[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can we agree that Unwound is way better than Sonic Youth?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: unwound02-e1359529260320 (2).jpg (76KB, 719x354px) Image search: [Google]
unwound02-e1359529260320 (2).jpg
76KB, 719x354px
can we agree that Unwound is way better than Sonic Youth?
>>
apples and oranges tbqh
unwound are more song-oriented while sonic youth is all about free form jams and improv
>>
>>72576874
Unwound are the only band that matters
>>
>>72576874
unwound wouldn't exist without sonic youth. they're both great bands though
>>
>>72576874
unwound is better than 90% of bands and sonic youth is worse in 100% of bands
>>
i swear every unwound song sounds exactly the same
>>
>>72576874
Unwound is my favorite band by far. I enjoy sonic youth but Unwound is on another level imo
>>
File: 1441482635870.png (102KB, 450x443px) Image search: [Google]
1441482635870.png
102KB, 450x443px
>>72576970
>worse
>>
Unwound just bores me desu
>>
>>72576991
>>72576973
have you even listened to leaves?
>>
>>72576939
>sonic youth is all about free form jams and improv
but not really. maybe their earlier stuff and the syr series, but most of their stuff from evol onwards is song oriented
>>
Sonic Youth is garbage and Unwound is okay so yes. We can.
>>
>>72576874
you might be right but that depends on what era sonic youth we're talking here because SST era sonic youth is objectively GOAT
>>
>all this hate for sonic youth
i honestly don't understand how somebody could like unwound but dislike sonic youth.
>>
>>72576998
not the whole thing
>>
>>72577046
it is a pretty long album. try starting from disc two
>>
>>72577036
>being surprised about /mu/ being contrarians
>>
>>72577036
because unwound is good and sonic youth is pretentious garbage
>>
>>72577068
haha XD
fuck you
>>
>>72577068
>pretentious garbage
nice meme buzzwords. you may as well have not said anything
>>
>>72577068
there was literally no substance to that post whatsoever
>>
>>72576973
I dont know what songs have you listened but they have a rather diverse discography.
>>
>>72576874
Well, lets see
I've heard of and listened to Sonic Youth
I have neither heard of nor heard Unwound

So, no
>>
>>72577068
there was once a time where "pretentious garbage" was a legitimate phrase that people took seriously
now you fuckers have abused it to the point at which it has no meaning
fuck you

that said, SY are indeed pretentious garbage
>>
>>72577147
they are pretentious but pretentious isnt a signpost for bad though.

or is this the new version of the lou reed talentless hack meme
>>
>>72577036
Maybe I Just haven't listened to Sonic Youth enough but they just don't seem to be that interesting. Fucking love Unwound tho, one of my favorite groups
>>
>>72577147
>>72577164
>>72577068
what the hell makes them pretentious? do you even know what that word means?
>>
File: 130-web.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
130-web.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
how do you fags feel about this?
>>
>>72577100
>nice meme buzzwords.
you can't just dismiss every opinion you disagree with by saying "le buzzwords xDDDD"
>>72577110
>there was literally no substance to that post whatsoever
would you like me to write a fucking thesis paper on why i think sonic youth is shit and unwound is good?
>>72577178
>what the hell makes them pretentious?
they like to affect this unearned sense of weight and meaning to their music when in reality it's just unskilled, boring, meandering, shit. pretty much the definition of pretentious.
basically they take themselves far too seriously considering how bad their actual music is.
>>
>>72577164
>they are pretentious but pretentious isnt a signpost for bad though.
no one said that. you're missing the "garbage" half of the phrase "pretentious garbage." the pretentiousness just makes their shitiness more unbearable, just like this autistic reverence people with no taste give them.
>>
>>72577221
>pretentious means they think theyre good when in actuality i dont enjoy them
fuck you
>>
>>72577221
>would you like me to write a fucking thesis paper on why i think sonic youth is shit and unwound is good?
He probably wants you to write SOMETHING to justify your point, there's a lot of room between a one off sentence and a thesis paper that you're ignoring.
>>
for some reason i always thought he was shouting "money motivates" on murder movies but he was actually shouting murder movies
>>
>>72577221
>would you like me to write a fucking thesis paper on why i think sonic youth is shit and unwound is good?
if you're really so ready to throw a tantrum about how bad they are, then you should at least provide a reason as to why you think they're bad.

right now all that you've said is
>i don't like their music, but they act like it's good so they're pretentious.

>boring
this is never a legitimate criticism of music
>unskilled
and that's just plain wrong
>>
>>72577263
yeah i was waiting for you to say that
they're hardly garbage for being pretentious or for people giving them reverence either

contextually sonic youth have a definite place in music history so if you're gonna say they're garbage at least give a legit fucking reason you ingrate

like i said is this the new lou reed hack meme
>>72577221

i mean if it helps remove the stick out of your arse then yeah, at least you might be able to make a point for the first time on this thread
also
>sonic youth
>unearned sense of weight and meaning
>unskilled
did you miss the part where half the band trained under avant garde composer glenn branca or is that make them worse musicians?
>>
No because Sonic Youth was kool enough to get their song in guitar hero
>>
>>72577206
Red Medicine is my jam

>>72577036
because Unwound are a far more interesting band to check out, their entire discography has merit and the journey they've made as a band is palpable once you get to their later albums.

you can't do that with SY, listen to Sister and you have listened to the one sound that SY has felt comfortable working with for over two fucking decades.

also SY is filled with unlikable Generation X losers, Thurston is probably up there with being one of the most unlikable musicians to ever exist.
>>
>>72577353
>Thurston is probably up there with being one of the most unlikable musicians to ever exist.
genuinely agree with this and i love SY
>>
>>72577298
>this is never a legitimate criticism of music
How exactly does one differentiate legitimate criticism from illegitimate criticism? Is it not legitimate to say that you don't like a band because they are boring?
>>
>>72577206
Cashout is the best thing they did.

t.poorfag
>>
>>72577380
anon you seem to be confused on the difference between criticism and opinion. criticism looks at objective and measurable qualities of the music. calling music boring is an opinion not a criticism.

>Is it not legitimate to say that you don't like a band because they are boring?
you can say you don't like them because you think they're boring but you can't say they're bad because they're boring
>>
>>72577353
>the journey they've made as a band is palpable once you get to their later albums.
>you can't do that with SY
can you actually not hear a palpable progression from confusion is sex to daydream nation? they started out as a noise act and they evolved into an almost poppy indie rock band.

>also SY is filled with unlikable Generation X losers, Thurston is probably up there with being one of the most unlikable musicians to ever exist.
true. but he's still a damn good musician
>>
>>72577036
sonic youth serves as a nice stepping stone into noise rock but once you get in touch with more interesting bands they just pale in comparison, they take exactly zero risks and are just too monotonous and safe for me to indulge into their stuff anymore.

also thurston moore and kim gordon both can't sing, they should've just called quits in the late 80's and spared the world of their horrendous dog shit of a 90's catalog.
>>
>>72577527
>more interesting bands
like who? most other noise rock bands play traditional rock music with noisy sounds on top or in the mixing.

the reason why sonic youth is so cool and unique is because they play music that sounds noisy because of the way that the music is composed. they use some weird-ass chords and tunings. melodically and harmonically there's nothing like them.
>>
File: Sonic-Youth-Washing-Machine.jpg (70KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic-Youth-Washing-Machine.jpg
70KB, 300x300px
>>72577527
>their horrendous dog shit of a 90's catalog.
ahem
>>
>>72577500
>can you actually not hear a palpable progression from confusion is sex to daydream nation?

i can, hence why i said later albums.

>>72577566
>like who?
>melodically and harmonically there's nothing like them.

polvo? u.s. maple? luxurious bags? if you want to get closer to their short lived abrasive side i would suggest scratch acid or flipper.

>>72577587
thanks for further substantiating my point.
>>
>>72577696
wow you really hate sonic youth
>>
>>72577036
Sonic Youth are fairly popular like Radiohead, while Unwound only became popular here because a few tripfags put them on their charts and since then they have achieved sacred cow status. It's basic /mu/ mentality not to like the popular artist and instead gush over the underground one. See the guy in this thread who's showing pathological hatred towards SY without any substantial reason for it.
>>
>>72577812
>while Unwound only became popular here because a few tripfags put them on their charts and since then they have achieved sacred cow status.

yeah unwound wasn't an acclaimed band before /mu/ became a thing.
>>
>>72577842
Not as much as Sonic Youth, no. Like I said they only became a comon band to see on /mu/ after they were spammed by tripfags.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.