[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Zappa, where should I start?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: FrankZappa.jpg (514KB, 900x878px) Image search: [Google]
FrankZappa.jpg
514KB, 900x878px
Zappa, where should I start?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MicM9CGxg-E
>>
>>72615877
Freak Out! obviously. Cruising with the Ruben and the Jets and his albums of guitar solos can be skipped. Also, don't skip Yellow Shark. It's Zappa's classical musical performed competently and it sounds the way he wanted it to sound.
>>
>>72615877
theres a chart

i say

1:we're only in it for the money
2 hot rats
3 apostrophe

if you don't like those, don't bother with anything else
>>
>>72615877
Just go through chronological order. Read about each album and skip the ones that were released with out his input.
Save Yellow Shark for last, it's quite emotional hearing Zappas music 'the way it was meant to be'.
>>
>>72615946
[2]

Exactly
>>
File: image.jpg (440KB, 1500x1601px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
440KB, 1500x1601px
>>72615877
If you want the extent of his talent as a guitarist, check out pic related or Hot Rats.
If you want the extent of his talent as a songwriter, check out Yellow Shark, Weasels Ripped my Flesh or Joe's Garage.
One Size Fits All was okay and his mastubatory guitar solo albums aren't that good.
>>
the toilet store
>>
>>72615877
>>72616347
It took me a while to get into Zappa, but Weasels Ripped My Flesh was the first one that clicked for me, so I'd recommend that
>>
>>72615933
wtf
literally the most overrated zappa albums
my list:
1. Freak Out!
2. Weasels ripped my flesh
3. Uncle Meat
>>
>>72615877
Apostrophe or Joe's Garage
Hot Rats if you want that sweet sweet musicianship
>>72616347
Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar is tight and Zappa's masturbatory guitar albums are fun imo
>>
Don't start
He's a right wing cunt
>>
File: 1489605326209.jpg (46KB, 354x286px) Image search: [Google]
1489605326209.jpg
46KB, 354x286px
>>72617021
go back to /pol/ with your bullshit ass boring politics that nobody cares about

right wing left wing who gives a shit? we are here for MUSIC not Trump. Fuck you for even mentioning politics, partypooper
>>
>>72617048
I just wanted a (You), thank you man.
>>
File: zappaography.png (2MB, 1750x2795px) Image search: [Google]
zappaography.png
2MB, 1750x2795px
Here's the breakdown
>>
my favorites are

1. sleep dirt
2. absolutely free
3. joe's garage.
>>
listen to Uncle Meat until you love it
>>
Zappa went through many lineups and sounds throughout his career and each person has his favorite so I'd say just go through his discography chronologically, picking one or two albums from every period. It's a lot to plow through but I mean he's a rock legend and while I find his music very hit and miss personally, when he's good he's fucking great.
>>
>>72619880
this one is a difficult one for me to wrap my head around honestly. i've listened to it a few times but i just don't get it. i don't hate it but i don't understand it either.
>>
>>72620068
It's an odd one, but it's my personal favorite Zappa album. I think it shows how versatile he was as a composer. Pop, rock. jazz, classical; its all there. He just lets it rip on that album
>>
dont
>>
>>72615877
Absolutely Free

If you like the prog rock jams check his solo stuff

If you like the satricial/weird aspects check out his Mothers stuff
>>
>>72615877
Freak Out!
Apostrophe(')
Hot Rats
The Grand Wazoo
One Size Fots All
Weasles Ripped My Flesh
We're Only in it for the Money
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.