[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the appeal?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: mediocrity.jpg (238KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
mediocrity.jpg
238KB, 1000x1000px
Seriously, what's so special about this album? I've listened to it a few times and I can't wrap my head around why it's considered to be so great. Before I heard it, I knew about it by reputation. I was expecting some sort of folky, acoustic experimental punk album, something in the vein of the Violent Femmes debut. What I got was some very safe, milquetoast acoustic pop punk album. Now I thought maybe my expectations were too high, so I gave it another listen, and my opinion stays the same. There are obviously some standout tracks, but most of it is very unoriginal. This isn't to say that the album is bad, it's not bad, but there's seriously nothing original about it. The guy's voice is plain, the guitar playing is plain, the song structure and style are plain, the only thing that isn't plain is that some of the songs feature mildly out of the ordinary instruments. I sincerely cannot understand why this thing is held in such high regard.
>>
>>72570876

18+
>>
It's not as important to /mu/ as it used to be, it's more rymcore now? I guess people like it for it's above-average lyrics and quirky production, but it's nothing special in any regard. I've listened to tens of thousands of discs and I rate it 6.2/10.0
>>
>>72570876
bump
>>
>>72570876
>>72570939
>Can't transcend.
>>
>>72570876
As a person who still holds this as one of their favorite albums, I can tell you the emotional weight of Jeff's delivery and the tone/production of the music itself creates the spark between the listener and this album.
I think it's funny that you'd call it "pop punk" even though
Holland 1945 is the only song that slightly fits that, but I don't deny the punk influence.
Basically learn a bit about the band members (Julian and Jeff mainly) and read along with the lyrics if you decide to listen again.
The relationship the listener creates with the album is one of the reasons (I think) so many people love it.
>>
You either get it or you don't. IAOTS is a very simple and brash record musically, but it's the way the sounds blend like Jeff's voice, the guitar tone, the compression etc. Same with the lyrics, it describes a world or it can just describe a dude's love for jesus christ.

>in b4 rym cringe
>>
garage punk-influenced nasal baroque pop noise folk

It's literally a perfect storm of hipster music. It's like if every song used in a Wes Anderson soundtrack attended an orgy.
>>
>>72570876
Good lyrics that follow a solid emotional narrative with a tonal and lyrical arc following through. It makes it really feel like a whole and complete package. The pacing of tracks is very well and it all has this sort of sonic consistency that makes it feel like it came from a very specific nostalgic period of time.

Jeff's voice is fun and unique and a lot of lyrics create great imaginative imagery.

The music itself is simple, so many songs use extremely basic chord progressions, but I think they are more of a vehicle for the lyrics than anything. But i'd admit that its not complex, but it is pleasant.
>>
>>72572505
*a steampunk orgy

There's something for everyone with this album. It brings together Joy Division fans with Steam-Powered Giraffe fans.
>>
>>72570939
Wasn't it literally voted our top album when we did that bracket contest?

>>I was expecting some sort of folky, acoustic experimental punk album, something in the vein of the Violent Femmes debut. What I got was some very safe, milquetoast acoustic pop punk album.

How is that different from the Violent Femmes' debut?

I mean, there are a few mucore albums that have definitely lost popularity/positive consensus around here (The Money Store, Hospice, MPP). But Aeroplane isn't one of them, as much as I wish it was.
>>
>>72572709
Violent Femmes debut is hardly safe or milquetoast. It can be pretty abrasive at times and hardly mellow at all. Only mellow song is the closing track, and maybe Please Do Not Go. Plus it was absolutely cutting edge, there weren't truly any albums that sounded like that one when it came out. Can't say the same for In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.

>>72572221
>>72572435
>>72572578
The point of my post wasn't to say that the album is bad, I just don't understand why it's considered to be one of the best albums of all time when musically it's pretty unoriginal. I do appreciate all the responses here, they do add some understanding. I just can't justify ranking it so high, to me it was pleasant but nothing to write home about at all. I knew my expectations would be too high, and I've returned to it multiple times, when I was in the mood for that type of music, but I really can't get behind it.
>>
"soft and sweet"
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.