[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/u2/ - U2 general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 19

File: Numb_promo_U2[1].jpg (29KB, 400x351px) Image search: [Google]
Numb_promo_U2[1].jpg
29KB, 400x351px
Take the /mu2/ challenge: can you combine All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb into a single 8/10+ album?
>>
>>72620809
I hate Atomic Bomb personally.

Also stop this u2 pill nonsense mate.
>>
Are they rehearsing Vancouver again today?
>>
>>72620809
Are they planning any new releases any time soon? Really liked the last one.
>>
>>72622659
You mean like a studio album?
>>
>>72622972
Yea
>>
>>72622659
Songs of Experience is still scheduled for release this year I think. Who knows when it actually comes out
>>
i have a 10/10 tracklist
1.Vertigo
2.Vertigo
3.Vertigo
14.Vertigo
>>
>>72623178
Epic
>>
>>72622659
Songs of Experience was supposed to come out this year, but Bono said they were going to redo it to "reflect the Trump era" or some gay shit
>>
>>72623072
Sweet. Hope it's as good or better than Innocence.
>>72623575
Fuck
>>
>>72620809
>All That You Can't Leave Behind
This was an awful album
>and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
This was a great album

Why do this?
>>
Un-ironically attempting this.

>>72623667
Weird thing is I disagree, but if I think about it, it's only because the production is slammed on Atomic Bomb but balanced perfectly on Behind. The songwriting on Bomb is much better, but somehow Behind is more cohesive.
>>
>>72623719
>production is slammed
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>72623575
i.e. "We have unlimited money and no deadlines so instead of putting it out we'll just keep tinkering until one of us dies"
>>
>>72623719
Agree with this, the songs are much stronger on bomb but it sounds like a collection of tracks more than a cohesive album. The album tracks on ATYCLB are more forgettable but the whole thing sounds like a cohesive whole
>>
>>72623905
It's the super compressed mid-2000s loudness war sound. It could be a lot worse, but you can still hear it, especially in Original of the Species or the choruses of Love and Peace, where every part of the song is pushed to the forefront. And in Vertigo, but it fucking works on that song.

Also, the constantly changing production tricks on One Step Closer hold the song back IMO. Strip it down and slow it down, it'd be twice as powerful.
>>
>>72624091
>It's the super compressed mid-2000s loudness war sound.
That's not production, that's mastering
>>
>>72624132
Mastering, mixing, and other sound engineering are generally considered under the umbrella of production. Unless you're a sperg like Albini.
>>
>>72624251
>Mastering, mixing, and other sound engineering are generally considered under the umbrella of production
Wrong, they are all separate things.

Read the credits of an album
>>
>>72624275
yes I know what they are. but when people are referring to production, they are talking about the sound engineering.
>>
>>72624318
>yes I know what they are
Well, apparently you don't because you confused mastering with production
>they are talking about the sound engineering.
Which is also different from mastering engineering.
>>
>>72624275
I'm in the business. They're segregated mostly because the process goes faster / less arguing with different people taking different roles. There's loads of overlap. But for example it helps to have someone else on mastering than production due to the producer's closeness to the material. And production and engineering are only different in that the engineer's the guy twisting knobs, placing mics and setting up the compression and reverb units, while the producer directs / listens / gives input.

It's really all one in the same, it's just that producing a record's a huge job that generally requires multiple people working together in different positions.
>>
>>72624404
>I'm in the business
What a coincidence, I am too.

It is all separate. This is why mixing engineers, second engineers, producers and mastering engineers are all credited separately. If it was all one umbrella, all these folks would be co-producers. But obviously (as you know since you are "in the business") that is not how it works.
>>
>>72624359
I'm not the one who called mastering production. I was just clarifying what they meant
>>72624404
What this ni[B][B]a said
>>
>>72624487
You were clarifying their error?
>>
>>72624464
So you're saying the producer has zero input on how an album is mastered? The band and producer just sign off on whatever the mastering engineer thinks is good without listening to it?

Yes, they're 'separate', but all those working on an album (including the band) communicate and work towards the final album, it's literally never work done isolation, so there's no point in differentiating the work unless you're one of the ones working on the album and want to be, you know, credited for the specific kind of work you did.
>>
>>72624505
I was clarifying what he meant you sperg lmao. When most people refer to production, they generally mean everything that isn't the songwriting. There is overlap between what the producer and the mixer do.
>>
>>72620809
how did I do /mu2/

1. Love and Peace or Else
2. Vertigo
3. Beautiful Day
4. City of Blinding Lights
5. Kite
6. Crumbs from Your Table
7. Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
8. New York
9. One Step Closer
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
11. Grace
>>
>>72624547
>When most people refer to production, they generally mean everything that isn't the songwriting
Sounds like their mistake.

And now it's yours
>>72624545
>So you're saying the producer has zero input on how an album is mastered?
You clearly have no idea how it works.
>Yes, they're 'separate',
End of story
>so there's no point in differentiating the work
I guess if you are musically illiterate and don't really understand how to make a record, sure.
>>
>>72624630
Damn, what a coherent response, I have so much to respond to here.
>>
>>72624590
really bad and i think you should kill yourself
>>
>>72624590
All That You Can't Dismantle
>>
>>72624703
sounds like an 8/10 to me
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxYUFGypays

New song being played at the JT Tour rehearsals
>>
>>72624718
i think you should kill yourself too
>>
>>72624729
> another boring fucking ballad
I don't know why I get my hopes up anymore
>>
>>72624091
>It's the super compressed mid-2000s loudness war sound. It could be a lot worse, but you can still hear it

This. So much. Honestly, the levels started getting pushed up on All That, but by Atomic Bomb, they were all the way up. Not only is the album painfully mediocre, but it's painful to listen to as well.
>>
>>72620809
1. Wild Honey
2. Wild Honey
3. Wild Honey
4. Wild Honey
5. Wild Honey
6. Wild Honey
7. Wild Honey
8. Wild Honey
9. Wild Honey
10. Wild Honey
11. Elevation
>>
>>72624590
I would replace Vertigo with Elevation and Grace with Yahweh
>>
>>72624784
8/10
>>
>>72624785
I can't fucking stand Elevation but Yahweh's a good call.
>>
>>72624784
1/10
>>
>>72624887
I like the music on Grace but the cringy lyrics kill it for me
>>
>>72624924
> ka ah ah ahaaahrma, ka ah ah aaaarma
100% same
>>
>>72624785
Only if it's the GOAT version of Elevation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J63hk2tXu2k
>>
>>72620809
Excuse me, but R U Talkin U2 2 Me?
>>
>>72625074
You poppin' my stones?
>>
>>72625246
Nah, just blue turtlin' here.
>>
>>72624759
At least it has some semblance of a melody. They've put out some absolute tuneless dogshite as of late.
>>
>>72625279
You heard about the new episode they're doing at Bonnaroo next month?
>>
>>72623178
Lol mate Vertigo is like U2's worst song
>>
>>72625308
No, but that's fantastic news. I assumed that they were finished. Hoping for some episode of I Love Films and What's Your Fuckstyle?
>>
>>72624590
decent attempt dude

for me:
1 Beautiful Day
2 Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
3 Kite
4 City Of Blinding Lights
5 In A Little While
6 Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
7 Walk On
8 One Step Closer
9 Original Of The Species
10 New York
11 Grace
>>
>>72625427
I want more Staind Glass
>>
File: The_Unforgettable_Fire.png (44KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
The_Unforgettable_Fire.png
44KB, 300x300px
Recently U2-pilled here. What is their best record and why is it Unforgettable Fire?
>>
Side 1:
City of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
Elevation
All Because of You
Walk On

Side 2:
Original of the Species
Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Crumbs from Your Table
Peace on Earth/One Step Closer (interchangable)
Beautiful Day

I think side 1 is pretty killer but I struggled putting side 2 together. I actually like Vertigo but Vertigo and Elevation are basically the same song and Elevation works better in context. I like Yahweh too put I couldn't figure out where to put it with Beautiful Day closing
>>
>>72625465
It is a great record. The B-sides are really interesting too. I wish they had switched one of those with fucking "Elvis Presley and America"
>>
>>72625510
Wide Awake in America is God-tier. Definitive versions of ASOH and Bad for me

U2 has always had a problem with leaving duds on the album in place of good b-sides. Holy Joe could have been on Pop in place of Miami or playboy mansion and there's a lot of interesting b-sides from ATYCLB
>>
U2's big, dumb, fun, self aware rock songs ranked:
Hold Me, Thrill Me >>>>> Elevation >>>> dogshite >>> Vertigo >>>>>>>>>> Boots
>>
>>72625617
hold me thrill me is as good as anything on AB desu
great tune
>>
>>72625465
Yes, it is their most well-crafted and consistent album
>>
>>72624590
>>72625440
surprised to see so much New York. That's the only song on ATYCLB that I think is bad instead of just forgettable
>>
>>72625042
I had never heard this and I really like it
>>
>>72625595
Yup. Just look at No Line on the Horizon, not only was it an album that "could have been", since a lot of the Morocco/Eno/Electronic-Ambient jam stuff got scrapped or majorly reworked into more stereotypical U2 style (because Bono was worried about the songs not being huge anthemic sing-a-longs in stadiums during the tour. And Bono starts worrying about the album not being a huge commercial success and the songs not being big mainstream hits so he writes 3 really generic pop and a Vertigo-lite attempt to replace the middle of the album.

For fuck's sake...
>>
>>72625042
I remember they played this when the band walked out on stage during the Elevation tour. Saw them twice in Atlanta at sold out Phillips Arena shows in March and November (I remember they added the second Phillips show and the rest of that second North American leg because there was still so much demand in other major cities, but even the ones that they had already played earlier that year. Crazy times.
>>
>>72625859
>>72625985
You forgot the )
>>
Is this a meme or not? I like U2 but can't help but feel that this is all a meme. Have you guys always been on /mu/ and just never talked about U2 or is this just newfags/memes. I know that you guys can't be from reddit. But why would U2 fans on /mu/ and only talk about them now?
>>
>>72626035
I've been on /mu/ since late 2010. I remember people went crazy when Pitchfork gave Achtung Baby a 9.5 (back when p4k dominated this board). This was right after the Smile release got a 10 and briefly became sub-/mu/core.
>>
>>72626035
There's certainly been a fair few discussion about them over the years, but I feel like /mu/ is divided into two camps: one who rates their early work highly or at least acknowledges it and the other who only know U2 from Bono being pompous, their latter work ("Vertigo" mainly), South Park, and that iTunes thing and hate them without any real knowledge of the band's older material.

I feel like the second camp is getting larger given that /mu/ always has been dominated by 15 - 19 year olds (who today, who have been born between 1998 and 2002), so their only real exposure to the band, if anything, is Vertigo, maybe South Park, and that iTunes debacle.

The iTunes thing really was a turning point on /mu/ where you couldn't discuss anything they had ever done without people bringing it up. That was the end of any civilized discussion about the band.

Now they've been back in the spotlight a bit more: a new reissue and tour around the 30th anniversary of their most famous album, working with Kendrick Lamar, headlining Bonnaroo, so discussion has been more frequent.

There was some guy, probably OP, trying to force the "U2-pill" meme a few months before all that, too, which of course serves to only isolate potential fans even more. Seriously, cut that shit out.
>>
>>72625985
They played a prerecorded version of Elevation along with playing it live?
>>
>>72626426
The remix of Elevation came out over the PA as they walked on, yeah. They played it for real during the show though.
>>
>>72626078
>late 2010.
Ok, I've been here since 13
>>72626227
>who today, who have been born between 1998 and 2002
I was born in 98. I found their catalog through coldplay/Brian eno

I've just always liked 80/90 U2. I still think that there's some memeing going on though
>>
>>72626227
I'm OP, the U2 pill guy is someone else, he was doing that before there was any U2 discussion on /mu/.
>>
>>72626568
>I've just always liked 80/90 U2. I still think that there's some memeing going on though
Probably to some extent, but i think most people in this thread are genuine fans.
>>
>>72626426
They did a thing where they started with the pre-recorded remix and transitioned into it live. Vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6YU2HRilSA
>>
>>72626588
Ok sorry. Fuck that guy though. The last thing U2 needs at this point is to be reduced to nothing more than yet another idiotic meme and spammed relentlessly on this board.

That's why we made the general, because somebody would make a U2 thread in earnest and then other people would start creating like 5 different "Vertigo" or Bono threads just to piss people off.
>>
>>72625859
This, UGH. Their one flaw. Bono (and to an extent the rest of the band) is desperate to stay 'relevant' or whatever, and so always writes try-hard pop songs that don't take off. U2 is a legacy band, that's what they are... can't expect a new album to be a new Joshua Tree every time, yet they do.
>>
So U2 have been rehearsing in Vancouver this past week (first show is on the 12th).

Here are the songs they've played so far:
"The Joshua Tree" in full
Mis Sarajevo (possible George Michael tribute)
Ultraviolet
Beautiful Day
New Years Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One
MLK
Love is Blindness
(new song)
Pride
City of Blinding Lights
Until The End of the World
The Electric Co.
Gloria

No word on if they'll play any JT b-sides or anything from Rattle and Hum, which would seem obvious, imo. I'd also l like to see something from Boy or Pop. Hopefully they leave out a lot of the 2000s material honestly ("Vertigo" in particular).
>>
>>72626711
This. The thing that made them so great in the first place is that they got famous on the strength of their live shows and the songwriting. They just made the music they wanted to, not making music they feel like they HAVE to make in a specific formula in order to sound good in stadiums, or appeal to a certain type of fans, or fit in with Top 40 pop music and appeal to the kids and the masses.
>>
>>72626568
>thirteen year olds talking about music
No wonder this place is shit
>>
>>72626818
It's always been shit. It's just more shit now thanks to shitposting and waifu nonsense and memes being absolutely out of control.

When I first came here back in high school, I was actually looking to explore and discuss music. That first year I really immersed myself in a whole world of music I never really knew about before. I feel like a lot of kids on this board just spammed shitty XXXtentacaion "JUST" memes and other nonsense.
>>
>>72626872
>When I first came here back in high school, I was actually looking to explore and discuss music
People like this arent able to discuss music though
>>
>>72626756
Strong collection. Really surprised to see MLK on there.

Hope Bad and 40 appearances. That and All I Want Is You, would seem obvious like you said.
>>
>>72626818
>thirteen year old
Do some math in 2013 I was 15/16. And besides I almost never posted. I just checked out /mu/ core and shit people posted
>>
>>72627037
>I was 15/16
14/15. Well Shit, I can't do math...
>>
>>72626227
I am the U2-pill guy. It was good for the board man, it actually got people to listen to them. Then they did the song with Kendrick which was perfect timing. I did it as a reaction to the guy making Oasis-pill threads. I thought people should be pilled on a much better band. I see a lot of the new U2 discussion as a by product of that wok so sue me.
>>
>>72626756
A Sort of Homecoming was rehearsed too I believe. Really happy to see some "deeper" stuff, I assumed TJT side 2 would fill the "for the fans" quota and the rest would be hits
>>
>>72627347
Excited about this. The last time they played it was around 2001 when they invited a fan on stage to play with them, and he forced them into playing it. Bono forgot all the lyrics. The story is cool though:

https://www.atu2.com/news/like-a-song-a-sort-of-homecoming.html
>>
File: u2-popmart-stage2-wall-1280.jpg (199KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
u2-popmart-stage2-wall-1280.jpg
199KB, 1280x1024px
Best tour.
>>
>>72626756
Why the hell can't they just play 80s shit? It's The Joshua Tree tour, if you plan on going you should know the album. You don't need Beautiful Day and City of Blinding Lights.
>>
>>72627731
I'm surprised to see Ultraviolet on their too. Doesn't fit in with jack shit on that list.
>>
>>72627711
nah, pop/popmart were the signal that the whole satirical concept they were running on during the early/mid-90s was starting to run out of steam
though in retrospect it was the last time that they at least tried to do something genuinely interesting as opposed to just being a generic arena rock band
>>
I love their OK Computer album.
>>
File: 1484181512021.gif (414KB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
1484181512021.gif
414KB, 480x287px
>>72627711
>Popmart somehow better than ZooTV
kys
>>
>>72627940
Why does /mu/ judge U2 by hits and not Radiohead? You would think that /mu/ wouldn't care about pop status
>>
>>72627711
Good tour? Sure. Best? No.
See: >>72627924

Also Bono's voice was shot during that era.
>>
>>72628031
Why does /mu/ respond to obvious bait instead of ignoring them? You guys know that sends a stronger message right?
>>
Was the last album the point at which U2 became a legacy band for good or are they still capable of doing something to re-assert themselves as being just as relevant as they were in the mid-80s/early 90s/early-to-mid 00s?
>>
>>72628120
No... last album was them still trying to shake being a legacy act, they literally thought it would make them relevant again, esp. with the itunes thing.

God I hope the new one won't have the same pretension.
>>
>>72628049
Zoo TV > Vertigo Tour > Popmart
>>
>>72628031
Because between the mid 90s and today, Radiohead went from mediocre band with a shitty meme single to a much better and more interesting one later on, while U2 did the exact same thing, but in reverse. Compare the career paths of both of these bands in the past 15 years and that's really all that most /mu/tants were exposed to.
>>
>>72628226
You'd think with Wikipedia and free music everyone would know everything about these bands. For a board about music, many of its posters know next to nothing about it.
>>
>>72628120
bands with serious creative ambitions for the future usually don't base their tours around anniversaries of 30-year old albums
i reckon the next album is gonna make or break U2's relevance for the 2010s/2020s
though it's worth saying that they did already escape near-certain legacy status twice, first after rattle and hum bombed and then after pop bombed
>>
>>72628120

Honestly the last time U2 was truly relevant was the Atomic Bomb era from 2004 - 2007:

U2 was still able:
>to get Top 40 hits in America and Number 1 singles in the UK as well as number 1 hits on alternative and mainstream rock radio
>receive extensive airplay on pop/Top radio
>have a multi-million selling album
>sweep the Grammy awards
>have decent critical acclaim across the board (even Pitchfork was suprisingly positive)
>prominent references to the band/Bono in media were still really commonplace (the movie Taken, South Park obviously, Entourage, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office etc.) as well as having their music soundtrack a shit ton of movies and tv shows

I remember Vertigo broke the record for most iTunes downloads in a single week. It would have gone Top 20, maybe even Top 10 but the Hot 100 didn't count digital downloads as legitimate sales until a year later.

By the No Line era, yeah they were able to score a Top 40 single with Boots, sell a million records, get a huge promotional rollout from the BBC and David Letterman, and even a Grammy nod, but this was all just goodwill leftover from that prior era. "Boots" was a horrible song and terrible lead single choice and pissed away the prospects of the album being received well critically or commercially. It was set in stone. The album itself was a mixed bag that the band had struggled to put together for 3 years which didn't help matters.

Sure the 360 tour was the highest grossing tour of all time, but once the album had been out for a few months, pretty much all the new stuff barring Magnificent went down like a rock. The crowds didn't give a shit and most probably hadn't even heard the new record. This was a huge change from every tour they had done before.
>>
>>72628434
Damn, I'd never seen it like that. First time touring behind an album people didn't care about.

I wonder if there's just a general line in a band's career you move past when people don't care about any new music you put out? I certainly don't have much love for anything on SOI, as much as I wanted to like it.
>>
>>72628609
>I wonder if there's just a general line in a band's career you move past when people don't care about any new music you put out?
That's exactly how it works. They are a legacy band now, like the Chili Peppers, Metallica, Radiohead, etc. Doesn't matter if anything good ever comes out again, it's all bonus.
>>
>>72628653
Radiohead's not quite there yet. They'll never have another mainstream hit, but they're still relevant for many a person attuned to "alt rock" and the "indiesphere"
>>
>>72628730
I understand that Radiohead is still relevant critically but I meant that they really don't need to release anything critically lauded ever again. They'll still sell out tours and headline festivals. In that sense they are totally a legacy band. Just consider the state of rock music for a moment. They are AAA and have been for a very long time
>>
>>72628653
It'll be interesting to see if they embrace being a legacy band and make their next tour Rattle and Hum 30th or if they go back to trying to have another hit

I think if they were 100% ready to be a legacy group they would have just dropped SOE a while ago instead of endlessly tinkering with it for 3 years with no end in sight
>>
>>72628730
Radiohead's getting really close, I think they have one more relevant album left in them. If they tour on the back of the OK Computer release, their time is coming sooner.
>>
>>72628844
>make their next tour Rattle and Hum 30th

Rattle And Hum was seen as a pretty huge misstep for them at the time so I doubt it. It was to The Joshua Tree what Pop was to the Zoo era.
>>
>>72628949
This. Hell even Zooropa has been relegated to simply a bonus disc on the Achtung reissue.

I could see them doing an Achtung 30th tour (hopefully not another reissue though, as there's not much else in the vaults they could even include) but no more anniversary specific ones after that.
>>
>>72624729
Go to hell Bono.
>>
>>72629568
Chill out
>>
>>72629710
Fuck you fag
>>
>>72629752
Kiss me homo
>>
>>72629010
Zooropa needs its own fully fledged reissue
>>
>>72627694
video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0UBecHIR3Y
>>
These fucking threads are going to ruin U2 on /mu/ forever. Ease back. Discuss them naturally.
>>
>>72630180
Isn't that what we're doing? We're trying to be normal about it as possible (except for that one U2 pill memespammer guy). It's just a general thread that we do every several days or so to talk about the band, especially because they're about to go out on tour again and release unheard material.
>>
>>72625350
new years day is their only good song desu
>>
>>72630337
Sunday Bloody Sunday though
>>
>>72627694
Can Bono still hit the high notes in that song? I wonder how they'll handle that
>>
>>72626078
I've been here since like 2008 or something obscene at this point, and holy FUCK has it been the most annoying thing to ever find a U2 discussion here. Not only is it really rare but 9/10 times it's filled with YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH, or iTunes shitposting. That brief period where AB got a 9.5 for the reissue was okay but there's just so little discussion despite almost everything they released through Pop being a huge influence on most /mu/core from the 90s.
>>
>>72630569
He's sounding pretty good in rehearsals, though he's not hitting the high notes in lines like "No spoken words / Just a scream".
Though various reports from spectators at BC Place say he's trying to play it safe with his voice before show.

However, they are playing New Year's Day in a lower key and it sounds really odd.
>>
So rehearsals started up about an hour ago. Here's what they've played so far:

Running to Stand Still
Trip Through Your Wires
Miss Sarajevo
Miss Sarajevo again
A Sort of Homecoming
A Sort of Homecoming again
I Still Haven't Found partial
>>
>>72631057
No Womanfish yet? Lame.
>>
>>72631085
Ha. I do wonder if they ever recorded that as a demo and what else there is in the vaults.

From the new reissue it doesn't look like much....
:(
>>
>>72631057
Have they played bad at all?
>>
>>72631519
This thread is pretty cringey desu
>>
>>72631519
Not yet
>>
>>72631613
>This thread is pretty cringey desu
Why?
>>
>>72631119
There likely is, they record damn near everything at some point. Definitely, they aren't proud of that song.
>>
>>72631742
Okay, ITT we post good unreleased demos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiqmcKrZROY
>>
>>72620809
WHEN ARE THEY TOURING AUSTRALIA
>>
>>72624033
The curse of successful artists is they lose hunger, necessity as they become successful.
>>
>>72632276
Probably not until the new album tour (they say it's supposedly going to come out this year, but we've heard that line before...)

However, it it does in fact come out sometime later this year, that means we can probably expect the tour to start anywhere from 3 - 6 months after that.

I'd say probably not until the second half of next year at the earliest. They tend to do at least 1 - 2 European legs and 1 North American leg before heading to Oceania.

So let's say the album comes out in October, as 5 other U2 albums have. That means the tour would probably start sometime in the new year. Probably not right after christmas, so more like February, March, even into April when it gets a bit warmer (as this will most likely be a stadium tour, though they may do arenas too...)

So factoring in a couple Euro and a US leg could be anywhere from 3 - 6 months, so latter half of the year.

U2 historically have started touring Oceania between October and February so I would say that's a pretty safe bet.

So yeah, if all goes according to schedule, earliest would be late 2018/early 2019.
>>
>>72627731
>Why the hell can't they just play 80s shit? It's The Joshua Tree tour, if you plan on going you should know the album. You don't need Beautiful Day and City of Blinding Lights.
Are you serious? This is their most popular album ever. There are going to be tons of normies and casual U2 fans in attendance who are going to want to hear the hits, even the dreadful new stuff.
>>
>>72625659
Consistent is definitely not a word I would use to describe The Unforgettable Fire
>>
>>72632584
Thanks
>>
>>72632584
The April 2017 issue of MOJO magazine is hitting stores and has a lot of information and quotes about Songs Of Experience. The article says the album is still planned for release in the second half of 2017, with the I+E tour to resume in spring 2018. Adam is quoted as saying U2 is about 85 percent finished, and needs to cut down from 15-16 songs to 12 for the album. The band will work with Steve Lillywhite next month (March) at Electric Lady Studios in New York City. In addition to some "tinkering" (Bono's word) on songs to reflect the current political climate, Adam says there are musical reasons the album isn't finished.

Honestly, this could be a real disaster of an album. The fact that U2 doesn't even finish their tour until August make me think that it's going to get pushed back more.

Also, the I+E tour has been all arenas (similar to Elevation Tour) where they do multiple nights.

They may very well end up repeating what they did for Elevation, and not tour outside of NA and Europe in 2018/2019 because it's an arena only tour.
>>
File: u2-registrano-rattle-and-hum.jpg (77KB, 625x473px) Image search: [Google]
u2-registrano-rattle-and-hum.jpg
77KB, 625x473px
So... Is the new album coming out this year or not?
>>
Kill yourselves.
>>
>>72634119
So they say, but I wouldn't take their word when it comes to release dates
See:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/960737/u2-songs-of-ascent-album-preview

Also, I'm worried that if they're going to fuck the new album up or that it's going to be terrible pandering for relevancy garbage. Especially if they start playing stadiums next tour, I don't want them to start writing songs with that in mind because then they'll all turn into generic crap designed for casuals to yell along too.

Or worse they try to jump on some new trend.

If SoI was them looking back at their early days and coming out with a fairly uninteresting record marred by a terrible release, I hate to see what their "experience" record will sound like given the last 19 years of U2's output. Plus, it will no doubt feature some shoehorned political nonsense lacking any sort of subtlety at all.

U2 are at two strikes in a row now...
>>
>>72634246
Well that's a bit rude
>>
>>72634246
why
>>
>>72634119
there were 5 years between HTDAAB and NLOTH and then another 5 between that album and SOI

i won't be surprised if that "tinkering" goes on for another year at least
>>
File: 803.png (149KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
803.png
149KB, 625x626px
>>72634246
>>
>>72634259
Why do they even try to write big stadium sized singalongs anymore? They have like 30 in their catalog at this point. Do those. Put interesting shit on the albums. Stuff for the fans, stuff you can't do live. It's not hard.
>>
>/mu/ has matured into liking U2
holy fuck what
>>
>>72634448
U2 have been falling over themselves trying to cling to relevance so hard that they're butchering their credibility. By this point I'm not anticipating their new album at all. If they surprise me, great. But I'm not holding my breath.
>>
>>72632642
Agreed. The overall sound is some of their greatest, but the albums ends much weaker than it starts. Wish they'd put *any* of the album's b-sides in place of Elvis Presley in America, and rounded things out to a good 11 tracks.
>>
>>72634246
you mad, little faget?
>>
>>72634530
Yeah, same boat. SOI was such a hard time for me because I wanted to like it so fucking much. A week after its release I finally admitted it sucked, and it felt like such relief to say it.

This being said. I can get down to some Raised by Wolves. And Every Breaking Wave was okay.
>>
posting on best /mu/ general
>>
>>72634530
This. They're still in the mindset of "We're a band that need to have Top 40 success, sell millions of records, and have the songs appeal to even the most casual fan at a stadium show", when the 360 tour proved that casual fans don't care about the new material anyway especially if it's not incredibly good and/or not popular enough where they would have heard it outside of seeking it out.

U2 are at the point where they COULD have one big, relevant hit single if they really wanted, but actually playing their cards right and do something that's not only QUALITY, but also different enough so that people will take notice while still being fairly accessible.

Of course they probably won't do this. If anything, what they'll do is make some horrible Beautiful Day/Vertigo hybrid feat. some flavor of the month rapper and pop singer, produced by Danger Mouse and Max Martin remixed by the Chainsmokers. And it will be panned and derided, and it will bomb because U2 are cluelessly trying to navigate a Top 40 landscape vastly different than it was even 10 years ago with a whole different generation of fans with a whole different set of tastes in an era where the music industry is also completely different than it was even 3-4 years ago.

And the accompanying album will be more of the same nonsense, plus Trump references or some "topical" bullshit.

And it will get ethered by critics and most fans across the board or downright ignored and end up far below their commercial expectations.

And they'll do their worldwide stadium tour and the hardcore fans and casuals and everyone's cousin and generally uncouth masses will show up in ridiculous numbers. And they'll play the new stuff, and the hardcore and casual fans won't like it and the masses won't like it. It will just be bathroom break time. The classics will be received just fine, as usual.
>>
>>72626035
It has to be a meme. I don't know where they came from but this has to be a raid. /mu/ can't just do a 180 and act like nothing happened
>>
>>72634615
>And Every Breaking Wave was okay.
The live version they did on the 360 tour in 2010 was pretty good WIP.

But of course in the studio they get up to their "tinkering" and change the whole fucking chorus and rewrite lines and try to drum it up into this "anthemic hit single" material. But it just falls flat when they try to force it.
>>
>>72634755
>It has to be a meme. I don't know where they came from but this has to be a raid
Nope. I've been on /mu/ since 2010. You're clearly too young to remember the aftermath of Pitchfork giving a U2 record a 9.5.

Also, you're probably too young to remember that U2 actually had a career long before iTunes, Vertigo, and Bono's discovery of sunglasses. They started out life as a post-punk group in the 1970s and their 80s and 90s records were hugely acclaimed and highly influential.
>>
>>72634808
>acclaimed
By who exactly? Also that means nothing.

>influential
To shitty pop bands maybe, but any artists /mu/ likes? I think not.
>>
>>72634742
>do something that's not only QUALITY, but also different enough so that people will take notice while still being fairly accessible

this is what NLOTH could have been. Experimental stuff with some cool hits. Magnificent and the title track could have been huge singles but Get On Your Boots burnt out everybody

The fans just want to hear them making something that sounds inspired instead of calculated
>>
>>72634855
>this is what NLOTH could have been. Experimental stuff with some cool hits.
Well the finished product wasn't all THAT experimental save for a few elements of certain songs or interludes or use of field records/ambience in conjunction with tracks that are pretty U2-ey at the core. Most of that experimental stuff from the Eno Morocco sessions ended up drastically reshaped or just scrapped completely. But honestly the album the way it ended up + Winter and - the middle 3 tracks (you know which one I'm talking about) with Magnificent as the lead single would have been good enough honestly.

And then they could have released slightly tweaked edits of the original Eno jam session stuff as an accompanying EP or companion album during the tour (a la Zooropa) without it being a "major U2 album release" or having to have a single from it.

But they didn't.
>>
>>72634836
>but any artists /mu/ likes?
Radiohead and Kanye for one
>>
>>72634940
"I Wonder" was Kanye's attempt to write a rap version of "City of Blinding Lights" after opening for U2 on the Vertigo tour

pretty cool
>>
>>72634836
> By who exactly?
For starters, Pitchfork, who's given every single one of their albums from Boy to Achtung Baby an 8/10 or better (except October, which everyone agrees is a weak album).

Lou Reed, Radiohead, Elbow, Smashing Pumpkins, Leonard Cohen, Simple Minds, Negativland (obviously), Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash, Oasis, The Killers, countless others name them as a huge influence.
>>
>>72635034
>Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash, Lou Reed
What?
>>
>>72635034
>>72635051
>Leonard Cohen
>>
>>72635051
Johnny Cash was ON a fucking U2 song
>>
>>72634925
Agreed. Add "Soon" to the album as well.

I'll Go Crazy is one of the most boring songs of all time. I'm so glad they went with the remixed version during the tour, nearly saved it.
>>
>>72635063
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpLBtWG3JR4
>>
File: Screenshot (4).png (221KB, 1209x530px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (4).png
221KB, 1209x530px
>>72635083
from the first /u2/

makes it into a great little album
>>
>>72635067
>>72635100
>influence
>>
U2 need to seperate themselves from the corporate process of the promotion/lead single/hit album/stadium tour in support of the album cycle at some point and just make and release music when they want to without the burden of worrying about extensive market and promo and radio play and sales and charts and all that bullshit and then, if they want to play the songs live (theater, arena gigs?, live streaming fan club gig) for the fans, that's cool. Or they can just intermittently tour stadiums playing the hits and ignore the new stuff if it doesn't really work live in that setting.

After this next album I hope they realize that their new music will never recapture the attention of the general public like they once did, but that they have a big enough fanbase where they could just put out new music unannounced (no fucking gimmicks though, christ) without having to resort to months of prep and promotion and it would sell/stream well enough to earn them a profit simply because of that fanbase no matter how "out there" the music was.

They seem too worried about the legacy of their band and its discography to take risks anymore, but frankly they haven't had a truly great album since 1993 so that rationale isn't really valid. The canon of classic U2 albums (and good, but not quite classic albums) has long been established in the minds of the fans but also the general public anyway. That will never change and they will never truly be able to add onto it, only detract by poorly imitating their best daysl. Best case scenario is they pull a Dylan and wind up with a Time Out of Mind somewhere down the road which would be cool
>>
>>72635051
In the latter part of their careers, this is definitely true.

Obviously Lou Reed wasn't listening to U2 in 1967.
>>
>>72635067
He's covered a few U2 songs as well, but I don't know how much of an influence they really had on him. I guess during the American Recordings era, but that's only a small fraction of his career so it's not that substantial.
>>
>>72635116
I like this! Might use the album version of Breathe, though, despite how cool the Mandela version is.
>>
>>72635143
>Obviously Lou Reed wasn't listening to U2 in 1967.
You don't know that
>>
>>72635184
:)
>>
>>72635116
Yeah, this version is pretty solid. Although I found that I don't like the album quite as much as I did before.

Still, though, I would KILL for a release of that 2007 Eno/Lanois stuff. I remember they used to post video updates on U2.com of stuff that sounded great, but of course none of it made it onto the album.

The production too I find a little bit distracting. It's not as bad as Bomb was, but it just sounds a bit muddy/messy in a way that bogs down several tracks.
>>
>U2 subsequently began working with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois in May 2007.[7] Bono, who had accepted an invitation to the World Sacred Music Festival in Fez, Morocco, invited his fellow band members to attend.[2][8] Bono also invited Eno and Lanois, hoping they would collaborate with the band as full songwriting partners in recording an album of "futuristic spirituals" or "future hymns"—songs that would be played forever.[8][9] For two weeks, U2, Eno, and Lanois rented the riad of the hotel Riad El Yacout in Fez and turned it into a makeshift recording studio, occasionally recording with an oud player and local percussionists.[7][10][11][12]
>>
>Recording during the festival exposed the group to Hindu and Jewish music, Sufi singing and Joujouka drums. The exotic influences inspired them to pursue a more experimental sound.[8][11][13] Clayton said the music they heard in Fez "had a primitivism ... but there was an other-worldly feel, there was that connection with that Arabic scale."[8] Eno insisted that drummer Larry Mullen, Jr. use an electronic drum kit.[9] The band described many of the tracks conceived in these sessions as unsuitable for radio airplay or for playing live.[8] The open-air riad allowed the group to hear birdsong, as captured in the introduction to "Unknown Caller".[14] The songs "Moment of Surrender", "White as Snow", "No Line on the Horizon" and "Unknown Caller" were written at this time; each track was recorded in one take.[12] In total, the band recorded approximately 10 songs during the two weeks.[7] The Edge said of their time with Eno and Lanois in Fez, "it became very clear almost immediately that this was gonna be a very fruitful experiment." He called it "a very freeing experience" that "reminded [him] in many ways of early on and why [they] got into a band in the first place. Just that joy of playing."[2] When the topic of who would produce the record was broached, Lanois suggested, "[the album is] kind of producing itself, so let's just go with the people we have", cementing him and Eno in the roles.[9]
>>
After leaving Fez, the band recorded in Hanover Quay Studios in Dublin, Platinum Sound Recording Studios in New York City, and Olympic Studios in London.[11][16][17] Steve Lillywhite was brought in to produce a few tracks during these subsequent sessions. In pre-release interviews, U2 compared the extent of their expected shift in musical style to that of Achtung Baby.[9][18] The band scaled back these experimental pursuits, however; Mullen, Jr. noted, "at a certain stage, reality hits, and you go, 'What are we gonna do with this stuff?' Are we going to release this sort of meandering experimentation, or are we gonna knock some songs out of this?"[8] Bono shared this opinion, stating, "We went so far out on the Sufi singing and the sort of ecstatic-music front, that we had to ground it and find a counterpoint."[8] Eno commented that many of "the more contemplative and sonically adventurous songs" had been dropped, attributing the lack of African-inspired music to its sounding "synthetic" and unconvincing when paired with other songs.[4][15][19][20]
>>
>Lillywhite believed that the African influences had not translated well onto the album, remarking: "It's a pity because the whole idea of Morocco as a big idea was great. When the big idea for U2 is good, that is when they succeed the most, but I don't think the spirit of what they set out to achieve was translated. Something happened that meant it did not come across on the record."[129] The Edge concurred, admitting that the group erred by "starting out experimental and then trying to bring it into something that was more accessible". He added, "I think probably we should have said, 'It's an experimental work. That's what it is.'"[130] Mullen refers to the album as "No Craic on the Horizon" and said, "It was pretty fucking miserable. It turns out that we're not as good as we thought we were and things got in the way."[131]
>>
>Brian Eno: "... none of that [experimental music] really appeared on the record ... because it sounded kind of synthetic. It sounded kind of like 'world music' add-on. I'm sure it would have got a few people saying, oh, how interesting, they've broken out into North African music, but actually it just didn't sound convincing. We were very impressed by the music while we were there, but there was no realistic or emotionally satisfying way of marrying it using the music that we were doing, so in the end not very much of it at all showed through."
>>
>>72634246
B.E.H.A.V.E. yourself.

>>72628845
It's just a party is the natural life cycle of any successful live musical act desu. Eventually you get to a saturation point where your have so much good to great material in your back catalog that you can maintain setlist equilibrium indefinitely. Imo U2 reached that point with ATYCLB, and I'd also say that Radiohead look to be on course to reach that point with their next album.
>>
>>72620809
1. Beautiful Day
2. Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
3. Elevation
4. Love and Peace or Else
5. Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
6. City of Blinding Lights
7. In a Little While
8. One Step Closer
9. All Because of You
10. Walk On
11. Grace
>>
Lads we could have gotten the neo-U2 equivalent of a TUF or Achtung or Zooropa or Passengers, but instead we gotten a decent neo-U2 with some ambient gurgles, electronic squelches done in the Arabic scale on top plus 3 absolutely embarrassing attempts at writing modern day Top 40 pop that essentially ended the band's career as hitmakers and the wealth of acclaim they had received since their comeback.

Where did it all go wrong? Will that early material ever see the light of day?
>>
>>72635661
>>72635729
I believe this is the material that would have been released as Songs of Ascent in 2010? I think they occasionally still vaguely talk about releasing it someday
>>
>>72635137
Agreed
>>
>>72635678
This. Not to mention, they're in that "we take 5 years between each album stage" that U2 entered at the start of the last decade. Their creative abilities are slowing down. Not only are they not cranking out classics like they used to, but they haven't had a truly great record in a decade (and I would argue it doesn't quite stand up to the likes of OKC or Kid A).

The King of Limbs was a major disappointment for many and showed the band struggling (after 5 years, the best they could come up with was 8 tracks and 35 minutes of okay, but not really outstanding electronic-based songs).

Quite frankly, AMSP, while a step up from TKOL and acclaimed by both fans and critics, doesn't quite stack up to the Bends - In Rainbows run of records. And frankly I feel like outside of a handful of tracks, the songs won't have too much longevity.

They seem to be getting close to the bottom of that barrel of creativity. They're about to hit 50 (Phil turns 50 in a few weeks) and on this new record a large number of the songs were 5, 10, 15, 20 year old leftovers from other album sessions (also the album's track listing was literally just all the tracks in alphabetical order). They're not phoning it in yet, but the signs are there. Hell the bonus disc was just the rejected James Bond track they released the previous year and one new track "Ill Wind".

Compare that to the In Rainbows which had a 25 minute bonus disc of additional material released in addition to the album. Or even during the King of Limbs era, the band released 6 songs as standalone singles.

Now they're promoting a big deluxe edition remaster/reissue of OK Computer this year. Sounds a lot to me like they're quickly approaching legacy act status. How much longer they stay relevant outside their hardcore fanbase remains to be seen...
>>
>>72635909
>not liking The King of Limbs
pleb. I wish U2 did something half as good as TKOL. Bono really wants his top 40 song
>>
>>72635718
wooops, #5 should be Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
>>
>>72636008
>using a retarded meme term like 'pleb' unironically
>expecting to be taken seriously
>>
>>72635718
>>72636031
nah, I've always thought the main problem with ATYCLB is not enough Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of. I think you could put it on two or three more times honestly

I'm surprised everyone put Grace as the closer over Yahweh. They're both kind of the same track but Yahweh is clearly the better in my opinion
>>
>>72636008
>I wish U2 did something half as good as TKOL
It's not even that it was all that bad, it was just so clearly a step down in quality from IR.
>>
RANK EM, BOYS

Joshua Tree > Achtung Baby > Zooropa > Passengers > Unforgettable Fire > War > NLOTH > Boy > Pop > Songs of Innocence > ATYCLB > October > Rattle & Hum > HTDAAB

It's worth noting I deleted the middle three tracks from NLOTH.
>>
>>72636008
wish granted plebbo
https://youtube.com/watch?v=yFWk18abWWA
>>
>>72627322
>I am the U2-pill guy. It was good for the board man, it actually got people to listen to them. Then they did the song with Kendrick which was perfect timing. I did it as a reaction to the guy making Oasis-pill threads. I thought people should be pilled on a much better band. I see a lot of the new U2 discussion as a by product of that wok so sue me.

God the Oasis pill was stupid. And this is from someone who likes most of the stuff they did in the 90s and tolerates a handful of singles and album tracks they did after. But yeah, they're not on the same level as U2 at all.

My advice though would be to not do the "U2-pill" anymore.
>>
Achtung>War>Joshua>Unforgettable>Zooropa>Boy>ATYCLB>Pop>HTDAAB>Rattle>October>Innocence>NLOTH
>>
>>72636100
>>72636133

Achtung Baby
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Zooropa
Pop
War
Boy
No Line on the Horizon
Rattle and Hum
Songs of Innocence
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
October
All That You Can't Leave Behind

I like Pop a lot. If we can delete tracks NLOTH and Rattle both move above Boy
>>
>>72636159
>I like Pop a lot
I do too but I'm so bummed out it was never finished. It could have been great, but they rushed it so they could tour on Popmart with an album already released.
>>
>>72625617
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Elevation
The Miracle
Vertigo
Get On Your Boots
>>
>>72636256
>The Miracle
Honestly I don't even know what that one sounds like. Only songs I remember from SOI are Volcano, Raised By Wolves, and Every Breaking Wave.
>>
>>72636103
I haven't made a U2-pill thread in months. Why would I? The board has taken the pill. I want to pill people on Sublime next but I don't think it will work
>>
>>72625350
>the joke
>your head
>>
What is their best song and why is it Running to Stand Still?
>>
>>72636102
He means this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YaGR8ZX9Zo
>>
>>72636058
One on one, Yahweh's a better song. Problem is Yahweh has the same anthemic rock sound that many of the other 'included' tracks have, so you gotta put Grace in as a change of pace. Otherwise the only chill track is One Step Closer.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 224x224px
>This thread
>>
>>72636100

Boy
The Unforgettable Fire
War
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
Original Soundtracks 1
No Line on the Horizon
How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Zooropa
Pop
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Rattle and Hum
October
Songs of Innocence
>>
>>72636529
(and yeah, this is with -3 on NLOTH, and ignoring any tracks with "Elvis" in the name)

And just because Achtung is #4 doesn't meant I don't like it - tried to rank things close to how often I go back and listen to it, and I just don't find myself spinning Achtung that often.
>>
>>72636348
That song makes me want to cry, it's so good
>>
>>72624033
Aka Tool
>>
>>72625712
I'm a sucker for breakbeats, and when they leave the mix the band just lays into the song with such energy. My actual favorite off the album because of this.
>>
>>72620809
>combine All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb into a single 8/10+ album

shit + shit = shit. Sorry but it's the truth
>>
File: 1936790[1].jpg (14KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1936790[1].jpg
14KB, 500x500px
This bad boy deserves more appreciation
>>
>>72636314
>I want to pill people on Sublime next but I don't think it will work
Please don't. That is a terrible idea.
>>
>>72636567
>>72636348
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHZn7ZCahNk
>>
File: historians2017.png (654KB, 590x635px) Image search: [Google]
historians2017.png
654KB, 590x635px
i just had to see this mess for myself.
>>
>>72636688
My uni's library had this DVD in their collection and I checked it out once. The librarian told me to have a nice day, and I replied "you too". I've never wanted to violently kill myself more than that moment ever before or ever since.

Good film though. Electric Co live is goat.
>>
File: BywCES9IMAAY9b8.jpg (32KB, 600x446px) Image search: [Google]
BywCES9IMAAY9b8.jpg
32KB, 600x446px
>>72636763
you like U2 don't you squidward
>>
Bono is a fat cunt.
/thread
>>
File: kid-computer-wallpaper005.jpg (13KB, 275x301px) Image search: [Google]
kid-computer-wallpaper005.jpg
13KB, 275x301px
>>72636834
>>
>>72636763
t. only heard vertigo
>>
I know it's obvious, but who's excited to hear this live for the first time!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLvpZwN9Oko

The '2017' version they released was really respectful to the original. I was impressed.
>>
>>72636943
i am
>>
I've only ever listened to Achtung Baby and I really like it. What should I listen to next?
>>
File: 1493560093631.png (898KB, 800x983px) Image search: [Google]
1493560093631.png
898KB, 800x983px
>>72636834
>>
>>72636969
Zooropa is the continuation of that sound.

I also recommend the Unforgettable Fire, War, and The Joshua Tree in that order.
>>
Rank Joshua Tree.

Where The Streets Have No Name
Running to Stand Still
Bullet the Blue Sky
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
One Tree Hill
Trip Through Your Wires
Mothers of the Disappeared
With or Without You
In God's Country
Red Hill Mining Town
Exit
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>72637027
>Exit
>last
>>
>>72636969
Zooropa. But think of it as more of any add on to Achtung. After that try original soundtracks
>>
>>72636969
What >>72637025 said. I'd also check out their album under the name Passengers if you're into weirder shit / Brian Eno indulgences.

Achtung Baby has classic b-sides too, here's a few:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ4yiUOB0pc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JyRMD_iHs4
>>
>>72636479
I feel it as well
>>
>>72635137
Spot on right here.
>>
>>72637027

One Tree Hill
Red Hill Mining Town
Where The Streets Have No Name
Trip Through Your Wires
With or Without You
Running to Stand Still
In God's Country
Exit
Bullet The Blue Sky
>>
Hope this thread survives the night
>>
>>72622614
>>72626756
Rehearsals May,2nd
>Several sessions occurred with lengthy breaks in between. Some of the earlier/shorter moments may have been the crew checking the sound system/fiddling with the effects, but the particularly lengthy one at the end was U2. Given the sessions before the last few tours some of what was practiced today will probably not make it to the final setlist, but this is what the band are considering right now. Spoilers are below the jump; huge thanks to PBear1979 for periscoping from his hotel room, and all the other fans who tweeted in during the day.
During the first session, U2 played Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, and With or Without You. New Year's Day, Bullet the Blue Sky, Exit, and Miss Sarajevo were also worked on but it is unclear for all four if it was the full song or just a portion of it.

The second session began with a bang; what appears to be a brand new song! Immediate speculation is that it is from Songs of Experience but that remains unknown for now. It appears to be called The Little Things That Give You Away, which was mentioned by the band in January and February 2017. We saw various people liken it to Love Is Blindness, Mercy, and Kite, but you can judge for yourself. This was followed by Red Hill Mining Town, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, and Bullet the Blue Sky. Later fans reported the guitar for One Tree Hill and the keyboards for Running to Stand Still.
Beginning with Bullet the Blue Sky, they ran through the rest of the Joshua Tree in sequence. Exit appears to utilize the same lighting as captured on Rattle and Hum and may have included a snippet of Van Morrison's Gloria. Mothers of the Disappeared sounded like the style done on Popmart with just Bono and Edge on electric guitar, It included the "El Pueblo Vencera" refrain. This was followed with Beautiful Day, Ultraviolet, One, Miss Sarajevo,
>>
>>72637238
May, 3

>
A Sort of Homecoming
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day (stopped and restarted)
MLK
Pride
Where the Streets Have No Name
With or Without You
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Trip Through Your Wires
One Tree Hill
Exit / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)

encore
Beautiful Day
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
One
Miss Sarajevo
>>
>>72637244
May,4

>
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
A Sort of Homecoming
MLK
Pride
With or Without You
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Trip Through Your Wires
One Tree Hill
Exit
Pride (end of song) - Where the Streets Have No Name (beginning of song)
Exit
>>
>>72637253
May,6
New Year's Day
A Sort of Homecoming
MLK
Pride
With or Without You
Bullet the Blue Sky / Black Dog (snippet)
Running to Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Trip Through Your Wires
One Tree Hill
Exit

encore:
Beautiful Day
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
One
Miss Sarajevo
New song
>>
guys their playing in Louisville and I can get tickets for like 40 bucks should i pull the trigger?
>>
>>72637293
Do it. I personally would love to see this tour
>>
>>72637302
My dad loves them and he goes to concerts with him all the time will probably buy two for us
>>
>>72637311
Cool. I hope you both have a great time.
>>
So we'll be doing a bonnaroo live stream thread right?
>>
>>72637320
thanks man, this is actually the best thread on /mu/ currently wow
>>
>>72637293
Why not. You only live once and U2 is one of the greatest live bands that's still active
>>
>>72637364
are they really? I love a lot of their records but have never seen them live? worth it?
>>
>>72637385
I saw 360º tour and I really loved I was into the feeling, it was a shame I had money to see I+E tour but I didn't want to make a huge travel I regret a little. I hope see them again in next years.
>>
>>72637385
Google it. U2 is known for their live shows. The best was zootv but that was all the way back in the 90s
>>
>>72637331
Definitely
>>
>>72637293
U2 is in my top 5 live performances
>>
>>72637331
Sounds fun
>>
File: u2_o_1039463.jpg (32KB, 500x512px) Image search: [Google]
u2_o_1039463.jpg
32KB, 500x512px
Bump
>>
>>72637385
Do it.
>>
>>72636943
It's one of my favorites. Not a big fan of the remix but what the hell, at least I'll get to hear it live
>>
>>72636100
Mines the same as yours except war > UF and Pop > Boy
>>
I love this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U3rY3fZ5vU
>>
>>72637027
Running to Stand Still
Bullet the Blue Sky
Exit
With or Without You
One Tree Hill
In God's Country
Red Hill Mining Town
Trip Through Your Wires
>>
File: U2 - Pop.jpg (510KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
U2 - Pop.jpg
510KB, 1000x1000px
Anyone else think Pop is really underrated?
>>
>>72639587
It's arguably their most spiritual album besides October, the contrast between its sound and lyrics is pretty interesting. I've always read it as an album about struggling with one's faith in increasingly secular times, portrayed from a couple different perspectives. It seemed like a natural progression from Zooropa's Stay/Daddy's Gonna Pay juxtaposed angel-and-devil-on-the-shoulder drug addict narrative.

I wish they could have finished it, I love the concepts they were playing with but it was undercooked I think and could have used a lot more polish. It's a shame no one gets it though, especially given the context of Popmart in its entirety. That entire era seems like people think it was mindless self indulgence but missed that it was more of less performance art in the form of irony layered over irony with an emotional sincerity at the center.
>>
>>72639587
Why did Miami make it but not Holy Joe?
>>
>>72639587
their 4 works in the 90s are their best albums, even I like a lot their 80s and current stuff.
>>
>>72639999
quads confirm
>>
>>72639999
I completely agree with this desu
>>
This thread is the best thing to happen to /mu/ in a long time.
>>
>>72641018
It definitely reminds me of the P4K Achtung Baby review, when /mu/ had several quality threads for a day similar to this.
>>
>>72636943
My favorite song on TJT. I'm driving to Kentucky for the tour so I'm hoping it'll carry a little extra weight there for a really special performance
>>
>>72639587
>>72639735

It's definitely due for a critical re-examination. I put it 6th on my list. The lyrical themes are my favorite on any U2 album, pretty insightful and genuinely prescient. It is too bad a few songs were left basically unfinished, but most of them were eventually remixed on singles/bestofs so you can cobble together a pretty strong version with a little work
>>
>>72642319
Is there a list of good remixes and fixed versions to patch it together? I've never heard any of the reworked versions before.
>>
>>72642358
the Best of 1990-2000 compilation has new mixes of Gone, Staring at the Sun, and Discotheque
single versions of Please, Last Night on Earth, and If God Will Send His Angels are different, believe there might be a few more
>>
>>72642484
Sweet, thanks anon!
>>
>>72637253
So does that mean Pride->Streets for the show?
>>
>>72639507
It's like this song birthed Oasis
>>
>>72642939
Well not really
>>
>>72636943
They actually did do it live a couple of times back during the JTT - iirc (pretty sure I have a bootleg of at least one in my collection.) But yeah, I'm definitely interested to see/hear what they make of it this time.
>>
>>72642537
The rest are divisive to me but the single versions of Please and If God Will Send His Angels are night and day better
>>
>>72644504
Surprisingly they've actually never played it in concert before because Bono could reach the high notes night after night.
>>
>>72625617
Vertigo > Hold Me >>>>> Elevation > a flaming sack of shit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Boots

When I was 13 and truly pleb I loved Vertigo and Boots equally. My love for Vertigo hasn't faded. It has a shit rep, but it's a rare perfect pop song that isn't taking itself seriously.
>>
>>72645193
I honestly enjoy Vertigo a little bit but the original version of that song was WAY better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1K0t0OhdT0
>>
>>72644893
Already knew that. They were going to release RHMT as a single (hence why there was a music video made for it) but the whole thing was shelved 'cuz of it not working out live. I looked it up and seems I was right - they DID perform it in soundcheck a couple of times back in '87, but no known recordings/bootlegs exist.
>>
>>72645326
>they DID perform it in soundcheck a couple of times back in '87, but no known recordings/bootlegs exist.

Yeah that makes sense. They do tend to soundcheck a fair amount of stuff that doesn't end up in the show.
>>
P O P M A R T
O
P
M
A
R
T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxngIpxYLdM
>>
NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH EVERYBODY TALK ABOUT
https://youtu.be/fxubuSwJcxE
>>
>>72645645
I remember my dad playing a Popmart bootleg CD on a road trip out in New Mexico through Santa Fe and Taos back in like 2003.

Good times.
>>
>>72645818
this was the one
>>
Happy birthday to Bono
>>
>>72646317
3 days early son
>>
Was ZooTV the greatest tour ever undertaken by a rock band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH8bnSQ8mR0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-XgdWdbvRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOdtBmlP9cQ
>>
>>72646992
>tfw never got to see ZooTV

At least 360 was great, but man ZooTV must have been a sublime experience.
>>
>>72647094
360 was indeed great especially the shows during the Achtung Baby reissue period.
>>
>>72647147
I got to see them in Nashville when they performed The Wanderer, it was pretty fucking fantastic.
>>
>>72647182
That's pretty cool!
>>
I'M WIDE AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE
>>
File: C-727WwXsAEEgr2.jpg (105KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
C-727WwXsAEEgr2.jpg
105KB, 640x1136px
Who's hyped?
>>
>>72628434
Underrated
>>72632236
Fuck, that is good,
>>
>>72647331
underrated what?
>>
Did anyone else get U2 vibes from that new LCD track?
>>
>>72647384
Call the Police? Yeah
>>
>>72645818
>>72645981
Here's a pro-shot video of the concert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efbUvMe2Ow
>>
>>72647461
Thanks so much! Sounds just like I remember.

Honestly, Popmart is so late 90s but in the best way.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqa6rITE24U

Never knew this existed
>>
Thread's almost dead boys. I say maybe let it rest for a little bit as so not to piss off /mu/ autists too much.

Unless something major happens, I say make one around Bono's birthday and then later in the week for the start of the tour.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6rODFKP1wY
>>
>>72647800
Yup. Let's discuss U2 organically, otherwise we will run out of juice and it won't be fun anymore
>>
>>72648069
Sounds good. Hopefully we get some interesting developments about the tour by Wednesday.

I'd love to discuss the upcoming reissue (pros and cons) and how it compares to past ones at some point too.

But yeah, let's keep it organic. It doesn't need to be a 24/7 thing. A one or two times a week (considering the amount of activity right now) should be good.

And no more forced memes too, that just riles people up.
>>
>>72648172
I'm just glad we can actually talk about U2 now. Before the pill it was impossible.
>>
>>72648172

we should do some u2 nostalgia talks at some point. i'd love what older memories other people have of the band/when they first got into them/live experiences

Also, UTU2TM too
>>
>>72648201
True. The pill has been swallowed. There's no need for any more U2-pills now, it would just be redundant.

Anyway, great thread guys. There was a lot of really cool discussion to be had (and minimal trolling/bait posts too which was nice). Let's do it again sometime soon...
>>
HOW LONG TO SING THIS SONG
>>
File: sunny pepe.jpg (39KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
sunny pepe.jpg
39KB, 540x960px
>>72648229
Sometimes /mu/ is nice to visit
>>
New /u2/ when?
>>
>>72648562
we have to go away and dream it all up again
>>
>>72648676
See you in two years
>>
>>72648562
Probably sometime tuesday night US time
>>
See you fags in a few days!
>>
thanks for the thread guys. I had fun
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.