[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Adele finally end the meme that pop stars can't have talent?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

Did Adele finally end the meme that pop stars can't have talent?
>>
>>72652254
No, she just continued the meme that you have to have talent if you want to be fat and famous.
>>
File: brian.jpg (53KB, 460x547px) Image search: [Google]
brian.jpg
53KB, 460x547px
>I use the same board that people who unironically like top 40 pop use
>>
>>72652287
>implying beach boys wasn't top 40 pop
>>
>>72652287
Brian Wilson likes Kate Bush. Kate Bush is top 40and yosda ;l\afadsfasfa
>>
>>72652321
>>
>>72652321
>They were top 40 rock and top 40 music was very different 50 years ago
>>
Pop music vocalists having talent isn't uncommon. But it's how the talent is used that often feels...frustrating. Adele's like what would happen if you got Jimi Hendrix and told him that he can't fuck around on his guitar on every track, use shitty mixing techniques to hide his range/unique sound, and then simplify the arrangement around him so the end result is the least offensive kind of music possible.
>>
>>72652254
She's got some good songs, but her fan base, which consists of mostly fat women and gays (literally ALL gay men and fat bitches love Adele), are insufferable. I don't have a problem with gays or fat chicks, but just because you are on doesn't mean you have to automatically be an Adele fan, but that seems to be the case.

She's very overrated only because she's accessible to musical retards, just like Taylor Swift. It's decent music you hear on the radio so your average music listener thinks it's the greatest thing ever when, if they dug deeper, they'd realize how shallow her music is.
>>
>>72652394
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q_z2WkSKTc

she had the potential too, should have done more like that
>>
No, Carly did.
>>
>>72652518
Superior version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDy1_ePxQZc

No idea why she doesn't utilize her higher range more often instead of belting out for 2 minutes
>>
>>72652344
excuse me how new are you
>>
>>72652537
Carly Simon is great but I wouldn't go that far
>>
>>72652254
No but Carly Rae jepsen sure did
>>
She doesn't have skill though.
Every song is just her mumbling in an annoyingly exaggerated husky voice followed by an OMG SO PASSIONATE wailed-at-the-top-of-her-lungs chorus identical to those of nearly every other female pop singer, with the same lifeless melodies, progressions, and overproduction. Her only gimmick is that "dude she's fat and swears in interviews, she's a real human bean and not a normal celebrity", effectively making her the Jennifer Lawrence of music.
>>
Eh...
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (25KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
25KB, 400x266px
>>72652604
>Carly Simon is great

Carly Simon [Elektra, 1971]

Since affluence is an American condition, I suppose it makes sense not only for the privileged to inflict their sensibilities on us, but for many of us to dig it. Too bad, though. It's OK for "That's the Way I've Always Heard It Should Be" to voice a cliché, but not with that calculated preciosity and false air of discovery. If Carly's college friends are already old enough to have alienated their children, her self-discovery program is a little postmature anyway. C-

No Secrets [Elektra, 1972]

If a horse could sing in a monotone, the horse would sound like Carly Simon, only a horse wouldn't rhyme "yacht," "apricot," and "gavotte." Is that some kind of joke? Why did Mick Jagger want her? Why does James Taylor want her? Come to think of it, why does she want either of them? B-

Hotcakes [Elektra, 1974]

"You're So Vain" left a nice afterglow--as Ellen Willis says, it proves that rock and roll is so democratic that even a rich person can make a great single. But except for the startling "Mockingbird" (buy the forty-five if you must) the album's most interesting moment occurs when Simon whistles. Need I add that her whistling is flat musically and epistemologically? C
>>
The Best of Carly Simon [Elektra, 1975]

Given her self-knowledge and her fans' taste (they like her, right?), a compilation isn't going to get her at her best, though this does collect some of her more attractive melodies. Light a fart for the two big Jacob Brackman statements: "Attitude Dancing," which means exactly what it says, and "Haven't Got Time for the Pain," which doesn't, not quite--the most insidious let's-write-God-a-love-song to date. C+

Boys in the Trees [Elektra, 1978]

Carly generally makes marriage seem both more boring and more nasty than I've found it to be, but not on this album, where matrimony is abandoned for more adolescent subjects. Even the two please-don't-cheat-oh-hubby songs--the better (and nastier) of them written by Carly's hubby--can be interpreted by her younger fans as please-don't-cheat-oh-boyfriend. In a way, this is too bad--if Carly were to come up with an interesting song about marriage, someone less conventional musically than Carly & Arif might cover it and give Carola and me something new to sing along to. John and Yoko, where are you now that we need you? C+

Spy [Elektra, 1979]

This advocate of the fuck-around-and-fib-about-it school of post-monogamy ("Morality is what I can do and still live with myself," she revealed to her publicist recently) dedicates her latest to Anaïs Nin, and for once I think she's selling herself short--at her best she's sharper than Anaïs Nin. If she'd been able to maintain the shrewd, ironic, vengeful-to-loving-to-bemused pace of the first three songs, she might actually have made a case for her ethical theories. But after that she mostly seems confused. Anaïs would be proud. B-

The Bedroom Tapes [Arista, 2000] *bomb*
>>
>>72652768
>>72652821
Go to bed Christgau, and update your website tomorrow because I swear to god it looks like a relic from the mid 90's.
>>
>>72652768
#rekt
>>
>>72652821
I love The Bedroom Tapes.
Did he get dumped by her once wtf?
>>
She was actually topless in the cover photoshoot, but they hired some artist to paint a top over her, presumably because K-Mart wouldn't put it on their shelves it with the original cover? :^)
>>
File: RattInvasion.jpg (45KB, 401x398px) Image search: [Google]
RattInvasion.jpg
45KB, 401x398px
>>72653943
Is it me or does...yeah.
>>
>>72653996
Nice homage.
>>
>>72653943
As Christgau noted, this album is a bit less adult contemporary than her previous albums and more aimed at teenagers. Actually, I think it's slightly embarrassing for a married woman in her 30s with two small children to suddenly decide she wants to be 17 again.
>>
File: ihi.jpg (7KB, 212x212px) Image search: [Google]
ihi.jpg
7KB, 212x212px
>>72652254
well, Greg Kurstin got paid 50k a day to give that illusin.
>>
Some years ago, Barnes & Noble had this contest thing where you could win lunch with Carly Simon, but you could only talk about things she wanted to talk about and there was a huge list of stuff that was off-the-table.
>>
>>72654170
/this

all mainstream music is basically bullshit.
>>
>>72654144
have ever been married, had kids, or been a women in her 30s anon?
>>
'hello' is the second worst song ever recorded
>>
>>72654232
So no asking about the size of James Taylor's...
>>
>>72654381
the first being 'work' by rihanna. it's a toss-up tho
>>
>>72654170
really?
>>
>>72654401
>So no asking about the size of James Taylor's...

Guitar collection?
>>
>>72654401
I don't think there's any unit of measurement small enough for that.
>>
>>72654428
yep. That's firsthand too. (no, I won't be going into detail)
>>
>>72654589
He's doing the same thing with that walking corpse Paul McCartney right now. (((Producer))) of choice.
>>
File: postpepism.png (29KB, 721x538px) Image search: [Google]
postpepism.png
29KB, 721x538px
>>72652630
Her entire marketing campaign is that she's a "real woman" who makes "real music".

That's absolutely all there is to it. She can belt out those notes with her voice, but she doesn't know how to use her voice as a creative and smart tool.
>>
>>72654668
>He's doing the same thing with that walking corpse Paul McCartney right now

Paul still puts on some great live shows and has loads of energy and stage presence for a guy in his 70s...but his voice has been getting really weak in the last 5 or so years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6vhCXCQ1Yk
>>
>>72652254
She made the same record three times, worse each time. No.
>>
>>72654801
kek, the 2nd Paul McCartney (c'mon it's funny) is a Jew puppet fraud.

Grow up.
>>
>>72654170
>Greg Kurstin
this guy deserves MUCH more scrutiny

at the center of a lot of ((()))
>>
>>72654170
Does anyone else here fucking love Geggy Tah?
>>
>>72655025
?????

Kurstin is a fucking scab cancer.

Shall we start listing the '''projects''' he's been involved in?
>>
>>72655054
do it
>>
>>72655130
off the top of my head:

>(((Flaming Lips)))
>(((Beck Hanson))) (who actually feel sorry for)
>(((Annie remake movie)))
>(((Adelle)))
>(((Paul McCartney)))

am I missing anything?
>>
>>72655182
>Greg Kurstin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Kurstin_production_discography
a lot of sia, lily allen, kesha etc
>>
>>72655288
i know him irl

((())) for fucking sure
>>
>>72655344
nobody believes you without proof duder
>>
>>72655401
>>>
>Anonymous 05/08/17(Mon)01:06:36 No.72
not gonna do it...but true story, that dude is making $$$ that defies all logic.

shenanigans
>>
>>72655432
I believe you!
>>
>>72655461
i don't care one way or the other

truth is what it is
>>
>>72652254

No, because that's never been a meme. Most pop stars make shitty music but that's not the same thing, people have literally always recognized that there are talented individuals in the field. It's kinda how it's even a thing.
>>
>>72652462
I've always wondered why gays like her music
>>
>>72652254
I drive by a billboard in my city with this exact picture of Adele on it every day and that stupid look on her face makes me want to punch her more and more every time I see it.
>>
>>72652267
kek

she is pretty fat for a famous person
>>
>>72652344
Reddit is the other way, young man
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.