[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you gotten your family into your music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 17

File: Hey_Anon.png (590KB, 734x706px) Image search: [Google]
Hey_Anon.png
590KB, 734x706px
Have you gotten your family into your music?
>>
I played TPAB for mom and she hated it
>>
I played TPAB for mom and she loved it
>>
I played TPAB for mom and she didn't care for it
>>
I played TPAB for mom and she loved it
>>
I played TPAB for mom and she loved it, it was my first time too.
>>
I played TPAB for mom and she kicked me out of the house
>>
>>72584736
I played TPAB for my mom, she called me a pleb
>>
I played TPAB for mom and she immediately fucked the nearest black man.
>>
I played TPAB for mom and she shot a policeman
>>
I played TPAB for my wifes son, he loved it
>>
I played TPAB for mom and she joined BLM and Antifa
>>
I played TPAB for my grandmother and she had a coronary
>>
I think there's something I'm not getting here.
>>
I played TPAB for grandmother until I realized she died 5 years ago
>>
I watched STVFOE with my mom and she forced me to listen TPAB
>>
>>72585177
Whats so funny? All these posts were true stories
>>
I wish my granddad was still alive to hear Sturgill Simpson, cause he would've loved it.
>>
I got my relatively normie mom into nick drake. Pink moon, no less.
>>
>>72585277
Almost forgot, also got her into arcade fire.
>>
>>72585277
I'm surprised you went straight with Pink Moon instead of something more accessible like Bryter Layter.
>>
>>72584736
I sometimes try to play music for them to see how they react and it's always "turn this garbage off", so now I don't do this anymore.
>>
Got mommy into of Montreal, foxy Shazam, Fun., against me!
>>
I used to play CDs for my dad when we went to hockey's games. His favorites were Amnesiac, Madvillainy, and 808s &a Heartbreak
>>
File: FB_IMG_1493929890259.jpg (287KB, 1505x1005px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1493929890259.jpg
287KB, 1505x1005px
>>72584736
I connect with my parents through dadrock, but God forbid I try to get them into anything new.
My brothers say my music is boring. They only listen to pop and meme music.
Pic related is kind of dated, but still accurate to my tastes
>>
>Mom
Got her into AnCo after showing her MPP

>Dad
Showed him Thee Oh Sees and King Gizzard and he plays it on the radio all the time

>Brother #1
Showed him Lightning Bolt and King Gizzard. Absolutely hated Lightning Bolt, but owns every Gizz album he could on vinyl.

>Brother #2
Showed him AnCo, Lightning Bolt, and A Tribe Called Quest and Loved them all. Still catch em humming the tune to 2 morro morro land

>Brother #3
Showed him TTNG, Wavves, and Ween. Loves em all, but hasn't listened to Ween and Wavves' earlier stuff

>Brother #4
Got him into Yowie, Swans, Lightning Bolt, Polvo, Slint, and a shit ton of other stuff.
>>
I introduced my sister to The B-52's and Janelle Monae but that's it.
>>
Bands I have played for parents that they enjoyed/got into

Mom:
Sufjan Stevens (Actually took her to C&L tour with me since out of all of my friends she was the most familar with his music)
Animal Collective (She even enjoyed some Spirit tracks)
Dan Deacon

Dad:
Nick Drake (he became more familiar with his music than I am)
The War on Drugs
>>
I got my dad into Starflyer 59. That's about the only overlap we have though.
>>
My Mum is fairly open minded and will listen to anything.

Things she has taken to: Dirty Three, The Decemberists, Built to Spill, Enables, Bjork, Pavement, Enablers, Marissa Nadler, Chelsea Wolfe, Neutral Milk Hotel, Joanna Newsom, Grizzly Bear. That's where I think her favourites lie but she claims to enjoy things like Unwound, TFUL282, Polvo, Slint, Comus, Exuma.

The only things I remember her not liking: Can - Tago Mago was "a bit weird" and she said King Gizzard were clearly trying a bit too hard to be kooky and were just "naff"

My Dad likes The Sensational Alex Harvey Band and various stuff from the 70s but generally doesn't listen to much music.

My Sister had every chance to get in to music. About 8 years ago when I was still living at home I went through a post-rock and math-rock phase binging on /mu/ sharethreads and listening to everything with those tags. She wasn't interested then but suddenly it;s 2016 and her new boyfriend was in to post-rock and math-rock and now she's the biggest fan ever :thinking:
>>
>>72585780
>Enablers
Damn that's a bit of a deep cut there. Super underrated band. I wish they were more well-known here but I feel like this board is against Slint-like bands.
>>
>>72585907
I've heard them mentioned here a couple of times over the years but definitely not as much as they should be brought up.
>>
>>72585376
hi herbie
>>
>>72584736
>Older Brother
Showed him Slint, he was moderately impressed
Showed him Death Grips, he hated them then loved them
>Younger Brother
only listens to classical, is too patrician for recs
>Dad
show him a lot of punk and post-hardcore bands, he likes them
>Mom
Death Grips, Hated it
Comus, Hated it
MBV, hated it
Radiohead, "why is everything they make so depressing"
>>
my mom is okay with harsh noise, but hates any sort of post-rock
>>
my mom has got a new car and she's super excited about it having an aux cord but she doesn't have any device with music on so she asks me to put my music on
I usually listen to metal but I try to play the most accessible shit I can
so far, she likes:
>black sabbath
>khemmis
>candlemass
>noname
>blues pills
>>
>Being so lonely you have to hang out with your parents

Jesus Christ
>>
My parents had only listened to boy-band era beatles and when I showed them tomorrow never knows they asked me how anyone could ever listen to this
>>
>>72586886
>Not doing stuff with your family

poor anon
>>
>>72586886
I can tell, just from this short sentence, that you are without question underage
>>
>>72584877
underrated
>>
>>72586886
>Not spending time with your mother before she dies

damn....
>>
>>72586914
If even Revolver is too much for them, you should try Rubber Soul.
>>
I played Illmatic for my brother and he liked it. He died in a bike accident two years ago. He probably would have loved Camp Cope though.
>>
File: feels guy.png (42KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
feels guy.png
42KB, 400x400px
>>72586886
It's not my fault for being an only child
>>
>>72584803
I played TBAP for my mom and she discovered my sissy fetish and raped me
>>
IM GOING TO SAY IT AGAIN I WANT TO FUCK STAR IN HER HEART SHAPED ASSHOLE
>>
>>72588073
This is a safe place. You can say anything about Star here.
>>
>>72584736
my mum got me into radiohead, flaming lips and pink floyd
>>
>>72588073
>not wanting to fuck jackie
just admit you have poor taste
>>
>>72588471
Does Jackie have a heart shaped asshole? Is Jackie the bubbliest 2D Western girl there is?
>>
>>72588513
jackie's not a cuck
>>
>>72584736
well more like they got me into music lol
>>
File: 1493034941854.png (54KB, 194x208px) Image search: [Google]
1493034941854.png
54KB, 194x208px
>tfw older brother that is that typical linkin park and radio enthusiast didn't EVEN liked the catchy songs of Nine Inch Nails, The Strokes, Radiohead or Nirvana

it's hopeless. Even my mom loved some of Neutral Milk Hotel, Nirvana and Radiohead's tunes
>>
>>72584736
My dad's a big punk fan and i tried to get him into post punk but only so far he's oh really cares for joy division.
>>
>>72589563
have him listen to wire and television
>>
File: star a qt.png (686KB, 984x956px) Image search: [Google]
star a qt.png
686KB, 984x956px
>>72584736

Why should I do that?
>>
File: 1520592.jpg (17KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
1520592.jpg
17KB, 280x280px
Yeah my kids love this
>>
>>72589587
Television he didn't care for and I also showed him chameleons but he thought it was boring.
>>
File: 1493850947346.png (397KB, 513x530px) Image search: [Google]
1493850947346.png
397KB, 513x530px
>>72589624
Because you'd get the chance to bond with your family more!
>>
got my mom into Radiohead (only songs from In Rainbows, The Bends, and a little bit from AMSP, but she really really loves those songs), Frank Ocean, and D'Angelo

got my dad into Talk Talk (he was fucking obsessed with them for a while after), the cool part is that he remembered them from their pop phase, but never even heard of Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden, which blew his mind. He also really loved Round and Round when I showed it to him.

dragged my brother (who studies music) to Radiohead and LCD Soundsystem concerts and he was really really impressed. Also got him into Dre and Biggie
>>
>>72589636
kek
>>
>>72585465
My mom loves Sufjan and we're gonna go see him together. Twins?
>>
Showed my mom Death Grips once.

She didn't care for it much but she wasn't weirded out by it.
>>
My brother refuses to listen to anything that isn't Radio Metal, but he admitted that MF DOOM is alright
>>
File: I hope S3 animation is better.png (751KB, 1024x1080px) Image search: [Google]
I hope S3 animation is better.png
751KB, 1024x1080px
>>72589691
Well, when I was living with my parents, they let me play Pink Floyd loud. My mom likes them a bit, and my dad was into the typical classic rock so he was ok with it.

I don't know if that counts.
>>
File: 1493847789591.jpg (96KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
1493847789591.jpg
96KB, 894x894px
>>72590214
>filename
Do you want the animation to return to how it was in those early S1 episodes or be even different from that?
>>
>>72584736
I got my mom into Kanye West
>>
>>72589563
does he like wipers? show him the more punk-ish post punk. stop it with all that gloom and art punk man.
>>
File: s3 when.png (940KB, 1077x1080px) Image search: [Google]
s3 when.png
940KB, 1077x1080px
>>72590290
Yeah, I mean... You can compare both seasons and see that S1 animation looks a lot better. But well, I don't have too much problem with the current animation.
>>
File: qttellingtruthies.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
qttellingtruthies.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
is this a star thread?
anyway, I once brought my dad to the neutral milk hotel concert they had in Miami of '15 after my friend couldn't come. He said he "like it, kind of."

He doesn't comprehend the favor I did upon him.
>>
File: Janna_-_Girls'_Day_Out_profile.png (634KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Janna_-_Girls'_Day_Out_profile.png
634KB, 720x960px
Does this thread like Janna too?
>>
>>72591000
trips confirm janna is the best
>>
My Dad got me into good music desu. He was pretty patrician. He listened to stuff like The Replacements, Husker Du, Mission of Burma, Talking Heads, The Velvet Underground, Sunny Day Real Estate, Big Black, Uncle Tupelo, and Jesus Lizard.
>>
My dad had a start of a patrician taste but never quite developed beyond singles. I ended up somehow getting him into The Beatles and having him branch out deeper into what he already knew, so we ended up listening to a lot of Talking Heads and Joy Division and The Smiths and The Cure and New Order and just about most post-punk and new wave bands.

I eventually got him into Public Image Ltd. I don't even know how.

Mom doesn't really care for it, sister's into pop and eh... I'm not that keen on it.
>>
My younger sister actually got me into clipping, and I've been trying to get her into Death Grips. She isn't getting into them yet, though.
>>
>>72585376
Can anyone tell me what an album in the top row is? The one with the hockey player.

I remember listening to it a while ago and enjoying it but i definitely do not remember the name
>>
>>72585376
You seem like someone I would definitely hang out with
>>
>>72591275
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O2JdoFMIwk
>>
My dad listened to TPAB on Austin City Limits and thought it was meh
>>
>>72591376
This is just as good as i remember it thanks anon

I guess ill go ahead and recc you this because it sounds similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yETPxGm0So&t=258s
>>
GET THE C U C K OFF MY BOARD
>>
My dad has patrician taste
>>
>>72586863
nice story anon
>>
>>72591467
I'll check this out, thanks anon. Don't Hate Fuck is also a fantastic Attic Abasement album.
>>
>>72591322
Aw thx anon
>>
>>72584736
Back in high school I got my little sister into Cradle Of Filth and AFI.

About 7 years ago I got my younger cousin into The Mars Volta, TOOL, Puscifer, Animal Collective, and Genesis.

Nothing recently however.
>>
>>72585277
Nick Drake isn't exactly inaccessible so I find your 'normie' comment strange. Very good voice, coherent lyrics, clean acoustic guitar with occasional backing instruments, sad background story.

My mum actually got me into Nick Drake when I was a teenager, around 2002 or so when there was a huge resurgence in interest in him in the UK.
>>
>>72592597
What does he listen to?
>>
>>72587770
i'm sorry for your loss anon
>>
>>72589668
He has good taste then. Show him Gang of Four because they're closer to punk
>>
my sister's tastes very closely reflect mine. i got her into death grips, sigur rós, radiohead, etc

i got my dad into public service broadcasting

my mum doesn't like anything i listen to
>>
I forced my mom to listen to 36 Chambers in the car one time. Needless to say she doesn't have Wu Fever.
>>
I got my mom into Charles Bradley
I don't play too much music around her though
>>
File: 6.png (409KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
6.png
409KB, 600x800px
>>72584736
Those stupid things on her face really annoy me, I want to pinch her cheeks and bully her relentlessly for being a grievance in one's plain existence. On the actual topic no and I don't plan on it, if someone asks me to play something then I will within reason and if not then no. Of course when I went on a long trip with my parents I put on Remain in Light (and they loved it) though that's as far as the cookie crumbles.

>>72585400
Please tell me you're not the type to force your taste onto others? Anyhow at least they've tried new and interesting things so I suppose I can't fault you. Really need to try Lightning Bolt myself, its at the top of my list though I figured I'd wait a while until I could better appreciate noise rock (meaning listen to Albini's stuff before trying anything).

>>72585376
Surprised the don't like Spritualized, I've always imagined that the older strata would appreciate Ladies and Gentlemen... to a similar degree that we do, given its use of orchestration and 60's influence.

>>72589499
Really? How can one like Linkin Park and not Nine Inch Nails? That's ridiculous.
>>
I showed my mom and sister some britpop like Blur and Verve, prog like Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree or Genesis, post punk like Joy Division and The Cure and they seemed to like it
I think they would enjoy most stuff I listen to except metal
>>
it's not a problem for me, my parents are already into my music
my mum introduced me to new wave
my dad showed me ITAOTS for the first time
its nice to have young parents
>>
>>72599685
because nine inch nails is much more mature than linkin park
>>
I showed Drukqs to my brother and he liked it.
>>
>>72589636
underrated
>>
My father is pretty patrician, and I got most of my Prog-Rock taste from him. I introduced Hadestown by Mitchell to my brother and he loved it. It made me pretty happy, I probably should do it more.
>>
My dad listens to spanish pleb music (it's still amazing) and patrician music from his country.
My mom listens to what my dad likes and radio music. I play music while im in the car with my mom. She never shits on my music. I play anything on rotation in front of her - mbv, velvet underground, spacemen 3, duster, lilys, frank zappa, patrician Brazilian music, hip hop when I was younger, and spanish music.
>>
I got my dad into Sufjan and sometimes I catch him listening to a few songs I introduced to him here and there. One time he came home blasting Queen by Perfume Genius which was funny to me
>>
File: 1493859297443.png (349KB, 562x415px) Image search: [Google]
1493859297443.png
349KB, 562x415px
>>72599685
STAR IS NOT FOR BULLY
>>
File: 5.jpg (59KB, 549x652px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
59KB, 549x652px
>>72601304
By the looks of things she very much needs to be bullied, probably call her names, force her to make me cups of tea, tickle her and make her listen to Merzbow on repeat for 6 scrobbles. Alas, we are getting off topic here.
>>
>>72601380
Your definition of bullying is not that bad actually. The tickling part appeals to me the most.
>>
>>72601413
Star is cute though
>>
>>72601470
sorry I'm into goth girls
>>
>>72601495
well then you're in luck
>>
>>72584736
My mom will at least tolerate most things. I got her into Arcade Fire, Brand New, and Land of Talk.
I have kind of a second family and they'll listen to anything. They don't even mind Death Grips if we've been drinking.
>>
File: Mr.-Candle-Cares-20.png (534KB, 1276x716px) Image search: [Google]
Mr.-Candle-Cares-20.png
534KB, 1276x716px
>>72601495
gotchu covered
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.