big three for me
don't know if I'll like it more than IRs tho we will see
>>
Aww, I was gonna make this thread.

Well, it hasn't changed at all since I got comfortable with it, which is to say I think it's one of their best. Top 3 material. I still give it a listen here and there and in my opinion it's not only a worthy successor to The King of Limbs but also to In Rainbows as well. I feel like the album takes the general style of IR and opts for a more languid, dreamlike feeling as opposed to the tight pop structures and largely manages to do so through a more tasteful utilization of the loops and polyrhythms of TKOL. There's a couple of missteps - Thom's narrative on The Numbers is cringeworthy and the synths on Identikit are too flimsy sounding IMO - but generally speaking I think this is very much the kind of record they should be making this far into their career. Showed me that the old dog still had some tricks in him yet.
>>
it was a solid but i felt there wasn't enough variety on the album. other than one or two tracks, the whole album just kind stays calm and quiet. to me it sounded like the missing link between okc and kid a, but without the mountains and valleys that made those truly great albums
>>
>>72655657
it's a good board.
>>
>>72655657

>tfw you first started coming to /mu/ not long before TKOL dropped

AMSP was the first Radiohead release since I became a fan. Figured I'd give them a go because the board wouldn't shut up about them. Fuck, it's been 6 years already.
>>
Outside of Deck's Dark it didn't do much for me. It's better than TKOL but as far as I'm concerned the last great Radiohead album was HTTT
>>
>>72655693
>there will never be the strong synths and more defined guitar from the early live version
https://youtu.be/aEK5Ndsz5cg?t=1m23s
why even live
>>
>>72655741

I can see that but personally I liked the consistently dour mood. It certainly picks up a bit on Burn The Witch, Ful Stop and Identikit but otherwise you're right. It's a mood I dug being locked in though so it worked for me.
>>
It was good, but not great, in my opinion. A step up from The King of Limbs. They're definitely entering into the "legacy act" status of their career.

Not to mention, they're in that "we take 5 years between each album stage" that U2 entered at the start of the last decade. Their creative abilities are slowing down. Not only are they not cranking out classics like they used to, but they haven't had a truly GREAT record in a decade (and I would argue it doesn't quite stand up to the likes of OKC or Kid A).

The King of Limbs was a bit of a disappointment for many following IR and showed the band seeming to struggle creatively (after 5 years, their cream of the crop was 8 tracks and 35 minutes of mostly good, sometimes spotty, heavily electronic-based material).

Quite frankly, AMSP, while a step up from TKOL and acclaimed by both fans and critics, doesn't quite stack up to the Bends - In Rainbows run of records. And frankly I feel like outside of a handful of tracks, the songs won't have too much longevity.

They seem to be getting close to the bottom of that barrel of creativity. They're about to hit 50 (Phil turns 50 in a few weeks) and on this new record a large number of the songs were 5, 10, 15, 20 year old leftovers from other album sessions (also the album's track listing was literally just all the tracks in alphabetical order). They're not phoning it in yet, but the signs are there. Hell the bonus disc was just the rejected James Bond track they released the previous year and one new track "Ill Wind".

Compare that to the In Rainbows which had a 25 minute bonus disc of additional material released in addition to the album. Or even during the King of Limbs era, the band released 6 songs as standalone singles.

Now they're promoting a big deluxe edition remaster/reissue of OK Computer this year. Sounds a lot to me like they're quickly approaching legacy act status. How much longer they stay relevant outside their hardcore fanbase remains to be seen...
>>
>>72654800
Didn't like it much at first but it grew on me, I fell in love with it for a bit, and then I got a little tired of it. Overall an excellent addition to Radiohead's discography, but I'd still rank it below every album except Amnesiac and Pablo Honey.
>>
>>72655759

is it because they've weaned off the political neuroticism after that album? I mean, HTTT is my favorite but I also dig what came after it.
>>
>>72654800
i actually was not a huge fan when it first came out, but it has since grown on me immensely. Now i put it in my top 3. Its a masterclass in subtlety, and the production on every song just sparkles like no other album of theirs thus far
>>
>>72655804
Damn. You're so right that it's a bit sad.
>>
>>72655804
nigga go fuck yourself
>>
>>72655804

I don't think they struggled creatively on this album. Between Greenwood's orchestral compositions taking front stage more than ever, the loops experimentation from TKOL both taking on a more tactful, thematic nature and the instrumentation and album flow being absolutely spot on I think AMSP, while admittedly a bit low key in approach, it the band's most mature work on a compostional and textural level. Their other albums aren't anywhere this smooth, save MAYBE In Rainbows and even that's a stretch. I don't think you're wrong about their incoming status as a legacy act but if so, AMSP could very well be the supernova before the star goes dark, so to speak.
>>
>>72655781
if you're into that mood i feel ya, but the entire album i was expecting the band to let loose and star jamming while yorke belts the words out, but never quite got what i was hoping for. the songs are nice, but i was disappointed at the end of the record, and upon relistens, i feel blue-balled
>>
It's my fourth favorite
1. In Rainbows
2. Kid A
3. Ok Computer
4. A Moon Shaped Pool
5. Hail to the Thief
6. The Bends
7. Amnesiac
8. Pablo Honey
9. The King of Limbs
>>
>>72655979

I can see that, they never go nuts like on Bodysnatchers or Feral, just to recall their more recent work. Still, I think that lends AMSP a thematic coherence and maybe that sort of energy just wasn't where the band's head was at the time. I've seen a lot of people say that they need to be in the right mood to listen to AMSP and that doesn't surprise me - the record never exactly sounds like it's coming from an easy place, kind of like Bjork's Vulnicura or The Flaming Lips' The Terror. I think this record is Radiohead's equivalent of that kind of record.
>>
>>72655804
>How much longer they stay relevant outside their hardcore fanbase remains to be seen...
Nigga Daydreaming and Burn the Witch both have like 20+ million views on YouTube each
>>
>>72655618
>>72655619
t. p4k drones
>>
>>72655657
This is, huh, wow.
>>72655659
Also this
>>
>>72655804
Thanks for accurately describing that awkward feel I got from AMSP
I hope LP10 is their final LP, I really don't want Radiohead to become shit. Would just be embarrassing.
>>
>>72656007
No one cares homo
>>
AMSP is one of their most beautiful albums, and overall a very decent LP in Radiohead's standards. TKOL was kind of a disappointment, but mainly because they chose the wrong songs to appear in the album and left masterpieces like Staircase as extras. Also In the Basement was demonstrated that the album was conceived to be performed live and not the overproduced version they released. So I don't think they are not as creative, in fact AMSP has two of the best songs they have ever released (Present Tense/Daydreaming). I'd put it in the same level or slightly lower than In Rainbows.
>>
>>72655771
they also changed they key of the second part so it stays the same as the first, the dissonance of that key change in the original version made it so much fucking better
end my life senpai
>>
>How has your opinion of it changed since then, if at all?
not really except Desert Island Disk seems to get worse every time
>Does it still hold up?
yep
>Do you still listen to it?
nope
>Was it a worthy successor to The King of Limbs?
sure. After TKOL I was excited for RH to move into a more electronic direction; then I heard Tomorrows Modern Boxes and Amok which had me praying for something like AMSP.

>>72655804
I agree with the notion that RH seems to be running out of creative steam in this phase of their career. That being said you contradict yourself as you use TKOL's running time as proof of a lack of ideas and then cite all the extra material released in that period as evidence creativity. Just because something is short time-wise doesn't mean it's short on ideas. TKOL is only 5 minutes shorter than In Rainbows anyway
>>
People are in denial about Radiohead being in recession. Whereas TKOL had competent vocals that hit the notes, AMSP has frequently missed notes in the vocals. While TKOL had emotional diversity, AMSP is always languid and midtempo.

People who like AMSP have no musical comprehension.
>>
>>72655804
Dont fucking say that. And dont compare them to u2.
>>
Definitely one of their best albums. Its my #2 from them and I am really glad to see they aren't fizzling out. King of Limbs wasn't awful but it never felt like a full Radiohead album for me.
>>
>>72654800
It's still boring as shit 365 days later so it's definitely "trademark Reddiohead" as they say
>>
>>72659244
Yeah Thom sounded really bad this album, which is sad because he always sounded great up until now.
>>
I know that it's more calm and quiet comparing to their latest records, but I see nothing wrong with that, after all this album's direction is not that bad, it is pacific but also beautiful, the orchestra is great and I love the melody in each track, also True Love Waits is a wonderful ending. It is in my Top 3.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.